Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC News: Hollywood actors are going on strike after contract negotiations fail

Cooked Crack

On 7/14/2023 at 6:42 AM, Simmsy said:

**** like this always blows my mind. It reminds me of all of these idiots who say athletes make too much money...if the athletes don't get it (you know, the ones actually performing and being athletic), where do you think it goes? Back to the owners, do you think they deserve it more than the people ACTUALLY performing and entertaining you? People are so stupid. I watch YouTube, I hope the unions hit them in the pockets hard.

That assumes monetization is constant, though.  What if we didn't stuff advertising everywhere possible plus some places impossible and didn't over-charge for licensed merchandise?  Want to watch your team from anywhere?  How about free-streaming of games? (it could still be ad-supported much like watching games for free over antenna)

There are a lot of ways that could greatly improve the fan experience that could be done if not maximizing the profits (and thus athlete salaries via revenue-sharing).

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Union leaders and Hollywood studios reached a tentative agreement Sunday to end a historic screenwriters strike after nearly five months, though no deal is yet in the works for striking actors. 

The Writers Guild of America announced the deal in a statement. 

The three-year contract agreement — settled on after five marathon days of renewed talks by negotiators for the Writers Guild of America and an alliance of studios, streaming services and production companies — must be approved by the guild’s board and members before the strike officially ends. 

The terms of the deal were not immediately announced. The tentative deal to end the last writers strike, in 2008, was approved by more than 90% of members.

https://apnews.com/article/writers-strike-deal-hollywood-wga-3336824c06795931845c889f1e08b3ff

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

30 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Sadly you are probably not far off. Original ideas and Hollywood are a very rare beast

I don’t think that’s fair. Studios are in the business of making money… not telling original stories.

The audience tells the studios what they want by their purchasing power.

I’m sure a lot of good stories/scripts sit on desks… or just need an opportunity.

• Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

I don’t think that’s fair. Studios are in the business of making money… not telling original stories.

I’m sure a lot of good stories/scripts sit on desks… or just need an opportunity.

Not disagreeing with you per se. Doesnt change the fact that originality has become a rare beast.

46 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

31 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Not disagreeing with you per se. Doesnt change the fact that originality has become a rare beast.

Honestly you are both probably right.  I think you can separate things into two ideas of originality: "Intellectual property (IP) originality" and "Story Originality". 

For the first type of originality, we may be screwed.  The studios, for the most part, are heading to the financial safety of established IP's (whether that be already in film, from books, or hell even children's toys as we just saw with Barbie).  Since they are investing huge sums in the hopes of a blockbuster payout, they ameliorate the risk by tapping already established fan bases.  Until that changes, if it ever does, I don't think studios have the financial freedom to really explore a lot of completely new IP's.  So we are doomed, I'm afraid, to frequently be re-immersed in worlds we have already encountered and good completely original scripts will go unnoticed.

Having said that, it is possible to tell a creative and compelling story within the constraints of an already established IP (e.g. Joker).  And sadly, the stories we've been seeing, from current Marvel, Star Wars, DC, etc.. etc... offerings are pretty **** across the board.

So yea, the studios are constraining the writers in their ability to explore completely new IP's.  Having said that, the writers are doing a pretty **** job at creating compelling stories within that constraint.

• Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

What would be an example of an original story, movie or TV?

I consider stuff based on a book/novel, so long as it hadn’t previously been adapted to the screen, to be original. 

to me the point is not a reboot or a continuation of a movie series where the characters change but the fundamental theme is still the same…

2 hours ago, Xameil said:

In the movie theatres… I’d probably agree. 🙂

On TV, I amazed by the stories being told on the little screen. There’s some great TV out there right now. Almost too much.

Everything, Everywhere, All At Once.

The problem is that execs come in and hamper any and all creativity so they can pigeon hold every product so at it's core...its all the same. I get that the studio needs to make money, but they are the ones stiffling the movie/tv industry. They never let anything unique come out and when something does slip thru the cracks, they copy and sequel it to death. Disney comes to mind, when was the last time Disney did anything original? They have endless characters/stories and lore to pull from Marvel and Star Wars, yet look at the trash we get. Everyone is already over Disney and Marvel/Star Wars, they ran it into the ground in less than ten years. I don't care if I ever see another superhero movie or Star Wars anything.

