Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

On 3/3/2024 at 10:42 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

To each their own.  But to me (and I gather most fans judging by fan polls on twitter-talk radio) it feels like another ride on the merry go round of the last 30 years.  

giphy.gif

The problem for me is we've seen 6 years of Baker. We know more or less what he is. His ceiling is that of a slightly above average QB. 

We are in position to land a franchise QB in one of the best top of classes ever in terms of 1-2-3 elite QB's. That doesn't happen very often, particularly with guys this well thought of, and considering the high end talent available at WR, TE, OL etc and it just doesn't matter, it's QB 1-2-3, maybe 4. Baker has 3 averagish seasons, 2 horrible seasons, and in '22, a season that was pretty bad as well but split between two teams.

It's a no brainer today. We should celebrate that we have 5 picks between slot 36 and 102ish, not grit our teeth that we aren't trading down. We could trade down if we'd found a QB in any of a litany of strong to solid QB drafts from '17-'23, but we never did, we drafted a bust and a question mark at best with a limited ceiling in that seven year stretch. We should be celebrating the fact that we tanked perfectly and had litteraly everything that could go our way, go our way from Halloween to the end of the season. Now we can get our QB. People are overthinking this. It's really, really simple. Pull the trigger on the best QB prospect and thank the heavens we don't have to do some miracle trade up that probably can't even work like NYG and Oakland etc. 

• Like 3

Friendly reminder, as we close in on a month to the draft, before posting anything, make sure it’s the actual reporter and not some schmuck trying to be funny.

Twitter during draft season…

image.gif.bd472dc2ba79f7793938b0f7afdb755a.gif

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Signing someone like Mayfield or Cousins or Wilson is pure Dan Snyder shortcut try to win now moves. They will not be happening in the Peters regime. 

We're building this for the long haul, not trying to win in a 2-3 year window.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

It's also worth noting the target separation #'s for both McLaurin and Doston in '23 were so bad it made me wonder if both were carrying injuries, especially McLaurin who we know is a special athlete considering his combine #'s. Dotson ran a 4.43 which is an average speed score considering his size, but still is good as things go, and in the explosion drills he did he was also average. 59th in the league in target separation though is pretty horrid, and thats where he was at in '23. Why? McLaurin was a 90th/85th percentile and above athlete at the combine five years ago, he can't suddenly have become dog---- in 5 years. I get that he was an overage prospect when he came out, and his prime is just about done, but 70th in target separation last year is so bad its comical for an athlete with his profile.

I think at least some of the issue was scheme and play calling. Route spacing was horrible, we frequently had receivers ending up in the same areas and some of the calls against the coverages and pressures we were seeing were baffling. Lack of adjustment as well. We will see, but to your point about better coaching part of that to me is are we putting the receivers in positions and calls to succeed against the coverages we are getting.

3 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

I'd like to think that we have something at WR even though it didn't look like it last year. I'm curious what they will prioritize? Speed because McLaurin is getting older and a cut candidate in '25 or '26? Size/contested catch with athleticism skills? Big slot? What do they want? 

We lack size. Obvious need is for a bigger X type. But there are lots of ways to skin a cat and I would not prioritize size over ability to separate and catch the damn ball ... 

• Thumb up 1

The scheme sucked. Turner had no issues getting McLaurin or Dotson open. With that said, McLaurin did suffer an injury in preseason, turf toe IIRC, which tends to sap away footspeed. 

I still like em as a duo but we need to add to it. WR should be a prime spot in the 2nd round.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I think 2020 and 2021 were better.  The problem with this OL class is most of the really fast OLs are no names late day 3 and UDFAs like Jacob Monk, Tylan Grable, Tanor Bortolini, and Frank Crum.  The only ones with great speed and pedigree are Morgan, Fautanu, and Alt, and the latter two are going to get picked in the first round.  It speaks to the broader issue with the class: that there aren't elite players in it, and the ones who are really good in pass pro are bad run blockers and vice versa.

The best two NFL OL prospects in CFB are the LTs from Texas and LSU, who are rising true juniors.  I think next year could end up being a better OL class than this one, and I definitely wouldn't trade Jon Allen just to get the chance to take ~OL 10 in this year's class.

Sorry I should clarify by depth. The high end talent is not a Trent Williams type player. I think you will have 20 starting offensive lineman within the first 2 years. There will be many day 3 players who are 5th and 6th year seniors that can start right away. For instance Trevor Keegan can play left guard for us this year. Same with Brandon Coleman and the list goes on.

