Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2023 Draft - Hindsight Picks

“Misdirection”

Not hindsight for me, I wanted Gonzalez in real time when I saw that he was dropping.  Injuries happen.  I can't trash a FO for that.  

The two CBs on my guys list were DJ Turner who they could have had in the late 2nd and Banks. Both had much better seasons than Forbes.  That's not hindsight.  

Having said that am  not out on Forbes, let the movie run some more.  But when you take a prospect that most said was going in the 2nd round -- and whose weight is historically low for that spot, you better be right.

It's like my family telling me they want to go to name this well reviewed good restaurant and I hit back and say no I think this new place is even better ignore the consensus trip advisor takes on this and trust me instead.  Then I better be right otherwise my family would be and should be giving me a hard time. 

Screen Shot 2023-10-21 at 10.44.36 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

Porter Jr would look pretty good right now. 

They need more impact players, so I get the homerun swing. Just too bad Forbes isn't up to the task this year. 

Porter Jr. is on team that maximizes his potential.  Unfortunately, this coaching staff doesn't believe in that and instead believes in their schemes over their players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2023 at 10:39 AM, Conn said:

It doesn’t matter that he’s out for the year, Gonzalez was obviously the better pick there and most thought so at the time. Nothing done in that draft was saving this regime but it sucks they screwed over the next one. 

Yeah it does.  This is the hindsight thread, and we know via hindsight that Gonzalez gets hurt and missed his rookie season.  There is actually a chance that Forbes ends up being the better pick simply by still being healthy and playing the rest of the year.

I agree that nothing done in this draft was going to save this regime though.  Draft picks aren't for major rookie year impact.  They didn't screw over the next regime though.  Screwing over the next guys would be trading future picks, moving up for a QB, spending a bunch of cap money.

24 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Yeah it does.  This is the hindsight thread, and we know via hindsight that Gonzalez gets hurt and missed his rookie season.  There is actually a chance that Forbes ends up being the better pick simply by still being healthy and playing the rest of the year.

🤷‍♂️ Maybe? They both played the same amount of snaps last week despite Forbes being fully healthy. Gonzalez gave more quality snaps in a couple weeks than Forbes has so far all season. We’ll see on this one. 

They didn't screw over the next regime though. 

I’d argue leaving the next regime with a functional prototypical starting NFL CB (maybe even a young stud) would have been normal to great work, even if he missed much of his rookie season after showing he was immediately good. Instead they’re leaving the next regime with a boom/bust beanpole who may or may not be able to play in this league, and they’ve shaken his confidence on top of it. 

Depends on your definition of “screw over” I guess but with the way they used and deployed this draft pick, I’d say they did absolutely screw over the next regime compared to the normal choice they could have easily made on draft day.

Screwing over the next guys would be trading future picks, moving up for a QB, spending a bunch of cap money.

Agreed, this would have been devastating and I’m glad it didn’t happen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Screwing over the next guys would be trading future picks, moving up for a QB, spending a bunch of cap money.

Yes that would have been screwing the new regime. Thank goodness none of that occurred! 

They should have however made better draft selections.

Fingers crossed Forbes, Quan, Strom, CRod and KJ at least can be more positively productive as the season plays out. 

They left the new regime with tough decisions with how to handle many of the limited or nonproductive choices from this year.

A number of them probably don't make the 53. 

19 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I agree that nothing done in this draft was going to save this regime though.  Draft picks aren't for major rookie year impact.  They didn't screw over the next regime though.  Screwing over the next guys would be trading future picks, moving up for a QB, spending a bunch of cap money.

Last night Deonte Banks and Jalin Hyatt made plays to help the Giants win.  X factors.  We got nothing from our class, yet.   

Ron signed his own career death warrant with this lackluster off season IMO.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2023 at 5:55 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Last night Deonte Banks and Jalin Hyatt made plays to help the Giants win.  X factors.  We got nothing from our class, yet.   

