Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Starting to see on the mocks that pretty much all of the OTs get snatched up before our pick. The good news is if that happens we probably have a shot at a first round DB, WR like Ladd Mc or a guy like JPJ or Graham Barton. 

Any thoughts on taking a guy who projects to LG and ultimately OC with a high second? Then taking a more developmental OT later? 

Y’all think Graham Barton can actually stick at LT? Arm length isn’t much off of Slater with Chargers.

Edited by seantaylor=god

26 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Now where would you stick some guys from OT to IOL if you were forced to do it. Like Barton, Morgan, Rosengarten, etc etc

Rosengarten at IOL6 ahead of McCormick.  Barton would be IOL2 behind Beebe for me.  Morgan would be IOL3 behind JPJ.

I think Morgan stays at OT though.  I also would be surprised if a team kicks Rosengarten inside given his speed.  Usually you want your fast guys who may not be as powerful on the outside.  Ultimately, these guys will have to play where the starting jobs for their next teams are, so you can't really tell where they will end up.  I would just expect there to be more OT job openings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Top heavy for LT not RT.   I'd trade up for Mims, Fashanu -- maybe Fautanu depending on price

https://x.com/JPFinlayNBCS/status/1783141141925253462

Screen Shot 2024-04-24 at 12.16.14 PM.png

I totally agree with these guys. And have been saying this for a good while now: after the top 6 OTs (Alt, Fashanu, Fuaga, Latham, Fautanu, Mims...choose your order), there's a really steep drop-off. Which is why I'd like them to be aggressive in trying to move up. 

At a valuable pick like 36 or 40, I think that instead of trying to talk yourself into a favorite out of the next tier of "developmental" guys, you're better off just waiting to pick from whatever is left in that heap later on. Take a better player at a different position if you're insistent on sticking at those picks.

The one wild card for me is Jordan Morgan. I like him better as a guard, but if you like him at OT, he's sort of a one-man tier all to himself in the late 1st-early 2nd area. Because he's not a developmental guy with traits but a lot of bummer tape like the rest of these dudes.

53 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Do you think he's there at 67?  I'd probably take him and redshirt him for at least half the season before taking him to be the LG of the future.  However, I could see someone like GB take him as they have two second rounders, so they can play the same game.  I like Zinter too.  

Yeah I think he'll be there at 67.  His injury kept him from building up his stock during draft season.  I think Beebe might still be there at 67 too, but my best guess is he goes in the 50s.

If we miss out on the Kingsley/Morgan/Barton shelf of OTs at 36, there will still be lots of BPA opportunities at IOL on day 2.  I like a draft where we trade down from 36 or 40 to get into the 50s, draft Beebe, then use a third on Zinter.  IMO that puts our best OL configuration at Wylie, Beebe, Biadasz, Zinter, Cosmi going from left to right.  And I think that line could be dominant.  Really good group to run the ball with and help our young QB out, much like Dallas did in the early days with Dak.

Corum is going to get picked in the third round IMO.  I think all of the RBs this year are getting discounted by at least a round compared to where they would normally go.  Corum's age and tiny size put his absolute draft ceiling in the second round, and he's much more likely to go in the third.  A Beebe/Corum/Zinter string of picks would make me happy, and still leave a pick to get someone like Bralen Trice in the third following the trade down for Beebe.

5 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I totally agree with these guys. And have been saying this for a good while now: after the top 6 OTs (Alt, Fashanu, Fuaga, Latham, Fautanu, Mims...choose your order), there's a really steep drop-off. Which is why I'd like them to be aggressive in trying to move up. 

At a valuable pick like 36 or 40, I think that instead of trying to talk yourself into a favorite out of the next tier of "developmental" guys, you're better off just waiting to pick from whatever is left in that heap later on. Take a better player at a different position if you're insistent on sticking at those picks.

The one wild card for me is Jordan Morgan. I like him better as a guard, but if you like him at OT, he's sort of a one-man tier all to himself in the late 1st-early 2nd area. Because he's not a developmental guy with traits but a lot of bummer tape like the rest of these dudes.

So what would it cost? Could we get up there with a 2nd, a 3rd and a 5th, or are we going to have to include both 2nd's? 

