Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Season Prediction Thread - So How Many Games Will We Win?

zCommander

Predict The Season  

86 members have voted

1. 1. What Will Be Our Season Record?

7 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Ron teams tends to start the year poorly and get better by mid October/November.

This team won't have that luxury. 

If things aren't looking OK by the end of September and the team is 1-3, subject will be when Ron will get canned, not if.

At this point, I'm not seeing anything that could turn the tide on this team.

Going into the sason with a QB with only a game under his belt and an oline with no chemistry? We may very well witness Patrick Ramsey 2.0... Making almost every winnable games a flip coin.

Add to this that the end schedule is doing us not many favors, that could be deadly for the team if players have quit by then...

We're betting on too many things to go the right way to be hopeful for this team. At least one or more will go wrong and will probably then take the team with it.

This right here is the best response imho and the 1 that seems to be the most accurate 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

44 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

This right here is the best response imho and the 1 that seems to be the most accurate 

I would make sacrifices to the football gods to make Wildbunny’s bottoming out prediction come true this season. A new FO and coaching staff walking into the Caleb Williams pick post-Snyder would be a storybook beginning. Wouldn’t hurt me at all to watch that season take place. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Ron teams tends to start the year poorly and get better by mid October/November.

This team won't have that luxury. 

If things aren't looking OK by the end of September and the team is 1-3, subject will be when Ron will get canned, not if.

At this point, I'm not seeing anything that could turn the tide on this team.

Going into the sason with a QB with only a game under his belt and an oline with no chemistry? We may very well witness Patrick Ramsey 2.0... Making almost every winnable games a flip coin.

Add to this that the end schedule is doing us not many favors, that could be deadly for the team if players have quit by then...

We're betting on too many things to go the right way to be hopeful for this team. At least one or more will go wrong and will probably then take the team with it.

I’ve already predicted 8-9 with Ron getting fired with a 1-4 record but Eric finishes 7-5. Something tells me if Ron is going during the season, we actually rebound some.

I did note, if Ron coaches all season; he won’t finish worse than 6-11, 6 wins.

Now, you are saying Ron gets fired but teams does no better and  finishes with less than 6 wins; under the interim.

I have no idea how so many people look at that schedule and decide that they'll win 10 or 11 games.

Pass me some of that good **** you all are smoking!

The most I can see is 8 but I predict 7-10.

About 70% of this board picked 8 or more wins though.

• Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

I have no idea how so many people look at that schedule and decide that they'll win 10 or 11 games.

Pass me some of that good **** you all are smoking!

The most I can see is 8 but I predict 7-10.

About 70% of this board picked 8 or more wins though.

Yes, that’s the other part of why I think this team will struggle to get to 8-9 wins.  The schedule is TOUGH, and we’re playing a lot of teams with beastly D-Lines, which is not good for a team with such a mediocre to bad O-Line.  The O-Line is going to mess up any chance of a successful season.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, samy316 said:

Yes, that’s the other part of why I think this team will struggle to get to 8-9 wins.  The schedule is TOUGH, and we’re playing a lot of teams with beastly D-Lines, which is not good for a team with such a mediocre to bad O-Line.  The O-Line is going to mess up any chance of a successful season.

There is only 4 teams with really good defenses. Jets, San Fran, Cowboys and Eagles and maybe the Pats. So this is why to me you could really win at least 10 games with better QB play this year and the WRs and strong run game and our own top 5 defense to boot. As for our OL, yeah it is marginally better than last year but we do have an OC who is better than Turner and should be able to get most out of nothing. Howell getting the ball out quick will also improve the OL play a bit as well and he has legs and knows how to use it. :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, zCommander said:

There is only 4 teams with really good defenses. Jets, San Fran, Cowboys and Eagles and maybe the Pats. So this is why to me you could really win at least 10 games with better QB play this year and the WRs and strong run game and our own top 5 defense to boot. As for our OL, yeah it is marginally better than last year but we do have an OC who is better than Turner and should be able to get most out of nothing. Howell getting the ball out quick will also improve the OL play a bit as well and he has legs and knows how to use it. :)

Just looking at our first 5 games, we play at least three teams with beastly defenses (Broncos, Bills & Eagles).  The Bills are getting Von Miller back, which helps A LOT, since they were a top tier defense before he got hurt.  You also forgot about Miami’s defense, which is an also a top tier defense that we play later in the season.  I see at least 6 potential games, where we’re going to be overmatched and overwhelmed on the O-Line.  I’m hesitant to predict anything better than 8-9 wins, until I see how this team gels in the preseason.  You can actually tell how this team is going to perform early on in the season by how they look in the preseason.  If they don’t look like they’re gelling on the offensive end, I’m fearful of another slow start.

