Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

38 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This is where we have to remember that we are playing from behind due to choices from the old regime. They made some really bad choices and it’s going to echo for a few years.

There are a bunch of first round prospects that I’d rather draft than QB.

I like MHJ, Bowers, Nabers, XL, Verse, Chop, Kool Aid, Fashanu, Alt, Fuaga, Beebe, Kinchens, Dejean all more than I like any of the QBs, if I’m being honest.

But given how things are aligning now that we have more info I just can’t see us not going QB at 2. It just makes sense to me.

Maybe Peters trades back with one of our twos and gets more picks to get more guys. There are ways to get more capital…

But I don’t know that passing on QBs is the way to do it.

One way to get more capital is to trade players we have on roster know.

I think Allen is the prime candidate to be traded.

15 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Id still like to keep Alle but if say the Packers offered a 2nd and 4th for him itd be hard to say no. 

17 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I thought that too and would be open to either he or Payne being moved, however the initial message from Harris/Peters doesn’t suggest we’ll be offloading ‘talent’.

That said, Allen might want out. Who knows.

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

I thought that too and would be open to either he or Payne being moved, however the initial message from Harris/Peters doesn’t suggest we’ll be offloading ‘talent’.

That said, Allen might want out. Who knows.

You trade Allen and keep Payne. Payne is just as good if not better and he is younger. I definitely see them shopping Allen. And I like the move get good value for a aging pro vet while he still has value. And free up cap space for some more big time free agents. 

They need to get a QB.  They can not kick the can down the road indefinitely.  If they do, they are extremely likely to end up nowhere.

Which QB depends on their player evaluations.  If they are very positive on Maye or Daniels, take them at #2.  If they aren’t confident in either of those two, but fall in love with one of Nix/McCarthy/Penix, then trade down, accumulate more assets, and take your guy.

I kind of have no choice but to trust their evaluation and hope for the best.

There are no QB prospects in any draft who are guaranteed to succeed, and every QB decision has risks, but the potential upside of getting it correct is enormous.

• Thumb up 2

Just read where Detroit traded 6 times during the 2023 NFL draft. Some to move back, some to move up. It netted them Gibbs, Laporta, Brian Branch and Hendon Hooker among others. If Hooker works out this would certainly be an organization changing draft for Detroit. They started with the #6 overall and traded back to 12 and picked up #34 too. Hooker was an early 3rd round pick. Just an example of how Detroit used the draft to help get them to where they are. 

Not comparing our situation to Detroit', just thought it was interesting how many times they traded in the draft to get the guys they wanted. Not sure Ron knew you were even allowed to trade during the draft? Hell, he didn't know you could be eliminated from the playoffs before the season ended.

• Like 2

Im on the side of if we can't get Caleb then let's trade back and acquire more picks and get a QB in the 2nd round for a battle with Howell. Im not in love with Maye and the more I watch Lamar the less Daniels looks like him lol. In a re-draft the No 1 overall pick QBs Goff and Baker would probably go 10-20 range imo which is evident how their original teams discarded them the first chance they got. At the same time they have turned out to be QBs you can win with if the rest of the team is sound top to bottom. I feel there is baby Mahomes (Caleb) then everyone else.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TrustTheProcessHTTR said:

Im on the side of if we can't get Caleb then let's trade back and acquire more picks and get a QB in the 2nd round for a battle with Howell. Im not in love with Maye and the more I watch Lamar the less Daniels looks like him lol. In a re-draft the No 1 overall pick QBs Goff and Baker would probably go 10-20 range imo which is evident how their original teams discarded them the first chance they got. At the same time they have turned out to be QBs you can win with if the rest of the team is sound top to bottom. I feel there is baby Mahomes (Caleb) then everyone else.

So the words of the GMs posted earlier does not mean anything to you?  Obviously we are all entitled to our opinions, it's what makes this fun.  But I'm not sure how we can just ignore the reports on Maye and roll out Howell and a 2nd rounder.  

55 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Its crazy to me how so many of you guys wanna pass up on drafting a franchise QB. Did you learn nothing from 2020?

Some people are super risk adverse. But drafting a first round QB (not even trading up) is not even much of a risk. If he fails, try again. You have to find a QB. It’s the most cost effective and best chance to do it. Especially now, the cost of FA QBs is insane. I’m still so thankful we have the number two pick we are so ****ing lucky.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

Some people are super risk adverse. But drafting a first round QB (not even trading up) is not even much of a risk. If he fails, try again. You have to find a QB. It’s the most cost effective and best chance to do it. Especially now, the cost of FA QBs is insane. I’m still so thankful we have the number two pick we are so ****ing lucky.

Well said.

And its not like Maye is some mediocre prospect either. People dont seem to grasp how talented he is and how lucky we are to be in this position.

