Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2024 NFL mock draft: Reid's pick predictions in Rounds 1-2

2. Washington Commanders

Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina

It's widely known that Washington will select a QB if it stays put at No. 2, but which one? I elected to go with Maye, as his prior experience in an Air Raid-style offense, his size (6-foot-4, 223 pounds) and ability to drive the ball downfield gives him the edge over LSU's Jayden Daniels. The learning curve might not be as steep for him in Kliff Kingsbury's offense, and there is a lot of upside here with him throwing to receivers Terry McLaurin and Jahan Dotson.

36. Washington Commanders

Graham Barton, C/G, Duke

The Commanders -- who allowed 65 sacks in 2023, tied for the second-most in the NFL -- could need as many as three new starters along the offensive line. Barton is a plug-and-play option along the interior and even has experience at tackle.

40. Washington Commanders (via CHI)

Adisa Isaac, EDGE, Penn State

Losing both Montez Sweat and Chase Young at the trade deadline last October left the Commanders with mostly rotational and depth players off the edge. Isaac has the potential to be a dependable starter. He is explosive and has good bend around the corner.

Edited by FrFan
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

True, but if you draft someone like Barton, put him at LG, if (when) Smith gets hurt, he slides outside for a couple weeks. Perfect? No, but it does get you better players on the field. 

Smith is going to get a big deal from someone - but hes missed 30 odd games over the last 4 seasons. He has a chronic back issue and you just dont know week to week if he's is going to play. When he's available he's still elite - but I just dont think you can pay a guy to the level he will want given his injury history and the prjection that his back is not going to get any better.

I would sign Onewnu and plug him in at RT then pray that Morgan is there when we pick in the 2nd round.  I would make a run at Hunt in free agency as well for LG. I'd looking to draft a couple of developmental O'line later in the draft as well. We have so many needs - not all going to happen in one offseason.

3 hours ago, HvyHTTR said:

wheel-of-fortune-wheel.gif

The better question is, who isn't there? We need to improve across the board at all positions so whomever we think we are going to pick(or do end up picking) will be a position of need in my opinion.

If you could rank the need,as opposed to an upgrade, positions how would it go? 

15 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Smith is going to get a big deal from someone - but hes missed 30 odd games over the last 4 seasons. He has a chronic back issue and you just dont know week to week if he's is going to play. When he's available he's still elite - but I just dont think you can pay a guy to the level he will want given his injury history and the prjection that his back is not going to get any better.

I would sign Onewnu and plug him in at RT then pray that Morgan is there when we pick in the 2nd round.  I would make a run at Hunt in free agency as well for LG. I'd looking to draft a couple of developmental O'line later in the draft as well. We have so many needs - not all going to happen in one offseason.

Morgan is pretty flawed as well and probably not going to be there. He certainly isn't going to be BPA and that's the kind of drafting that got us into this spot. 

If we can add an elite LT we need to do it, while being smart about it and have a contingency plan, for when he's out and then game plan around it. The cowboys have done that for years and drafted his replacement last year. 

I know it's not all going to be fixed in one year, but hoping players fall in the draft is not going to make it happen at all. 

I would definitely sign Onewnu. I have no argument there.

On Smith, it's certainly going to come down to money, but he is the best LT hitting FA.

5 minutes ago, NOLA2DC said:

If you could rank the need,as opposed to an upgrade, positions how would it go? 

I'd rank em like this:

Tier 1-Absolute must upgrade as current starter is not NFL viable

QB

LT

LG

C

MLB

Tier 2-Need to upgrade as current starter is below average

TE

RT

FS

Edge

Tier 3-Should look to upgrade but current starters are at least around league average

RB(find a compliment to Robinson)

WR(someone with size and a 3rd quality starter)

SS(I think Martin can be a fine starter here though)

CB(need to replace Fuller but I'd like to see what our new D coaches can do with Forbes and St. Juste)

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd rank em like this:

Tier 1-Absolute must upgrade as current starter is not NFL viable

QB

LT

LG

C

MLB

Tier 2-Need to upgrade as current starter is below average

TE

RT

FS

Edge

Tier 3-Should look to upgrade but current starters are at least around league average

RB(find a compliment to Robinson)

WR(someone with size and a 3rd quality starter)

SS(I think Martin can be a fine starter here though)

CB(need to replace Fuller but I'd like to see what our new D coaches can do with Forbes and St. Juste)

You can't go into the season with 3 rooks on the o line so I guess Peter's will have to bring a couple vets in. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Morgan is pretty flawed as well and probably not going to be there. He certainly isn't going to be BPA and that's the kind of drafting that got us into this spot. 

