Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Youre gonna hear a bunch of scouts saying a bunch of different things. One guy had RATTLER as his num1. Chris Simms had Zach Wilson num1 in 2021. 

A bunch of people were high on Zach Wilson, especially after his pro day. It was this throw in particular that people said was the most spectacular thing they ever saw

Simms to me is good at evaluating QBs. He has missed on some like everyone but I always like that he does his own thing and listening to his reasoning. 

• Like 3

2022 Daniels was rough. New school, new conference, new system, new OC, etc. What I like is all the stories about him going to the coaches after 2022 and saying "I don't want to just be better, I want to be elite" and all the work he did. I am ok with rough patches, all QBs go through them, but when people not only talk about changing but actually do work and improve? Love it! This is a good article

It's very long but here are some EXCERPTS since it's behind a paywall:

Jayden Daniels woke up at 5 a.m., as he does every other weekday, and drove to LSU’s facility before the sun rose. Wearing designer sweatpants and a hoodie, Daniels turned on a projector in the quarterback room to watch third-down clips from Alabama’s game against Tennessee. He sat there for an hour last Wednesday, alone with a notepad and pen, the only light coming from the screen as he maintained his routine.

Daniels had asked for extended access to the building when he came back to school, and he started watching film at 5:30 a.m. the week before LSU's season opener against Florida State, something he did not do last year. He has ever since, sometimes by himself and other days with receivers. Daniels likes the calm quiet of an early morning.

“I don't have to worry about any other distractions,” Daniels said. “I'm pretty much the only one in the building at the time. It's me, myself and my thoughts.”

After LSU lost the SEC championship game last season, Daniels spent a couple weeks considering his future. He had thrown for 2,913 yards with 17 touchdowns and three interceptions while rushing for 885 yards in his first season after transferring from Arizona State. But NFL teams thought he was hesitant.

Daniels believed he could be a first-round pick. When he met with LSU coach Brian Kelly, he asked, “What do y'all see, and what can I do?”

LSU presented a plan for Daniels’ weight and technical development that identified what he needed to improve and how he would get there. Charted to the day on a spreadsheet, the offseason plan was devised by quarterbacks coach Joe Sloan, offensive analyst Dean Petzing and Daniels.

The scheme mixed long-term goals with incremental checkpoints set along the way. Daniels needed to gain 15 pounds, which worked out to about 3 pounds a month. He wanted to throw for 4,000 yards. Broken down, that only meant three or four more deep completions per game.

It was all about improvement in the margins. He had to make the small but more difficult leap from good to great.

“I don't want to come back and be the same player,” Daniels said. “If that was the case, I might as well have left last year.”

As the offseason started, Daniels watched film on his own and with coaches when rules allowed. He evaluated all the deep balls and sacks, as well as full games from his first season at LSU. For instance, Daniels compared when he threw for 80 yards against Auburn to 349 yards and three touchdowns two weeks later at Florida. He had to understand his strengths and address his weaknesses.

“He lived in this building watching film and learning the offense,” Kelly said. “He knows it so well that when I'm sitting in those meetings, it's amazing the progression that he has made relative to understanding all the nuances of the offense. That's on him. He did that.”

Daniels took what he learned into LSU’s walk-through room and then onto the field. During the offseason, he asked Nabers and the other receivers to throw when they had nothing else happening on a Friday or Saturday night. Once, they worked on routes at the indoor practice facility until 11:30 p.m.

“He trusted us more and more as we got to know him,” Nabers said.

Whenever the players had time off, Daniels worked with his personal coaches. He went to Dallas during Mardi Gras for a session. He spent spring break back home in Southern California to train. He flew there again three times during the summer, including for a couple days at the end of July before preseason camp. Taylor Kelly came to Baton Rouge last week during the open date.

Daniels’ family lives an hour away from the 3DQB facility in Huntington Beach, California. He drove there early in the morning to throw and lift before heading back across Los Angeles by the early afternoon. At one point, he rented an Airbnb for a couple days to ease his commute.