Edited by samy316
  • Thumb up 1

14 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Now, you are saying Ron gets fired but teams does no better and  finishes with less than 6 wins; under the interim.

Interim coaches can only do with the players they do have at hand.

And it's kinda a fact that interim coaches usually don't do much better than the coach they are replacing. The morale boost effect from the new coach last one game or two, then it's back to same old, as you don't change the whole system during season, you tweek it here and there, change the way plays are called maybe.

But at the end of the day, you still have a crappy Oline and a Rookie QB to play with.

I may be tough with my 4-13 prediction, but honestly, I'm having little hope for this season. Almost everybody will be in wait and see mode from the new owner, which won't help either.

Maybe they can reach 6. But honestly if they go 8-9, Ron should be awarded the Coach of the Year trophy with this team and those circumstances.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Just looking at our first 5 games, we play at least three teams with beastly defenses (Broncos, Bills & Eagles).  The Bills are getting Von Miller back, which helps A LOT, since they were a top tier defense before he got hurt.  You also forgot about Miami’s defense, which is an also a top tier defense that we play later in the season.  I see at least 6 potential games, where we’re going to be overmatched and overwhelmed on the O-Line.  I’m hesitant to predict anything better than 8-9 wins, until I see how this team gels in the preseason.  You can actually tell how this team is going to perform early on in the season by how they look in the preseason.  If they don’t look like they’re gelling on the offensive end, I’m fearful of another slow start.

Why fear?  A slow start would be the norm but the only difference this year, that slow start ends Ron.

If the Sam’s Club is right and Sam has a good year, then that would be a bonus and we wouldn’t have to spend assets next year to get a qb. If they bare wrong, then so be it. This year is just a transitional year between owners.

On 7/17/2023 at 9:59 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

I am positive on Howell.  But I do think when you create turnovers-short fields.   And you run for 150 plus yards, holding the ball with almost  a 2:1 ratio over your opponet, that helps the cause.

So what I'm saying is that there will be the numbers and the beyond the numbers. What your quoted is the stuff from the game itself and it's cool stuff, but I'm convinced that even that stuff, well not the short fields but the rush lanes could be argued were because of the lanes opened up because of Sam. I'm not saying he's Marino, but he played a good game that helped us a lot, especially with the deep ball and with evading the rush. And that makes our ol and running backs look better. I see that happening more all year. 

My biggest fear is that he has a Rex Grossman/ Daniel Jones streak of I can do it all and it leads to throwing interceptions when he shouldn't. Otherwise I have little doubts. 

My one question is how many players do they have x round grades on in a draft. Is it a max of 33 or 40 or 50? What's the max? Is there a max? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Washington Commanders 2023 NFL Preview: It could take a while to dig out from Daniel Snyder mess

Best-case scenario

Washington was 8-8-1 last season and that was with a lot of things going wrong. They won at the Philadelphia Eagles, ending their undefeated streak. The defense might be some turnovers away from becoming a top-five unit. And what if the Commenders' faith in Sam Howell is justified, and he's an asset at quarterback? With new coordinator Eric Bieniemy bringing fresh ideas to the offense and talent around the QB position, maybe there's a big improvement coming. It's still hard to envision the Commanders finishing ahead of the Eagles or Dallas Cowboys, but being in wild-card contention in a weak NFC might happen.

Edited by FrFan

Cards

Broncos

Bills 

Eagles

Bears

Falcons

Giants

Eagles

Patriots

Seahawks

Giants

Cowboys

Dolphins

Bye

Rams

Jets

49ers

Cowboys

Damn, that's brutal. Cards, Bears, Falcons, Seahwaks are the only should wins. Cards are the only one that I'm confident in winning. Maybe the Patriots and Giants. Broncos could be a win too.