Ron signed his own career death warrant with this lackluster off season IMO.

I really wanted Banks with our pick the whole process (I assumed Gonzales wouldn’t be there). How nice would it be to have either guy?

I am getting the sense that Quan is a guy who makes big plays. Had a sack called back in ATL, forced a fumble on teams and showed off that 40 inch vert with that PD. He should absolutely get more PT - not the right guy to take in the 2nd given need but I am intrigued. Hopefully he pays off for the next regime. I see the elite potential

Given Gates’s struggles at center, Stromberg needs to show what he has sooner than later. 

On 10/22/2023 at 12:51 PM, DWinzit said:

Yes that would have been screwing the new regime. Thank goodness none of that occurred! 

They should have however made better draft selections.

Fingers crossed Forbes, Quan, Strom, CRod and KJ at least can be more positively productive as the season plays out. 

They left the new regime with tough decisions with how to handle many of the limited or nonproductive choices from this year.

A number of them probably don't make the 53. 

I’d be shocked if Daniels makes the 53 next year

• Like 2

The problem (imho) with all this draft pick wouldshouldacoulda is that these players went to teams with coaching staffs that at least half ass utilize their talent.  What in the blue hell makes you think this coaching staff would have allowed the players to be the same or better than they are?

We can’t really know if these picks actually suck that bad because of this effed up coaching staff.

8 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

The problem (imho) with all this draft pick wouldshouldacoulda is that these players went to teams with coaching staffs that at least half ass utilize their talent.  What in the blue hell makes you think this coaching staff would have allowed the players to be the same or better than they are?

We can’t really know if these picks actually suck that bad because of this effed up coaching staff.

Yeah true. Joey Porter jr in particular went to the perfect fit since the Steelers play a ton of press man to synergize with Watt and the dominant pass rush.

Imagine that. Building a defense where the parts compliment each other to create the most optimal play style and maximize your best players.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, method man said:

I really wanted Banks with our pick the whole process (I assumed Gonzales wouldn’t be there). How nice would it be to have either guy?

I am getting the sense that Quan is a guy who makes big plays. Had a sack called back in ATL, forced a fumble on teams and showed off that 40 inch vert with that PD. He should absolutely get more PT - not the right guy to take in the 2nd given need but I am intrigued. Hopefully he pays off for the next regime. I see the elite potential

Banks and DJ Turner were the two corners on my guys list.  So I was big fans of both.  I was a big Quan guy, too, also on my list.  But I didn't love how they skipped the O line. I didn't envision the O line to be this lineup when draft day started.  

If they were going to double down on the secondary, then IMO that secondary needs to be special if you are using both top picks on the spot.

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Banks and DJ Turner were the two corners on my guys list.  So I was big fans of both.  I was a big Quan guy, too, also on my list.  But I didn't love how they skipped the O line. I didn't envision the O line to be this lineup when draft day started.  

If they were going to double down on the secondary, then IMO that secondary needs to be special if you are using both top picks on the spot.

I hear you. The saving grace is that Cody Mauch has apparently been pretty bad (43 PFF grade) and O'Cyrus Torrence wasn't a schematic fit. If the next regime gets to work and fixes the OL in 24 and Quan pans out to be a stud, we won't lament the pick as much as we are now. 

On the OL, generally, I think we are a stud tackle and an insertion of Stromberg away (with the implication of Wylie moving inside) from having at least an average OL assuming they can bring a legitimate OL coach who can teach them the basics like how to deal with stunts.

10 minutes ago, method man said:

I hear you. The saving grace is that Cody Mauch has apparently been pretty bad (43 PFF grade) and O'Cyrus Torrence wasn't a schematic fit. If the next regime gets to work and fixes the OL in 24 and Quan pans out to be a stud, we won't lament the pick as much as we are now. 

