Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

2 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Granted we're assuming they would want Harrison, who seems almost as wanted as Williams  and not to settle for someone else.  I mean of the top four teams; the Bears, us, the Pats and the Cards the only ones who aren't expected to be interested in Williams are the Cards and the only ones not into Harrison are the Pats

Because as it plays out the way people are theorizing if the Bears drop to 3 to allow the Pats to pick Williams they are obviously not going QB.  So we could drop to 4 with the Cards and let them pick Harrison and still get Maye, at least partially screwing the Bears

And you're going to risk losing out on a franchise QB bu assuming you can be sure that Arizona won't take him, and also aren't smart enough to turn around and trade that pick for the enormous bounty a team lower down would pay for a QB?

I can't stress enough how much none of this will or could happen.

In the end this is all probably moot. The Bears are probably going QB at 1. Now do they prefer Williams or Maye? Or Daniels? If Caleb makes it clear he’s not intent in going to Chicago that could also throw a wrench in everything. But maybe the Bears prefer Maye and this is all worthless banter and we get Caleb at 2. 

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

And you're going to risk losing out on a franchise QB bu assuming you can be sure that Arizona won't take him, and also aren't smart enough to turn around and trade that pick for the enormous bounty a team lower down would pay for a QB?

I can't stress enough how much none of this will or could happen.

hasn't Kyler Murray done more for the Cards than Justin Fields has done for the Bears?  If the Bears are sticking with Fields why wouldn't they stick with Murray.  But even if they did that would still leave us with Jeyden Daniels

• Like 1

On 12/30/2023 at 10:29 AM, KillBill26 said:

I was so pumped to move into the top 3 due to the value those picks have this year and the haul we would receive in a trade down.

I used to always root to lose once we were eliminated from the playoffs to get the higher pick, but in recent years not as much, but I have been rooting for losses and a top 3 pick these past few weeks.  

Now I'm torn.  I like Howell, and I still think he can be a good NFL QB with a better supporting cast.  And I'm far from a scout, but Jayden Daniels scares me as a potential great college QB but NFL bust.  Maye has fallen off too.  Caleb has lost some shine, but I think taking him would be the right move.

So part of me would love to see Howell come back, lead us to a win or two vs SF and Dallas, and have us heading into the off-season with Howell getting another chance next season, but having a lesser pick.  I'd rather have Howell and Latham than Daniels and turnstile.  I don't see Daniels, or any young QB, succeeding here anytime soon, and by the time the new QB has a legit supporting cast, everyone will have soured on the new QB, just like everyone has done with Howell after 16 starts.

The other option that intrigues me is to root for the highest pick, hope they trade down and turn into the best haul of picks as possible, and draft the QB next year.  But Im still not convinced that cutting bait with Howell is the best path forward.

Freddie Kitchens told a friend of mine Maye is the best QB he has ever been around 

Just now, MrJL said:

hasn't Kyler Murray done more for the Cards than Justin Fields has done for the Bears?  If the Bears are sticking with Fields why wouldn't they stick with Murray.  But even if they did that would still leave us with Jeyden Daniels

I'm not convinced either of them wouldn't draft a QB, This is just a hypothetical that I think is extremely unlikely to happen anyway.

But If we are talking about that hypothetical, it's just nonsense that these teams are farting around with the franchise QB that they want int he name of "calling the bluff" of Chicago. It's just silly. 

Not to mention, in the one you just laid out, we "screwed" the Bears Ito where they have no real option but to auction off the QB we wanted and we're now down to our third choice, 

But you know, Screw you, Chicago. For some reason. 

LOL.

3 minutes ago, MrJL said:

the reason would be simply because they were trying to screw us

Yeah, how dare they expect value form their draft pick? No one has ever had the temerity to try that one.

We'll teach them! We'll turn the 2nd pick into the 3rd best QB.

Take that, Chicago! 

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Yeah, how dare they expect value form their draft pick? No one has ever had the temerity to try that one.

We'll teach them! We'll turn the 2nd pick into the 3rd best QB.

