Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

18 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I checked the 49ers stat sheet after the game last night and Chase Young’s name wasn’t on there. 0 tackles, 0 sacks.

That’s because they don’t have a stat for how many times he runs up to someone cheering on the sideline after they make a big play. You just can’t quantify something so important 

• Like 1
  • Haha 11
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I checked the 49ers stat sheet after the game last night and Chase Young’s name wasn’t on there. 0 tackles, 0 sacks.

I was going to make a comment after reading the Tweet someone posted about how since they got Young their sacks have gone up dramatically .I watched him on every snap yesterday, he didn't do jack.  

Although the Commies will be underdogs in each of their remaining games it's pretty hard to lose every one.  I think they rise up and steal a win or maybe even 2 before the season ends.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

If Alt is a reach not worth standing pat for or trading down for, then what I hear is folks just horny for the sexy pick again.

I've try my best to respect BPA takes over Need over the years, but I cannot with a straight face say we need a whole new oline and our first pick should be a WR.

We need to win some more games to back off this Harrison, Jr pipe dream, folks getting fired anyway, but id rather folks get mad at my take on this then willing say we shouldn't prioritize protecting the only player many of us believe we should keep after nuking this roster from orbit.

If you reach for Alt in the top ten, you haven't fixed any needs.  You've wasted a top ten pick drafting the next Mike McGlinchey and you're going to spend the next five years looking for upgrades until he walks in free agency because he wasn't worth throwing good money after bad.  That is exactly what happened to San Francisco.

When you're rebuilding, which is what we're about to do, the picks that matter are the foundation type guys who are so good they define your whole team.  Those are the guys worth picking early, they're the ones you build around, and you get guys like that by drafting BPA.  It is NEVER worth it to abandon BPA.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, mh86 said:

That’s because they don’t have a stat for how many times he runs up to someone cheering on the sideline after they make a big play. You just can’t quantify something so important 

They've combined for 7 total tackles and 2.5 sacks over 5 combined games since being traded. Not exactly worth the $50M in combined annual salary they were seeking.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 3

@Going Commando are you calling Alt a bust already?

We need more then one foundational player and we shouldn't expect us to draft this high for a while if the team does commit to Howell and know what they're doing building around him.

This is why we need a beefed up scouring department and trade down if you right on him.  Eagles make rebuild look easy by constantly having picks as bullets to do damage with.  Their franchise QB wasn't a top 5 pick...they traded for AJ Brown.

More picks feels like more chances for foundational players. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

If you reach for Alt in the top ten, you haven't fixed any needs.  You've wasted a top ten pick drafting the next Mike McGlinchey and you're going to spend the next five years looking for upgrades until he walks in free agency because he wasn't worth throwing good money after bad.  That is exactly what happened to San Francisco.

When you're rebuilding, which is what we're about to do, the picks that matter are the foundation type guys who are so good they define your whole team.  Those are the guys worth picking early, they're the ones you build around, and you get guys like that by drafting BPA.  It is NEVER worth it to abandon BPA.

I am higher than you on Alt but I agree with the overall point.  You don't pass on Marvin Harrison, it would be IMO borderline ridiculous to do so -- so there is so much energy I am willing to expend on the point because I think the odds are almost zero that they'd pass him over if they have a chance to take him.

I got to watch Alt some more, I wrote up something about him this weekend.  He's smooth as a pass blocker.  As far as being a bust -- my red flag is he's really lanky, a bit stiff in his upper body and in turn not the most physical player.  I definitely like Fashanu better in part because he's physically gifted with high upside, just turned 21 only 18 starts.

But Alt strikes me as a high floor enough prospect, that i don't think he will be a bust.  But I just watched 2 games.  Like last year, I'll watch at least 6 games and watch them multiple times of the top tackle prospects so my opinion my change.

https://ndsmcobserver.com/2023/10/joe-alt-brings-it-from-all-facets-leading-offensive-line-on-and-off-the-field/

There is a skill set,” Rudolph said of Alt prior to the 2023 Blue-Gold Game. “Some guys just have amazing talent. Amazing athleticism, amazing size, and then there’s some guys that just have the quality of leadership and grit, and the way they’re going to get it done in the moment. They’re going to be great leaders and make guys around them better. You don’t always find that all in one guy. He’s as close as I’ve got to see all of that in one guy. He brings it from all facets, and it’s much appreciated.

As a whole, the offensive line has helped the Irish rank ninth in the nation in fewest tackles for loss allowed and 11th in team passing efficiency. On top of that, the group has paved the way for junior Audric Estimé to lead a formidable rushing attack. Notre Dame’s offensive line was one of 23 units named to the 2023 Joe Moore Award Midseason Honor Roll. Judged on criteria such as toughness, effort, teamwork, consistency, technique and finishing, the team was evaluated based on weekly review of game film and coach-provided cut-ups. 