Taylor Kelly, a former Arizona State quarterback himself, has worked with Daniels for a couple years. They started trying to make his throwing motion repeatable by applying ground force last offseason, and they continued the work this year. Daniels said he had to “use my lower half more and not rely so much on my arm.”

During sessions, Daniels had to throw hard on every rep, regardless of the route, so he understood how to control his body at maximum effort. Sometimes, he tossed weighted balls. Radar guns measured his velocity, and coaches would tell Daniels to hit 54 or 55 mph. They wanted to shrink his misses, having him aim for a logo instead of a shoulder, even under pressure.

“If it's third-and-8 and he has to be able to rip it in there,” Taylor Kelly said, “he knows exactly what his body's going to do, and he knows how to do it.”

In the past, Taylor Kelly had seen flashes of what Daniels could do but he lacked consistency. That changed this summer.

Jack Marucci thought there had to be a way to virtually simulate what quarterbacks experienced during games.

LSU’s director of performance innovation is always looking for insights, and as technology has progressed, he wanted to find a system that let players run through plays while seeing detailed copies of opposing stadiums, down to the location of play clocks.

Once the system was available, Daniels tried it the week LSU played Mississippi State. Since then, he has put on the headset three times per week for an hour after practice to get extra reps against the next defense and familiarize himself with stadiums. Daniels moved to the indoor practice field after he almost ran into trash cans in the walk-through room.

There, Mario Macaluso, a performance innovation and analytics assistant, calls offensive plays LSU uploaded into the system. With goggles and a controller, Daniels reps them against defensive looks the upcoming team showed on film. He goes through them at a faster pace than in the games. After he hears the play, Daniels has 8 seconds to identify coverages and make his pre-snap reads.

“The virtual reality that I do helps out a lot,” Daniels said.

Daniels paired the virtual-reality training with his film study. He got in the habit of waking up early when LSU had morning practices this spring, and he liked how much time he had to get things done. He could watch film without rushing himself, then go through the athletic training room before meetings and practice.

Every weekday this season, Daniels has come to the facility for his 5:30 a.m. film study. He often watches by himself on Monday, when LSU usually doesn’t practice. Other players come the rest of the week, depending on their schedules. Daniels feels “most proud of” how his teammates joined him at such an early hour.

“Last year, we weren't doing this at all,” Daniels said. “It showed. We were prepared, but when I decided to come back this year, I wanted to figure out ways I could take that next step and take my game to another level. Obviously, the receivers wanted to take their game to another level. It's something I started, and I invited them because we all need to be on the same page.”

Their extra time in the film room and on the practice field created chemistry and trust. Daniels and the receivers spent hours going through the route tree so they all knew exactly where to be on any given play against any coverage. The result has been an offense ranked in the top 3 nationally in passes over 20, 30 and 40 yards.

“Small windows that he's been throwing the ball in are just tremendous,” Nabers said. “When we come out of routes, the ball's already in the air.”

In Week 4 against Arkansas, Daniels struggled for most of the first half, throwing a rare interception while LSU punted twice.

Between drives in the second quarter, Sloan pointed out Daniels' front leg was collapsing, causing him to lean forward. Daniels couldn’t plant his back foot correctly at the top of his drop. He fixed the mechanical flaw and finished with 320 yards passing and four touchdowns in the win.

“He's making those in-game adjustments,” Taylor Kelly said, “and that's pretty impressive to do in a game and still play at a very high level.”

Jim Nagy has repeatedly said he's impressed by how much Daniels has learned and how fast he's grown

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I love Maye but would be okay with Daniels tbh. Just gotta design a scheme around him like we did for RG3, hope his body fills out some, and hope he doesnt have that RG3 egomania.

I don't want a QB who they need to build a scheme around him, I don't ever went to read "hope" when discussing our QB prospect.  I have also grow tired of undersized QBs, I do believe that is a disadvantage.  Although I can certainly see why posters are promoting Jayden Daniels, his potential is scary good, I just see too much risk at a pick they really need to get right.  But as others have said I totally trust Peters and whatever decision they make I'll be fine with.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

You dont mess around when it comes to QBs. You have a shot at one you take it.

