Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

All the teams at the top of the draft are going to need OTs. Our FO isn't going to pass over one of our biggest needs, at a critical position, like fans who do too many mock sims.

The OT run won't end in the top of the second round. Talking about dropping back from 40 to 50 to take Paul, who is borderline day one starter at LT, for a day three pick is reckless.

Last year was a good OL draft and the run stopped top of the third. Starters stopped being drafted mid second.

Get your guy, especially if he's BPA heavily weighted by need.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

1 minute ago, seantaylor=god said:

I also wouldn’t be surprised if we took two OTs and let them compete at OT and guard.

The way few agency has gone I expect them to take 3 tackles. Starting LT either trade up or at 36/40. Starting caliber RT by pick 100. Then a toolsy Left tackle prospect by the 5th round. 

I am starting to see the top 5 tackles taken by pick 20 in mock draft scenarios. That also includes Barton and JPJ being taken by pick 25. If we leave the draft with QB and LT of future it’s a successful draft. 

• Like 1

The consensus is that Wylie is still the penciled in starting right tackle for the time being but Cosmi actually played the position up until recently. They have enough in house interior lineman to potentially move him back to his original position and aggressively trade up to get a franchise LT in rd 1

46 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm sure we could package all of our day two picks and move up into the first twice if we really wanted to, but AP said that we'll build through the draft and you can't do that when you trade away picks.

6 picks in the top 100 is great, but 4 picks in the top 64 is also pretty good

I bet 36+100 and 40+78 could get us 3 in the top 32

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, MrJL said:

6 picks in the top 100 is great, but 4 picks in the top 64 is also pretty good

I bet 36+100 and 40+78 could get us 3 in the top 32

Would you take those trade downs and from what spot?

38 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Would you take those trade downs and from what spot?

well, let's see.  Philly once traded 32 and 152 for 52, a fourth and a second the next year

Houston just traded 23 and a seventh for 42, and sixth and a second next  year

So picks are usually considered worth a round  less when they're next year's picks, meaning a second and third did basically net a first.

I'm gonna say that 36 and 100 would get in the championship game area, 29-32, while 40 and 78 should lead to the upper 20s range.  Though you could probably exclude 23 from that.

I've got no guarantee anyone would be interested in those trades, but they're viable and it's possible we could do even better

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

I'm with you to an extent. I would not trade up for Fashanu either. The only non QB prospects I'd consider trading up for relative to cost in the 1st are Barton, Latham, Alt, Fuago, Brian Thomas Jr., AD Mitchell, Quinyon Mitchell, Chop Robinson, Dallas Turner, Byron Murphy, Bowers or Cooper DeJean

I'm not seeing it with AD Mitchell. He seems to be a pretty polarizing prospect where people think he's either worth all the hype or are just confused with how he's gotten so much hype.

But the rest of your list I also think are guys with likely better than expected Pro careers. I haven't looked at Byron Murphy though, and I'm waffling on Bowers as TE's are unusually hard to project.

Edited by Always A Commander Never A Captain
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I'm not seeing it with AD Mitchell. He seems to be a pretty polarizing prospect where people think he's either worth all the hype or are just confused with how he's gotten so much hype.

But the rest of your list I also think are guys with likely better than expected Pro careers. I haven't looked at Byron Murphy though, and I'm waffling on Bowers as TE's are unusually hard to project.

It's funny how we all see some prospects differently :) 

I've been on AD since the beginning. I think he has elite level traits. 

18 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Yeah me too as to Mitchell.    He's fast.  But he's not physical, as to contested catches, YAC.   Good hands.  Though 4.33 speed gives him potential.   Feels boom-bust.  If I am going boom-bust. I might roll the dice on K. Coleman because I like his size and he's a menace on the 2nd level and if they take Maye he's tailored made.  I like Legette better and he has 20 pounds on Mitchell and is the more physical player.

I am still though on:  McConkey-Pearsall and Wilson as high floor WRs - slot types.  