Alt credits the team chemistry fostered in practice for the unit’s success.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Not trying to draw the wraith of ES, but for this poster, QB is not a position I would overlook in the least. I like Howell and do not feel as if he is a problem despite his tendency to hold the ball at times, I am not ready to crown him either. Trading down would be my priority right now*

However, if we shore up some key holes in FA and get lucky enough to draft at least one blue chip prospect ala Harrison Jr. then this line of thought would likely change and do think we'd have a good enough unit to win with Howell at the helm. 

To me Alt doesn't seem like a sure thing. I'm not a football expert, but he may be a bit slow and lanky.  I think JC Latham is the sure thing all pro this draft. Even though he is a RT, him and Cosmi can solidify the right side.  Then bring in the best FA on the left side.  We will be much better next season.  

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am higher than you on Alt but I agree with the overall point.  You don't pass on Marvin Harrison, it would be IMO borderline ridiculous to do so -- so there is so much energy I am willing to expend on the point because I think the odds are almost zero that they'd pass him over if they have a chance to take him.

I got to watch Alt some more, I wrote up something about him this weekend.  He's smooth as a pass blocker.  As far as being a bust -- my red flag is he's really lanky, a bit stiff in his upper body and in turn not the most physical player.  I definitely like Fashanu better in part because he's physically gifted with high upside, just turned 21 only 18 starts.

But Alt strikes me as a high floor enough prospect, that i don't think he will be a bust.  But I just watched 2 games.  Like last year, I'll watch at least 6 games and watch them multiple times of the top tackle prospects so my opinion my change.

https://ndsmcobserver.com/2023/10/joe-alt-brings-it-from-all-facets-leading-offensive-line-on-and-off-the-field/

There is a skill set,” Rudolph said of Alt prior to the 2023 Blue-Gold Game. “Some guys just have amazing talent. Amazing athleticism, amazing size, and then there’s some guys that just have the quality of leadership and grit, and the way they’re going to get it done in the moment. They’re going to be great leaders and make guys around them better. You don’t always find that all in one guy. He’s as close as I’ve got to see all of that in one guy. He brings it from all facets, and it’s much appreciated.

As a whole, the offensive line has helped the Irish rank ninth in the nation in fewest tackles for loss allowed and 11th in team passing efficiency. On top of that, the group has paved the way for junior Audric Estimé to lead a formidable rushing attack. Notre Dame’s offensive line was one of 23 units named to the 2023 Joe Moore Award Midseason Honor Roll. Judged on criteria such as toughness, effort, teamwork, consistency, technique and finishing, the team was evaluated based on weekly review of game film and coach-provided cut-ups. 

Alt credits the team chemistry fostered in practice for the unit’s success.

If Harrison Jr there take him but like the 2 Qb we will not be high enough to get them. I think at best picking 4th. I think we are going to have to take one of the OT.

Edited by Redskins 2021

8 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

@Going Commando are you calling Alt a bust already?

No.  I'm just saying he's not that good and certainly not worthy of a top ten pick.  He doesn't have a single special skill or attribute and his power, length, flexibility, speed, and balance are all average to below average.  He looks like a future average starter in the vein of Mike McGlinchey or Garrett Bolles.  Charles Leno would be better than him next year and probably in 2025 too, and Alt's ceiling might never top what Leno is today.

Alt is like a back end of the first, early second round talent who shouldn't even sniff the top ten in a class with as much blue chip talent as this one.

OT is also not a premium position any more.  Not in the era of the shotgun spread.  WR is a much more valuable position now, and the pay reflects that.  The top two WRs in this class are also way better and way more special players than Olu Fashanu, who is the only top ten caliber OT in the class IMO. 

And if you're arguing for picking purely on need, OT isn't even our biggest need on OL.  Our two OTs and Cosmi are all average or better, and Cosmi and Lucas as our depth is fine.  The places where we're getting killed on the OL are OC and LG, where all of our players suck.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

And if you're arguing for picking purely on need, OT isn't even our biggest need on OL.  Our two OTs and Cosmi are all average or better, and Cosmi and Lucas as our depth is fine.  The places where we're getting killed on the OL are OC and LG, where all of our players suck.

This is fair.

I don't agree with your assessment on Leno, the last Giants game I saw him getting abused so badly us not giving him TE help was slowly costing us the game. 

Then he has a false start inside the range where we have to runoff and costs us our last timeout.  It changed what was left of what was still a winnable game entirely, then next thing you know it ends on a pressure induced pick 6.

Leno cannot stay a starter on this team, let alone at LT, I'm done after that.  If you want to make the case our interior is worse, you don't have to sell me on that.

This is one of the reasons I want to trade down, this conversation feels warped by where we might land in the draft order, not where picking an offensive linemen first wouldn't be a reach.

The importance of WR in today's league cannot be overstated, I agree with you and @Warhead36 on that.  I'm saying we just had the audacity to have four 1st round picks on the dline but not a single one on the oline and got surprised by the results.  That was stupid from get-go in an offense driven league, now we have the receipts to officially prove it.

I'm open to compromise with respect to the strengths and weaknesses of each draft.  I'm just not buying there won't be another WR in 2025 or any draft after that we can't draft or trade for to address the concerns that we don't have an elite one right now. In the context of Howell repeatedly getting hit before he finishes 3 step drops, Elite WR feels like something we need to save up for versus coming after right now first in another rebuild.

