Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

3 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I announced several weeks ago that I wanted to punt defense to 2025 draft. I assumed/predicted we'd go heavy defense in FA and focus on 1-year deals. Make us competitive, get some back-end talent in the draft. But use resources on offense early.

I was similar, initially. However, I think we are well set to get a quality CB on day 2. 

5 hours ago, DogofWar1 said:

That's a big jump for Rosengarten.  I like him too, but he was getting projected in the mid to late rounds just a short bit ago.  To go 31, whooof, that's a beeeeeeg jump.  I don't know if I'd endorse that.  Then again I think Kiper had Latham going #5 in one of his mocks over Alt, so he gets weird ideas sometimes.

• Haha 1

Max Melton really fun watch. Watched am interview and he comes off smart, too.

Sticky in coverage, mirrors well.  Has some ball skills, 3 picks last season. Just diving in the CBs but among the ones I watched, he's one i don't get why there isn't more hype reminds me in that regard of DJ Turner who ended up in the late 2nd last year.  Different player than Turner.  Much more physical not quite as fast. But to me underrated like him.

The kicker for me is how physical it is.  He goes beyond just tackling a dude when they are coming his way.  He will get in the mix even if they aren't coming his way.  They also send him on corner blitzes.  Violent player.  

Has the tools too, long arms.  Sub 4.4 speed. Tone setter type of player.  After watching him, I am higher on him than most.  To me he's a bonafide 2nd rounder.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

I'll be curious to see what CBs we do end up drafting in the middle rounds. Will Quinn favor the larger CBs like he did in SEA with the legion of boom? Remember, most of Seattle's stud CBs when he was there were bigger, middle-round picks. That's why I tend to think we'll go that route in the draft. Not saying we can get another Richard Sherman in the 5th round, but this FO has a history (both Quinn in SEA and Peters in SF) of nailing mid round CBs. 

Seattle Legion of Boom:

CB Richard Sherman: 6'3, 205 - 5th round, pick 154 in 2011

CB Brandon Browner: 6'4, 221 - UDFA in 2005, signed as FA by Seattle in 2011

CB Byron Maxwell: 6'1, 198 - 6th round, pick 173 in 2011

S Kam Chancellor: 6'3, 225 - 5th round, pick 133 in 2010 draft

S Earl Thomas: 5'10, 202 - 1st round, pick 14 in 2010 draft

San Francisco CBs over last few years:

CB Deonmmodore Lenoir: 5'10, 200 - 5th round, pick 172 in 2021 draft

CB Charvarius Ward: 6'1, 196 - UDFA in 2018

CB Emmanuel Mosely: 5'10, 196 - UDFA in 2018

CB Ambry Thomas: 6'0, 190 - Round 3, pick 102 in 2021

Quinn in Dallas:

CB DaRon Bland: 6'0 197 - 5th round, pick 167 in 2023

CB Trevon Diggs: 6'2, 195 - 2nd round, pick 51 in 2020

Quinn was not on staff when Diggs was drafted, but he saw obvious success under Quinn, so included him.

You can see why I would expect us to nail a couple CBs in the 4th-6th round to UDFA range. This FO/coaching staff has a history of success in that area in multiple stops. I know we need 1-2 CBs long-term. But given we just invested a 1st and 2nd in Forbes and Martin (Martin being the NB for us, so counting him), I would predict that we hit CBs in the middle-rounds/UDFA to add bodies and see what shakes loose this season at the position. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Max Melton really fun watch. Watched am interview and he comes off smart, too.

Sticky in coverage, mirrors well.  Has some ball skills, 3 picks last season. Just diving in the CBs but among the ones I watched, he's one i don't get why there isn't more hype reminds me in that regard of DJ Turner who ended up in the late 2nd last year.  Different player than Turner.  Much more physical not quite as fast. But to me underrated like him.

The kicker for me is how physical it is.  He goes beyond just tackling a dude when they are coming his way.  He will get in the mix even if they aren't coming his way.  They also send him on corner blitzes.  Violent player.  

Has the tools too, long arms.  Sub 4.4 speed. Tone setter type of player.  After watching him, I am higher on him than most.  To me he's a bonafide 2nd rounder.

I'm really high on Melton as well. Love me some Rutgers players. We haven't had one since Iaonnidias.Has a brother in the league, too.

