Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Season Prediction Thread - So How Many Games Will We Win?

zCommander

Predict The Season  

86 members have voted

1. 1. What Will Be Our Season Record?

8-9, as I said in the other thread.  

We start 1-4, Ron is fired after Bears game. Sam is benched. Eric becomes interim coach and goes 7-5. Jacoby plays 4 games and goes 2-2. Sam returns and finishes 5-3.

Eric gets a head coaching job elsewhere, though he does interview here. We spend assets to get one of the top qbs in the 24 draft.  Sam starts until rookie qb is ready.

19 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

We start 1-4, Ron is fired after Bears game. Sam is benched. Eric becomes interim coach and goes 7-5. Jacoby plays 4 games and goes 2-2. Sam returns and finishes 5-3.

Eric gets a head coaching job elsewhere, though he does interview here. We spend assets to get one of the top qbs in the 24 draft.  Sam starts until rookie qb is ready.

Shortest horror love story I have ever read.

Edited by zCommander
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

Almost the exact same thing could be said for us last year and we won 3 and a half more games than they did.

But the difference is that they have a bonafide HOF QB in Wilson, with (what looks like) a flukish down season, with an all time terrible coach in Nathaniel Hackett.  If Payton gets Russ to play like pre-2022 Russ, the Broncos will win 10+games EASILY with that defense.  We have a bottom 10 coach, and a 5th Round QB, with a lot of question marks on the offensive line and at TE.  Not exactly the same.

20 minutes ago, samy316 said:

But the difference is that they have a bonafide HOF QB in Wilson, with (what looks like) a flukish down season, with an all time terrible coach in Nathaniel Hackett.  If Payton gets Russ to play like pre-2022 Russ, the Broncos will win 10+games EASILY with that defense.  We have a bottom 10 coach, and a 5th Round QB, with a lot of question marks on the offensive line and at TE.  Not exactly the same.

Why does it look like a flukish down season, how could you possibly know that at this juncture?

He very well could be washed too.

Payton had Brees for all his successful years in New Orleans it's possible he could be far less successful without Drew Brees ala Belichick so far without Brady. 

Guess we'll see but I think we have as much chance of winning week two as the broncos do.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, samy316 said:

I fear Denver’s defense.  They have the kind of defense that can wreck our O-Line, so I think we’ll lose a low scoring contest at Mile High.  

They had one of the worst sack rates in the league last year.  They were not a blow up the O line type of defense.

But they do have a really good back 7.  Really good secondary.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Not that pressure is the be all and end all for a defense.    But I think to thwart this offense specifically it will be an X factor.  I think we for that reason will match up well with teams who don't put a lot of heat on the QB and conversely struggle with those who do.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/sack-pct

