Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

1 hour ago, ntotoro said:

Drake Maye 2nd? No.

I disagree. If Caleb goes one. I would hope we are running our card up quickly with Maye on it at number two.

37 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

This is getting skewed a bit. He is 2 years and 3 months older than Maye. 

He had injuries (a concern to consider with him)

He had two seasons with over 250 pass attempts, his last two. Only 700 or less more attempts In his college career than Maye.

his body of work is essentially his last two years in Washington 

he is also doing way more to win his teams against tougher competition 

Mayes toughest 3 game skate of competition was Duke, Clemson, NC State

he went 1-2, 4 TDS and 4 ints, with a 56.4% completion % 

Just underwhelming 

Penix has multiple forst round players on that offense around him. Maye had ZERO. And this is coming from a guy who is a Penix fan. I like him. But as far as prospects go he isnt close to Maye. For many different reasons. Age and health being the biggest two. 

• Like 4

Granted, evaluation and analysis of future NFL quarterbacks is not exactly my wheelhouse, and I’ve only seen highlights, but I didn’t get super excited when I watched Drake May. Outside of his body, there wasn’t anything that stood out to me as special.

2 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Granted, evaluation and analysis of future NFL quarterbacks is not exactly my wheelhouse, and I’ve only seen highlights, but I didn’t get super excited when I watched Drake May. Outside of his body, there wasn’t anything that stood out to me as special.

Watch this. It is an extremely honest take on Maye. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I disagree. If Caleb goes one. I would hope we are running our card up quickly with Maye on it at number two.

Penix has multiple forst round players on that offense around him. Maye had ZERO. And this is coming from a guy who is a Penix fan. I like him. But as far as prospects go he isnt close to Maye. For many different reasons. Age and health being the biggest two. 

Age is a silly reason at 2 years different. They will come in on the same rookie deal and it’s not like this is baseball with development and projection, each would have 2-3 years max to prove themselves at the next level 

injury is a concern that can or cannot be looked past depending on what the medical teams determine with him 

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Yep, that is certainly key given where we are picking. And that’s why trading up, or at least seriously attempting to, has to be an option if the main meal is going to go #1 overall.

I am open to everything as long as the result is getting the top QB they want.

I am very intrigued by Caleb, Drake and Jayden.  I guess that's boring here because many here seem out on at least one or two of them.  But of course it doesn't matter what I think.  But I'll just say it wouldn't shock me if this FO also dug all three and didn't feel compelled to trade up.  But if they did want to trade up, that's fine with me. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

11 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Maye chose and plays in the weak ACC this year over Alabama, he should have made UNC better you think? Penix made some really good throws last night in a big game win and no.14. Caleb's backup threw 6 TD's and beat Louisville with same DEF, something Caleb could not do last year against Tulane. Daniels, they did not miss him yesterday LSU rolled. 

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Well, with a win, by my calculations after reviewing the standings on Tankathon, the NYJ would fall from pick 8 to pick 12 if they beat the Pats so they have very good reasons to lose too. We could be looking at a 3-3 tie which works for us. 

Yeah, but the entire Jet's staff is coming back, the difference between 8-12 isn't that much, it's in the same "tier" and they have a good roster and think they're getting Rodgers back.

I look at them a lot the way I looked at Detroit last year when they won their finale against Green Bay (I think).  For them, the win was important.  It knocked off a division rival, kept momentum going into the off-season and set the direction.

I think the Jets are going to play it the same way.  They'll want to send Bill out with a loss (if Bill goes anywhere, I'm still dubious), prove they have a good roster minus QB, and move into the off-season.

I think the game is a complete toss up.  We want the Pats to win.  But they are BAD.  The Jets might really try to win this game, and if they do, and the Pats are uninterested, they have a good shot.

Ideally, Kraft makes an announcement Bill is coming back next year this week.  If he does, the team is going to be well motivated to put good play on tape because boss-man is sticking around. 

EDIT: I think I contradicted myself from a previous post.  Which really means I have no idea who's going to be motivated to do what.

If Bill is coming back, MAYBE the players play harder to try and get the win, but Bill will be interested in losing to get the pick.  Who knows.

A tie would be ideal.  :)

Edited by Voice_of_Reason

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

How good do you think he is?

Just curious where you think he'd go if injuries were of no concern at all, would he be in serious contention for number 1?

He's fun to watch.   But only watched him in real time I haven't studied him so I have no hard opinion on him just yet.

Caleb and Drake IMO had just OK receiving weapons.  Rice is good and Walker is good IMO for USC and NC but nothing special.  And they didn't have anything special aside from them.