I could see us 4-2 going into the second Eagles game. I could also see us at 1-5. The D lines we face from week one to week four is a seriously steep climb.

• Thumb up 1

I'd maybe agree they'd be a game or 2 better with a similar schedule but this one is likely a much tougher schedule. Watch the defense revert to giving up a lot of 3rd and longs due to facing a bunch of great QBs this year. Not quite as many as in 21 but there are more than last year and the ones in the division are mostly better and have better weapons than they did in 21 as well. 

Edited by SkinsFTW

The schedule game is just impossible to play. I'm not sure it is really tougher than last year, to be honest. I certainly don't think it's brutal.  One other thing, I think Sharp said this year, unlike last year, we're not playing a ton of games where we have less rest than the opponents.  I'm not going to look that up (somebody else can), but I seem to recall we only play 1 team coming off their bye week, there's something about not having a lot of travel miles... I don't remember all of it, but the "hidden stuff" which makes a schedule hard, I don't think we had that this year.  We did last year.  

Last year it was the

NFC North (Packers, Bears, Vikings and Lions)  

AFC South (Indy, Tenn, Houston and Jax)

Additional 3 of Falcons, 49ers and Browns

+ Division

I think the Vikings, Tenn, SF and all 3 division teams made the playoffs.  That's 9 games against playoff teams.  

Also, at the beginning of the season, probably the hardest game on the schedule (outside of the division) looked like the Packers.  That didn't come true.  Lions turned out to be much better than expected.  49ers looked tough, and they were even though they were down to their 3rd string QB.  What nobody predicted is the Giants would be good enough to make the playoffs.  Granted, that's partially due to the fact our idiot XFL backup level QB essentially coughed up both games.  Yeah, I get the late game heroics to get into OT, but that was after he sucked for 50 minutes.  

This year it's the

NFC West (Cardinals, Rams, 49ers and Seahawks)

AFC East (Patriots, Bills, Miami and Jets)

Additional 3 of Bears, Falcons, Broncos

The only elite team we have on the schedule is the Bills.  There are 2 huge question mark teams: the Jets and the Broncos.  The Seahawks are a candidate to take a step back.  

The challenge is actually the division, with all 3 of the other teams making the playoffs last year, that's really what bumps the strength of schedule up.

I think the odds would favor at the end of the year we're going to end up playing either the same number or less games against playoff teams as we did last year.  Mostly because its' extremely unlikely all three divisional teams make the playoffs.   

Also,

Philly gets the Vikings, Tampa and Chiefs

Dallas gets Lions, Panthers, Chargers

Giants get Packers, Saints, Raiders

The Eagles have the hardest draw getting the Vikings and Chiefs. 

The Giants actually might get 2 rebound teams from last year: the Saints with Carr and the Raiders with Jimmy G. both might be much better teams this year than last year.  

I still think "we're a little better, we get 1.5 more wins" is better than trying to play who's going to be good and who isn't with the NFL schedule.  But that's me.  

I'm sticking with the ludicrously optimistic (sarcasm) 10-7.

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 1

The past thirty year history (give or take a few years) of this team is that whenever anything is expected of either the team as a whole or a certain side of the ball, they nearly always come up short and disappoint.   

I really don't know what will happen this year, (I'm thinking no more than 8 wins) but it would not surprise me in the least to see the offense end up carrying the defense in an oh-so Redskins switch. I'm not a huge believer in JDR being an upper echelon DQ.  He's no scrub but he doesn't impress me all that much.  For the talent and high draft picks in his unit, they better truly dominate this year.   The fact is though, that it is damn tough to carry a great defense from year to year.  And the simple truth of the matter is that this defense gets WAY too much kudos for not having ever showed it can be a consistent top defense against good or better competition.  IMO, their reputation has been earned against the mediocre offenses of the NFL, not the really good ones.  

Ron's first year we did well on defense against the lesser teams. They got hyped in the following offseason as this "Force" that was ready to dominate the NFL offenses.  Then the next year, when they faced really good QBs and offenses, they came up woefully short.  It was easy to predict going into last year (because of the easy schedule and mediocre QBs and offenses that they would predominantly face) that they would once again earn a reputation for being an elite defense in the league.  Sure enough, that happened.  