NFL Team Sack Percentage

Season:                                                                          2003                                                                         2004                                                                         2005                                                                         2006                                                                         2007                                                                         2008                                                                         2009                                                                         2010                                                                         2011                                                                         2012                                                                         2013                                                                         2014                                                                         2015                                                                         2016                                                                         2017                                                                         2018                                                                         2019                                                                         2020                                                                         2021                                                                         2022                                                                         2023                                                         
Date: 
Rank Team 2022 Last 3 Last 1 Home Away 2021
1 Philadelphia 11.05% 10.00% 0.00% 10.88% 11.25% 5.01%
2 New England 8.31% 4.65% 6.06% 10.00% 6.94% 6.01%
3 Dallas 8.25% 5.79% 6.45% 7.84% 8.59% 6.05%
4 New Orleans 8.22% 11.36% 11.76% 9.60% 7.19% 7.21%
5 Kansas City 7.99% 7.09% 5.00% 7.53% 8.41% 4.71%
6 Washington 7.72% 10.34% 2.56% 6.13% 9.72% 5.98%
7 Baltimore 7.68% 7.34% 11.11% 7.07% 8.12% 5.19%
8 Indianapolis 7.57% 5.00% 2.44% 8.24% 7.06% 5.24%
9 NY Jets 7.49% 6.19% 3.13% 7.07% 7.86% 5.32%
10 Seattle 7.38% 8.93% 3.23% 9.15% 5.56% 4.91%
11 Tampa Bay 7.09% 4.76% 2.94% 7.12% 7.06% 6.28%
12 LA Chargers 7.07% 7.22% 4.08% 8.46% 5.99% 5.89%
13 Houston 6.95% 8.42% 5.41% 5.77% 7.97% 5.54%
14 Pittsburgh 6.87% 12.09% 19.44% 6.93% 6.82% 8.77%
15 Green Bay 6.64% 5.05% 2.86% 9.28% 4.36% 6.47%
16 San Francisco 6.63% 4.90% 3.85% 6.05% 7.44% 8.30%
17 Miami 6.62% 8.70% 15.22% 6.31% 6.90% 7.32%
18 Detroit 6.51% 11.39% 6.90% 7.14% 5.62% 5.23%
19 Buffalo 6.47% 4.72% 2.70% 6.10% 6.90% 7.13%
20 LA Rams 6.40% 8.49% 8.82% 9.06% 4.09% 7.39%
21 NY Giants 6.23% 3.88% 4.00% 8.31% 4.56% 5.27%
22 Cleveland 6.15% 5.26% 3.33% 5.96% 6.34% 6.95%
23 Minnesota 5.92% 5.32% 7.89% 5.68% 6.25% 7.53%
24 Arizona 5.72% 5.05% 16.67% 3.10% 8.50% 6.76%
25 Carolina 5.69% 5.08% 3.85% 5.12% 6.36% 7.04%
26 Denver 5.62% 0.87% 2.22% 7.28% 4.00% 6.02%
27 Tennessee 5.49% 2.78% 3.03% 5.59% 5.41% 7.25%
28 Jacksonville 5.29% 6.03% 0.00% 7.30% 4.04% 5.57%
29 Cincinnati 5.08% 5.00% 6.52% 5.43% 4.85% 6.22%
30 Las Vegas 4.38% 1.96% 7.14% 4.41% 4.35% 5.47%
31 Chicago 3.99% 3.30% 0.00% 3.64% 4.42% 9.32%
32 Atlanta 3.61% 2.15% 0.00% 3.70% 3.49% 3.03%

5 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

you thought this wild shot in the dark was such a prophecy of a post that you decided it needed to go up again? lol with such a specific call you’ll either crow about it forever if it happens, or never mention it again the next time you have a really strong prediction you want to post with such surety 

• Like 1

People keep bringing up Vegas projected wins, and the idiot national people use them as a backstop for lazy commentary.  So I decided to go back and take a quick peek at 2022's Vegas win projections, and then compare them to what actually happened. These Vegas Over/Under numbers are from August 24th 2022 from Fan Duel.  Difference is absolute value, doesn't matter which one was higher.  

Team Vegas Over/Under Number Actual Wins Difference
Colts 10 4 6
Rams 10.5 5 5.5
Broncos 10 5 5
Eagles 9.5 14 4.5
Cardinals 8.5 4 4.5
Vikings 9 13 4
Buccaneers 11.5 8 3.5
Chiefs 10.5 14 3.5
Bears 6.5 3 3.5
Seahawks 5.5 9 3.5
Packers 11 8 3
49ers 10 13 3
Browns 9.5 7 2.5
Raiders 8.5 6 2.5
Lions 6.5 9 2.5
Jaguars 6.5 9 2.5
Cowboys 10 12 2
Bengals 10 12 2
Titans 9 7 2
Giants 7 9 2
Falcons 5 7 2
Bills 11.5 13 1.5
Saints 8.5 7 1.5
Browns 8.5 7 1.5
Steelers 7.5 9 1.5
Jets 5.5 7 1.5
Texans 4.5 3 1.5
Ravens 9.5 10 0.5
Patriots 8.5 8 0.5
Panthers 6.5 7 0.5
Chargers 10 10 0
Dolphins 9 9 0
Commanders 8 8 0

-- 12 of the 30 teams, Vegas's over/under number was off by at least 3 games.  