3 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Im not a writer....probably not the best to ask. 

But by definition, an original story would be one that is not a remake, or a story that has been told thousands of times.

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

In the movie theatres… I’d probably agree. 🙂

On TV, I amazed by the stories being told on the little screen. There’s some great TV out there right now. Almost too much.

There are a few good tv shows i like, but even still some of them are remakes of TV shows from other countries.

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

The problem is that execs come in and hamper any and all creativity so they can pigeon hold every product so at it's core...its all the same. I get that the studio needs to make money, but they are the ones stiffling the movie/tv industry. They never let anything unique come out and when something does slip thru the cracks, they copy and sequel it to death. Disney comes to mind, when was the last time Disney did anything original? They have endless characters/stories and lore to pull from Marvel and Star Wars, yet look at the trash we get. Everyone is already over Disney and Marvel/Star Wars, they ran it into the ground in less than ten years. I don't care if I ever see another superhero movie or Star Wars anything.

Ironically, EEAAO writers had to ditch a lot of their early stuff for the movie because Rick and Morty beat them to it. And in reality, this movie was about accepting and being ok with who you are and that all moments have meaning in life, right? Not really a unique or nouveau concept. 

I guess I have no problem with Hollywood churning out the Batman reboots or the Fast Xs of the world as long as smaller independent movies/shows are also being made. But I suspect their is truly little that can be done that is original. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

Ironically, EEAAO writers had to ditch a lot of their early stuff for the movie because Rick and Morty beat them to it. And in reality, this movie was about accepting and being ok with who you are and that all moments have meaning in life, right? Not really a unique or nouveau concept. 

I guess I have no problem with Hollywood churning out the Batman reboots or the Fast Xs of the world as long as smaller independent movies/shows are also being made. But I suspect their is truly little that can be done that is original. 

I think you're focusing too much on what the story is itself instead of how the story is being presented. Technically, yes. I'm sure just about every story has been told, but there are a thousand ways to tell a story. Also, even if the idea isn't completely original, doesn't mean it has to be bad. Too many companies just copy and paste everything and expect that to be well enough. Even the most conventional or even the oldest tales still need to be interpreted in a professional way to be worthy of watching. Good writing and developed characters can make any story unique and interesting.

• Like 1

I am looking fwd to seeing the adaptation of Caste. It is phenomenal non fiction book, but I have trouble seeing it as a narrative. Still, initial reactions say the movie is very compelling. Having read the book, if it touches on half of it, I understand why people were moved to tears by it.

On other hand, there are only so many fictional plot lines. How many versions of downfall, perseverance, hardship and ultimate success can be written? There are only so many plot arcs. We simply change scenes and characters.

Edited by gbear

3 hours ago, Simmsy said:

I'm normally with you and hate remakes/re-releases, but the wife and I binged Bel Air during the weekend rainstorm and its actually really really good. I think there is potential for more remakes like that, where you take a popular older show and release it in a different genre in a modern time. 

• Like 1

Is it not ironic to complain about originality using "Star Wars" and "Fast and Furious"?  They built movie franchises from scratch. But I do suppose the recent Star Wars movies were trash... 

"Who needs another war movie" - guess we don't need 1917, and Dunkirk were fantastic... 

Okay Comicbookguy... 

This strike is all about the AI freakout.  But any lone producer that can put together a good movie on the cheap (I am sure there may be some good examples, but I am looking at "Clerks" and Kevin Smith) could already do so.  It just means Kevin Smith can tell his story for $200 instead of $20000. 

But the next Kevin Smith is still going to take the studios up when they ask him to do Mallrats.

• Haha 1

You all are getting a little silly with the strictness of “original”

the next step is to say that concept of a story has been done so you can’t do a story …

I see a difference between a successful franchise, and rehashing the same old thing 

Just now, tshile said:

You all are getting a little silly with the strictness of “original”

the next step is to say that concept of a story has been done so you can’t do a story …

I see a difference between a successful franchise, and rehashing the same old thing 

Yup. 

See:  soap operas.  :ols:

• Haha 1