Jayden Daniels had a top 10 WR in this draft and a dude who likely goes late first or early 2nd.  And his third receiver is good, too.  Ditto with Washington.  Top 10 WR in this draft and a dude who likely goes late first or early 2nd and his third receiver is good, too.  Not that it negates anything.  But its a factor IMO is evaluating those 4 QBs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Justin Fields, the Chicago Bears and a quarterback conundrum

The early assessment from people around the league is that USC's Williams and North Carolina's Maye comprise Tier 1 of the 2024 quarterback class. LSU's Jayden Daniels, the 2023 Heisman Trophy winner, is a possible third entrant.

The belief is this draft class is stronger at quarterback than those of the previous two years. At this early stage, Williams and Maye are viewed as high-level, long-term NFL starters, with Williams' elite traits -- improvisation and off-schedule playmaking -- fueling his case to become the No. 1 pick. One NFL personnel man called Williams "one of the best I've seen in a long time" in terms of his passing abilities and playmaking. A number of teams, including those that lose out on this week's No. 2 derby, could have interest in trading for Chicago's top selection.

A top pick also comes with at least four years of contractual control on a rookie pay scale, which would help Chicago strengthen the roster around the newcomer. Fields has one year remaining on his rookie deal, plus a fifth-year option in 2025 that the Bears would have to exercise or decline if they don't award him a new contract.

If the Bears traded the first pick, the return could be immense. Several executives agree Chicago could net more than it did in the Panthers trade, and from a prospective trade partner already picking in the top five. Those execs believe the price to get to No. 1 could be two future first-rounders on top of this year's pick, along with a variation of a Day 2 pick and/or a premium veteran player on a manageable contract.

While assessing the market for the No. 1 pick, the Bears must also determine what they could get back in a trade involving Fields.

The consensus in an informal poll of league evaluators is that Fields would be worth a second- or third-round pick in a pre-draft trade. When compared to former top-10 picks recently traded, that's better than Trey Lance, whom Dallas acquired from San Francisco for a fourth-round pick, but slightly worse than Sam Darnold, who, along with a sixth-round pick, went from the Jets to Carolina in exchange for second- and fourth-rounders.

"If you want to build an offense in a certain way around [Fields], then it can work behind a good offensive line and a dual-threat running game," an AFC executive said. "And he can make plays with his arm strength, for sure."

One AFC executive sees Atlanta as a good fit for Fields, who he believes would thrive in a system with designed quarterback runs, or one inspired by the Gary Kubiak coaching tree that creates off play-action. Falcons coach Arthur Smith was Tennessee's offensive coordinator during Ryan Tannehill's best stretch as an NFL quarterback. While Fields has superior physical tools to Tannehill, both can be schemed in similar ways as mobile players with plus arm strength.

"If you have to throw the ball 35 times a game with Fields, then you might run into challenges," the exec said. "But that doesn't mean that you can't have success with him and that he can't win throwing the ball. He just needs the right offense and support system."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39219170/chicago-bears-quarterback-justin-fields-caleb-williams-drake-maye-no-1-pick-2024-nfl-draft

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

I’m probably trading back if I’m the bears a hall. If they are right and fields is the guy they set themselves up to be dominant and loaded with talent 

Not sure they are sure based on reading that article 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39219170/chicago-bears-quarterback-justin-fields-caleb-williams-drake-maye-no-1-pick-2024-nfl-draft

Through Sunday's games, Fields ranks last in the NFL this season among 31 qualified quarterbacks in fourth-quarter completion percentage (51.8%), is 25th in yards per attempt (5.9), tied for 29th in fourth-quarter interceptions (6) and 30th in QBR (20.4), per ESPN Stats & Information research.

Since joining the league in 2021, Fields is last among 38 qualified quarterbacks in fourth-quarter interceptions (16), 36th in completion percentage (56.2%) and 33rd in QBR (41.4). Conversely, his touchdown-to-interception ratio of 4.3 in the first three quarters this season is the NFL's fourth best among 31 qualified quarterbacks.

When evaluators around the league watch Fields, they can't help but notice what holds him back -- mainly, a tendency to hold on to the ball too long from the pocket, failing to see routes develop. He's last in the league among 31 qualified quarterbacks in average time per pass (3.23 seconds) in 2023, and last among 38 qualified quarterbacks in that metric since entering the league (3.10 seconds). In 37 career starts, Fields has surpassed 225 passing yards six times. Eighteen NFL starters average at least 230 yards per game this season.

"I just think we know what [Fields] is at this point -- a great athlete and playmaker who misses some throws he shouldn't or doesn't always take the throws available to him," one NFC executive told ESPN. "You can win some games with him, and he's got some elements to his game that are really impressive, but it's not sustainable long-term from a pocket-passing standpoint, in my opinion."

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Take the PFF out of it, this feels a little like recency bias. Which happens, and I have no problem with it unless the GM has it.  

Add the PFF into it, it feels a little bit like recency bias + Chris Collinsworth “look at me I’m the story” bias.  

I have no opinion one way or the other.