There is talent on this defense.  The secondary looks like it should be solid or better for sure.  The LBs are marginal at best.  One of the worst units in the league.  Jamin Davis still looks like a project.  He has to look like the first rounder his is this year.  Three years in the same system is long enough to fulfill his promise.  Barton is just Holcomb 2.0.  A solid guy who can run.  Nothing more.  Not an impact player in the least.

The D line, IMO is one of the most overhyped units in all of football.  We have great DTs, no doubt.  I love those guys, and their reputation is well earned.  Our DEs are a different matter, however.  Sweat has the potential to be a great player but he's not yet.  It's past time he elevates above "potential".  He's good, and I'm happy he's on our team...but is not a consistent guy that you have to gameplan for.  It's easy to forget he's on the team a lot of games.  Being "close" for three years is long enough.  He has to become a terror this year or settle for a good but not great contract.  

You cannot give Sweat a giant contract if his play doesn't warrant it.  If he doesn't take his game up a notch or two this year and become a DE that scares opposing offenses who feel they have to really gameplan for him, then our FO should simply make him a good, quality offer to match his good, quality play.  If he demands more, then let him walk.   Go find someone who can get home and cause backfield terror consistently .  Stop settling for "good".  It's time to settle for nothing less than "GREAT".  That's what championship teams do.  I believe this is what Harris will do and will demand from every facet of the organization.  Chase has been talked about forever.  Everyone knows what's at stake.  He has to become a terror this offseason.  If not, then it's so-long to Chase.  

Time for this defense THIS YEAR against a lot of great offenses and QBs to really prove its reputation is earned.  I am NOT saying they can't do it, and I truly hope they do.  There's enough talent there, I think.  But they gotta prove it this year consistently

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Final 23 Prediction

My final prediction is the same as initial prediction: 8-9.

I still predict Ron will be fired in season. If my initial prediction of a 1-4 comes true, Ron will be fired after Bears game. Otherwise, Ron will be fired after Dolphins game- an ending just like Carolina with 4 games to go.

Who will be interim coach? Whichever until didn’t lead to Ron’s firing. If offense is responsible, then Jack will be interim coach. If the defense is responsible, then Eric will be  interim coach.

Sam will have an up and down year and maybe even be briefly benched but he Will perform well enough, to go into 24 as the starter.  So, no trading up for a qb. The new coach will want to have his own qb to compete for the job. So, I expect a qb will be drafted somewhere between rounds 2 to 5.  If Sam beats out the rookie, he will be set if he has a good 24.

5 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Final 23 Prediction

My final prediction is the same as initial prediction: 8-9.

I still predict Ron will be fired in season. If my initial prediction of a 1-4 comes true, Ron will be fired after Bears game. Otherwise, Ron will be fired after Dolphins game- an ending just like Carolina with 4 games to go.

Who will be interim coach? Whichever until didn’t lead to Ron’s firing. If offense is responsible, then Jack will be interim coach. If the defense is responsible, then Eric will be  interim coach.

Sam will have an up and down year and maybe even be briefly benched but he Will perform well enough, to go into 24 as the starter.  So, no trading up for a qb. The new coach will want to have his own qb to compete for the job. So, I expect a qb will be drafted somewhere between rounds 2 to 5.  If Sam beats out the rookie, he will be set if he has a good 24.

Well, with your prediction track record, which is nothing you ever predicted has ever come true, I think I would go to Vegas and bet on every outcome other than this.  :P

I don't think Ron gets fired after a 1-4 start. I just keep thinking that Josh is going to be the anti-Snyder.  Snyder fired a coach in-season early in his ownership.  I just don't see that from Harris, I think he's much more pragmatic.  He might fire Ron in-season, but not to save the season. And I actually don't think he will fire Ron in-season even if the season is going badly. That's just going to help with the asset gathering, and what would it really gain?

Only to get a head start on coaching/GM conversations which he can't have with Ron filling both positions at the moment.  

You are, however, dead wrong on Howell though.  He starts his push for a run of 12 straight NFL MVPs on September 10th.  He's going to set the league CAREER yardage and TD records in this season alone.  :P (I actually think he will have an above average to good season.  10-15 QB range.  

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If we can score more points than most of the other teams we play, we should win a lot of games.

Thank you John Madden.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1