-- 9 of the 30 teams, Vegas's over/under number was off by 2 or 2.5 games.  That's  relatively close, but in a 17 game season, that's still a difference of 12%

-- 11 of 30 teams, they had a 1.5 or less difference.  

-- Included in the 11, Vegas basically hit the nail on the head 3 times, and were off by half a game 3 more times. 

So what does all that mean?  It means 2 things:

1. The NFL is maddeningly difficult to predict year over year.  It's even difficult to predict week to week.  Vegas doesn't even do it really well ... from a predictive perspective. They do it exceptionally well from a "get the public to bet and make money" perspective.

2. The National Media use Vegas lines to aid them in their lazy coverage of the NFL.  But, about a 3rd of the lines from last year were off by 3+ games, and for 3 teams it was off by 5+ games.  

3. People need to remember Vegas does not set the lines based on what they think the outcome will be.  They set the lines based on what they believe will get somewhat even betting on either side of the number.  And people's perception of how good a team is influences the odds.  

I think I've finally reached the point with the sports media that I reached with the general news media a few years ago: with a few notable exceptions, they're all pontificating idiots.  Some use numbers/analytics to base their arguments on and they sound smart because of it, but they still know virtually nothing. And sometimes when I hear them talk, I wonder if they didn't have the point they wanted to make and then came up with the analytics to support it.  Some don't even have that, and they're just pontificating idiots.

So, shrug.  Vegas and the national media might be right about any team, or they might be wrong.  But chances are that has less to do with analysis and analytic skill than it does the fact even a broken clock is right twice a day.  (An old fashioned, analog, non-digital clock, that is.)  

My prediction is simple: I don't see a ton of difference between this team and last years team so I'm expecting about the same results.  I think they're going to be a little better on defense, specifically in the secondary.  I don't think they're objectively worse on offense. Maybe the same, maybe a smidge better.  

So, last year they went 8-8-1.  This year, I think they're in the same ballpark.  Something extrodinary would have to happen for them to be significantly better or worse.  If Howell is the next Drew Brees, then that could be exceptionally good, but nobody is predicting that.  National Media idiots seem to be predicting the bottom will fall out.  They have no idea (in general) why.  Just that we have a 5th round QB starting.  Could something go horribly wrong?  Yeah.  Allen/Payne could both get hurt, the secondary could implode, who knows.  But something exceptional would have to happen in order for the team to bottom out.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, redskinss said:

Why does it look like a flukish down season, how could you possibly know that at this juncture?

He very well could be washed too.

Payton had Brees for all his successful years in New Orleans it's possible he could be far less successful without Drew Brees ala Belichick so far without Brady. 

Guess we'll see but I think we have as much chance of winning week two as the broncos do.

Because he was incredible for the first 10 seasons of his career with the same coach.  I have a sneaky suspicion that last year was more about how Hackett absolutely sucked as an HC rather than Russ falling off a cliff as a QB.  He could be washed, but I don't buy that he's now a bottom third QB based on how he looked last year.  If we beat Denver, it's going to be a 16-13 or 17-14 type game, where both defenses tee off on each other.

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think I've finally reached the point with the sports media that I reached with the general news media a few years ago: with a few notable exceptions, they're all pontificating idiots.  Some use numbers/analytics to base their arguments on and they sound smart because of it, but they still know virtually nothing. And sometimes when I hear them talk, I wonder if they didn't have the point they wanted to make and then came up with the analytics to support it.  Some don't even have that, and they're just pontificating idiots.

Quick hot takes get the most reaction.  Well reasoned long take views don't get as much audience response.  That is true whether its the news or sports.

9 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So, shrug.  Vegas and the national media might be right about any team, or they might be wrong.  But chances are that has less to do with analysis and analytic skill than it does the fact even a broken clock is right twice a day.  (An old fashioned, analog, non-digital clock, that is.)  

My prediction is simple: I don't see a ton of difference between this team and last years team so I'm expecting about the same results.  I think they're going to be a little better on defense, specifically in the secondary.  I don't think they're objectively worse on offense. Maybe the same, maybe a smidge better.  