Take that, Chicago! 

giphy.gif

And they'd turn the first pick into neither the best QB nor the best WR

if we nothing the Bears would get two things they wanted and we'd get one thing and lose out.  If we act as I suggest both teams get extra draft picks in trades but not the player they want.  If we let it get out we're willing to do tha if the Bears tradet the Bears get Harrison and we get Williams but neither team gets other thing they want(extra picks)

5 minutes ago, MrJL said:

And they'd turn the first pick into neither the best QB nor the best WR

if we nothing the Bears would get two things they wanted and we'd get one thing and lose out.  If we act as I suggest both teams get extra draft picks in trades but not the player they want.  If we let it get out we're willing to do tha if the Bears tradet the Bears get Harrison and we get Williams but neither team gets other thing they want(extra picks)

Sorry, but this discussion is too ludicrous to continue with. It was a waste of time anyway, but at this point I'm losing brain cells by engaging in it.

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

The surest way to get improved QB play, IMO, is to draft MHJ if he's there at 1.2.

I disagree. The surest way to get improved QB play is to have an actual blue chip QB. 

I think Caleb is the better prospect. Been clear on that. But I will trust the new staffs evaluation. And support whoever they decide to pick. This team needs so much help that it probably makes the most sense to sit pat at 2 and take whichever one is left instead of using draft capitol to move up. But again I will support the people who get paid to make these decisions.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MrJL said:

you're mixing up the years,  2020 is the year we didn't take some QB at 2 and both of the other guys drafted soon after ended up being good. 

2021 is the year that Zach Wilson was the number 2 pick

I quoted a post where they said 2021 and i repeated it.  I believe I caught that mistake and changed it soon after but am too lazy to go back and check.  But it doesn't matter the person was making a point about that 2020 draft and the players in it, i don't care if they said 2021 by mistake its irrrelevant to that discussion.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

15 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

The surest way to get improved QB play, IMO, is to draft MHJ if he's there at 1.2.

The Lions tried this for years by using top draft picks on elite WR prospects. One of them was literally Calvin Johnson. None of it mattered until they got Stafford (and their roster building was so terrible that even then it didn’t often matter—but obviously Stafford was an elite talent the whole time). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

Harrison Jr. is great.  But a WR doesn't turn a QB into a franchise QB.  So either they believe Sam is a franchise QB or they don't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Harrison Jr. is great.  But a WR doesn't turn a QB into a franchise QB.  So either they believe Sam is a franchise QB or they don't.

Sam's not and I was all about Sam Howell.  He been beaten up mentally and physically. 

I know there are some stragglers here who believe they shoudn't take a QB.

But, if they pick #2 and don't take a QB in this draft in particular, it feels so insane that i don't know why i am even bothering to debate it.  I need to stop.😎

Earlier this season when the Giants season was clearly going to crap i was jealous as heck because I thought its the perfect season to suck.  I was at the Commanders-Giants game and there were Giant fans sitting behind me rooting for their team to lose.

Now we are in the driving seat for a change in arguably the perfect draft if you want a QB -- not every draft do you have three hyped QB prospects at the top but here we are -- yet some people want to pass over the opportunity.

Heck on twitter I noticed some Giant fans irate that we are picking ahead of them right now.  Patriot fans, too.  The Giants brass for example have been sending armies of scouts to watch Drake Maye this season.  And now its likely us, not them in the drivers seat to take him or Daniels.  

giphy.gif

• Like 8
  • Thumb up 1

23 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Nah. The Bears will be trading that pick unless they are done with Fields. They would be dumb as a brick not to. 

The 1.01. Not at all, Caleb Williams on a rookie deal, 5 years cheap cost control, vs Fields with a 1 and 1. I'd go Williams every time. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

MHJ the best football player in this draft - at the X, a position we need badly.  I'd agree with you if I was comfortable that a franchise QB would be there for us.  I'm not.  Take MHJ.  Nix may be a good lottery pick in round 2 once you've got MHJ in the fold.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Some of us were calling for a QB instead. And yes they were rated lower. But when you have that draft position you take a QB unless you already have your guy. We wont make that mistake again. 

Yep, I was all in on Tua, via trade down. 1000%, I didn't realize Herbert would be this good, but I would've been in favor of Herbert over Young as well, I was just focused on Tua because he was my 1B to Burrow (whoops) and I liked him just about as much. 

2 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Yep, I was all in on Tua, via trade down. 1000%, I didn't realize Herbert would be this good, but I would've been in favor of Herbert over Young as well, I was just focused on Tua because he was my 1B to Burrow (whoops) and I liked him just about as much. 

unless in this alternate reality we had done different things with our OL Tua would be retired if we picked him

I still think Sam has potential but no way in the world do we not stay at 2 and take a top blue chip QB.  These opportunities are soooo rare especially when there are 3 potential franchise QBs available.  Keep sam and take the best QB that falls to 2.