Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keon Coleman.  Definitely a darling of most of the draft media.

Also feels a bit boom-bust like his teammate Johnny Wilson but I do like him over Wilson.  I'd be OK with rolling the dice.  I know some draftniks had him top half of the first round earlier in the process and now you see him in the early 2nd often enough where it feels like a "steal".  I am not sure about that myself.  I wouldn't hate it but he's not a pound the table for me guy.  I think he can easily end up in the late 2nd.  But I defnitiely get the logic of taking him in the early 2nd -- lots of upside

I like him more inside the numbers, 2nd level throws, crossers, digs, etc. than I do with out routes- corner rutes

He can be lethal on crossers up the middle.   He seems to have a good feel for seperating in that part of the field and keeps working on getting open when his QB scrambles which I like.  He is definitely not a lazy player.  He keeps working to get open.

As for contested catches, some nice highlights but then meh on some others -- inconsistent.  Great one though against Clemson.  PFF gives him a poor grade on contested catches.

More dynamic with the ball in his hands than Wilson and the stats back that.  Even though Wilson ran faster at the combine, Coleman to my eyes seems to be less stiff as a runner.   And especially up the middle he catch the ball in stride and can motor for a big dude.  He looks faster than his 40 time. 

Good-sticky hands.  Doesn't have the speed to be DK Metcalf explosive deep threat type.  Sort more of a poor man's Drake London.  He's not the physical player that Drake is but is more dynamic and I think he's dangerous in the same parts of the field that Drake was.

I also like that he returns kicks.  Intriguing.  But I have some caution with him.  

I continue to go through the 2nd/3rd tier WR group and coming away liking Leggette, Coleman and Corley the best. I must say however, wow to the loaded position of talent. Each player brings a little something different but they are my 3 in that order. 

One point you bring regarding Coleman is does add the addition of returner which I see as a big advantage for him if the staff would be willing to risk him there. He had 25 punt returns last year for the Seminoles. That along with bringing the bigger body and battling the contested catches is advantage Coleman. 

I think the talent at defense in our spots in the second is going to be too significant to pass on. I think it's going to be edge and CB the way it falls. 

The third, WR and most everything else will be on the board BPA wise 

Rewatching FSU last night, makes me double down on Trey Benson.  I think his skill set translates to the NFL.  Patient runner who follows his blocks.  Makes something out of nothing.  Good vision.  Gets skinny in the hole.    Has power-speed.  Not the game breaker runner that some others like Brooks was.  But with his speed and his hands, I think he will make his share of big plays in the NFL.

I watched one of his interviews, articulate comes off smart.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Rewatching FSU last night, makes me double down on Trey Benson.  I think his skill set translates to the NFL.  Patient runner who follows his blocks.  Makes something out of nothing.  Good vision.  Gets skinny in the hole.    Has power-speed.  Not the game breaker runner that some others like Brooks was.  But with his speed and his hands, I think he will make his share of big plays in the NFL.

I watched one of his interviews, articulate comes off smart.

His floor may be Dallas's 2nd rounder.  They are desperate at RB and he'd start right away.  

59 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think the talent at defense in our spots in the second is going to be too significant to pass on. I think it's going to be edge and CB the way it falls. 

I am not a marry a position to a spot in the draft kind of guy -- but it clearly was how Ron Rivera lived.  Wacky how Keim knew exactly what they were angling for in each round.

But if I am going purely on how I'd guess the draft will fall.

The last standing left tackles might be available early 2nd -- Morgan, Barton - some say both are better guards.  Listening to draft podcasts, i am getting the vibe that Morgan will be there because of his "meh" Senior Bowl among other reasons.  I am higher than most on Patrick Paul, he's my favorite project type at LT and I don't buy the mocks that have him falling to the third.  He's a third rounder as to production.  But its a high premium position and he has high end traits for it.

Right tackles -- Fisher, Rosengarten are likely there early third.

Guards -- Beebe, Puni, Haynes, Mahogany likely there in the third at least most of them.  I like all four of them a lot.  