I know the need for a QB is high in DC, but dang , I’d love them to take Harrison in this draft.   I think he’s going to be a stud.  This team is not going to build a winner in one offseason.  I think Harrison could be a huge factor in making this team great for years to come .  I Just don’t think it’s wise to pass up on this guy. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

The only scenario I would be OK with a veteran quarterback is if the football people assess that there is no way to fix the offensive line this year and that whoever is behind center is going to violently and repeatedly get his brains bashed in every Sunday. In that case, I want them to sign Russell Wilson. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, DiscoBob said:

The thing I've heard a few times is that his vision kinda sucks... misses the obvious holes too often.

I'm not a scout, so who knows...🤷

Thanks DB. I did see some references to his lack of vision as a knock but that it had improved the last couple seasons. 

The headliner is Michigan’s Mike Sainristil. A two-way player in college who initially landed at Michigan as a receiver, Sainristil switched to defense only in 2022 after the departure of Dax Hill, a first-rounder in that year’s draft selected by the Bengals. At 5-foot-9 and 182 pounds, Sainristil is pretty much limited to the slot on an NFL defense—but he’s quick as a wink, super explosive, and has the ball skills expected of an ex–wide receiver. Only one player ran a quicker short shuttle than Sainristil (4.01 seconds), and he looked smooth as butter in the gauntlet drill.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/3/4/24089897/nfl-combine-takeaways-marvin-harrison-jr-jj-mccarthy

• Thanks 1

Reid's new mock

_end_rule.png

ROUND 1

chi.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

1. Chicago Bears (via CAR)

Caleb Williams, QB, USC

Breaking his silence for the first time since January, Williams made it clear at the combine that he'd be "excited" about playing in Chicago. People I spoke with in Indianapolis last week were still under the impression that the Bears will ultimately trade quarterback Justin Fields, which would of course pave the way for Williams to end up in Chicago. And the talented signal-caller has all of the qualities that it takes to quickly become an NFL star. His combination of arm talent, improvisation skills and accuracy would make him a strong fit for new offensive coordinator Shane Waldron's offense.

wsh.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

2. Washington Commanders

Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina

It's widely known that Washington will select a QB if it stays put at No. 2, but which one? I elected to go with Maye, as his prior experience in an Air Raid-style offense, his 6-foot-4, 223-pound size and ability to drive the ball downfield gives him the edge over LSU's Jayden Daniels. The learning curve might not be as steep for him in Kliff Kingsbury's offense, and there is a lot of upside here with him throwing to receivers Terry McLaurin and Jahan Dotson.

play

1:49
Drake Maye ready to show teams who he is

Drake Maye talks to Laura Rutledge about meeting with teams and the advice he got from Philip Rivers.

ne.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

3. New England Patriots

Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU

I'm still not convinced that the Patriots will ultimately take a quarterback at this spot -- even though they should. They lack playmakers all over the roster, and both starting offensive tackles are scheduled to become free agents (Mike Onwenu and Trent Brown). They need more than just a starting quarterback, but with around $100 million in cap space, New England can fill holes in free agency and draft Daniels -- an exceptional vertical passer with good touch on his throws -- to build around him. The Heisman Trophy winner also has mobility traits to help mask some of the team's deficiencies.

ari.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

4. Arizona Cardinals

Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State

Harrison is a perfect match for Cards quarterback Kyler Murray, who isn't shy about giving his receivers chances down the field. The top-ranked player on my board, Harrison is the prototype of a true WR1. He's 6-3 and 209 pounds, but he has the traits of a smaller wideout, and his tape shows a wide catch radius and diverse route tree. He could help turn around this Arizona offense that could lose Marquise Brown to free agency next week.

lac.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=truechi.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Projected trade: Bears move up to land second top-five pick

The Bears already landed a franchise quarterback at No. 1 overall, but I have them moving up to get Williams some help on offense. I think Chicago could probably move from No. 9 to No. 5 for a pair of third-rounders (one this year and one next year), and considering it might recoup a third- or fourth-round pick for Fields and already has two second-round picks in 2025, this makes sense. There was a lot of chatter at the combine about the Chargers' interest in trading back, and while they could have their choice of the non-Harrison receivers and all of the offensive tackles, they could pick up extra picks and still land an impact offensive player at No. 9.

chi.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

5. Chicago Bears (via mock trade with LAC)

Malik Nabers, WR, LSU

It's an aggressive move for the Bears, as general manager Ryan Poles is looking to improve the supporting cast on offense. The Bears acquired DJ Moore last spring, and Nabers -- who had 1,569 receiving yards last season -- has similar traits and would pair nicely. He's super explosive. The trio of Moore, Nabers and tight end Cole Kmet could really help Williams succeed right out of the gate.

nyg.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

6. New York Giants

Rome Odunze, WR, Washington

The Giants' receiver group has a bunch of complementary options but lacks a WR1; only Darius Slayton cleared 600 yards last season. Odunze could quickly change that, as he has shown signs of dominant play on the outside. He is sure-handed and can beat coverage in multiple ways. His aggressive "my ball" mentality helped him tie for the most contested catches (24) in the FBS last season, routinely hauling in passes in tight coverage.