1 minute ago, The Consigliere said:

So what would it cost? Could we get up there with a 2nd, a 3rd and a 5th, or are we going to have to include both 2nd's? 

That's the tough question. I would hate having to move both 2nds -- especially because I'd love to do the same two-step that @Going Commando just referenced above, by moving back from 40 to the mid-50s to pick up additional capital. I think there will be tons of value at our (myriad) positions of need at that late-2nd stage.

If we could do something like 36/67/139 for, say, pick 19 to take Mims (or other preferred/available OT) -- and then go back from 40 for something like 57/89 from TB? To me, that's the best way to position ourselves on the board.

At that point, you upgrade from Paul/Suamataia to Fautanu/Mims, and your only pick deficit is a 5th. Yes, you'll have lost draft position in both the 2nd and the 3rd -- but I don't expect to like the board much better at 40 than I will in the late 50s.

Losing both 2nds might just be too steep unless you absolutely love one of the OTs. Which I don't, really. I really like 6 of them, though.

9 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Yeah I think he'll be there at 67.  His injury kept him from building up his stock during draft season.  I think Beebe might still be there at 67 too, but my best guess is he goes in the 50s.

If we miss out on the Kingsley/Morgan/Barton shelf of OTs at 36, there will still be lots of BPA opportunities at IOL on day 2.  I like a draft where we trade down from 36 or 40 to get into the 50s, draft Beebe, then use a third on Zinter.  IMO that puts our best OL configuration at Wylie, Beebe, Biadasz, Zinter, Cosmi going from left to right.  And I think that line could be dominant.  Really good group to run the ball with and help our young QB out, much like Dallas did in the early days with Dak.

Corum is going to get picked in the third round IMO.  I think all of the RBs this year are getting discounted by at least a round compared to where they would normally go.  Corum's age and tiny size put his absolute draft ceiling in the second round, and he's much more likely to go in the third.  A Beebe/Corum/Zinter string of picks would make me happy, and still leave a pick to get someone like Bralen Trice in the third following the trade down for Beebe.

I don't think Wylie can play LT IMO.  Plus, I'm not moving Cosmi back to RT where he struggled.  Just let Cosmi stay at RG and continue his ascension.  I'd probably target Zinter and pass on Beebe and use some of our day 2 picks on defense for guys like Ellis, etc.

My #1 target for 36 is Kingsley.  If he's not there, I'm looking to trade down and pick up our lost 4th or a 2025 pick to a team that wants LB1 or a falling WR.  I don't think any LBs will be taken before 36.  We'll have our option of trading down.  GB at 41 seems primed to trade up for a LB as they don't have anyone on their roster next to Quay.  

I'd accept 41+126 for 36.

37 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I don't think Wylie can play LT IMO.  Plus, I'm not moving Cosmi back to RT where he struggled.  Just let Cosmi stay at RG and continue his ascension.  I'd probably target Zinter and pass on Beebe and use some of our day 2 picks on defense for guys like Ellis, etc.

My #1 target for 36 is Kingsley.  If he's not there, I'm looking to trade down and pick up our lost 4th or a 2025 pick to a team that wants LB1 or a falling WR.  I don't think any LBs will be taken before 36.  We'll have our option of trading down.  GB at 41 seems primed to trade up for a LB as they don't have anyone on their roster next to Quay.  

I'd accept 41+126 for 36.

Cosmi was very good at RT his rookie year, then they started moving him back and forth and that is when he struggled.

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I'm revising my IOL rankings.  Went back and re-watched some cut ups and ended up moving a couple of players around.  Moved Frazier and Zinter and Beebe and Van Pran up.  I liked Frazier's film a lot more this time, and I'm seeing more of the optimistic takes about him better now.  Moved Zinter way up too.  One of the byproducts of watching Corum so much is that Zinter really shines.  He's a dominant run blocker and he's got a fantastic anchor.  I think he, Beebe, Van Pran, and JPJ constitute the four elite IOLs of the class, and all have second round value.