Edge will very tempting early 2nd -- C. Robinson, D. Robinson.  Wouldn't shock me if one of them is there.  Early third between Kneeland, Isaac, Elliss, Trice, Braswell -- I think a few a few of them wil be there either 3rd but all gone by the 4th.  Elliss is my guy in that mix. 

WR -- My favorite high floor WRs in that range McConkey, Pearsall, Wilson -- I think one will be there early third.  Also maybe some among Legette, Polk, Burton, Wilson could be there early 3rd.

CBs -- I think there is enough depth that early third remains strong. Sainristil, J. Jones, M. Melton, etc.  Almost no chace you can't get a good corner in the early 3rd especially if you are open to slot.

My point is almost feels like a no brainer to trade down in the 2nd and accumulate third round picks if you can.  I lot of draftniks (including even upbeat Jim Nagy) think the depth in the draft sucks in the later rounds.  I agree.  When i do those mock drafts with the PFN simulator I hate the late rounds but I love rounds 1-through 4. 

7 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

His floor may be Dallas's 2nd rounder.  They are desperate at RB and he'd start right away.  

Maybe.  My gut is the run happens in the third.  But it woudn't shock me if Benson goes first.  His measurables were great at the combine and he's also an everyday, do it all type of back. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thumb up 2

Draft is so deep at OT and WR that we absolutely have to gun for those spots at 36 and 40. We can find day 1 high quality starters right away and both are positions of need for us.

We can't make the same mistake we made last year when we didn't address TE in a loaded class.

I think round 3 is the money spot for a Nickelback, LB, and a G/C type.

Edited by Warhead36
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

I continue to go through the 2nd/3rd tier WR group and coming away liking Leggette, Coleman and Corley the best. I must say however, wow to the loaded position of talent. Each player brings a little something different but they are my 3 in that order. 

One point you bring regarding Coleman is does add the addition of returner which I see as a big advantage for him if the staff would be willing to risk him there. He had 25 punt returns last year for the Seminoles. That along with bringing the bigger body and battling the contested catches is advantage Coleman. 

One disavantage among others we have is we don't know much about these players drive-personality so that's part of my hesitation with the boom-bust types.  I was a big Terry guy before that draft even though some of his play also screamed boom-bust but his intangibles-drive were touted to death so that reassured me.

Am very big on McConkey, Pearsall, Wilson in that order as to slot WRs because they seem so high floor-gamer type of receivers.  So am really hung up on getting one of those.

Leggette is a fun watch, very tempting.  I loved watching Polk too but hated that he ran in the 4'5s. 

I like Corley but the reason why I am not as high on him as some here, is he's physicality just purely about YAC.  He's not a contested catch guy, not much of a deep threat.  He's to me a WCO YAC guy.  Don't get me wrong, I do like that.  But am more jazzed about some other receivers in that 2nd tier.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Corley looks like Deebo which is the big selling point, but we don't know if KK even wants that kind of player. He fits perfectly in Kyle's scheme which is why AP found him, but AP has said that he looks for players that fit what the coaches want. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We can't make the same mistake we made last year when we didn't address TE in a loaded class.

Started rewatching the TEs.  I think I''ve come to the conclusion that the only 5th round type TE that I like in this class is Jared Wiley, same guy I thought months back as the best in that third tier group, wouldn't shock me if he went higher.   Usually I like more in that range. 

I think I like Wiley over Theo Johnson which goes against the grain of the mock drafters and combine results.  To me Theo is also a 5th rounder type as a player but he probably goes higher. I want to love J. Bell, but I am back and forth on him, got to rewatch him more but I am cool with him if its later in the draft.  When rewatching FSU last night, I wasn't blown away with Bell.

I got to sort through again Sanders, Sinnott, Stover.   They are IMO the third rounders.  i like them probably in that order but I get the argument for either.  Don't love any of those three but i like them.

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Corley looks like Deebo which is the big selling point, but we don't know if KK even wants that kind of player. He fits perfectly in Kyle's scheme which is why AP found him, but AP has said that he looks for players that fit what the coaches want. 

Too bad he didn't run at the combine

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not a marry a position to a spot in the draft kind of guy -- but it clearly was how Ron Rivera lived.  Wacky how Keim knew exactly what they were angling for in each round.