• Like 1

If we were to trade out of our spot we would have to do so for a proven top 15 guy. IE swap our first rounders with Arizona for Kyler and draft MHJ or trade down with the 4th pick. Easier said than done and probably not what Peters would do as it would be a win now move. The point is we need to use this potent draft position to get our QB.

15 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Just read where Detroit traded 6 times during the 2023 NFL draft. Some to move back, some to move up. It netted them Gibbs, Laporta, Brian Branch and Hendon Hooker among others. If Hooker works out this would certainly be an organization changing draft for Detroit. They started with the #6 overall and traded back to 12 and picked up #34 too. Hooker was an early 3rd round pick. Just an example of how Detroit used the draft to help get them to where they are. 

Not comparing our situation to Detroit', just thought it was interesting how many times they traded in the draft to get the guys they wanted. Not sure Ron knew you were even allowed to trade during the draft? Hell, he didn't know you could be eliminated from the playoffs before the season ended.

If we had our franchise QB like Detriot did, I'd be OK with trading back in the future though feel mixed about it.  I always love it in real time but the results mostly sucked when we've done it in the past.  But maybe a regime that knows what they are doing.

Cerrato with the trades back netting Thomas, Kelly, Davis.  Trading down with Dallas, they got Dexter Lawrence we got Trent Murphy and nothing much else.  The trade down with the Texans so they can get Watt and we can get both Kerrigan and Jenkins.  The trade down with Seattle so they can get Tyler Lockett and we get Crowder and not much else.

The last trade down for a spell looked good but it might not be aging well.  Passing over Olave and Hamilton who look like studs for Dotson, Robinson, Howell.  But we got time to see how that pans out.

There might not be a team in the NFL who has had less star power-elite players than this team over decades now.  It might be part of the reason that no team has had less All Pros than any other or the only who hasn't won more than 10 games in 30 plus years or the only one not making it to the championship game in 30 plus years.

SF has elite players throughout the roster and were willing to trade for some of them.  Granted some of them were taking later in the draft.  Game changing-elite players move the needle clearly.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Who would have thought that one day we would have dreamed of being the Detroit Lions. 

So much of it seems to be about coaching. Dan Campbell has raised the bar there and his players have responded. Also, lets see how Goff does on the road in SF....wouldn't it be something if the 1st game match-up of the NFL season also turned out to be the last game? Seems like forever ago when Detroit won in KC on that Thursday night in September. 

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Who would have thought that one day we would have dreamed of being the Detroit Lions. 

I wanted to be after this years draft!

Love their coach and all the players do too. Barnes's post game interview complimented that guy like you rarely ever hear

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

So much of it seems to be about coaching. Dan Campbell has raised the bar there and his players have responded. Also, lets see how Goff does on the road in SF....wouldn't it be something if the 1st game match-up of the NFL season also turned out to be the last game? Seems like forever ago when Detroit won in KC on that Thursday night in September. 

They are seriously stacked with talent. Be interesting to see how they recover from a potential purge on their key coaching staff.

Clearly the major talking point is what we do at #2 and how we balance that with our void at QB.

The Lions are a good case to look at -

4 first round picks in the last 2 years. 
18 top ‘101’ picks in 4 years. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, seantaylor=god said:

Agree.  And this post isn't directed to anyone specifically. 

I think some liked Ron and Bruce more than they are willing to accede.  At least aspects to how they operated even if they didn't like the messengers or their competence acting on their approach.   I get both are punchlines now.  So bringing it up feels like a shot.  But I don't mean it as a shot.   I didn't like Bruce.  I liked Ron until 2023 and then I didn't.  Both weren't good at their jobs but neither I think were dumb.  

They both were very risk averse.  Neither swung for the fences.  Both were good with mediocrity.  When Harris cited that there isn't a short cut to being great but there is a short cut to be mediocre it rang so strong with me.  Because the quick race to mediocrity felt so both of Ron-Bruce.  And not that they didn't want to do better than so so.  But so so was fine with them.  At least you are relevant for much of the season and you have a shot.

They really really didn't want to suck and they seemed to operate based on that.  Larry Michael of all people summed up Bruce's philosophy once really well.  This team might look so so and be hovering around 500 but all it takes is some lucky breaks and then you are in the playoffs and then in the playoffs anything can happen.  If you suck you have no shot at the playoffs, etc.   So try to be relevant and mediocrity can easily turn up higher with some breaks.

I know he's seen now as a moron and a buffoon.  But I recall the debates in real time well.  Bruce had strong supporters.  It got weaker over time but he had a good run with fan support here until it fell apart.  You still see vestiges of that regime in debates today but without being attributed to Bruce.    Mainly the argument that aggressivness = bad-foolish.  How can we avoid risk?  Boring is fine, boring wins.  Stuff like that.  I used to see that all imputed to Bruce. 