IOL:

1 - Cooper Beebe
2 - Jackson Powers Johnson
3 - Sedrick Van Pran
4 - Zak Zinter
5 - Christian Haynes
6 - Mason McCormick
7 - Beaux Limmer
8 - Zach Frazier
9 - Christian Mahogany
10 - Kingsley Eguakun

I love Zinter tape. I think there is a long line of athletes with leg fractures that never make it back.  I couldn’t take him before the 5th.

12 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

I love Zinter tape. I think there is a long line of athletes with leg fractures that never make it back.  I couldn’t take him before the 5th.

I'd trust my medical team to help make the call on his recovery, but it's definitely possible that he makes it back perfectly fine from his injury.  He's said there is a chance he'll be ready for rookie minicamps.  I'd expect him to be available by TC.

10 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I can’t see IOL being a priority after free agency. Seems obvious which positions we value in day 1 and 2 of the draft.

We didn’t spend big money on anyone. Also, the draft isn’t just for current needs it’s also for needs 2 years from now. 

• Like 1

Here's the last of my offensive position rankings.  QB and TE.

QB:

1 - Caleb Wilson
2 - Drake Maye
3 - Jayden Daniels
4 - Michael Penix
5 - JJ McCarthy
6 - Bo Nix
7 - Spencer Rattler
8 - Michael Pratt
9 - Joe Milton

TE:

1 - Brock Bowers
2 - Ben Sinnott
3 - Ja'Tavion Sanders
4 - Cade Stover

5 - Jared Wiley
6 - Jaheim Bell
7 - Erick All
8 - Tip Reiman
9 - Dallin Holker

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I can’t see IOL being a priority after free agency. Seems obvious which positions we value in day 1 and 2 of the draft.

We have five picks in rounds 2-3.  We can hit the obvious positions and still get a Guard as BPA.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Paul doesn't fall in the highlighted group at 36? What about at 40?  I am torn between Kingsley or Morgan at 36 if had to choose between them. 

I am not pleased with the idea of Wylie at RT. I am throwing up in my mouth just thinking of him at LT.

I have mentioned in the past, I am hoping there is still a blip on Zinters health eval and we could grab hi in the 5th

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Here's the last of my offensive position rankings.  QB and TE.

QB:

1 - Caleb Wilson
2 - Drake Maye
3 - Jayden Daniels
4 - Michael Penix
5 - JJ McCarthy
6 - Bo Nix
7 - Spencer Rattler
8 - Michael Pratt
9 - Joe Milton

TE:

1 - Brock Bowers
2 - Ben Sinnott
3 - Ja'Tavion Sanders
4 - Cade Stover

5 - Jared Wiley
6 - Jaheim Bell
7 - Erick All
8 - Tip Reiman
9 - Dallin Holker

Like the list. Pretty much where I am with 1 flip flop at each position. I’m a little higher on Reiman over Bell. Reiman reminds me of Nick Boyle.

At this point it seems certain that Alt, Fashanu, Fuaga, Latham, Fautanu, and Mims will be taken in the top 20. Then there's Guyton, Morgan, Suamatia, and Paul who are likely to go between picks 24 and 45. I'd package picks to move up for Mims, Fuaga, or Fashanu. Otherwise, I'm content to see if I can land one or two of the next tier with 36 and 40. If I strike-out, I'd wait until the 3rd round to target Fisher, Rosengarten, and/or Amegadjie. With the exception of Amegadjie (a true mystery), these likely third rounders may not have nearly as a high a ceiling as Guyton, Suamatia, or Paul, but they should be solid players.

30 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

At this point it seems certain that Alt, Fashanu, Fuaga, Latham, Fautanu, and Mims will be taken in the top 20. Then there's Guyton, Morgan, Suamatia, and Paul who are likely to go between picks 24 and 45. I'd package picks to move up for Mims, Fuaga, or Fashanu. Otherwise, I'm content to see if I can land one or two of the next tier with 36 and 40. If I strike-out, I'd wait until the 3rd round to target Fisher, Rosengarten, and/or Amegadjie. With the exception of Amegadjie (a true mystery), these likely third rounders may not have nearly as a high a ceiling as Guyton, Suamatia, or Paul, but they should be solid players.

We have to get one of the higher rated LT. That are weakest position. The Morgan or Paul group would be fine but has to be one of top nine guys.

Edited by Redskins 2021