ten.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

7. Tennessee Titans

Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame

Over the past two seasons, the Titans' left tackle spot has been a revolving door, and the team took 64 sacks last season (tied for fourth-most). The 6-9, 321-pound Alt could solve the problem. He's equally as good as a run blocker as he is in pass protection, with great power and above-average movement skills. Alt keeps getting better, too, as he only has three full seasons at the position after converting from tight end. Teaming him up with guard Peter Skoronski would give the Titans a formidable left side of the offensive line.

atl.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

8. Atlanta Falcons

Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama

Atlanta has leaned heavily on offense in the first round over the past few years, but I think GM Terry Fontenot will go defense this time around. With the way this board fell, he can get the best prospect in the class on that side of the ball. At 6-3 and 247 pounds, Turner is a long and explosive pass-rusher who has continued to improve every season. Atlanta was last in pass rush win rate last season (30.9%), but Turner can help; he posted 10 sacks and got pressure 16.7% of the time in 2023 (both top 10 in the FBS).

lac.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

9. Los Angeles Chargers (via mock trade with CHI)

Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia

After trading back with the Bears in this scenario to gain more draft capital, the Chargers remain in the top 10 and have a chance to land a versatile offensive playmaker in Bowers. This roster needs a influx of young talent on offense, with receivers Keenan Allen and Mike Williams struggling to stay on the field and tight end Gerald Everett and running back Austin Ekeler both hitting free agency. Bowers would give Justin Herbert a top-tier receiving option. He's a mismatch all over the field with great run-after-catch ability, and he could be a real focal point of the L.A. offense going forward.

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

10. New York Jets

Olumuyiwa Fashanu, OT, Penn State

The Jets would be jumping for joy if Fashanu fell into their lap. With arguably the most upside of any blocker in the class, Fashanu is a polished pass protector who has made strides as a run blocker over 21 career starts. Quarterback Aaron Rodgers will be 41 years old next season and coming off a torn Achilles, so finding reliable protection for him is an offseason necessity. And Fashanu has the makings of a franchise left tackle.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39637717/2024-nfl-mock-draft-predictions-two-rounds-64-picks-jordan-reid-combine

_end_rule.png

ROUND 2

car.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

33. Carolina Panthers

Keon Coleman, WR, Florida State

The Panthers have to improve Bryce Young's supporting cast, and landing Coleman to kick off Round 2 would give them a big-bodied pass-catcher outside. Coleman's 4.61-second run in the 40-yard dash was underwhelming, but he plays much faster than that and caught 11 touchdowns last season.

ne.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

34. New England Patriots

Jordan Morgan, OT, Arizona

I mentioned the offensive tackle situation in New England, and if you're going to draft a franchise quarterback with a top-three pick (Daniels), you better protect him. Morgan could provide stability at tackle or guard.

ari.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

35. Arizona Cardinals

Kingsley Suamataia, OT, BYU

Offensive tackle D.J. Humphries suffered an ACL tear in January, so why not add to the OL here early on Day 2. Paris Johnson Jr. could transition to the left side after playing on at right tackle as a rookie, but the 6-5, 326-pound Suamataia has experience on both sides and could give coach Jonathan Gannon options.

36. Washington Commanders

Graham Barton, C/G, Duke

The Commanders -- who allowed 65 sacks in 2023, tied for the second-most in the NFL -- could need as many as three new starters along the offensive line. Barton is a plug-and-play option along the interior and even has experience at tackle.

lac.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

37. Los Angeles Chargers

Kamari Lassiter, CB, Georgia

Lassiter displays good coverage skills, physicality and some of the best tackling among this class' cornerbacks. With Michael Davis hitting free agency and one of the tighter cap situations league-wide, the Chargers likely have to address the secondary at the draft.

ten.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

38. Tennessee Titans

Ladd McConkey, WR, Georgia

GM Ran Carthon has to focus on finding more targets for Will Levis on the perimeter, and McConkey is an outstanding route runner who simply knows how to generate separation and get open.

nyg.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

39. New York Giants

Bo Nix, QB, Oregon

In this scenario, the Giants missed out on the QBs at the top of the draft, but why not take a chance on a Day 2 option to get some competition for Daniel Jones (who is coming off a torn ACL)? The accuracy and decisiveness of Nix pairs well with offensive coordinator Mike Kafka's scheme. Nix threw 45 TD passes and three interceptions in 2023 while completing 77.4% of his passes.

