Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

Who did you think they should have traded down with and picked in 2020?

There are numerous great players at the top of that draft and throughout the draft. I would have been happy with them taking Tua, Thomas and Wirfs early in the first.

A trade back that I loved....1999 still ended up with the player we wanted, Champ Bailey 

Just now, DWinzit said:

There are numerous great players at the top of that draft and throughout the draft. I would have been happy with them taking Tua, Thomas and Wirfs early in the first.

A trade back that I loved....1999 still ended up with the player we wanted, Champ Bailey 

You were advocating for them to trade back and take those guys in 2020?

Chase wasn't a reach by the way. He was universally considered the best or second best player in that class, and he was a stud his rookie year.  Won DROY and made the Probowl with a 14 AV season as a rookie.  He suffered a devastating knee injury his second season and it derailed his career here.  The much more problematic picks have been the first round reaches in Davis, Dotson, and Forbes.

That Champ Bailey trade required Mike Ditka's utter mismanagement of draft picks to pull off.  I don't see a trade like that ever happening again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

8 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I regretted them not trading down many years compared to many of the selections they made.

I regretted them taking Chase Young. I was never on board with taking him. We tossed a great opportunity to dramatically strengthen the roster and set the team up for the future. That was a selection you strongly wanted if memory serves me correctly. Generational Talent!

the teams most likely to have traded up are on of the teams who would have drafted a QB with the spot.  Like the only team we could have traded with and still ended up with a QB would have been to the Dolphins at 5 and then we could have gotten Herbert

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Yes, but ended up blowing the 2nd. picks, I think?

4 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Young would be the reason you don't trade up, Panthers traded up the future for the no.1.  The Bears have their no.1 pick in the whole draft this year. Either way do not mortgage next year's no.1 to move up. No reason to panic like Carolina.  

Well that is only true in hindsight because the Panthers took the wrong player. Maybe the Texans would have taken Stroud at #1 also and just got lucky that he was still there at #2. It's maybe why they fell in love with Will Anderson and weren't ready to give up on him once Stroud was available?!

The point is: If you are confident in your guy, try to secure him. 

8 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

You were advocating for them to trade back and take those guys in 2020?

I wanted them to fill the roster with talent. The roster had tons of holes and needed an influx of talent. I was not advocating for any one player but they were my three favorites, none at pick 2. It was the opportunity to turn the team around. Any of those players with the plethora of other players that would have been added to the roster would have been the ballsier and best move for the future of this team

Chase wasn't a reach by the way. He was universally considered the best or second best player in that class, and he was a stud his rookie year.  Won DROY and made the Probowl with a 14 AV season as a rookie.  He suffered a devastating knee injury his second season and it derailed his career here.  The much more problematic picks have been the first round reaches in Davis, Dotson, and Forbes.

No, of course he wasn't a reach, he was a generational player and obvious selection. I know, it's all I heard.

We are on the same page with so many reaches but that was my initial point. In general, this team has sucked on making good draft decisions. 

That Champ Bailey trade required Mike Ditka's utter mismanagement of draft picks to pull off.  I don't see a trade like that ever happening again.

Every year there are head scratching moves and picks. It will happen again.

9 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Yes, but ended up blowing the 2nd. picks, I think?

Jon Jansen?

1 minute ago, Panninho said:

Well that is only true in hindsight because the Panthers took the wrong player. Maybe the Texans would have taken Stroud at #1 also and just got lucky that he was still there at #2. It's maybe why they fell in love with Will Anderson and weren't ready to give up on him once Stroud was available?!

The point is: If you are confident in your guy, try to secure him. 

But they didn't take Stroud no.1 and they got Anderson too by not trading up. Maybe missing out on Anderson was not a option and they were happy with either QB that fell to them? Carolina's staff blew it, Houston's staff made the right choice. That's what it is going to come down to for wash and their choices. 

14 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I wanted them to fill the roster with talent. The roster had tons of holes and needed an influx of talent. I was not advocating for any one player but they were my three favorites, none at pick 2. It was the opportunity to turn the team around. Any of those players with the plethora of other players that would have been added to the roster would have been the ballsier and best move for the future of this team

No, of course he wasn't a reach, he was a generational player and obvious selection. I know, it's all I heard.

We are on the same page with so many reaches but that was my initial point. In general, this team has sucked on making good draft decisions. 

Every year there are head scratching moves and picks. It will happen again.

Jon Jansen?

