Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

15 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Then we are screwed, but have to move on to BPA.

Our tackle deficiency was years in the making, and a quick and graceful fix is unlikely.  We're going to have a flawed LT starting for us, who is going to produce some troubling losses.  And it might be that we can't get an acceptable long term option starting at the position until next year's draft.

Man it sure would be nice to get our Dion Dawkins in the same draft we get our Josh Allen.  Hopefully Morgan is there at 36.  I think there is a decent chance he will be due to his length and injury concerns, but as an authentic BPA candidate in the early 30s, we're going to have to sweat it out with him when the other OL needy teams are on the clock just in front of us.

And there is always the trade down option.  If Morgan and Barton are gone at 36, trading down feels like a good play for us.  We could get into a much more natural range for guys like Paul.

I also like some of the day three options at tackle like Dominick Puni well enough to stay committed to BPA and utilizing trade downs to max out our draft value.  The depth at OL is the best feature of this year's group.  We don't have to force OL picks on day two when we can get a Beaux Limmer and Dominick Puni on day three and have them be the best OL prospects on our team.

Yeah I watched Dominick Puni recently and posted on him I suspect he's a better guard but I like him.

Am good with trading down in the 2nd and picking up a third or two.  Lets take WR for example whether its McConkey, Legette, Pearsall one of them is likely there in the late 2nd. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Day three is going to be loaded with future starting OL, so I'm definitely good with trading off of one of our early seconds for another 3&4/5.

There is going to be some defensive guys in that early 2nd range though, that are going to be hard to pass on. Nubin and Kitchens, Cooper, Gray, Wilson and a bunch of DL/Edge guys.

9 hours ago, Jumbo said:

Peter Schrager thinks it's not only a very deep draft talent wise overall, but also a maybe historic level of OL talent....thinks there's over twenty instant starting high performance guys. Deepest he's ever seen and maybe the best ever.

I think it's deep, but lacks high end players.  Even the top end guys are pretty flawed and many lack scheme versatility.  No Andrew Thomas/Joe Thomas/Penei Sewell type of totally dominant and clean prospect.  And the one guy who has that kind of talent is Amarius Mims, who can't stop getting hurt.

Some teams are going to hit the lottery though.  There are so many high upside flyers in the class, that there is going to be like an OL7 who ends up being an All Pro.

Also you don't necessarily need All Pro talent to field a dominant OL.  It's not like skill positions or key defensive positions like Edge and Corner.  It's a greater than the sum of its parts position group, where five competent players beat one or two studs surrounded by trash.  Getting that steady starter to hold down center or left guard in the third or fourth round is as valuable as nailing that OT pick in the first.  Having a deep class rather than a class with high end excellence better suits our needs and our budget in picks.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Day three is going to be loaded with future starting OL, so I'm definitely good with trading off of one of our early seconds for another 3&4/5.

There is going to be some defensive guys in that early 2nd range though, that are going to be hard to pass on. Nubin and Kitchens, Cooper, Gray, Wilson and a bunch of DL/Edge guys.

Yeah early 3rd seems to be a great range for a WR faller, edge, O line -- and might be the start of the RB run. Maybe CB but I got a lot more to watch on that front.

I am a bit behind as to watching players this time but I'll catch up.  But off the top of my head among the ones i watched who I think have a shot to be there

Ellis, Benson, Lloyd, Paul. Legette, Puni, Braswell, Frazier, Nubin, Sanders, Corley, Beebe, Haynes

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

For me that guy is Darius Robinson.  His terrible combine has put him in play at 36 to me, whereas I had him in the first before.  If he's there at 36, then I don't think I would take the chance of him falling to 40.  When you get line talent that is just physically superior at your picks in the second, I feel like you should not overthink it and just draft them.  It's like getting free extra first round picks.

I find it much easier to pass on back seven talent and trade down.  You can find dudes at those other positions every year.  Wilson is my favorite of that fringe first back seven group, but I'd pass on him.  I liked his value way better when he was getting mocked in the third, pre-combine.  I can't tolerate the risk he poses in the early second.

9 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I think it's deep, but lacks high end players.  Even the top end guys are pretty flawed and many lack scheme versatility.  No Andrew Thomas/Joe Thomas/Penei Sewell type of totally dominant and clean prospect.  And the one guy who has that kind of talent is Amarius Mims, who can't stop getting hurt.

Some teams are going to hit the lottery though.  There are so many high upside flyers in the class, that there is going to be like an OL7 who ends up being an All Pro.

Also you don't necessarily need All Pro talent to field a dominant OL.  It's not like skill positions or key defensive positions like Edge and Corner.  It's a greater than the sum of its parts position group, where five competent players beat one or two studs surrounded by trash.  Getting that steady starter to hold down center or left guard in the third or fourth round is as valuable as nailing that OT pick in the first.  Having a deep class rather than a class with high end excellence better suits our needs and our budget in picks.

Fully agreed with everything. We can and should add more picks in Day 2 and 3.

