Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DC area earthquake? (No earthquake but something weird happened)

spjunkies

1 hour ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

sounds like the cabin might have depressurized and it was on autopilot....essentially the pilot was incapacitated like what happened to Payne Stewart

I have no familiarity with how autopilot works or anything relating to flying airplanes in general. I understand how to secure a boarding pass, pretend to be surprised that I’ve been selected for additional screening, and finding in my seat.  This plane was supposed to land in New Jersey from Tennessee.  It seems to have flown to New Jersey, but  than land it turned around and flew over DC maybe headed back to Tennessee? Does auto pilot just take the plane back to its original point of departure when no one directs it?

16 hours ago, spjunkies said:

I didn't feel or see anything, but family keeps calling saying they felt something across the region. Also seeing posts about it on the Twitter. 

Sad for this family.

Edited by FrFan

5 hours ago, Fergasun said:

That's horrible.  I will never understand why the ultrawealthy don't travel by first class. Poor nanny and her family as well. 

I am guessing they travel by first class often.  Shorter flights would be much quicker in a private plane.  To the ultra wealthy, time is everything.

7 hours ago, Fergasun said:

That's horrible.  I will never understand why the ultrawealthy don't travel by first class. Poor nanny and her family as well. 

Because when you fly private you don’t have to deal with main terminal and security and boarding. 

they have a separate area of the airport, and there’s many smaller airports they can use 

• spjunkies changed the title to DC area earthquake? (No earthquake but something weird happened)

Also, fun fact, which I believe I brought up in the “airline experience” thread

if you adjust for inflation and compare objectively, todays first class ticket (and experience) is on par with the original airline ticket. 

what they did was create a significantly lesser experience, to create cheaper tickets.  

first class isn’t for the ultra wealthy. Private is. No security, no waiting around, no need to be there 2 hours early, and the ability to use private or significantly smaller airfields creates a ton of options for direct flights and such. So now you’re not landing 2 hours away from your real destination, but right down the road. In fact one of the resorts I go golfing and skiing at has its own airfield for members to land. They don’t need to drive anywhere. 

first class is really for business travel and people with lots of points racked up. And is often referred to as business class. It’s not really for the ultra wealthy. 

Edited by tshile

Just now, tshile said:

Also, fun fact, which I believe I brought up in the “airline experience” thread

if you adjust for inflation and compare objectively, todays first class ticket (and experience) is on part with the original airline ticket. 

what they did was create a significantly lesser experience, to create cheaper tickets.  

first class isn’t for the ultra wealthy. Private is. No security, no waiting around, no need to be there 2 hours early, and the ability to use private or significantly smaller airfields creates a ton of options for direct flights and such. So now you’re not landing 2 hours away from your real destination, but right down the road. In fact one of the resorts I go golfing and skiing at has its own airfield for members to land. They don’t need to drive anywhere. 

first class is really for business travel and people with lots of points racked up. And is often referred to as business class. It’s not really for the ultra wealthy. 

I hear you but some of it does come down to which airline and international vs. domestic.

Domestic first class is just bigger seats and some add-ons.

Some of the Asian and middle eastern international first class is absolutely baller and some of it reserved for the ultra wealthy. My wife and I flew to Hong Kong business class on a Cathay Pacific flight and that was one of the nicest travel experiences I'm ever had. I can't imagine how nice first class was.

Most of the American and European airlines can't touch the level of service that those other airlines have.

Emirates A380 First Class cabin features | Emirates First Class cabin features | Emirates United States

First class from RVA to Vegas is $1000-2000, more or less.

Private jet from RVA to Vegas long weekend style would likely start around $50k.  Or that might be slightly inaccurate…it’s been awhile since since I booked a private flight.

Anyhooo, Tsizzle is correct.  Two very different things.

1 hour ago, CobraCommander said:

Some of the Asian and middle eastern international first class is absolutely baller and some of it reserved for the ultra wealthy. My wife and I flew to Hong Kong business class on a Cathay Pacific flight and that was one of the nicest travel experiences I'm ever had.

Yeah that’s true. 

my wife and I went to Europe for 2 weeks. Our outbound flight was canceled and the system rebooked us in first class free of charge. Our seats were like these egg pod things. We could recline down to a bed position. We each had our own like 36” tv. That was a ridiculously luxurious flight. 

I was really only speaking to the typical domestic flight. I fly first class there quite a bit. My international flights are limited and that was my only experience in first class. 

Why don’t pilots wear masks all the time during flight? Seems like an easy way to prevent things like this that seem to happen every few years…

On 6/5/2023 at 10:31 AM, tshile said:

When I flew to Chicago last year it was actually cheaper to buy a first class seat than a coach seat with luggage and being able to pick your seat ahead of time add ons….