Sadly, we are talking about another rebuild, so while I'm hearing we need an elite WR to compete with other team's that will likely have one, I'm saying we have position groups so in dire need of investment of resources that they are keeping us from being competitive even if we had an Elite WR.  It just feels ass backward coming after Elite WR first anyway.

FFS our 23 yo QB is leading the league in passing and we're getting destroyed left and right anyway, my head cannot process saying we need an elite WR immediately over other position groups because of it. 

The first pick doesn't have to be tackle, I'm open to guard or center first instead.  But again we just gave Terry an LTS and used a first in Dotson.  This feels like madness coming after the need for an elite WR right now, that **** needs to wait, imo.  It can wait, imo.

We should be saying by this time next year we have at least two really good ones but not an elite one yet.  If we can't at least say that, with a new coach and scheme, we should be talking about trading Terry and ill stand down on what we gotta do at WR.  But not right now.  I can not process not prioritizing protecting Howell best we can in the name of giving him more weapons.

It is an absolutely miracle he hasn't missed a game yet from all the hits he's taken and should not be taken for granted.  The party ends and music stops no matter what our WR core looks like if he misses playing time or goes on sesson-ending IR.

• Thumb up 1

Agree with the discussion points re OT, said myself in the draft thread that I’m struggling to see OT as being the smart move with a top 10 pick. Doesn’t seem to be the best value pick at the moment for me. 

For a team lacking this much talent I hope we pick blue chip talent and don’t get hung up on positions of need.  Clearly we do need to address our OL issues during the draft, but reaching with the 7th pick for example can’t happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The thing is, WR IS a need. Have you seen our WRs this year? They dont get open and theyre 2nd in the league in drops. Samuel is a FA after the year and Brown is garbage. I still like Mclaurin but he’s clearly not a dominant starter and Dotson is best as a #3 slot guy. The best offenses all have high end #1s that can take over games. We havent had that since, what, Desean Jackson? 

with that said its all a moot point because Harrison jr will be top 3 at least and I dont see us picking higher than 4

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

The thing is, WR IS a need. Have you seen our WRs this year? They dont get open and theyre 2nd in the league in drops. Samuel is a FA after the year and Brown is garbage. I still like Mclaurin but he’s clearly not a dominant starter and Dotson is best as a #3 slot guy. The best offenses all have high end #1s that can take over games. We havent had that since, what, Desean Jackson? 

with that said its all a moot point because Harrison jr will be top 3 at least and I dont see us picking higher than 4

I don't think DJax even took over games.  He'd only have 3-4 catches a game, they'd just be explosive plays.  He was never a high volume kinda guy.  Moss might be the closest we had.  But frankly, that's a stretch.  We've had some nice receivers, but I don't think we've ever had that unstoppable guy that would dominate DBs on a weekly basis.  We also haven't had the QB to take advantage of such a guy if we did have him. 

17 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I don't think DJax even took over games.  He'd only have 3-4 catches a game, they'd just be explosive plays.  He was never a high volume kinda guy.  Moss might be the closest we had.  But frankly, that's a stretch.  We've had some nice receivers, but I don't think we've ever had that unstoppable guy that would dominate DBs on a weekly basis.  We also haven't had the QB to take advantage of such a guy if we did have him. 

If that is your argument for DeSean, then Moss was the same thing. Every once in a while he could change a game with a couple of catches, famously the Comeback versus the Cowboys.

Getting a big physical WR has never been so important with how the league has transitioned. 

Likely 'settling' for Bowers after Harrison goes 3 or 4OA. 

24 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Would Malik Nabers be in consideration at our pick given everyone thinks Harrison should be gone?

I like Coleman more to be honest. Big physical freak.

Nabers is another small-ish guy. Good player though but not with a top 10 pick.

47 minutes ago, justice98 said:

3-4 catches a game that include huge 50+ yard TDs is definitely taking over a game. Look at how many games we've lost due to the sheer volume of explosive plays given up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

3-4 catches a game that include huge 50+ yard TDs is definitely taking over a game. Look at how many games we've lost due to the sheer volume of explosive plays given up.

That's fair. I haven't seen either of them play much. My hope is an OL grades out as worthy of the pick but a big possession receiver to pair with Sam is enticing. I would think Bowers would be the pick (if available) in that scenario, though.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Nabers isn't small.  He's the exact same build as JaMarr Chase.  Coleman is big, but not very productive, and definitely not as good as Nabers.  Most of the best receivers in the NFL for the past ten years have been built more like Nabers than Coleman.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

it's not.  Especially you've got to figure Howell's been sacked 55 times and at least some of his runs were scrambles from pressure.  You've got to figure we've left at least 70 passes of the field where the WRs could have looked better

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

For me?  Yes.  I'd have him behind Bowers though.

Yeah, it seems like Bowers is rated higher than every skill position player, except for Marvin Harrison Jr., according to most. I can't wait to see what we do. I have some confidence that we'll make the right choice more consistently with the new regime, but it feels critical that we get it right this year, specifically.