Did it not cost them a bundle to get Jansen? And not much in return for the picks with the trade down. Jansen was a decent pick nothing special.

42 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Technically, we traded up for him. After Ditka foolishly gave us his entire draft, we had moved from number five back to number 12. We then traded back up from 12 to 7 I think to get champ. 

• Like 1

Just now, woodpecker said:

Technically, we traded up for him. After Ditka foolishly gave us his entire draft, we had moved from number five back to number 12. We then traded back up from 12 to 7 I think to get champ. 

It all began with a trade back. 

13 minutes ago, MrJL said:

go Saints

That would mean that if the Pats win we could actually root for a win, wouldn't it

Nope.  The Giants would leapfrog us if they lose.  A Giants win today is probably the biggest game of the weekend that doesn’t affect us if we lose.  I want them as far down in the draft as possible.

basically, I’m rooting like heck for the Saints in the early afternoon.  If they are up big, then I’m kind of rooting for the pats to lose to ensure that NYG doesn’t move up in the draft.  Ditto Arizona losing later in the day

Edited by mhd24

1 minute ago, mhd24 said:

Nope.  The Giants would leapfrog us if they lose.  A Giants win today is probably the biggest game of the weekend that doesn’t affect us if we lose.  I want them as far down in the draft as possible

Although the odds are probably a hundred thousand to one that would be the ultimate nightmare scenario where we draft 4th and the giants second.

Just now, redskinss said:

Although the odds are probably a hundred thousand to one that would be the ultimate nightmare scenario where we draft 4th and the giants second.

Yup.  Hopefully Philly rests everyone assuming that Dallas crushes us.  

Root hard for GB.  Moves us up in the 2nd round with the Bears pick.  Also root hard for Vegas as well to make the Giants have a tougher SOS.  That’s why the Saints game is so critical.  A saints win helps us immensely while also increasing NYG and NE’s SOS

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

It all began with a trade back. 

Yes they chose to pass up Champ to take the extra picks. Had to it was too good a deal to pass up. Luckily he fell to where they could come back up and get him. What a great draft it was for us either way! 24 years ago, unironically the last time we had a real GM. It’s been Snyder hell ever since.

• Like 1

Basically, an ideal outcome after today is:

1). Chicago (via Carolina)

2). Wash (4-13)

3). NE (5-12)

4). LAC (5-12)

5). Tenn (5-12)

6). Arizona (5-12)

7). NYJ (6-11)

8.  NYG (6-11)

This would require (Saints, Pats, Arizona, and NYG winning & Chargers & Titans losing).  This would result in us getting the 2nd pick in each round as well as a higher Bears pick in the 2nd (would be 43 overall).  It also gets NYG down in the draft.

Edited by mhd24
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

How in the world are the Eagles only favored by 4.5?   

two games we need to focus on.  Losing to Dallas and saints over falcons.  If one these don’t go our way our chances at the #2 start to seriously dwindle.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, redskinss said:

It all has a effect on 2nd 3rd.........picks and the rotation of tied teams with the same record, We want to lose no matter what and NE and Arizona also. As the best option and leaves us with 4 wins and a whole list of 5win teams that will be part of the rotation order for later picks.( Winning is not a option). If all 3 of the 4 win teams lose we rotate for later picks.

6 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

It all has a effect on 2nd 3rd.........picks and the rotation of tied teams with the same record, We want to lose no matter what and NE and Arizona also. As the best option and leaves us with 4 wins and a whole list of 5win teams that will be part of the rotation order for later picks.( Winning is not a option). If all 3 of the 4 win teams lose we rotate for later picks.

Yup.  That's why the Saints game is so CRITICAL.  With that said, I also don't want NYG anywhere near the top 4 picks, so I'm good with Arizona & NE losing as long as we lose (assuming the Saints win OR GB & Vegas win).

I'm good with rotating the picks if NYG isn't in a position to draft any of the top QBs.

Edited by mhd24
  • Thumb up 1

It hadn’t really registered with me how close the Giants are to getting one of the top 3 guys.

Honestly, they could possibly still get one at 5, if the draft breaks their way. Or, if the bears wind up taking Marvin Harrison, I could the the Arizona being willing to move off their pick and trade it to the Giants. 

12 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

All good points about the Giants (I didn't realize that either). 

But to be honest, I'm still nervous about us, NE, and NO taking care of business just to make sure we get our 2nd overall pick. 

I'm the least nervous about us LOL.  Dallas has a ton to play for to ensure they get the #2 seed and avoid SF until the title game.