Drafting Haskins was a great move then, huh? 

I mean we needed a QB and he was the highest ranked and we took him.

That's your hard lined logic? 

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Drafting Haskins was a great move then, huh? 

I mean we needed a QB and he was the highest ranked and we took him.

That's your hard lined logic? 

Dan Snyder wanted Haskins. No football people had him that highly ranked.

• Thumb up 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Dan Snyder wanted Haskins. No football people had him that highly ranked.

We had a shot at one, we took it. Could have taken Sweat at 15 and passed on QB, but you don't do that?

If they view Maye as Trubisky, you are saying they should take him? No other way to think about it?

That's bad drafting.

• Thumb up 2

I just don’t understand the logic of picking a ‘safe’ QB at #2 the draft. You have to take a chance on the higher ceiling prospect if you choose to stay in that #2 pick, so that would be Williams or Daniels IMO. 

I’m sure Rivera would play it safe. Yuk.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I just don’t understand the logic of picking a ‘safe’ QB at #2 the draft. You have to take a chance on the higher ceiling prospect if you choose to stay in that #2 pick, so that would be Williams or Daniels IMO. 

I’m sure Rivera would play it safe. Yuk.

I think Maye has a higher ceiling than Daniels because of his mental game and he’s actually two years younger.

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We had a shot at one, we took it. Could have taken Sweat at 15 and passed on QB, but you don't do that?

If they view Maye as Trubisky, you are saying they should take him? No other way to think about it?

That's bad drafting.

I dont think drafting Maye or even Daniels is the same as the owner reaching for Haskins. That’s a false equivalency.

• Like 1

I love Maye but would be okay with Daniels tbh. Just gotta design a scheme around him like we did for RG3, hope his body fills out some, and hope he doesnt have that RG3 egomania.

Maye is my guy.   I also touted Daniels months back on the QB thread and got some grief for it.  My main issue with Daniels is can he physically survive the NFL.

We are picking #2 in a highly touted draft for QBs.  It would be weird for this organization especially to do the VERY rare thing that you almost never see happen which is a QB needy team just pass on it when picking high, so i don't expect that to happen.  Only off chance IMO it happens is if Peters just loves one among Nix, Penix, McCarthy and trades down.

But simply put, I think there is a beter chance I am the QB of this team next year than it is they don't come out with a Qb in the first round.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think Maye has a higher ceiling than Daniels because of his mental game and he’s actually two years younger.

I dont think drafting Maye or even Daniels is the same as the owner reaching for Haskins. That’s a false equivalency.

Snyder used your exact logic and forced the pick. 

By saying "you don't pass on a QB", you are justifying Snyder make that bad pick.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maye is my guy.   I also touted Daniels months back on the QB thread and got some grief for it.  My main issue with Daniels is can he physically survive the NFL.

We are picking #2 in a highly touted draft for QBs.  It would be weird for this organization especially to do the VERY rare thing that you almost never see happen which is a QB needy team just pass on it when picking high, so i don't expect that to happen.  Only off chance IMO it happens is if Peters just loves Nix, Peniz, McCarthy and trades down.

But simply put, I think there is a beter chance I am the QB of this team next year than it is they don't come out with a Qb in the first round.

Yep JD just has too much of that RG3 body and running style. Terrifies me. 

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

By saying "you don't pass on a QB", you are justifying Snyder make that bad pick.

My point is you dont pass on a blue chip QB in the first year of a new regime. Haskins was not blue chip and none of the football people wanted him.

By all counts, there are at least three highly regarded blue chip QB prospects and we have a guaranteed shot at one of them.

Now fine, if the new regime truly doesnt like any of them, then dont take one. But thats a BIG TIME minority opinion and not one we should seriously consider as realistic given the information we have right now.

