Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

46 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Texans ran the Joe Gibbs/Mark Rypien sprint bomb play today where the QB rolls far to his right and then throws a bomb to a wide open receiver for an easy TD. Gorgeous play that's an easy throw for a QB with an arm. Rypien was brilliant on this play. 

Bill Lazor put that in. He loved Gibbs, and absorbed a great deal from him. I'm a Labor fan, and I think people undervalue his contributions to that Texans O, as I've said before.

• Like 2

Marvin Harrison Jr. is a combination of CD Lamb and Larry Fitzgerald....he's a surefire NFL star and likely all time Redskin/Commander if you draft him. Are you sure you wanna pass on him to take a QB who may or may not pan out? I'm not. In fact, I'd take MHJ at #3 (after dealing with NE) and then grab either Nix or JJ McCarthy in round 2. Let Howell and the rookie QB play it out for starting QB and pick up the extra 1st round pick from NE in 2025. In this scenario we lock down a stud WR to go with Terry and Dotson and still have two 1st round picks in 2025 in case neither QB we already have pans out. 

If Purdy can work out in SF then so can JJ McCarthy or Bo Nix or even Sam Howell here in DC given a solid coaching staff and more weapons like Marvin Harrison Jr. and a revamped offensive line. Thank you, peace be with you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

You dont pass up on premium QB prospects. Period.

Honest question. If Maye is off the board and Caleb shows to be a complete Diva. Do you go with the top WR or a not a slam dunk QB?

8 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Honest question. If Maye is off the board and Caleb shows to be a complete Diva. Do you go with the top WR or a not a slam dunk QB?

I believe Caleb is a diva as much as anyone but if hes there at 2 and Maye isnt Im still taking him. The talent is just too tantalizing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I believe Caleb is a diva as much as anyone but if hes there at 2 and Maye isnt Im still taking him. The talent is just too tantalizing. 

Ya I think this is a no brainer.

The bigger question to me is if Caleb doesn’t declare (still think he will) and Maye goes one.

I think we probably go Daniels, but I have some very real bust concerns with him. I think he’s a full notch below Williams and Maye and closer to the second tier than many others think.

The draw is his elite athleticism, though. And if he is developed well that can be a big tool in the development.

48 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Ya I think this is a no brainer.

The bigger question to me is if Caleb doesn’t declare (still think he will) and Maye goes one.

I think we probably go Daniels, but I have some very real bust concerns with him. I think he’s a full notch below Williams and Maye and closer to the second tier than many others think.

The draw is his elite athleticism, though. And if he is developed well that can be a big tool in the development.

I’m not draft guru by any stretch but the more I saw him play and the more he grew under the offensive scheme of Kelly at LSU I think Jayden Daniels is the real deal, I think the sky is the limit for him and him transferring to LSU brought out the best in him and gave him tons of confidence, and with the right coaching (Slowik or Johnson) I could see him being very similar if not better then what your seeing CJ Stroud do, add to it he’d have McLaurin and hopefully the new HC and/or OC can get the best out of Jahan Dotson which we haven’t seen yet.  I’d take Daniels over both Maye and Williams… to be honest Maye is Daniel Jones 2.0 imho… their last game in the regular season against Clemson he looked like a true freshman and wasn’t impressive at all… at best he’s a poor man’s Jared Goff 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

You dont pass up on premium QB prospects. Period.

Plenty of evidence to suggest you can, see NY Football Jets.

Give me Kyler Murray or Fields plus Harrison and a slew of O lineman in the 2nd-3rd rounds.

Pick up Devin White and/or Brian Burns in FA.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Give me Kyler Murray or Fields plus Harrison and a slew of O lineman in the 2nd-3rd rounds.

The Jets are your example of that being a good idea to be successful?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I have to admit, watching the highlight reels of Caleb W and Drake Maye does not give me the warm and fuzzies... Williams seems more like Kyler Murray or maybe Vince Young than Mahomes, and Maye seems more like Daniel Jones.  I hope I'm wrong, but the common denominator among teams that continually fail is  blowing top picks for QBs in weak years (Jets, Snyderskins, etc.).  

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

I’m not draft guru by any stretch but the more I saw him play and the more he grew under the offensive scheme of Kelly at LSU I think Jayden Daniels is the real deal, I think the sky is the limit for him and him transferring to LSU brought out the best in him and gave him tons of confidence, and with the right coaching (Slowik or Johnson) I could see him being very similar if not better then what your seeing CJ Stroud do, add to it he’d have McLaurin and hopefully the new HC and/or OC can get the best out of Jahan Dotson which we haven’t seen yet.  I’d take Daniels over both Maye and Williams… to be honest Maye is Daniel Jones 2.0 imho… their last game in the regular season against Clemson he looked like a true freshman and wasn’t impressive at all… at best he’s a poor man’s Jared Goff 

This is one of my primary concerns with Daniels:

He hasn’t proven that he has the ability to consistently perform at a high level as a thrower of the football when moved off his spot. He will need that ability without a doubt at the next level, and it’s tough to gamble on being able to project that given his small sample size (unless you look at his prior years, which weren’t all that great).

