Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DC area earthquake? (No earthquake but something weird happened)

spjunkies

• spjunkies changed the title to DC area earthquake? (2023)

nova sub on Reddit lit up with people all over the area reporting the same thing.  

I heard it too.  From the sound and the lack of any reported destruction… I’m guessing a sonic boom or maybe a meteor burst in the sky?  Something in the sky is my guess.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Looks like it was just a really fast plane lol

do they normally travel that far? Google says it’s felt 1 mile per thousand feet of altitude, so at 50,000 feet a 50 mile cone. The bay is more than 50 miles away from me I think. Maybe some top gun fan decided to punch it where he shouldn’t have.  lol

• Haha 2

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/loud-boom-shakes-washington-dc-fire-department-reports-no-incidents-2023-06-04/

U.S. authorities scrambled jet fighters in a high-speed chase of a light aircraft that violated airspace in the Washington D.C. area and later crashed into mountainous terrain in southwest Virginia, U.S. officials said.

The jet fighters caused a sonic boom over the U.S. capital as they raced to catch up with the Cessna Citation, which can carry between seven to 12 passengers, officials said.

Anyone know the exact time of the sonic boom?  I'm curious if we could hear it and if it's on my Nest cameras.

EDIT:

Saw on one of the other cameras that caught it, it is at 3:10pm.

It wasn't caught on my camera here in Rockville.

Edited by purbeast

We were swimming in a pool, at a house that the fighter jet(s) flew directly over  

the sound was unreal. It sounded like a multiple trains were running over our heads at the same time blaring their horns

Was talking with Dad under the deck when we heard it. Came out front, three other neighbors outside lookin around...

I joked I thought we was about to get same thing as the dinosaurs...but didn't smell fire so we all went back inside...

It's weird living around here...for every reminder of what we'd do in the event of a precieved threat to DC to keep us safe have to keep in mind the higher odds of being a target in the first place...

16 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

You think they’d tell us if they did shoot it down?

who knows? What’s odd is that reports say they haven’t found the crash site.  How is that possible if the jets watched it go down? I don’t know a single thing about warplanes, but do they not have a way of identifying the location of something they see? Seems like that would be an essential function of all military aircraft and crew.

27 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

It’s always sad to see the pictures, but especially when small kids are involved.  I wonder what happened aboard that flight to make it go hundreds of miles off course only to crash as it did.  

• Like 1