Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

8 hours ago, mudhog said:

I know this is just speculation on Keim's part, but after re-watching the Washington/Baltimore game tonight, I wonder if the Ravens might be interested in a player trade with us for Fuller. Their secondary is currently decimated by injuries, and they need a starting corner pronto. Meanwhile they have some very good depth at interior linemen, and even at tackle. One of which, David Sharpe, used to be a Redskin. At the very least, they might be willing to trade one of their TE's who showed well against us last night. Just curious to see what people think about Baltimore being the source of Keim's speculation, and if there is anyone on their roster worth trading a quality starting corner like Fuller for.

Trading Fuller now because we drafted Forbes and BSJ is healthy at the moment, is similar to trading Moses because we drafted Cosmi.  And that looks foolish now. Let's not panic the moment we actually have some depth by flushing it down the toilet.  And if it's for a JAG like David Sharpe I'm gonna puke.  

Fuller's experience and versatility will be helpful for the development of the young guys.  I don't expect them to trade him.  He has a lot more value to us in 2023 given the youth of our secondary then he would to a new team that has to trade assets to acquire a CB in the last year of his deal with a cap hit of 8.5.  The comp pick we get when/if he walks after 2023 will probably be at least as good as any return we get in a trade.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

Trading Fuller now because we drafted Forbes and BSJ is healthy at the moment, is similar to trading Moses because we drafted Cosmi.  And that looks foolish now. Let's not panic the moment we actually have some depth by flushing it down the toilet.  And if it's for a JAG like David Sharpe I'm gonna puke.  

Fuller's experience and versatility will be helpful for the development of the young guys.  I don't expect them to trade him.  He has a lot more value to us in 2023 given the youth of our secondary then he would to a new team that has to trade assets to acquire a CB in the last year of his deal with a cap hit of 8.5.  The comp pick we get when/if he walks after 2023 will probably be at least as good as any return we get in a trade.

With 80 million in cap room this upcoming off-season, I doubt we'll be in position to get any comp picks.  I'm with you on not trading Fuller now though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

With 80 million in cap room this upcoming off-season, I doubt we'll be in position to get any comp picks.  I'm with you on not trading Fuller now though.

You're probably right, but a lot of that 80 mil could be going into extensions/tag for existing players like sweat/young/curl with the rest mostly being role player type contracts, and then the rookies.  Fullers FA departure could also offset one of our acquisitions, and it would still leave a decent comp pick for us if one of those guys above were to leave via FA.  Who knows.

But aside from comp pick consideration, I still hope they hang onto him.  He is good for the DB room and the young guys.

36 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I'd trade him.I'd trade anyone we can get picks for. This isn't the year we make a run at the superbowl. Next year could be though. Load up for our bright future.

Fuller is a legit starting CB and that's valuable. Especially when the season starts.

40 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I wonder if losing Coach Harris had an affect on Fullers attitude.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd trade him.I'd trade anyone we can get picks for. This isn't the year we make a run at the superbowl. Next year could be though. Load up for our bright future.

Fuller is a legit starting CB and that's valuable. Especially when the season starts.

I wonder if losing Coach Harris had an affect on Fullers attitude.

Might we not want to extend Fuller? I doubt we get much for him, and then we’d just have to replace him next year.

2 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Might we not want to extend Fuller? I doubt we get much for him, and then we’d just have to replace him next year.

Juice and Forbes are our starting CBs next year I'd think. Quan the nickle and we have next years draft. We have Curl, Sweat, Chase and Fuller to replace. I'd say that Curl, who is on path to being a top tier'd safety and Sweat, who shouldn't be a bank breaker are musts to resign. Chase is a should resign and Fuller has his replacement on the roster and is getting up there in age, although I'd love to keep him.

16 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Juice and Forbes are our starting CBs next year I'd think. Quan the nickle and we have next years draft. We have Curl, Sweat, Chase and Fuller to replace. I'd say that Curl, who is on path to being a top tier'd safety and Sweat, who shouldn't be a bank breaker are musts to resign. Chase is a should resign and Fuller has his replacement on the roster and is getting up there in age, although I'd love to keep him.