So, last year they went 8-8-1.  This year, I think they're in the same ballpark.  Something extrodinary would have to happen for them to be significantly better or worse.  If Howell is the next Drew Brees, then that could be exceptionally good, but nobody is predicting that.  National Media idiots seem to be predicting the bottom will fall out.  They have no idea (in general) why.  Just that we have a 5th round QB starting.  Could something go horribly wrong?  Yeah.  Allen/Payne could both get hurt, the secondary could implode, who knows.  But something exceptional would have to happen in order for the team to bottom out.  

The comments on the national media I think is mostly about being stunned how down they are on this team.  I don't think this is a playoff team but don't think they suck either like most of them do.  But its so wild and so in your face its tough to ignore and not comment on it.  Your guy, Bram has commented on it multiple times.  Sheehan in his last podcast went over it and more.

One commentator though I think naiiled the reasons for the pessimism.

A.  People don't like to bet on a young QB who isn't proven.  The odds run against you on that front.

B.  Of all teams, this is the last one some outside observor is going to bet on trust us on THIS QB.  It's been a comedy of errors at that spot forever.  So if there is a team who hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt its this one.

C.  It's been a loser franchise in general.  The easier bet is to bet against loser franchises. 

I at the start of the off season argued with some who expected a worse season than last -- by arguing QB should be better and the O line will be much better so how can it get worse?  I've adjusted my take on that though with the benefit of the off season.  The O line IMO is at best marginally better.  I do think its going to suck again and I didn't expect that at the beginning of the off season.  But more on point, I like the off seasons of our division rivals.   Then you add a tough schedule in theory, last year we had an easy one.  It feels like 8-9.

I am typically 1-2 games more optimstic than I should be about the season.  I am usually doing what you did here, predicting 10 wins.  I wouldn't be stunned if they won 10 but I'd be surprised.  In my book, everything that has to be right, would have gone right for that to happen, all of it.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Look, the main takeaway is that this team’s perception is always going to be negative, and based on previous history, until this team starts to win big games, and have playoff success.  Anybody predicting doom is simply going off of previous seasons and data suggesting the most likely outcome with this team. The people who are shocked at the media’s perception of us for this coming season, are not living in reality.  Until we prove otherwise, this team will ALWAYS be at the bottom of everyone’s list.  Just because we will have a new owner here within 2 weeks, doesn’t make the previous 25 years of suck go away.  That stink resonates with you for a LONG time.  Could we have a successful season where we make the playoffs?  Yes, it’s possible, but due to the uncertainty at QB and at O-Line, and having Ron Rivera as a coach, it’s certainly a long shot.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Look, the main takeaway is that this team’s perception is always going to be negative, and based on previous history, until this team starts to win big games, and have playoff success.  Anybody predicting doom is simply going off of previous seasons and data suggesting the most likely outcome with this team. The people who are shocked at the media’s perception of us for this coming season, are not living in reality.  Until we prove otherwise, this team will ALWAYS be at the bottom of everyone’s list.  Just because we will have a new owner here within 2 weeks, doesn’t make the previous 25 years of suck go away.  That stink resonates with you for a LONG time.  Could we have a successful season where we make the playoffs?  Yes, it’s possible, but due to the uncertainty at QB and at O-Line, and having Ron Rivera as a coach, it’s certainly a long shot.

Yeah that's most of this, I agree.

For example, as bad as the Jets have been and they are getting some love now for having Rodgers -- there is still some narrative that heck its the Jets, something is bound to go wrong.

Washingon is Washington.

I think that will change over time but its the stench that Dan left us with for now.

https://www.nbcsportswashington.com/commanders/ex-giants-head-coach-ben-mcadoo-takes-shots-at-the-redskins-eagles-and-cowboys/322695/

And despite a rollercoaster of a season that also included general manager Jerry Reese's firing, McAdoo foresees the Giants winning the division in 2018, taking several shots at their fellow NFC East teams in proving his point. 