I am curious to see what an OC from the Shanahan tree, like Slowik, can do with a QB like Daniels… we saw a glimpse of it with RG3, and Daniels is a much better runner and protects himself better (though he’s still not great at this).

But Daniels is still a tier below Williams/Maye for me given the concerns I have with him as a processor and thrower and his age vs the other two. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Rex Tomb said:

I’m not thinking it’s a good idea to reach on guys that aren’t necessarily Andrew Luck type talents (can’t miss). 

In that case you would only be drafting a QB every ~30 years… the only prospect who was viewed as much of a “can’t miss” as Luck was John Elway (maybe Peyton Manning as well according to some).  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

In that case you would only be drafting a QB every ~30 years… the only prospect who was viewed as much of a “can’t miss” as Luck was John Elway (maybe Peyton Manning as well according to some).  

Yep just got to go for it. Get your guy in the building and go from there….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Build the offensive line, take a trade back and grab Fashanu.  I’m not thinking it’s a good idea to reach on guys that aren’t necessarily Andrew Luck type talents (can’t miss). 

This is a great offensive line draft. I prefer Alt to Fashanu only because of less questions. I believe Alt comes in and becomes close to a Chris Samuels type player. My biggest problem is I love Nabers and MHJ. I believe they both will become top 10 receivers in the next 3 years.

Williams, if he were 6' 3" tall and weighed 225 lbs. would be the consensus #1 pick at QB.  Drake Maye if he had the moves and grooves like Williams could/would be the #1 pick at QB and the same could be said for Daniels if his frame was bigger than 210 lbs. of muscle.  There are issues with each QB but they all have some kind of special trait that makes them unique and in the NFL that is very much QB driven you want to find your next Brady, Elway, Montana, Marino and so on.  I was on the Daniels train for a very long time with Maye being my 1B.  I have separated and have Maye as my #1 because when I put everything together, I think he's the best of the bunch.  Now, everyone has a different flavor but when you have the #2 pick and you don't have to mortgage your next 2 or 3 drafts away to move up, your make your move at QB.  If you disagree, that's great.  We all have opinions and those who have different opinions open our eyes to see things we, in our own eyes, don't see.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

40 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

I have to admit, watching the highlight reels of Caleb W and Drake Maye does not give me the warm and fuzzies... Williams seems more like Kyler Murray or maybe Vince Young than Mahomes, and Maye seems more like Daniel Jones.  I hope I'm wrong, but the common denominator among teams that continually fail is  blowing top picks for QBs in weak years (Jets, Snyderskins, etc.).  

YES!!!! And it's not drafting out of fear. If the talent is there at #2 then by all means take Maye or Daniels but don't pass on a potential hall of famer to grab a 50/50 proposition. Also, if we trade back with NE we can get an extra 1st next year and look at that QB crop in addition to this years. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I am usually in the camp of don’t draft a guy high just because he’s a QB. I think that can cripple you.

However… that’s in a normal draft where you have one pick each round or less.

In this draft we have 5 picks in the top 100. 

Go for the swing.

As long as Williams or Maye are there. If it’s Daniels… well we need to have a conversation…

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

As has been pointed out, the Jets suck. But I’m also curious why you used them as an example of a team that passes up premium quarterback prospects? The last time they were in position to draft a premium quarterback prospect, they drafted… A quarterback.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

54 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

As has been pointed out, the Jets suck. But I’m also curious why you used them as an example of a team that passes up premium quarterback prospects? The last time they were in position to draft a premium quarterback prospect, they drafted… A quarterback.

You guys are missing his point. He's saying that passing on "premium QB talent" is acceptable because sometimes going for "premium QB talent" means picking another Zach Wilson, the second overall pick of his draft.

I was against picking a QB earlier in the season when I had hope that Howell wasn't completely shot, but I can see the need to try now. Even so, you can't deny he has a point. Unfortunately, the same can be said of other talents besides QBs. We got premium DE talent with Chase Young. Woof. There are busts at every position, doesn't matter when they're picked.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

Build the offensive line, take a trade back and grab Fashanu.  I’m not thinking it’s a good idea to reach on guys that aren’t necessarily Andrew Luck type talents (can’t miss). 

Maye at 1 wouldn’t be a reach let alone 2. 

• Like 2