Pretty much.  We don't have great CB depth (who does) in that Johnson is probably CB4 and Holmes is CB5.  Quan probably gets a year to acclimate and learn the defense to become the slot CB next year cheaply replacing Fuller.  As you said, we'll use the money savings to extend Curl.  

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't expect a super bowl run in 2023 with this roster, but by 2024, we could be in a position to contend.  2024-26 could be our window, and Fuller would be 31 in 2026.  He should be able to remain a valuable piece to our defense throughout this window.  I'd hate to trade him now and not try to keep him in the fold.  He is a guy we traded away and then he came back to sign with us, and I'm guessing the fact that he is from the area had something to do with that.  And we were a clown show then, with our franchise trending in the right direction, I'm hoping we could extend him without breaking the bank.  Between him and the young guys, we can be confident with our DBs, and use draft/FA to focus on other areas.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MartinC said:

Nah. Dotson looks like he’s going to be really good - but let’s not forget just how good Terry is. 

That said having a 1A and 1B is going to be very very good for a young QB.

Wasn't a dig at TM. Just meant that Dotson is showing the potential to leapfrog TM as the go to guy here. Pretty luxurious for any QB if that happens.

29 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I don't expect a super bowl run in 2023 with this roster, but by 2024, we could be in a position to contend.  2024-26 could be our window, and Fuller would be 31 in 2026.  He should be able to remain a valuable piece to our defense throughout this window.  I'd hate to trade him now and not try to keep him in the fold.  He is a guy we traded away and then he came back to sign with us, and I'm guessing the fact that he is from the area had something to do with that.  And we were a clown show then, with our franchise trending in the right direction, I'm hoping we could extend him without breaking the bank.  Between him and the young guys, we can be confident with our DBs, and use draft/FA to focus on other areas.

From what I understand, he's a great culture guy, but between drafting a CB1 and a Nickle CB and changing DBs coach, who knows what's happening behind the doors.

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t see how Quan can be the slot CB/nickel/hybrid. He looks lost and intimidated every time I see him. Maybe he’s doing better in practice?

You know who's really looked bad? Percy Butler and that's unfortunate. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t see how Quan can be the slot CB/nickel/hybrid. He looks lost and intimidated every time I see him. Maybe he’s doing better in practice?

Obviously, way too early to come to any conclusions about Quan Martin, but plug and play does NOT seem to be in the cards for him.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think they're banking on "lost" and "intimidated" canceling out.

He hasn't been what I'd hoped thus far, that's for sure.

24 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

You know who's really looked bad? Percy Butler and that's unfortunate. 

Ironically Butler and Martin were the two picks in the last two drafts that made me go... "huh?".

Though I liked Quan better than KJ Henry/Braeden Daniels and I definitely liked him more than Butler and I'm not all the way out on him... he's still young. But...

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Ironically Butler and Martin were the two picks in the last two drafts that made me go... "huh?".

Though I liked Quan better than KJ Henry/Braeden Daniels and I definitely liked him more than Butler and I'm not all the way out on him... he's still young. But...

The second round isn't our strong suit strangely enough.

Taking Quan seemed like such a luxury pick, especially with Mauch and JMS still on the board. That just kills me.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I hope so after reading this!

-----

After coming away with a big interception in the end zone against the Baltimore Ravens, we're willing to bet Martin is pretty satisfied with the progress he's shown this week. 

"Definitely did better than last week," Martin said. "Still got some things to clean up on my end but overall a better game I think."

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/news/washington-commanders-quan-martin-interception-rookie-emmanuel-forbes-draft-react-recap

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

I hope so after reading this!

-----

After coming away with a big interception in the end zone against the Baltimore Ravens, we're willing to bet Martin is pretty satisfied with the progress he's shown this week. 

"Definitely did better than last week," Martin said. "Still got some things to clean up on my end but overall a better game I think."

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/news/washington-commanders-quan-martin-interception-rookie-emmanuel-forbes-draft-react-recap

This isn’t a great quote :ols:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Pretty much.  We don't have great CB depth (who does) in that Johnson is probably CB4 and Holmes is CB5.  Quan probably gets a year to acclimate and learn the defense to become the slot CB next year cheaply replacing Fuller.  As you said, we'll use the money savings to extend Curl.  