We need depth, we need a pipeline to develop positions because 2024 Free Agency is looking to just be a stopgap. A deep draft happens to be perfect for us.

3 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

For me that guy is Darius Robinson.  His terrible combine has put him in play at 36 to me, whereas I had him in the first before.  If he's there at 36, then I don't think I would take the chance of him falling to 40.  When you get line talent that is just physically superior at your picks in the second, I feel like you should not overthink it and just draft them.  It's like getting free extra first round picks.

I find it much easier to pass on back seven talent and trade down.  You can find dudes at those other positions every year.  Wilson is my favorite of that fringe first back seven group, but I'd pass on him.  I liked his value way better when he was getting mocked in the third, pre-combine.  I can't tolerate the risk he poses in the early second.

I liked Keion White last year a little more than Robinson now, but I liked that type of oversized DEs with athleticism, I wonder if he can lose 10 pounds and add some speed. 

You put him at L-DE and good luck running against this front, playing right next to Payne.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I agree about Wilson with that injury history. Cooper I think has a really  big chance to be a Parsons, Reddick type of player though and I love Gray as a pure off ball middle type LBer

Nubin, Kithens and Lassiter would be really tempting, as well. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I agree about Wilson with that injury history. Cooper I think has a really  big chance to be a Parsons, Reddick type of player though and I love Gray as a pure off ball middle type LBer

Nubin, Kithens and Lassiter would be really tempting, as well. 

Cooper is intriguing in that he can serve in that Parsons type of role, where he roves some.  Played some edge.

As some recall I liked Jamin Davis before that draft.  But again as a 2nd round type not a first rounder.  And I said then, i liked watching him rush the passer even though Kentucky didn't have him do it much.  And I recall an interview at the time that said they considered having Davis play edge at the start of his college career

Screen Shot 2024-03-04 at 3.24.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-04 at 3.24.46 PM.png

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I agree 100% with this. We had All Pro caliber LT play for basically 20 years and it amounted to nothing. 

The key is to have five guys who fit the scheme and play well together. 

I know DE is a popular mocked position to us in the 2nd. I still think we end up hammering offense with 4 of the first 5 picks. The exception likely being LB. 

Because I think we'll enter the draft with Dante Fowler, Dorance Armstrong, KJ Henry and Andre Jones at DE. Not world beaters by any means, but solid nonetheless. I think there's a chance we take a DE in the 3rd or 4th certainly, just not sure it's gonna be at #36 or #40. I know you can never have too many pass rushers, but given the focus seems to be infusing young talent on offense, going the FA route on DE seems to make the most sense to me. Shift focus to drafting DE and CB to next year's draft and use this FA cycle to bring in younger vets to stopgap.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

I just don't really like this Edge class at all. Chop Robinson is intriguing because he fits that Quinn style of Edge but I just don't know where to draft him. I've seen him go literally from round 1 to round 3. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I liked Keion White last year a little more than Robinson now, but I liked that type of oversized DEs with athleticism, I wonder if he can lose 10 pounds and add some speed. 

Oh I definitely like Robinson more than I liked White last year, and I've steadily become a GT fan.  White was a great athlete but he just didn't show up consistently.  Half his season of production came from dominating a terrible UNC line.  Robinson is a lot more consistent in impact and motor.  And he was pretty much the player of Senior Bowl week and looked like he could rush with a lot more technique than expected from watching his game film.  I think he carries his weight better than White did too.  Robinson is lean at 286.

I think the fan base might have a bit of a melt down, but a second round where we get Robinson at 36 and T'Vondre Sweat at ~54 while adding a late third would be a pretty great outcome to me.  It'd be a major infusion of size and talent to the DL.  We need some size there now that Chase and Montez are gone, because Daron and Allen are not the biggest dudes.

If you have a DL rotation with Payne/Allen/Sweat inside, that gives you the freedom to go small at LBer with prospects like Trotter Jr and still build a foundation on stopping the run.  It's gone under the radar because our pass defense and team as a whole collapsed last year, but our run defense fell apart too.  We were 27th in yards per game allowed, down from 11th in '22.  Even when our DL was at its peak, we weren't dominant at stopping the run.  That chink in the armor can get you drummed out of the postseason by flawed teams who shouldn't be able to beat you like the Titans or Bucs, so it's not something to neglect.

Just throwing DL talent at the problem like the Eagles have won't get you a dominant run defense, but it's the start for it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Oh I definitely like Robinson more than I liked White last year, and I've steadily become a GT fan.  White was a great athlete but he just didn't show up consistently.  Half his season of production came from dominating a terrible UNC line.  Robinson is a lot more consistent in impact and motor.  And he was pretty much the player of Senior Bowl week and looked like he could rush with a lot more technique than expected from watching his game film.  I think he carries his weight better than White did too.  Robinson is lean at 286.