But if I am going purely on how I'd guess the draft will fall.

The last standing left tackles might be available early 2nd -- Morgan, Barton - some say both are better guards.  Listening to draft podcasts, i am getting the vibe that Morgan will be there because of his "meh" Senior Bowl among other reasons.  I am higher than most on Patrick Paul, he's my favorite project type at LT and I don't buy the mocks that have him falling to the third.  He's a third rounder as to production.  But its a high premium position and he has high end traits for it.

Right tackles -- Fisher, Rosengarten are likely there early third.

Guards -- Beebe, Puni, Haynes, Mahogany likely there in the third at least most of them.  I like all four of them a lot.  

Edge will very tempting early 2nd -- C. Robinson, D. Robinson.  Wouldn't shock me if one of them is there.  Early third between Kneeland, Isaac, Elliss, Trice, Braswell -- I think a few a few of them wil be there either 3rd but all gone by the 4th.  Elliss is my guy in that mix. 

WR -- My favorite high floor WRs in that range McConkey, Pearsall, Wilson -- I think one will be there early third.  Also maybe some among Legette, Polk, Burton, Wilson could be there early 3rd.

CBs -- I think there is enough depth that early third remains strong. Sainristil, J. Jones, M. Melton, etc.  Almost no chace you can't get a good corner in the early 3rd especially if you are open to slot.

My point is almost feels like a no brainer to trade down in the 2nd and accumulate third round picks if you can.  I lot of draftniks (including even upbeat Jim Nagy) think the depth in the draft sucks in the later rounds.  I agree.  When i do those mock drafts with the PFN simulator I hate the late rounds but I love rounds 1-through 4. 

Maybe.  My gut is the run happens in the third.  But it woudn't shock me if Benson goes first.  His measurables were great at the combine and he's also an everyday, do it all type of back. 

Paul has been one of my guys for a while. Same with GC, so if he's there at 36, I'd jump on him. 

There's a handful of guys I really like that'll be there at 36 and 40 though and our first 3rd as well. Picks 100&104 are looking great too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Started rewatching the TEs.  I think I''ve come to the conclusion that the only 5th round type TE that I like in this class is Jared Wiley, same guy I thought months back as the best in that third tier group, wouldn't shock me if he went higher.   Usually I like more in that range. 

I think I like Wiley over Theo Johnson which goes against the grain of the mock drafters and combine results.  To me Theo is also a 5th rounder type as a player but he probably goes higher. I want to love J. Bell, but I am back and forth on him, got to rewatch him more but I am cool with him if its later in the draft.  When rewatching FSU last night, I wasn't blown away with Bell.

I got to sort through again Sanders, Sinnott, Stover.   They are IMO the third rounders.  i like them probably in that order but I get the argument for either.  Don't love any of those three but i like them.

As a Sminoles fan, I saw alot of Bell. He's a lunch pail kind of TE mentality wise, but often makes it look so effortless. 

He's got really good speed and seems to catch everything thrown his way. More often then not, he was a mismatch problem for defenses. 

With that said, is his production a product of that scheme or is that pure talent that can succeed at the next level? The jury is out for me on that one..

I do think he can be a solid player if he's there in the 5th. For me, he's at the top of that 3rd tier of TEs. Just my 2 cents.

HTTR!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Draft is so deep at OT and WR that we absolutely have to gun for those spots at 36 and 40. We can find day 1 high quality starters right away and both are positions of need for us.

I think round 3 is the money spot for a Nickelback, LB, and a G/C type.

FA is going to really dictate our draft a lot, I think. 

Someone like Morgan or Paul look a lot better of OT isn't addressed in FA. If it is, guys like Goncalves and Puni on day three make more sense. 

With position positive drafts, they key is to find the sleepers who would stand out in a normal draft, but do it later. The groups with less high end talent, need to be addressed when they're available.

Like LBer. If we're at 40 and Wilson or Cooper or Grey are there, I'd jump. TE, if Theo, Cade or Sinnott are there around 100, id jump.

24 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

FA is going to really dictate our draft a lot, I think. 

Someone like Morgan or Paul look a lot better of OT isn't addressed in FA. If it is, guys like Goncalves and Puni on day three make more sense. 