40. Washington Commanders (via CHI)

Adisa Isaac, EDGE, Penn State

Losing both Montez Sweat and Chase Young at the trade deadline last October left the Commanders with mostly rotational and depth players off the edge. Isaac has the potential to be a dependable starter. He is explosive and has good bend around the corner.

Get your favorite live sports, stories and originals with ESPN+, Disney+ and Hulu. Upgrade to a Disney Bundle plan and start streaming something for everyone today!

gb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

41. Green Bay Packers (via NYJ)

Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas A&M

I love the idea of putting Cooper alongside Quay Walker in the middle of the Packers' defense. Cooper brings value as an active second-level defender; he would boost the run defense, coverage and blitz after totaling 80 tackles, 14 tackles for loss, 8 sacks and 3 pass breakups in 2023.

min.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

42. Minnesota Vikings

Kris Jenkins, DT, Michigan

Kwesi Adofo-Mensah has leaned on explosiveness in defensive prospects since taking over as Minnesota's GM. Jenkins has those traits -- he posted a 30-inch vertical at 299 pounds -- and the Vikings' defensive line could be headed for some turnover.

atl.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

43. Atlanta Falcons

Xavier Legette, WR, South Carolina

Washington's Michael Penix Jr. could make a lot of sense here, but I still think the Falcons will take the veteran route to find a QB. Despite already having high-end playmakers all over the offense, Atlanta could land another explosive pass-catcher in Legette for whoever ends up under center. He had a great combine, and I see an NFL-ready frame (6-1, 221 pounds) and strong hands on tape.

lv.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

44. Las Vegas Raiders

Michael Penix Jr., QB, Washington

Penix is one of the biggest wildcards in this draft. He's a strong-armed passer who shows consistent accuracy when he's stationary in the pocket. But when he gets forced off his spots, things become erratic. The Raiders have to fix the quarterback situation, and bringing in someone like Penix to pair with Aidan O'Connell and perhaps a veteran makes sense at this point in the draft.

no.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

45. New Orleans Saints (via DEN)

Chris Braswell, EDGE, Alabama

Let's get New Orleans some edge rush depth. Braswell would be the third guy behind Cameron Jordan and Carl Granderson, playing a significant amount of snaps early in his career. He's a versatile and urgent defender who had eight sacks in 2023.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, MartinC said:

^^^^ I would take that as our first two picks right now - but be slightly disappointed we just missed out on Morgan.

Yes, I would have been much happier with Morgan.

With Barton you get a ton of talent and versatility (Ron would love him). So where do start him, C, or G...is he an NFL T or can he be? 

14 minutes ago, MartinC said:

^^^^ I would take that as our first two picks right now - but be slightly disappointed we just missed out on Morgan.

I like Barton, I'd go McConkey, Legette, Pearsall before Isaac.  But i don't dislike Issac, he plays bigger than his size including being a good run stuffer.  I'd go Braswell, Ellis over Isaac as to pass rushers. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

I would not force edge. We should be able to fill one in free agency and Henry wasn’t awful. Braswell is the only one that I would consider early second unless Chop drops. There is way too much offensive line and WR talent that will be there. 

30 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Yes, I would have been much happier with Morgan.

With Barton you get a ton of talent and versatility (Ron would love him). So where do start him, C, or G...is he an NFL T or can he be? 

I’d see him as a G.

15 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I’d see him as a G.

Yeah I figured more interior.  Currently I can't get past the hope at both T spots and it feels like one needs to come from the draft.  That FA OT field is so limited. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Yeah I figured more interior.  Currently I can't get past the hope at both T spots and it feels like one needs to come from the draft.  That FA OT field is so limited. 

We almost have to add a free agent OT as one starter. Onwenu from NE is an option but his weight is a concern. With the pickings being thin at OT in free agency average players are going to get overpaid. Obviously though no guarantee there is an OT left top of the 2nd that is worth the pick or could start from day 1.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Yeah me too, but I like Barton almost as much.  Not sure he can stay at tackle, whereas I think Morgan can.  There is at least a 50-50 chance that both can IMO.

If Morgan moves inside to guard, his 10 yard split is close to elite for an OL.  His first step and range would be very high end at guard, and we could have another Sam Cosmi type situation of highly athletic tackle eventually becoming an elite guard once he adds the strength necessary for the switch.

Barton snapped as a freshman I think.  He's almost too good to move to C, but if he did, I think he'd quickly be one of the best starting Cs in the league.  The five position versatility with him is pretty tantalizing.  He also doesn't have an ACL injury in his history like Morgan does.  Although it's pretty impressive that Morgan came back from an ACL injury at the end of the '22 so fast, and it's a point in his favor that he was actually better this year than he was pre-injury, the history is still something to consider.

It's a relevant debate because I think both might be on the board when we pick at 36, and we might be making this specific choice for BPA.

• Like 3