Now that Bruce is uncool -- its not attributed to him but more of this being sold the adult pragamatic smart way to build a team.  And the ones who disgree are emotional Cerrato types who want fun sexy-moves but that's putting fun over winning.  It's the same Bruce > Cerrato arguments but without their names mentioned.  And I get it we've seen both approaches fail here.  But IMO that's because of incompetence nothing more.  

I used to get it to some extent.  Heck I enjoyed the 9-7 2015 playoff run.  I went to see them play in NO in 2017 and while they lost it was fun to see them go toe to toe with Drew Brees.  The team wasn't great.  But it was competitive.  And it felt enough for me at that time.

But I've really soured over that since those years.  I want to be a first tier team, not a low end 2nd tier team at best.  I get you can swing and try to be a first tier team and a big miss can mean you still suck.  But I am not interested in a high floor anymore.  I want that high ceiling.

If I am going for the high floor, sign Russell Wilson or Kirk in FA.  Take Marvin Harrison Jr. or trade down and grab Alt.  I do think we'd have a quick shot back at 9-8.  And I get the appeal that has to some.  I also get some think it might feel like a so so operation but what if we get lucky and draft Stover and he becomes the next Kittle.  Or Howell over time becomes the new Kirk, etc.  It's not that I think its not possible.  But I think the odds of sustained success playing things that way is low.  I do think the floor is higher.  And I think some are into that.  To each their own.  I used to care about having a high floor but I'd rather now fail and crash and burn multiple times if need be to get to the promised land.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  And this post isn't directed to anyone specifically. 

I think some liked Ron and Bruce more than they are willing to accede.  At least aspects to how they operated even if they didn't like the messengers or their competence acting on their approach.   I get both are punchlines now.  So bringing it up feels like a shot.  But I don't mean it as a shot.   I didn't like Bruce.  I liked Ron until 2023 and then I didn't.  Both weren't good at their jobs but neither I think were dumb.  

They both were very risk adverse.  Neither swung for the fences.  Both were good with mediocrity.  When Harris cited that there isn't a short cut to being great but there is a short cut to be mediocre it rang so strong with me.  Because the quick race to mediocrity felt so both of Ron-Bruce.  And not that they didn't want to do better than so so.  But so so was fine with them.  At least you are relevant for much of the season and you have a shot.

They really really didn't want to suck and they seemed to be operate based on that.  Larry Michael of all people summed up Bruce's philosophy once really well.  This team might look so so and be hovering around 500 but all it takes is some lucky breaks and then you are in the playoffs and then in the playoffs anything can happen.  If you suck you have no shot at the playoffs, etc.   So try to be relevant and mediocrity can easily turn up higher with some breaks.

I know he's seen now as a moron and a buffoon.  But I recall the debates in real time well.  Bruce had strong supporters.  It got weaker over time but he had a good run with fan support here until it fell apart.  You still see vestiges of that regime in debates today but without being attributed to Bruce.    Mainly the argument that aggressivness = bad-foolish.  How can we avoid risk?  Boring is fine, boring wins.  Stuff like that.  I used to see that all imputed to Bruce. 

Now that Bruce is uncool -- its not attributed to him but more of this being sold the adult pragamatic smart way to build a team.  And the ones who disgree as emotional Cerrato types.    It's the same Bruce > Cerrato arguments but without their names mentioned.  And I get it we've seen both approaches fail here.  But IMO that's because of incompetence nothing more.

I used to get it to some extent.  Heck I enjoyed thre 9-7 2015 playoff run.  I went to see them play in NO in 2017 and while they lost it was fun to see them go toe to toe with Drew Brees.  The team wasn't great.  But it was competitive.  And it felt enough for me at that time.

But I've really soured over that since those years.  I want to be a first tier team, not a low end 2nd tier team at best.  I get you can swing and try to be a first tier team and a big miss can mean you still suck.  But I am not interested in a high floor anymore.  I want that high ceiling.

If I am going for the high floor, sign Russell Wilson or Kirk in FA.  Take Marvin Harrison Jr. or trade down and grab Alt.  I do think we'd have a quick shot back at 9-8.  And I get the appeal that has to some.  I also get some think it might feel like a so so operation but would if we get lucky and draft Stover and he becomes the next Kittle.  Or Howell over time becomes the new Kirk, etc.  It's not that I think its not possible.  But I think the odds of sustained success playing things that way is low.  I do think the floor is higher.  And I think some are into that.  To each their own.  I used to care about having a high floor but I'd rather now fail and crash and burn multiple times if need be to get to the promised land.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Lets take a swing to get out of football poverty.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I used to care about having a high floor but I'd rather now fail and crash and burn multiple times if need be to get to the promised land.

Totally agree. We need to go for the best who are in realistic striking distance.

• Like 1

Just now, Est.1974 said:

Washington #2

Arizona #4, #27, #66

Who’s doing that if they want to jump to get MHJ, assuming Williams goes #1 

Why would Zona do that? They know teams 1-3 are going QB. They can sit and get MHjr giving up nothing extra.