I think the fan base might have a bit of a melt down, but a second round where we get Robinson at 36 and T'Vondre Sweat at ~54 while adding a late third would be a pretty great outcome to me.  It'd be a major infusion of size and talent to the DL.  We need some size there now that Chase and Montez are gone, because Daron and Allen are not the biggest dudes.

If you have a DL rotation with Payne/Allen/Sweat inside, that gives you the freedom to go small at LBer with prospects like Trotter Jr and still build a foundation on stopping the run.  It's gone under the radar because our pass defense and team as a whole collapsed last year, but our run defense fell apart too.  We were 27th in yards per game allowed, down from 11th in '22.  Even when our DL was at its peak, we weren't dominant at stopping the run.  That chink in the armor can get you drummed out of the postseason by flawed teams who shouldn't be able to beat you like the Titans or Bucs, so it's not something to neglect.

Just throwing DL talent at the problem like the Eagles have won't get you a dominant run defense, but it's the start for it.

Keion White IMO was more twitchy, better bend than Robinson.

But i do like Robinson.  I've been on the Robinson train since the Senior Bowl, so not long but long enough to know its a train i am staying on. 

5 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Agree, you need those 2nd level defenders too.  Arguably we've not had a stud Mike-LB since London Fletcher.  That's part of the charm of Payton Wilson who you brought to my attention and agree he's a stud but also agree his medicals have to check out to pounce early.

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

We're going to have a flawed LT starting for us

Thats why I think it makes some sense to grab Tyron Smith for a year or two. Draft a young guy to back him up because we know his health is iffy to say the least. 

16 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Because I think we'll enter the draft with Dante Fowler, Dorance Armstrong, KJ Henry and Andre Jones at DE. Not world beaters by any means, but solid nonetheless.

I don't see that as solid at all. I would see that rotation as being a contender for the worst edge rotation in the league.  Not a single one of those players is starting caliber, and there is no interesting or realistic long term upside in the group either.

We've been a bit spoiled by having continuous Probowl talent at edge since 2008.  If we go into next season with an edge group that bad, we're going to relearn what it's like to have a defense that struggles to generate 20 sacks in a season.  This is a position group that most of the best teams don't scrimp on.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I just don't really like this Edge class at all. Chop Robinson is intriguing because he fits that Quinn style of Edge but I just don't know where to draft him. I've seen him go literally from round 1 to round 3. 

I like Chop a lot. Recently it seems he and Trice may slip due to size. I would take either on of them with our second rounder. Trice led the nation in QB pressures last season. His measurable arent ideal. But the guy is a just a football player. 

6 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I don't see that as solid at all. I would see that rotation as being a contender for the worst edge rotation in the league.  Not a single one of those players is starting caliber, and there is no interesting or realistic long term upside in the group either.

We've been a bit spoiled by having continuous Probowl talent at edge since 2008.  If we go into next season with an edge group that bad, we're going to relearn what it's like to have a defense that struggles to generate 20 sacks in a season.  This is a position group that most of the best teams don't scrimp on.

Yes, agreed long-term. But I don't think we are trying to build a championship caliber defense in 2024. The focus should be on offense. Round back to DE next year, in hopefully a stronger class. We are going to have holes, and I would prefer they be on defense, not offense. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

I like Chop a lot. Recently it seems he and Trice may slip due to size. I would take either on of them with our second rounder. Trice led the nation in QB pressures last season. His measurable arent ideal. But the guy is a just a football player. 

Agreed about Trice.  I think he might actually make it to 67.  Losing 30 pounds and running slow was a disaster for his draft stock.  I'm guessing he lost the weight because he wants to stay a stand up player in the NFL, but he's not fast enough to play LBer full time.  He's a pure pass rusher, and he's going to be seen as the bad kind of tweener.

I love his film, but I do foresee some issues with fit if he doesn't play from a three point stance.  He's Alex Highsmith, and would probably need a scheme similar to the 3-4 Pittsburgh runs for a natural fit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, illone said:

This guy helped himself last week…

Kinda hope he is around when the skins pick in round 2. Definitely on the lighter end, but he is a football player. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8b5b4223ab1ac37d0e4e81bea24c4cf3.jpeg

He didnt really need to help himself at the combine. His tape is incredible. And we have been talking about him for months.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

He didnt really need to help himself at the combine. His tape is incredible. And we have been talking about him for months.

I scanned a few pages back and didnt see his name. 

Makes sense this bunch would be all over it 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Thats why I think it makes some sense to grab Tyron Smith for a year or two. Draft a young guy to back him up because we know his health is iffy to say the least. 

You just can’t rely on Smiths availability. 

Your best ability is your availability etc etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

You just can’t rely on Smiths availability. 

Your best ability is your availability etc etc.

True, but if you draft someone like Barton, put him at LG, if (when) Smith gets hurt, he slides outside for a couple weeks. Perfect? No, but it does get you better players on the field. 

49 minutes ago, illone said:

I scanned a few pages back and didnt see his name. 

Makes sense this bunch would be all over it 😂

He's incredible, but he'lll probably injure himself answering the draft phone call.

• Haha 1