Of course things can change between combine, workouts, senior bowl etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep JD just has too much of that RG3 body and running style. Terrifies me. 

Love him as runner even more than RG3.  And I also posted eons ago on the Qb thread similar material touting his work ethic that is posted here.  As a passer, good deep ball. Decent arm strength -- not great.  Doesn't throw the ball in harms way but that for me is a double edge sword because he also doesn't like to throw in tight windows and in the NFL you have to throw in tight windows.   But I've seen enough to be good with him as a passer.  The thing with me with Daniels is simple.   His superpower is running and can he sustain that in the NFL?  I don't know.  it's a wildcard for me.   But If I was picking third and that's who was left, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Love him as runner even more than RG3.  And I also posted eons ago on the Qb thread similar material touting his work ethic that is posted here.  As a passer, good deep ball. Decent arm strength -- not great.  Doesn't throw the ball in harms way but that for me is a double edge sword because he also doesn't like to throw in tight windows and in the NFL you have to throw in tight windows.   But I've seen enough to be good with him as a passer.  The thing with me with Daniels is simple.   His superpower is running and can he sustain that in the NFL?  I don't know.  it's a wildcard for me.   But If I was picking third and that's who was left, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Yep in total agreement here. Thats why Im sooo glad we’re picking 2nd. The flexibility is great. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

Hire a HC

Trade up to #1 for Williams.

If they truly love Williams and dont like the others and the entire organization is on the same page then yeah, go for it.

Id take that a million times over “trade down and draft a freaking Tackle”

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I get your point.   Don't force a pick at QB.  Agree.   But that point often applies perfectly to picking in the middle of the first.  Where you got the left overs.    Not so much picking top 2 unless its considered a crap draft for QBs.

With Haskins, I think Dan would have taken him no matter where they were picking versus this being the best QB left.  As Keim said Dan would tell people during that college season that Haskins is the best player in college football.  Dan was absolutely smitten with Haskins.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I get your point.   Don't force a pick at QB.  Agree.   But that point often applies perfectly to picking in the middle of the first.  Where you got the left overs.    Not so much picking top 2 unless its considered a crap draft for QBs.

With Haskins, I think Dan would have taken him no matter where they were picking versus this being the best QB left.  As Keim said Dan would tell people during that college season that Haskins is the best player in college football.  Dan was absolutely smitten with Haskins.

Yes thank you.

Taking a QB 2nd in THIS draft is NOT forcing the pick. Youre taking a shot at a blue chipper who can completely change the course of your franchise.

Its just silly comparing taking a Maye or even Daniels 2nd overall to the drafting of Dewey Haskins(rest his soul).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yes thank you.

Taking a QB 2nd in THIS draft is NOT forcing the pick. Youre taking a shot at a blue chipper who can completely change the course of your franchise.

Its just silly comparing taking a Maye or even Daniels 2nd overall to the drafting of Dewey Haskins(rest his soul).

I've been consistent on this.  Even back when it looked like we had no shot at picking high when some proposed trading up for Maye-Caleb -- I thought it was unrealistic for teams picking top 2 to trade those picks to us because who does that?  It's rare for a QB needy team to trade out of the pick let alone in this draft with QBs at the top who have been touted for years.   

From Breer who is well connected in the league.  And Daniels is highly regarded, too. So that's 3 guys.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/12/14/mailbag-drake-maye-caleb-williams-draft-prospects

Comparing Drake Maye and Caleb Williams to the NFL’s Recent Draft Stars

A closer look at the top two QB prospects hints at an enticing consensus for teams with high draft picks.

From johnwinger (@johnwinger98524): According to personnel people, how do Caleb and Drake stack up compared to the last 3 years of qbs, if they were all in the same draft?

ADVERTISEMENT

John, so I had an idea, but just to double back, I sent a few texts out to see where the two stood now, with both players’ college careers likely complete. (Pending Caleb Williams’s call on playing in USC’s bowl game, but since that bowl is the Holiday Bowl … I’d guess his next game action comes next summer in the NFL’s preseason.)