Danny Johnson is one of the most underrated players on D. Whenever he gets to play, he seems to make at least one notable play a game and he proved last year that he can play on the outside. He’s a guy who has been taken for granted for years and he finds a way to stay on the roster due to his versatility (including as a returner), his valedictorian brain and his work ethic

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

The second round isn't our strong suit strangely enough.

Taking Quan seemed like such a luxury pick, especially with Mauch and JMS still on the board. That just kills me.

I liked his college tape a lot.  But I still thought it was a luxury pick at the time.   For a FO that can force need based draft picks, Jamn Davis being a good example of that -- it surprises me how laid back they were about the offense.

They are grooming a young QB, have some more urgency in helping the dude.  If Ron doesnt believe in the O linemen in the draft than how about TE?

The Giants are raving about Hyatt, JMS and Banks who are sure fire starters this season.  Hawkins is likely their 4th starter from this class, maybe Owens, too.  So the Giants with 3-5 starters from the class for this season in all likelihood.  With us with 1 starter for 2023.

And in addition they are touting their move for Waller as a game changer for their offense.  And Campbell also with a big camp.

we can talk about all the contributions we are going to get in 2024 but for now as to starters in 2023 it looks like the Giants kicked our asses in this latest draft and in the off season in general.  

I am not a Daniel Jones guy so i am hoping he holds them back.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1

Sucks that Rodriguez fumbled but hopefully everyone forgot after our most glorious preseason win, maybe ever. I think fumbles had a hand in Perine quickly falling out of favor with fans even though he only had 2 (dodged 1 charged to the QB on a pitch - a stat/rule that needs to change). And Jay for only calling fullback dives for him.

Fun Fact: Perine hasn't fumbled since 2017.

Edited by RandyHolt

15 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Sucks that Rodriguez fumbled but hopefully everyone forgot after our most glorious preseason win, maybe ever. I think fumbles had a hand in Perine quickly falling out of favor with fans even though he only had 2 (dodged 1 charged to the QB on a pitch - a stat/rule that needs to change). And Jay for only calling fullback dives for him.

Not all fumbles are equal.

If I'm reviewing the film with C-Rod, I would not tell him to do much of anything different. He did a lot of things to protect the ball. Used 2 hands, lowered his frame. He just had a billion guys on him and could not account for the billion-and-one guy coming in and knocking it out.

Just gotta spend time in the gym on the upper body. Welcome to the NFL. That is life for every young player.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Not all fumbles are equal.

If I'm reviewing the film with C-Rod, I would not tell him to do much of anything different. He did a lot of things to protect the ball. Used 2 hands, lowered his frame. He just had a billion guys on him and could not account for the billion-and-one guy coming in and knocking it out.

Just gotta spend time in the gym on the upper body. Welcome to the NFL. That is life for every young player.

Think it was Hoffman that said he had a better YPC this game than the Browns game which was 5.9

3 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Think it was Hoffman that said he had a better YPC this game than the Browns game which was 5.9

Yeah he has a stupid good Avg this preseason, but that happens for most RBs w/ any kind of power or burst in PS. They are built to look like Gods when you put them on a field with a bunch of backups who cant tackle or fill lanes. The strong guys fall forward and the fast guys run around them

C Rob had a 6.2 avg vs the ravens

Gore had a 7.5 avg

J Will had a 7.7

Crazy numbies. You put any of these guys on the field vs backups and they will drag guys like they are tied behind a car.

Even backup RBs are some of the best athletes on the field and it really shows in PS.

I like C Rob a lot tho. His fundamentals are really strong. He also looks to have more receiving chops than B-Rob.

I don't think he has B-Robs power tho... not yet anyway.

• Like 1

I don't care if BRob isn't dynamic out in space in the passing game. It's just too easy for defenses when the lead back NEVER gets targets. He has looked fine in the passing game and am thrilled EB is here pushing KCs playbook over the dated Turner offense/RR approach.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1