On the OL, generally, I think we are a stud tackle and an insertion of Stromberg away (with the implication of Wylie moving inside) from having at least an average OL assuming they can bring a legitimate OL coach who can teach them the basics like how to deal with stunts.

Young lineman can take some time to find their groove.   But will see.  As for Torrence not being a scheme fit I gather because of his gap style run blocking -- I know one of the beat insiders, forgetting whom said this team poked around Torrence some, I got the impression he was on the table in some fashion.   Torrence actually in an interview referred to his meetings with Washington.   Torrence only has allowed 1 sack and 1 hit.  I'd wecome that here.   He played well against our D line it seemed. 

And i used to buy the idea about we need these zone blocking O lineman who can move -- but I am not moved by that point anymore considering how little we run the ball period.   Pass protect is way more important than run blocking in this scheme thus far.

But again, i am not grading Ron on the O line purely on one draft.   I am grading him on everything.   

If Quan turns out to be a stud, sure.  He was my late in the draft process man crush and posted a lot about him the week leading to the draft.  So in a vaccum I dig that pick.  Not sure though Quan would offset Forbes if Forbes ends up a bust.  Forbes clearly isn't on a good track at this given time.  But I'll give him more time.

59 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Young lineman can take some time to find their groove.   But will see.  As for Torrence not being a scheme fit I gather because of his gap style run blocking -- I know one of the beat insiders, forgetting whom said this team poked around Torrence some, I got the impression he was on the table in some fashion.   Torrence actually in an interview referred to his meetings with Washington.   Torrence only has allowed 1 sack and 1 hit.  I'd wecome that here.   He played well against our D line it seemed. 

And i used to buy the idea about we need these zone blocking O lineman who can move -- but I am not moved by that point anymore considering how little we run the ball period.   Pass protect is way more important than run blocking in this scheme thus far.

But again, i am not grading Ron on the O line purely on one draft.   I am grading him on everything.   

If Quan turns out to be a stud, sure.  He was my late in the draft process man crush and posted a lot about him the week leading to the draft.  So in a vaccum I dig that pick.  Not sure though Quan would offset Forbes if Forbes ends up a bust.  Forbes clearly isn't on a good track at this given time.  But I'll give him more time.

Quan does not offset Forbes is Forbes sucks but it would be nice to walk away from this draft with at least one plus starter and one average starter albeit at low value positions.

• Like 1

Anton Harrison's PFF score is started to creep closer to 60 which isn't bad.  As we all know O lineman often take some time.  Andrew Thomas among others wasn't hot their first year.  Looking at his game by game PFF scores he has oddly alternating from really good games to bad games, so he's not finding consistency.

Some suggest since Harrison isn't unusually starting with his hair on fire as a player as a rookie O lineman, then maybe we dodged one there.  But even with his ups and downs he certainly has played better than Forbes.

• Thumb up 1

in retrospect we should have offered a mid round pick to move up to get Darnell Wright while drafting JMS in the 2nd. We'd have stabilized RT and C for now and the future. And simply not having Forbes on the field might have been enough of a positive to get us the win in Philly.

• Like 3

Wish we could have gotten Spoon.  Look at how PFF has him graded even higher when he moves inside to cover the slot.  He is the demonstration of the value of position flex--a great player who can do it all.

Myles Murphy isn't getting any run in Cincinnati, and I'm wondering how available he might become in the near future.  It feels an awful lot like one of Chase Young or Montez Sweat is going to walk in free agency this winter, I think we should be kicking the tires on Murphy.

7 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Wish we could have gotten Spoon.  Look at how PFF has him graded even higher when he moves inside to cover the slot.  He is the demonstration of the value of position flex--a great player who can do it all.

Myles Murphy isn't getting any run in Cincinnati, and I'm wondering how available he might become in the near future.  It feels an awful lot like one of Chase Young or Montez Sweat is going to walk in free agency this winter, I think we should be kicking the tires on Murphy.

Who’s doing the tire kicking?