Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC News: Hollywood actors are going on strike after contract negotiations fail

Cooked Crack

Thousands of Hollywood actors are heading to the picket lines after their labor union and a trade group representing the industry's leading studios failed to reach a deal on a new contract, grinding film and television production to a halt. 

The national board of the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists, or SAG-AFTRA, voted unanimously Thursday morning to go on strike, the guild announced at an afternoon news conference. 

The picket lines will start to form Friday, marking the first time film and television performers have staged a work stoppage since 1980, when former SAG president Ronald Reagan was campaigning for the White House and the top-rated series on U.S. television was "Dallas." 

"What's happening to us is happening across all fields of labor, when employers make Wall Street and greed their priority and they forget about the essential contributors that make the machine run," said SAG-AFTRA President Fran Drescher, who is best known for her starring role on the sitcom "The Nanny."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/hollywood-actors-sag-strike-action-contract-negotiations-fail-aftra-rcna92038

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

The WGA has been screwed worse than any other group. Imagine watching a show on TV that you created and having to have a second job? Ridiculous.

The actors have legitimate beef as well. I’m glad they are striking at the same time.

The CEO wage gap is just as prevalent in Hollywood as it is everywhere else. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1

It's not like there's a dearth of media that we can't watch while writers actors strike for their financial well-being. Labor organizations are indeed watching the strike. We need more people in unions to break down corporations labor abuse of the people who work for them. Labor and creative endeavors deserve well paid remuneration and benefits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

26 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I support everyone’s right to advocate for their own financial wellbeing. 

I’m in total support of people that have little or nothing getting more. Nothing in this world works without them and it feels like we (collective) are constantly coming up with reasons why it’s right for them to suffer. 

I’m entirely uninterested in rich people getting a little more or less rich. Seems like everytime there’s a strike like this we celebrate labor’s stunning victory, but the as time passes the rich members of the union get richer and the low paid members barely improve at all. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

The Studio's proposal was to give the actors a coupon for a happy meal in exchange for using their likeness for the next 1,000 years...

It’s been a long time since anyone was sacrificed to Huitzilopochtli. Just saying. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Destino said:

I’m in total support of people that have little or nothing getting more. Nothing in this world works without them and it feels like we (collective) are constantly coming up with reasons why it’s right for them to suffer. 

I’m entirely uninterested in rich people getting a little more or less rich. Seems like everytime there’s a strike like this we celebrate labor’s stunning victory, but the as time passes the rich members of the union get richer and the low paid members barely improve at all. 

Bruh. 97% of this union are people working paycheck to paycheck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Bruh. 97% of this union are people working paycheck to paycheck. 

Im not even sure you can say many of them are making enough to be “living” without another source of income. Maybe this time they’ll get the lions share of benefits from a new agreement. 

it just never seems to work out that way.  

9 minutes ago, Destino said:

Im not even sure you can say many of them are making enough to be “living” without another source of income. Maybe this time they’ll get the lions share of benefits from a new agreement. 

it just never seems to work out that way.  

Fair enough, but it’s not like Tom Cruise is on strike. 

image.gif.b16ac1777ea0528da23588b3f1976d4f.gif

Edited by PleaseBlitz

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

IMAGINE NEGOTIATIONS 

She has a weird voice is all im sayin. 

I imagine that works in her favor as people will capitulate just to get out of being in the same room with her talking.

• Haha 1