With position positive drafts, they key is to find the sleepers who would stand out in a normal draft, but do it later. The groups with less high end talent, need to be addressed when they're available.

Like LBer. If we're at 40 and Wilson or Cooper or Grey are there, I'd jump. TE, if Theo, Cade or Sinnott are there around 100, id jump.

Yeah I do agree FA will determine a lot, but if we have a shot at getting a quality starting caliber T in the 2nd we gotta do it, whether we sign a FA LT  or not. At worst we get a starting RT and can move Wylie to LG or backup. Especially since OT is a premium position that tends to be expensive in FA.

• Like 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I do agree FA will determine a lot, but if we have a shot at getting a quality starting caliber T in the 2nd we gotta do it, whether we sign a FA LT  or not. At worst we get a starting RT and can move Wylie to LG or backup. Especially since OT is a premium position that tends to be expensive in FA.

Lucky for us we need starters at every position:ols:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, skinsfan4128 said:

As a Sminoles fan, I saw alot of Bell. He's a lunch pail kind of TE mentality wise, but often makes it look so effortless. 

He's got really good speed and seems to catch everything thrown his way. More often then not, he was a mismatch problem for defenses. 

With that said, is his production a product of that scheme or is that pure talent that can succeed at the next level? The jury is out for me on that one..

I do think he can be a solid player if he's there in the 5th. For me, he's at the top of that 3rd tier of TEs. Just my 2 cents.

HTTR!

He reminds me of Brevin Jordan who I liked (not loved) before the draft and he's been OK for the Texans.

A bit undersized at 6 '2.  A lot of flat routes, shallow crossers when I watch him so he doesn't come to me like a crafty route runner but maybe that's his scheme. 

I wouldn't mind if they take him.  But I'd definitely go Jared Wiley over him in that next tier of TEs.   though neither one is exciting IMO.  #2 or maybe even #3 type TEs.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Too bad he didn't run at the combine

Pauline has been hyping up Erick All from Iowa despite his injury history.

52 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He reminds me of Brevin Jordan who I liked (not loved) before the draft and he's been OK for the Texans.

A bit undersized at 6 '2.  A lot of flat routes, shallow crossers when I watch him so he doesn't come to me like a crafty route runner but maybe that's his scheme. 

I wouldn't mind if they take him.  But I'd definitely go Jared Wiley over him in that next tier of TEs.   though neither one is exciting IMO.  #2 or maybe even #3 type TEs.

I am on the Ben Sinnott train all the way, SIP.  Hopefully, Peters is too.  He seems like an all around blocking, pass catching TE.  Hopefully, late 3rd, early 4th and I'd love some Pearsall too!  

@Skinsinparadise Some have been speaking about Blough, Asst. QB Coach as a longshot possible vet QB player/coach as he's only 28.  Thoughts?  Also, thoughts on Sam Hartman fitting into the Kliff Kingsbury scheme.  7th round pick if Howell is traded. 

With so many needs on the team for young talented players, do you guys think it makes sense to trade Howell and get a pick, if they have made their mind on Maye? I am thinking it would be too much to carry two NC QBs on the team. May there is a leverage issue and they may do it closer to draft. Not to offend folks in here, but if we do trade a couple of times from 2 spot, we can make a killing in the draft with all that Offensive talent, despite people's view of spread drafting players over time. We can build a team that is strong elsewhere and with future picks with 2 spot trade, we can pick another draft. I feel like Draft is such a game of luck along with scheme fit, where a lower round players become generational talent and even the top players have to go through their ups and downs on their way to top with the right coaching staff. I mean Luck was supposed to be a generation talent but he didn't win any SB (just for the sake of my point). Let's be real, do you all think Mahomes would a SB winner with us if we drafted him, and we did have a real chance to draft him. But with strong personnel, we can roll with just above average QB to continuous contention and we may get lucky with future draft picks at QB (ex., SF). I get the go big or go home philosophy at the same time. I mean we can trade the bank to move up in future if we find something in the similar talent group as Maye who (based on national media, discussion here, etc.) is not a generational talent as things stand now (again my apologies to folks who have followed him closely and think otherwise 🙏). Needless to say he can become one with right coaching and his play. But then you have a higher % of hitting with top QBs and you don't draft in top every year, so there is that. I think it's just an interesting discussion to have. I am sorry if I am posting in the wrong thread as I am still new, although a long time lurker 😁   

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

One disavantage among others we have is we don't know much about these players drive-personality so that's part of my hesitation with the boom-bust types.  I was a big Terry guy before that draft even though some of his play also screamed boom-bust but his intangibles-drive were touted to death so that reassured me.

Am very big on McConkey, Pearsall, Wilson in that order as to slot WRs because they seem so high floor-gamer type of receivers.  So am really hung up on getting one of those.

Leggette is a fun watch, very tempting.  I loved watching Polk too but hated that he ran in the 4'5s. 

I like Corley but the reason why I am not as high on him as some here, is he's physicality just purely about YAC.  He's not a contested catch guy, not much of a deep threat.  He's to me a WCO YAC guy.  Don't get me wrong, I do like that.  But am more jazzed about some other receivers in that 2nd tier.

I do like McConkey too but I now consider him not available at 36 so left him off my list. He has come on so strong, what a solid player.

I am okay with Pearsall but like the other 3 better in that group or tier. \

One guy I wish wasn't so injury prone because he is a fav of mine is Tulane's Jha'Quan Jackson. If he dropped to the 6th and passed all medicals I'd grab him and see it as a steal as an interesting gadget and return guy. 

Also consider me on the Johnny Wilson intrigue team like so many others. There's a lot of potential bottled up there.

Really hoping we can hit on one WR before day 3. 

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Give me a late day flyer on Luke McCaffery too, WR from Rice.  He'd be worth a 6th/7th.  

The more I looked at him, the more I liked him.

And speaking of Rice😉, he is coming on stronger for me as well.

:229:The Rook

9 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

My gut is Edge and CB will be BPA when we select, Sucks it's not OT with all the OT talent and the lack of it in FA.

13 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Give me a late day flyer on Luke McCaffery too, WR from Rice.  He'd be worth a 6th/7th.  

I'm not sure he makes it out of the 5th but yeah, he is not bad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

My gut is Edge and CB will be BPA when we select, Sucks it's not OT with all the OT talent and the lack of it in FA.

I'm not sure he makes it out of the 5th but yeah, he is not bad.

It might be Cooper.  Just don't know if we'd take a LB there (although we have a glaring need obviously).  I'd rather gamble on Peyton Wilson with our early 3rd if he makes it, but he's got huge red flags medically.

Edited by mhd24

Coleman is electric on punt returns and other open field runs, and he's special as a 50-50 ball weapon in the red zone.  It's an unusual combo of skills.  But I think the issues with separation are pretty clear from his film.  His speed isn't threatening and he isn't a savvy route runner, so it's really easy to just sit on him.  I think that's the source of his lack of collegiate production.  To me, the second round is too early to draft a special teamer and red zone specialist.

I like Johnny Wilson over him in the third.  Wilson is rough, but he's a ridiculously special athlete.  He's got legit build up speed to keep DBs honest, and he wins leverage so easily because of his size.  His release game and route savvy don't have to be special, because DBs are terrified of pressing him or crowding him through his break.  They play for space with him because he is intimidatingly big, and they are scared of him getting a step on them because they know they can't run with him in the open field.

But I do think the hands issues with Wilson are legit, and I think he has awkward biomechanics too, and doesn't have good lower body flexibility or coordination.  His feet kind of die on him when he braces for contact, and he ends up getting folded up too often.  I think he's going to miss a lot of time at the next level too.

My day three guy is Jamari Thrash.  He looked as good as McConkey did at the SB IMO, but he's going to go in like the fifth or sixth round instead of the top of the second.   He lacks play strength, but he is such a slick route runner.  He's constantly open and he gets a ton of deep ball production despite his average timed speed.  He is killer against off and zone coverage, and I think the release game can develop over time too.  Route running translates to the NFL.  Once his gets stronger and develops an ability to win against press, I think he can be a starter.

• Like 1