I agree he's not a perfect prospect. but I think he's got a lot of upside and could start day 1 (with growing pains). But I do think he's absolutely worth a high 2nd round pick. I dont think he would be a reach at our first 2nd round pick at all.

8 minutes ago, NOLA2DC said:

You can't go into the season with 3 rooks on the o line so I guess Peter's will have to bring a couple vets in. 

Yeah 3 is overkill. I'd look for a veteran LT and C. Then we can either draft a RT and move Wylie to LG, or draft a LG.

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I agree he's not a perfect prospect. but I think he's got a lot of upside and could start day 1 (with growing pains). But I do think he's absolutely worth a high 2nd round pick. I dont think he would be a reach at our first 2nd round pick at all.

He wouldn't be a reach at all, which is probably why he never makes it out of the first. 

The point is that passing on talent at a major position of need, in the hopes that a top tier prospect falls to you and shoehorning yourself into a position of need in the draft, is bad team building.

32 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

He wouldn't be a reach at all, which is probably why he never makes it out of the first. 

The point is that passing on talent at a major position of need, in the hopes that a top tier prospect falls to you and shoehorning yourself into a position of need in the draft, is bad team building.

I think I am misunderstanding your point.

Lets assume we take Maye or Daniels @ 2 overall. I think thats a very very safe assumption.

Our next pick is #36. I suspect you are right about Morgan not making it that far but if he does we get a great fit of player grade and need.

Are you talking about passing over a free agent T hoping Morgan is there? If so I agree - I absolutely would sign two free agent tackles if there are players we see as quality starters available. I think our disagreement is on Smith and the injury risk versus contract cost. I just dont believe we will get enough games out of him to make the signing make sense given the likely cap cost of signing him.

42 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I think I am misunderstanding your point.

Lets assume we take Maye or Daniels @ 2 overall. I think thats a very very safe assumption.

Our next pick is #36. I suspect you are right about Morgan not making it that far but if he does we get a great fit of player grade and need.

Are you talking about passing over a free agent T hoping Morgan is there? If so I agree - I absolutely would sign two free agent tackles if there are players we see as quality starters available. I think our disagreement is on Smith and the injury risk versus contract cost. I just dont believe we will get enough games out of him to make the signing make sense given the likely cap cost of signing him.

Okay, yes, that's where we're missing each other. I think Paul will be there at 36 as well as some of the other second tier guys who just aren't there yet.

I think the best LT is going to be Smith in FA and while he does have injury concerns, he will play most games and be the best at it, while also being a great leader for a young OL.

It's never ideal to miss your LT, but having someone who can step in when he's out temporally, can be protected with scheme and play calling. 

I'd rather have a great LT that will miss some time, with his replacement on the roster needing some training and help, than a subpar healthy LT.

I wouldn't offer Smith a long deal, but something we can easily move on from in two years. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I would not worry about arm length too much with Beebe. He's strictly a guard and his tape speaks for itself.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  Him and Cosmi would be such a fun pair as to the running game

And if we have trouble getting decent T's this year like it looks....those two at G with a good vet C and a decent all around TE would certainly help!

2 hours ago, FrFan said:

2024 NFL mock draft: Reid's pick predictions in Rounds 1-2

2. Washington Commanders

Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina

It's widely known that Washington will select a QB if it stays put at No. 2, but which one? I elected to go with Maye, as his prior experience in an Air Raid-style offense, his size (6-foot-4, 223 pounds) and ability to drive the ball downfield gives him the edge over LSU's Jayden Daniels. The learning curve might not be as steep for him in Kliff Kingsbury's offense, and there is a lot of upside here with him throwing to receivers Terry McLaurin and Jahan Dotson.

36. Washington Commanders

Graham Barton, C/G, Duke

The Commanders -- who allowed 65 sacks in 2023, tied for the second-most in the NFL -- could need as many as three new starters along the offensive line. Barton is a plug-and-play option along the interior and even has experience at tackle.

40. Washington Commanders (via CHI)

Adisa Isaac, EDGE, Penn State

Losing both Montez Sweat and Chase Young at the trade deadline last October left the Commanders with mostly rotational and depth players off the edge. Isaac has the potential to be a dependable starter. He is explosive and has good bend around the corner.

Ten OL and eight WR picked before #36.  What do you think of Barton and Isaac?  Which, if any, of the other players selected in the second round would you have preferred?  

Posted this in the QB thread but meant to post it here, it would suck if McConkey goes in the first.  I've become hung up on getting McConkey or Pearsall, especially if they take Maye.  Maybe Roman Wilson but I don't like him as much as the other 2 but I think all three are high floor.

If its Daniels, I am more in that Legette, Polk -- maybe even Coleman, Franklin mode.

Both Barton and Morgan are gone.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1