Screen Shot 2024-03-17 at 3.00.41 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 2

I've not looked at prospects in months - need to become re-acclimated for the ES GM Mock coming up, but it was a a blow in the WR class to have Tre Harris and Tory Horton go back to school. However, these guys look promising to me:

Tyrone Howell UL Monroe

David White Jr. Western Carolina

Ryan Flournoy SE Missouri State

Jalen Coker Holy Cross

Hayden Hatten Idaho

Devaughn Vele Utah

Jeshaun Jones Maryland

Tejuan Palmer UAB

23 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I think we’ll be looking at Paul, but #36 seems way early for me.

Depends on when the run happens at LT.    Mocks over the years have often underestimated how high LT types go.  

Kiran, Kinglsey, P. Paul are arguably the 4 guys who can play LT and will likely be there in the 2nd round.

Am guessing Guyton goes in the first who is also IMO a project.

Fisher, Rosengarten, C. Jones seemed to considered RTs.  Feels right for me on Rosengarten and Jones, haven't watched Fisher yet.  Fisher does have LT type length.

Am guessing they either move both 2nd rounders to get into the 13-18 range and target Fashnu or Mims (more on him in a sec from me) or mid 20s for Morgan or Barton -- 2nd and high third?  I got to watch Fautanu.

I don't think I'd wait for the 2nd round, I'd get someone in the first.  But if I did am not banking on the three project type LTs falling to the third because all three have special tools-high upside.  Boom-bust types granted.  I think Paul has the highest floor of the three.  

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Receivers for me are Polk and Corley. 

I’d still be looking at vet trade options too.

Polk was my guy in the 2nd after McConkey for a long time.  But his 4.53 makes me pause some considering I like him as a deep threat.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah me too as to Mitchell.    He's fast.  But he's not physical, as to contested catches, YAC.   Good hands.  Though 4.33 speed gives him potential.   Feels boom-bust.  If I am going boom-bust. I might roll the dice on K. Coleman because I like his size and he's a menace on the 2nd level and if they take Maye he's tailored made.  I like Legette better and he has 20 pounds on Mitchell and is the more physical player.

I am still though on:  McConkey-Pearsall and Wilson as high floor WRs - slot types.  

Screen Shot 2024-03-17 at 3.00.41 PM.png

Does anybody know anything about Johnny Wilson?

A 4.52 forty at 6'6" 231 lbs is damn impressive.

If he can block he might even be able to lineup as a TE.

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Depends on when the run happens at LT.    Mocks over the years have often underestimated how high LT types go.  

Kiran, Kinglsey, P. Paul are arguably the 4 guys who can play LT and will likely be there in the 2nd round.

Am guessing Guyton goes in the first who is also IMO a project.

Fisher, Rosengarten, C. Jones seemed to considered RTs.  Feels right for me on Rosengarten and Jones, haven't watched Fisher yet.  Fisher does have LT type length.

Am guessing they either move both 2nd rounders to get into the 13-18 range and target Fashnu or Mims (more on him in a sec from me) or mid 20s for Morgan or Barton -- 2nd and high third?  I got to watch Fautanu.

I don't think I'd wait for the 2nd round, I'd get someone in the first.  But if I did am not banking on the three project type LTs falling to the third because all three have special tools-high upside.  Boom-bust types granted.  I think Paul has the highest floor of the three.  

Polk was my guy in the 2nd after McConkey for a long time.  But his 4.53 makes me pause some considering I like him as a deep threat.

I could see an aggressive move back into the mid first round as well, working on the basis we’ve gone QB at #2. 

As for Polk, that time may drop him into the 3rd round range. I’ve only seen his highlights to be fair, but he looks a baller. Reckon he could develop into a very competitive receiver.

10 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Pretty sure @MartinCwas early on this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

He’s one of my sleepers. Not sure he’s a sleeper anymore though.

He spent his first two years at ASU were he was hardly used at all in a total mess of an ASU program (he overlapped with Daniel’s when he was ASU).  Transferred to FSU and showed strong production and tape - went for 20 yards a catch his junior year! He’s raw with only two years of real experience. 