I think Philly, how much success has Philly had?” McAdoo said. “I think they’re gonna have a hard time handling success. Dallas, I like their offensive line, but how long have we been saying that? Their defense, they got a bunch of young guys playing DB, Sean Lee is banged up a lot, and their D-line, they got a bunch of guys getting in trouble all the time. And Washington is Washington, right?

• Like 1

Jets have a killer schedule early on. If they get thru that with a winning record, than maybe the same ole Jets goes away for 23.

If you Sam Clubbers are right, then this team needs to start 3-2 or better and not have a losing record at any point in the season. Then you discard same ole Washington.

On 7/5/2023 at 1:06 AM, 88Comrade2000 said:

Of course we can, just like we can be better.

Starting essentially a rookie at qb, unknown if additions to oline improve the line or not.

We could easily see 6-11, 7-10 or 8-9. I think your pushing it, expecting anything beyond 9-8.

With our receiver corp, our entire defense and the minor improvements on Oline I don't see how we are worse than last year. Our vet qb lost 2 games for us on his own and our back up lost a game or two also. Howell if not awful won't lose 4 games on his own and with the improvements on defense  and the online we should be able to win 8-11 games

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tomwvr said:

With our receiver corp, our entire defense and the minor improvements on Oline I don't see how we are worse than last year. Our vet qb lost 2 games for us on his own and our back up lost a game or two also. Howell if not awful won't lose 4 games on his own and with the improvements on defense  and the online we should be able to win 8-11 games

MINOR is the key word here.  If Minor means going from absolute disaster to just plain old bad, that won’t be enough to get us to 9+ wins.  Let’s not forget that Howell is essentially a rookie QB, so while he might not be as awful as {redacted} or Wentz, he’s going to have games where he turns the ball over at inopportune times, and he’ll have a few stinker, along with a few gems like all rookie QB’s.  The key here is how the O-Line will protect Howell.  If Howell struggles out of the gate, the line will make things MUCH worse by allowing pressure and sacks.  I just don’t see any plausible scenario where we win more than 10+ games, unless Howell is Mahommes-lite OR the O-Line shocks us all by being a competent unit.  I doubt either scenario happens.

Edited by samy316

1 hour ago, samy316 said:

MINOR is the key word here.  If Minor means going from absolute disaster to just plain old bad, that won’t be enough to get us to 9+ wins.  Let’s not forget that Howell is essentially a rookie QB, so while he might not be as awful as {redacted} or Wentz, he’s going to have games where he turns the ball over at inopportune times, and he’ll have a few stinker, along with a few gems like all rookie QB’s.  The key here is how the O-Line will protect Howell.  If Howell struggles out of the gate, the line will make things MUCH worse by allowing pressure and sacks.  I just don’t see any plausible scenario where we win more than 10+ games, unless Howell is Mahommes-lite OR the O-Line shocks us all by being a competent unit.  I doubt either scenario happens.

I see 8-10 wins. I always go to the optimistic pick for us so I can be more disappointed as the season goes on. I see us starting 2-0 then 2-2  then 4-2 followed by 4-4 then 7-4 then 7-6 followed by 9-7 and the dallas games gives us 9-8 or 10-7  and no playoffs

Edited by tomwvr
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Imagine a qualified GM (and his hand-picked coach and their staff) inheriting this roster and immediately getting to draft Caleb Williams at 1.01 after spending some FA money on the OL. That would be a dream scenario and worth a very miserable final season of Rivera. We’d rise even faster than the Bengals did after selecting Burrow—in a much weaker conference. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

if this dude is right then hello Caleb Williams 

I only see 3 games in the first 8 I wouldn't bet on us to win.  The problem again is the slow start habit, but hard as overall schedule is, games like SF and finale to close it out are at home.

10 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I only see 3 games in the first 8 I wouldn't bet on us to win.  The problem again is the slow start habit, but hard as overall schedule is, games like SF and finale to close it out are at home.

I actually wonder if EB isn't going to light a fire and sense of urgency under the offense.  Certainly sounds like he's having a big impact in terms of practice habits and even has quite a bit of say in the plan for each practice.  I wonder if we don't come out swinging and really shake the "slow start" reputation.

Edited by Rex Tomb
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1