And it turns out the consensus is even stronger than what I’d imagined it’d be.

One AFC exec said he believes Caleb Williams and Drake Maye would’ve been the first and second quarterbacks taken in 2023 and ’22, in addition to this year, and they would’ve been the second and third guys to go in ’21, behind only Trevor Lawrence. An NFC exec went a step further, texting that, based on film, he’d have Williams and Maye “definitely above them all other than Lawrence,” then said he’d go, in order, “Caleb, Trevor, Drake.” An AFC college director added he sees this year’s top two as the “best since Trevor Lawrence.”

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I get your point, I just don't think Maye and Daniels are the guaranteed slam dunk picks that most people do.

I get the whole New GM, New young HC, draft your QB rebuild idea and I love that to.

But there are a lot of ways to build a team and we're going to be a contender fast. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I get your point, I just don't think Maye and Daniels are the guaranteed slam dunk picks that most people do.

I get the whole New GM, New young HC, draft your QB rebuild idea and I love that to.

But there are a lot of ways to build a team and we're going to be a contender fast. 

This is a more hyped QB draft than the typical one. I get that it’s impossible to get everyone here to universally love any QB draft - thinking back on it.

So some here or elsewhere having doubts about it I get it - it comes with any draft.  No one is a sure thing. Every player at every spot has flaws I agree.

But I think it would be VERY wild for Peters to not go QB in this draft and if he does it - it better work because if it doesn’t and it blows up on him then as much as I’ve touted him on the GM thread I’ll be on the front of the line wanting him fired.  I think almost no chance it happens though 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is a more hyped QB draft than the typical one. I get that it’s impossible to get everyone here to universally love any QB draft - thinking back on it.

So some here or elsewhere having doubts about it I get it - it comes with any draft.  No one is a sure thing. Every player at every spot has flaws I agree.

But I think it would be VERY wild for Peters to not go QB in this draft and if he does it - it better work because if it doesn’t and it blows up on him then as much as I’ve touted him on the GM thread I’ll be on the front of the line wanting him fired.  I think almost no chance it happens though 

Pretty funny that you were a big supporter of getting Wilson a couple years ago and I was against it and now we've kind of flipped.  :ols:

I want the rookie QB, too, but also more picks. I also don't enjoy QB talk, so me making a rational argument about the possible reality of it, is just enjoyable.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Pretty funny that you were a big supporter of getting Wilson a couple years ago and I was against it and now we've kind of flipped.  :ols:

I want the rookie QB, too, but also more picks. I also don't enjoy QB talk, so me making a rational argument about the possible reality of it, is just enjoyable.  

It's all about where we are picking and what draft it is.  Picking after the top 10 in one of the most maligned draft for QBs in eons -- why would I want to draft a QB that high? And imagine if we did?  That draft isn't looking hot for QB.  So the personnel guys right now look on the money about it.

This draft conversely has been hyped for years at Qb and we are picking 2nd.

It's like comparing being in some random suburbia town with subpar restaurants and passing on a restautant and comparing it to why not pass on a restaurant in Manhattan, too.

I get that its possible that the 5-6 or so random posters here and on twitter aren't as high on this QB class might end up right compared to scouts-personnel guys.  Anything is possible.   And its boring to run with consensus.  I do it sometimes, too.  I like running with some outlier opinons.  But some outlier opinions aren't swaying me off doing what's the obvious thing to do.

I've been waiting for decades to land in the top 2 in a draft that is hyped for QBs.  This is the first time, its happened.  So in that contexrt no way.  Zero shot.  I'd entertain walking out of the party the one time we are invited.  We've watched the NFL with years where other teams with franchise QBs are almost always in the playoffs.   We have a rare shot to join them, i am taking that shot.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/38249736/usc-caleb-williams-north-carolina-drake-maye-scouting-nfl-draft

Multiple scouts mentioned that in most years, Maye would make a fine No. 1 overall pick. He has the size, mechanics and pedigree, as his father was also a UNC quarterback and threw for more than 3,400 yards and had a cup of coffee in the NFL.

