Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

Training camp! Time to put the work in!

"We're not doing any of that. The Jets did that this year. You watch. Hard Knocks, all of it. I can see it coming. Remember when (former Commanders owner) Dan Snyder put that Dream Team together? I was at the Giants (in 2000). I was a young coach. I thought, 'How are we going to compete with them? Deion's (Sanders) there now.' That team won eight games or whatever. So, listen ... just put the work in." - Sean Payton, July 27.

https://www.nfl.com/news/sean-payton-takes-shot-at-nathaniel-hackett-era-broncos-vows-to-do-opposite-one-

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

Training camp! Time to put the work in!

"We're not doing any of that. The Jets did that this year. You watch. Hard Knocks, all of it. I can see it coming. Remember when (former Commanders owner) Dan Snyder put that Dream Team together? I was at the Giants (in 2000). I was a young coach. I thought, 'How are we going to compete with them? Deion's (Sanders) there now.' That team won eight games or whatever. So, listen ... just put the work in." - Sean Payton, July 27.

https://www.nfl.com/news/sean-payton-takes-shot-at-nathaniel-hackett-era-broncos-vows-to-do-opposite-one-

Can't really compare the 2000 Skins to this year's Jets. The Jets have a loaded young roster and are going from league worst QB play to future Hall of Famer. The 2000 Skins simply signed a bunch of old guys.

But I do get what Payton is saying. Man he really went off on Hackett in that article. I don't think I've ever heard a coach just publicly eviscerate his predecessor like that before.

• Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, DWinzit said:

It does seem JDR has evolved to some degree. He also has amassed boatload of talent across the board that fit the scheme that he wants to run. Bring a new DC in and they might revamp the D that doesn't mesh with the roster. That and him having the history of being both a HC and DC gives him street cred to stay maybe with EB if he proves to be worthy. If the Offense falls flat...so goes EB and they are all out the dorr with the new GM would be my guess. I don't really see Ron either as existing in a coaching role next year (barring a hugely successful 2023)

Of course he’s evolved. No one can stay totally stagnant in their scheme and expect to find success. I change parts of my scheme every season. Teams know me and know my overall strategy but I have small changes every year to keep offensive coordinators on their toes. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Del Rio is a solid D.C. Not sure why people hate on him so much. I think our drop off in 2021 was mostly due to just facing an absolutely ridiculous slate of opposing QBs. No defense would have done well against that schedule.

That and terrible Edge and Corner play. Talent level was worse in 2021.

31 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Of course he’s evolved. No one can stay totally stagnant in their scheme and expect to find success. I change parts of my scheme every season. Teams know me and know my overall strategy but I have small changes every year to keep offensive coordinators on their toes. 

Yup and why I think he has a shot at staying even if RR is out based on my prior comments. He has been pretty solid, evolved and has probably the best all around group he had at least since in Washington. One LB upgrade would even be sweeter for him! 

1 hour ago, formerly4skins said:

Can you imaging a player doing that to a Belicheck, Parcells, or Gibbs type coach....shoot, even to Ron?

I mean, I'd try to do it to Ron. Then again, I don't greatly value my own personal safety.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Clearly the team did not realize the demand on a weekday. I don't know how many more buses they need, but doubling wouldn't hurt.

How would they not realize the demand? You had to get tickets through SeatGeek. Should have had a solid estimate

1 minute ago, BigDibbs31 said:

How would they not realize the demand? You had to get tickets through SeatGeek. Should have had a solid estimate

Probably accidentally using Danny Boy's cooked set of books to determine possible attendance figures.

Just a heads up for anyone attending in the future, you don’t have to park and take a shuttle from Dulles Town Center.

We gave up and left, and I told my son we’d ride by Redskins Park and take a look and much to my pleasure - they were parking folks on every square inch of grass.  We got in there and the vibes were unlike any I’ve ever experienced as an adult at anything related to this team.  Soooo many people.  

We pretty much chalked up the likelihood of getting Terry to sign his jersey was very low with that many people, several rows back along every piece of fence in the property.

But…

There was a place to cross over the walkway the players take to the locker room with the rope down so folks could get over to the other festivities at camp.  We hovered there until practice ended and security pulled the rope up.  Here comes Terry, everyone chanting his name and he was just playing the crowd up, so genuine and 110% smile.  Within 5 minutes he made his way down to us and signed my sons jersey and gladly took a picture.  Not just with my son, but anyone he could.  He stayed longer than anyone else, just an absolute class act.

IMG_3724.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 24

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Oh yeah, the line waiting for the shuttles was just as sick as the lines to get there.  3 school buses.

They probably just underestimated the need.

The difference is tomorrow there will probably be ten busses where as with Snyder there would suddenly be paid parking at the mall and a meter on the bus you had to run your credit card through to get on.

• Haha 2