The one clip I watched with this guy he seemed to be moderately knowledgeable and pushed back on the other PFF guys tinfoil hat theory about Sean Peyton being cursed by the Gods or something. 

PFF actually isn't that into Penix ironically.  But you are right its in the heat of the emotion of the game

Listening to 106.7 the fan right now and some fans make me sick. Some fans want to beat the Cowboys for nothing else but pride. Why would you want to screw yourself up for additional years to make you feel better for 1 day.

I rather swallow my pride to set my self up to dominate the Cowboys for the next decade.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

14 hours ago, Conn said:

Kiper’s just one person, I believe in you to find others 

Man, I spent some time this AM using Zach Wilson as an example. Going through the reviews, everyone hedges their bets on the Pros/Cons. This image was the clearest evaluation I could find, and it basically says he could be great or could suck. The mock drafts going back over years are a trip. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-mock-drafts-2021-mel-kiper-daniel-jeremiah-todd-mcshay/1617ssdcd8ijx1n618dgx8ibgu

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/20/nfl-mock-draft-san-francisco-49ers-justin-fields-tackles

Makes me think about this draft. If Washington's new GM and coach love X QB and that player is there, take him. If they are that worried he'll be gone and they feel that is their guy. Try to make a move for him. If they can't get that guy, and they don't also love the next guy at that position. Do you still take him because they need a QB? That's a front-office philosophy question. If they LOVE Caleb Williams but not Drake Maye and Maye falls to them with Williams gone. Some teams will still take Maye because the value of that position. Others say "Yeah, this sucks. But then, who is the next guy we LOVE? Can you only get him at that slot you're in? Can you trade back and still get him? If not, do you take him higher than he's projected?

I imagine for a really good front office. That's a lot of fun and heartburn at the same time. The rush must be insane when they make that decision.

To tie a bow on this. Today, Jan 2, 2024. I personally don't LOVE any of the QBs projected at the top of the draft today. I get the insane things Caleb Williams did at USC and the throws he made. Then we read the "We're a Team Now" yells during their bowl game with the backup QB breaking school records in their bowl game. Is he a Diva? I don't know. While he is taller than Howell and not "short", he's like 6'1 vs. 6'4 with Drake Maye. Does that matter when more shorter QBs are succeeding? 

Ok, Drake Maye LOOKS like an NFL QB. Tall, Strong, etc. Did playing in a down-year ACC inflate his stats? I don't know. Josh Allen didn't come from the SEC and he looks pretty awesome at times. When you read the "cons" about him now, they say that he doesn't read defenses well, or like Sam, takes some bad sacks, or doesn't throw on the run well. 

Jaylen Daniels. Has the height. Will put on some weight probably. Folks say he does read the field well and gets rid of the ball faster. But might not have the strongest arm, and has been banged up a few times.

I could like any one of those guys while not loving any of them today. There you go, @Conn.  I might have been the 56th person to join ES all those years ago, but I can still contribute when I try. I was the person who posted Joe Gibbs was coming back before anyone else here after George Michael (RIP) Reported it. That will forever be my shining moment here. 

2024-01-02_08-37-31.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just now, djpapeleta360 said:

Listening to 106.7 the fan right now and some fans make me sick. Some fans want to beat the Cowboys for nothing else but pride. Why would you want to screw yourself up for additional years to make you feel better for 1 day.

I rather swallow my pride to set my self up to dominate the Cowboys for the next decade.

I agree but the coaches and players feel the same way as those fans.

It's the reason it's a God send that the cowboys have a ton to play for.

I'd be surprised if this team is even competitive sunday.

• Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, djpapeleta360 said:

Probably dumb boomers like Sabah. 

• Like 1

So much depends on the new GM and coaching staff, and their assessment of the top 3 QBs and the type of offense they want to run. Also, remember we still have the combine to get through. It'll be interesting to see if any of the big 3 decline to participate. All we have to go on now is college careers from different conferences and different levels of competition.

Perhaps an equally big question: would the second choice plus a huge draft haul be better than the first choice minus all the picks that would be going to Chicago? That might depend on how close the new staff feels that Williams and Maye are (plus how well each would fit the new scheme in Washington).

7 minutes ago, djpapeleta360 said:

Listening to 106.7 or 980 will definitely screw up your opinion with regards to fan intelligence for sure.  Those callers are of lower intelligence 100%.  They're also repeat callers.  I couldn't imagine calling up to talk to a radio host on almost a daily basis.  If I had a radio show, I would see to it that it NOT be a show where fans could call in.  I'd be that radio host screaming and cursing out the many stupid callers, and saying something that could get me kicked off of the radio permanently.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, djpapeleta360 said:

Ok, pride hurt Dallas, stupid, myopic ego. Beating Dallas ONLY helps Philly, while hurting ourselves. These idiots are basically calling to help the most loathesome fanbase in all sports.

• Like 4