I'm assuming his range is around the end of day two, early day three.  

• Like 1

Fun Facts:

Since 1960 the Washington Redskins have had the #2 overall selection 4 times: 

1961, Norm Snead QB

2000, Lavar Arrington LB

2012, Robert Griffin lll, QB

2020, Chase Young, DE

-2024 will mark the 4th time since 2000 the Washington franchise has had the #2 overall pick, Arrington had the longest career with the team (6 years).

• Sad 1

I know most of us want a QB at #2 buuuuuuut do you feel like there is absolutely nothing that would change your mind? Let's say someone offered us their 1st rounder this year anddddd their1st rounder in 2025, 2026, 2027, and 2028. Lol. You would basically have to accept the trade, wouldn't you??

6 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

I know most of us want a QB at #2 buuuuuuut do you feel like there is absolutely nothing that would change your mind? Let's say someone offered us their 1st rounder this year anddddd their1st rounder in 2025, 2026, 2027, and 2028. Lol. You would basically have to accept the trade, wouldn't you??

You can only trade 3 first6 round picks at a time.

Our next 3 1rst would be very high, because we traded that pick and I'm sure the new coaching staff could use the extra picks to grab a QB.

Or we don't trade it, get a QB and are good.

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

How high is Max Melton being mocked?

Seems typically mid 2nd to mid 3rd.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm really high on Melton as well. Love me some Rutgers players. We haven't had one since Iaonnidias.Has a brother in the league, too.

I'm assuming his range is around the end of day two, early day three.  

Tone setter which you don't often get in a CB.  Would fit the theme of Wagner, Luvu, Chinn

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

I know most of us want a QB at #2 buuuuuuut do you feel like there is absolutely nothing that would change your mind?

Peters will listen to trade offers and compare the trade value to his evaluation of the top 2 QBs available this year.  We don't know what he really thinks of these QBs.  The media talking heads need to fill time.  I saw one idea floated where the Vikings put all of their chips in for a top QB.  2 firsts this year plus a bunch of high picks next year.  It can be fun to speculate but really I want the offer and to identify the players that could be picked from the trade.  Right now I'm betting we take the QB at 2

Undisputed is frustrating me. Skip and Keyshawn both talk about Maye as if he should be drafted in the 7th round. Keyshawn keeps bringing up Maye being from UNC and wearing the same number as Trubisky. Who gives a flying crap??? That's irrelevant.

Edited by AlwaysBeRedskins2Me

28 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

The only trade I would accept to give up #2 is for a current star QB like Josh Allen, Justin Herbert, or Joe Burrow.

There is no reason to pass up taking Drake Maye at 2.  This is the best opportunity we are going to get with Adam Peters and Dan Quinn for having a star QB that let's us compete with the big dogs.  Getting a blue chip QB prospect in year one of a coach and GM tenure is the Holy Grail of team building, and to fumble this opportunity would be to commit a Ron Rivera level mistake that will eventually get everyone fired.

If you have no QB, you have nothing.  No build, no job security, no chance to compete.  All of the first round picks we can possibly receive in trade are not worth the chance we were gifted for drafting one of the best QB prospects of the decade.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm trying to figure out how the Vikings can get up to #2/#3 via another jump. When the initial trade into the back of R1 came out, many expected it was the first of two jumps to get up.

11+23 on the RH Trade Chart gets you to enough to get the #3. I just don't see that being enough.

If the ARZ is the initial target, 11+23 should be enough to get it done (overpaying by about 110 points, which seems standard for a trade of this type).

But to get from #4 to #2 ... just not seeing the Vikings having enough ammo to get our pick from there. Yes #4 is way more appealing than #11 in that you'd still get one of the four QBS assuming they're all suitable to this FO, but without a 2nd and a future 2nd, not sure what the Vikings could offer, outside of, say, Christian Darrisaw or Justin Jefferson.

#4 + #108 (their next pick in R4) + a 2025 1st is just not going to be enough, and that would leave the Vikings with #2 and no pick until #129, not to mention no 1st or 2nd in 2025. Hard to see them making that move with us, not that any of us were really expecting it. Just wanted to workshop it out.

** This is all presuming the Vikings really want Maye, and need to get to #2.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins