Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC News: Hollywood actors are going on strike after contract negotiations fail

Cooked Crack

**** like this always blows my mind. It reminds me of all of these idiots who say athletes make too much money...if the athletes don't get it (you know, the ones actually performing and being athletic), where do you think it goes? Back to the owners, do you think they deserve it more than the people ACTUALLY performing and entertaining you? People are so stupid. I watch YouTube, I hope the unions hit them in the pockets hard.

• Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Destino said:

Im not even sure you can say many of them are making enough to be “living” without another source of income. Maybe this time they’ll get the lions share of benefits from a new agreement. 

it just never seems to work out that way.  

Do you have some specific examples of this?

Edit: of the situation you mentioned before that is, where union leadership benefits but not the rank and file. 

Edited by dfitzo53

5 hours ago, Simmsy said:

**** like this always blows my mind. It reminds me of all of these idiots who say athletes make too much money...if the athletes don't get it (you know, the ones actually performing and being athletic), where do you think it goes? Back to the owners, do you think they deserve it more than the people ACTUALLY performing and entertaining you? People are so stupid. I watch YouTube, I hope the unions hit them in the pockets hard.

Exactly.

I have no issue with guys like Tom Cruise making 50 Mil or whatever. I'd rather he get it then the aholes who run Paramount, Universal, etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Simmsy said:

I could argue they all pro sports in general makes entirely too much money, but to say players make too much is absurd. They make a percentage, usually around half for American pro sports. How can getting half of the income you generate ever be argued too much?  Nonsense.

that said, QBs are over paid. lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Destino said:

I one could argue they all pro sports in general makes entirely too much money, but to say players make too much is absurd. They make a percentage, usually around half for American pro sports. How can getting half of the income you generate ever be argued too much?  Nonsense.

that said, QBs are over paid. lol

I agree that every player or actor should do whatever he or she can to make as much as possible. They have such a limited amount of time (players, at least) to make their millions. That said, I don't blame the people who put up all the money (owners/studios/whatever) for defending their investment either. That's how these things are supposed to work. The market generally dictates who makes the money. 

If every NFL player decided to walk away from the league tomorrow and the owners were left with just the shells of their teams, there would be a few rocky years but eventually fans would continue supporting the teams/logos they are used to. In many ways, the NFL more than most leagues, has always been the most faceless of all professional sports. 

Hollywood will have it a little tougher...it's much more difficult to make a great blockbuster movie without a star that people love. I'm sure it's possible, but you usually need a headliner. 

Also Bob Iger:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/13/disney-cuts-back-on-marvel-star-wars-content.html

My take - Disney over-saturated the market with rapidly-declining quality and tried to go even cheaper with the A.I. nonsense. Coupled with the huge ESPN layoffs and now putting out feelers to possibly sell ABC...

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/272479/Disney-Considering-Sale-Of-ABC-Other-TV-Networks-Except-For-ESPN

2 hours ago, Metalhead said:

Also Bob Iger:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/13/disney-cuts-back-on-marvel-star-wars-content.html

My take - Disney over-saturated the market with rapidly-declining quality and tried to go even cheaper with the A.I. nonsense. Coupled with the huge ESPN layoffs and now putting out feelers to possibly sell ABC...

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/272479/Disney-Considering-Sale-Of-ABC-Other-TV-Networks-Except-For-ESPN

I remember having to watch three other Marvel movies before I could watch Infinity War because all of the Marvel movies are connected. After End Game, I stopped with the Marvel stuff. They've also made me hate Star Wars, they washed it out in less than a decade, absolutely amazing. Best they can do now is do little Star Wars/Marvel baby shows to try and hook young children.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I remember having to watch three other Marvel movies before I could watch Infinity War because all of the Marvel movies are connected. After End Game, I stopped with the Marvel stuff. They've also made me hate Star Wars, they washed it out in less than a decade, absolutely amazing. Best they can do now is do little Star Wars/Marvel baby shows to try and hook young children.

I agree 100%. I would note that when Disney backs off the treadmill and hands it over to a true creative such as Tony Gilroy, who has a story to tell and actually plans properly (Rogue One, Andor), good things can happen. But it requires patience and investment in writers, actors, and producers, which Disney has shown they cannot do.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

• 1 month later...