The most interesting part about Maye was that essentially a year ago, he was in a battle for the starting job at North Carolina. He narrowly beat out Jacolby Criswell, who has since transferred to Arkansas, and has rocketed to notoriety.

Maye threw for 38 touchdowns and seven interceptions last year, finishing the season with 4,321 yards. He completed 66.2% of his passes and led the Tar Heels to a 9-1 start before UNC dropped its final four games. His 45 combined touchdowns (38 passing, 7 rushing) were the most by a freshman in ACC history.

"I think the arm talent, combined with size and instincts, is what separates him from a lot of guys," a scout said. "For a young player, he's so far along and has so many tools. What's unique about him is the height and vision to see the whole field and obviously the arm talent to make all the throws.

"He plays really aggressively from the pocket. What he's really good at is seeing the rush and, for a big guy, he can really move around and is athletic enough to create on his own."

Last year, Maye needed that athleticism. UNC did one of the worst jobs protecting the quarterback of any team in college football, finishing No. 101 in the country by allowing 40 sacks.

He was pressured on an astounding 37.3% of his dropbacks last year, the 11th-highest rate in the country per ESPN Stats & Information research. That unit's improvement -- and the eligibility of star transfer receiver Tez Walker -- will go a long way in determining if Maye can lead UNC to the school's first ACC title since 1980.

"He just sort of plays under duress and is really productive under duress," the scout said. "They don't protect him as well as other places, so you see him under duress and he makes plays. That enhances him at our level."

Some of the Maye draft momentum came from his pro day, when he threw to former teammate and current Indianapolis Colts rookie Josh Downs.

"He looked like he'd added 15 pounds since the regular season ended; he looked like a guy with a Justin Herbert-kind of build," said a scout who was at the pro day. "I feel like his throwing at that pro day will help him a lot. Josh didn't have to slow up for a football. It was because of Drake. That's one of those things that's going to propel him."

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

On 1/19/2024 at 6:08 PM, mistertim said:

:ols:  Having DJ Moore doesn't compensate for missing out on an elite franchise QB. Your spin here is beyond hilarious.

Please avoid using the name DJ Moore and the word "spin" together in your posts.

It makes me think that I am once again reading about some megastar musical act that I have never heard of. #old**** 

On 1/19/2024 at 6:08 PM, mistertim said:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

This is where we have to remember that we are playing from behind due to choices from the old regime. They made some really bad choices and it’s going to echo for a few years.

There are a bunch of first round prospects that I’d rather draft than QB.

I like MHJ, Bowers, Nabers, XL, Verse, Chop, Kool Aid, Fashanu, Alt, Fuaga, Beebe, Kinchens, Dejean all more than I like any of the QBs, if I’m being honest.

But given how things are aligning now that we have more info I just can’t see us not going QB at 2. It just makes sense to me.

Maybe Peters trades back with one of our twos and gets more picks to get more guys. There are ways to get more capital…

But I don’t know that passing on QBs is the way to do it.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This is where we have to remember that we are playing from behind due to choices from the old regime. They made some really bad choices and it’s going to echo for a few years.

There are a bunch of first round prospects that I’d rather draft than QB.

I like MHJ, Bowers, Nabers, XL, Verse, Chop, Kool Aid, Fashanu, Alt, Fuaga, Beebe, Kinchens, Dejean all more than I like any of the QBs, if I’m being honest.

But given how things are aligning now that we have more info I just can’t see us not going QB at 2. It just makes sense to me.

Maybe Peters trades back with one of our twos and gets more picks to get more guys. There are ways to get more capital…

But I don’t know that passing on QBs is the way to do it.

Yeah, I'm kind of in love with this entire first round to the point that just grabbing a QB would feel deflating.  :ols: 

I want a JMS style draft this year, because the first three rounds are dripping with talent.

I'd also be happy to go Maye, XL, Beebe, JPJ, Paul, Sinnott, Liufau, Kyree, Cupp