Obviously his size stands out - he’s a huge target. He can be a bit slow off the line just because of his length but once he gets into his stride he can run by DBs. But he’s probably at his best in the middle of the field, crossing routes, digs, skinny posts. He boxes DBs out and has a nice feel for space. Might struggle to separate in the NFL out of breaks because of his slow footwork - so again crossers and vertical routes are were he probably lives.

I’m not sure where he is going to go, maybe someone we could look at with one of our 3rd round picks? He could develop into a solid good #3 or maybe a hybrid big slot H-back type. He’s a player you could develop a specific package of plays for early, especially in the red zone.

• Thanks 2

Finally got to Amarius Mims.  3 games so far.  Downside it pushed me to watch even more McConkey.  So my 4 month and going draft man crush remains strong as to McConkey, I'd go as far as saying he's the guy i want with the first 2nd round pick if he falls.

As for Mims, IMO he lives up to his hype as to having freakish potential.  Different players to some extent but feels a bit like I did when watching Dawand Jones for the first time.  For a big giant guy the dude moves like someone 30 pounds lighter.  Like Dawand he has freakish length, 36 plus arms, hands over 11 inches.

His technique can look a bit clunky-sloppy as for footwork and his hands.  But like Patrick Paul he knows how to use his length.  He's tough to get around.  And he knows how to use his length to both block recover well.  Mirrors well. Balance is good for a big dude like that.  Anchors well.  His bend-sinking his hips is very good for someone his size.  

He IMO needs to learn how to use his hands better to redirect.  And needs to use his size better as to moving people off the ball.   In the run game, he gets in front of the defender and seems to follow his assignments well but isn't much of a people mover.  He doesn't come off with a mean streak like Graham Barton. He needs to sustain his blocks better in both pass protect and as a run blocker. 

I mentioned watching Lathan and feeling he belongs on the right side.  Mims looks to me like a dude who can play LT.   More fluid and smooth IMO than Latham in pass protect.  In an interview of his that I watched, he mentioned that he get a lot of practice reps at LT and he feels like he can play it.

Very intrigued.  Also supposed to have high intangibles.  I watched a couple of his interviews.  Well spoken and smart.  And unlike Dawand, Mms doesn't come off to me pudgy, judging by how he looked in his interviews.  Looks mostly muscle.  He talked at length about his diet.  Comes off a thoughtful guy.  Maybe too nice?  Wondered about that because like I said I don't see much of a mean streak on tape.

But I felt better about the injuries listening to him.  Sounds like mainly it was an ankle injury that made him miss half the season.  He played the season before 14 games.  Before that he was a sport starter on the bench.  I haven't dived deep into his injury history but listening to him talk about it -- it doesn't come off as a red flag that I once thought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If we packaged #36 plus our other 2nd or 3rd to move up for OT, I’m then looking for a trade back at some stage too - Maybe Peters will call the 49ers, who are deep in picks through round 4 in particular….

Below are the picks the 49ers will have in the upcoming draft:

Round 1, No. 31

Round 2, No. 63

Round 3, No. 94

Round 4, No. 123 (via Dallas Cowboys)

Round 4, No. 130

Round 4, No. 133 (compensatory)

Round 5, No. 176 (compensatory)

Round 6, No. 211 (compensatory)

Round 6, No. 215 (compensatory)

Round 7, No. 251

Just now, Est.1974 said:

If we packaged #36 plus our other 2nd or 3rd to move up for OT, I’m then looking for a trade back at some stage too - Maybe Peters will call the 49ers, who are deep in picks through round 4 in particular….

Below are the picks the 49ers will have in the upcoming draft:

Round 1, No. 31

Round 2, No. 63

Round 3, No. 94

Round 4, No. 123 (via Dallas Cowboys)

Round 4, No. 130

Round 4, No. 133 (compensatory)

Round 5, No. 176 (compensatory)

Round 6, No. 211 (compensatory)

Round 6, No. 215 (compensatory)

Round 7, No. 251

Could be because the 49ers seem to like to trade up often

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Could be because the 49ers seem to like to trade up often

In theory they don’t need 10 picks.

I’ve also seen a speculative report the Jags could offer them #17 for Aiyuk…….now #36 and #40 gets you to #17 too……

• Like 1