Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Need to see how Corley does at his pro day first but yeah. Part of me still likes Keon Coleman though. 

This is like the 2019 WR class. Its absolutely loaded. Even brain dead Bruce Allen was able to find Terry McLaurin in round 3 that year.

I still like Coleman too but I'm sure not about him where we pick in the 2nd. 

Edited by DWinzit

39 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I still like Coleman too but I'm sure not about him where we pick in the 2nd. 

Yeah if he fell to the 3rd that'd be a steal but I think he'll go somewhere in the mid to late 2nd.

Would love to trade down from 40, pick up an extra 3rd or 4th, and then take Coleman(or Corley if he does well at his pro day).

As I review the CB's I am surprised how stellar this class is. I knew there were a few real talents at the top damn, a lot of talent for us. Especially if they can address some of the other needed positions in FA, I could absolutely see a CB taken by the 3rd round.

Are there any good DB's that are good return guys by chance? I can't really find any lists on returners. Just know a number of smaller WR's that are good return guys. 

If we sign Biadasz, then that paves the way to start a rookie LG IMO.  Or see what Braeden Daniels can do anyway.

I think our OL can make much more rapid strides than we realize.  Biadasz and Cosmi are good long term starters.  Draft Jordan Morgan and you've got a decent LT prospect who can probably start as a rookie.  Draft Beebe or Amegadjie or Mason McCormick and you've got an interesting LG prospect.  The line starts coming together fast if we can make these moves.

Which makes me worried that Morgan goes before 36 and Biadasz signs somewhere else.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

As I review the CB's I am surprised how stellar this class is. I knew there were a few real talents at the top damn, a lot of talent for us. Especially if they can address some of the other needed positions in FA, I could absolutely see a CB taken by the 3rd round.

Are there any good DB's that are good return guys by chance? I can't really find any lists on returners. Just know a number of smaller WR's that are good return guys. 

The top tier of corners is unusually good this year.  Four guys with a legit claim to CB1 pretty much guarantees that four will be taken in the top 20.  I don't know what order they will go.  Wiggins has the best tools, Mitchell the best film, Arnold the best ball skills and playmaking instincts, and DeJean the best overall athleticism.  DeJean is an elite return man, but a team would be taking a big risk to play him in that role.

I've been looking at that second tier of corners: McKinstry, Tampa, Rakestraw, Lassiter, Sainristil, and Jackson.  Some of them will go back and of the first, others like Sainristil and Jackson are better values if we can trade down in the second.  Tampa is also only a good value if we go zone heavy. But McKinstry could be a major value pick if he makes it all of the way to 36.  To the point where I would have a lot of trouble choosing between him and Barton/Morgan as BPA at that slot.

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd prefer a vet LT and draft someone who can play RT at 36.

Veterans at LT and C and go with youth everywhere else.

I we sign Biadasz, that's 3 of 5 starters who are vets.  That's tenable.

Like it or not, unless something crazy happens in the draft, Andrew Wylie is going to be our starting RT next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Finally looked into Rakestraw Jr, and my take on him is that he's going to be there at 40.  He has some of the worst hands for a corner that I can remember.  He also has a torn ACL in his injury history, and he ran a 4.5 at only 183 pounds.  I think he ends up getting picked in the 50s.

But the positives are pretty nice with him.  He has long arms and a ton of flexibility and he does have good downhill burst from zone, and he's good in press coverage.

If McKinstry isn't there at 36, I wouldn't mind trading down into the 50s and seeing what is left at corner between guys like Rakestraw and Sainristil and Jackson.  Sainristil has somewhat unpredictable stock.  On film alone, he should be picked in the 30s.  But one of the draft truisms I've found to hold up is that tiny zone corners almost never go as high as you expect.  The NFL does not value these players highly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Finally looked into Rakestraw Jr, and my take on him is that he's going to be there at 40.  He has some of the worst hands for a corner that I can remember.  He also has a torn ACL in his injury history, and he ran a 4.5 at only 183 pounds.  I think he ends up getting picked in the 50s.

But the positives are pretty nice with him.  He has long arms and a ton of flexibility and he does have good downhill burst from zone, and he's good in press coverage.

Haven't watched him yet I noticed some tout him as a fesity player who is strong against the run

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

The top tier of corners is unusually good this year.  Four guys with a legit claim to CB1 pretty much guarantees that four will be taken in the top 20.  I don't know what order they will go.  Wiggins has the best tools, Mitchell the best film, Arnold the best ball skills and playmaking instincts, and DeJean the best overall athleticism.  DeJean is an elite return man, but a team would be taking a big risk to play him in that role.

I've been looking at that second tier of corners: McKinstry, Tampa, Rakestraw, Lassiter, Sainristil, and Jackson.  Some of them will go back and of the first, others like Sainristil and Jackson are better values if we can trade down in the second.  Tampa is also only a good value if we go zone heavy. But McKinstry could be a major value pick if he makes it all of the way to 36.  To the point where I would have a lot of trouble choosing between him and Barton/Morgan as BPA at that slot.

Like it or not, unless something crazy happens in the draft, Andrew Wylie is going to be our starting RT next year.

I have a having a difficult time finding good returners that aren't small WR's. There are usually a couple good S's or RB's that aren't really small. I agree there is little chance DeJean is allowed to be used much as a returner as they will want the focus on playing CB and staying healthy.

Those top corners are incredible, my list has Mitchell #1 be a hair. In the next tier(s) I like Kool-aid, Tampa and Sainristil tops.

I cannot believe it but yeah, it feels like at RT Wylie is penciled in. Freaking crazy, he should be penciled in at LG if anyplace

3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I was enjoying this post until the last sentence. And I just finished eating 🤮

Just watched Malik Washington.  @Koolblue13's dude.

If he's in the late rounds, why not?  Really good college player.  tough projection to the pros because he's 5 '8.   I liked Tank Dell in the last draft but wondered about his size but it worked out well but for some at that size it has not.  And he has good speed but not great speed.

Slot WR.  Killer production.  Great hands.  Can get bullied by physical corners but is a physical player with the ball in his hands.  Seperates well.  More of an underneath threat than a deep threat.  Does much of his work in the 2 games i watched in between the numbers.  OK for his size as a run blocker.

Not pounding the table for him but very solid pick in the 6th round range give or take.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Jacob Cowing, another short slot WR.  5'8, too.  Faster than Malik but not nearly as physical.  If I had to choose between the two I'd go with Malik -- better hands and more physical as for YAC and i think Malik holds up better in the NFL.

Jacob like Malik seems to be more of a first level type of receiver than threatens deep abiet he has the speed to threaten deep.  He hits me as a poor man's Xavier Worthy stlyistically.  And i am not as high on Xavier as some.

I see the Tank Dell comparisons but Dell to me was more physical, better YAC.  But granted their size is about identical.

late 6th-early 7th round.  I can see him as sort of a rotational 4th receiver in obvious passing downs sort of like how we used Dyami. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Moving from small receivers to the big guys.  Rewatching Coleman and Johnny Wilson.  Two I've watched before and couldn't form a strong take one way or another.

Johnny Wilson might be a better pro than college player.  Freakish size - speed combination.

His size shows most as to his catch radius.  He's a big target, seperates well.    Has moments in contested catch situations.  Not that physical as a runner with a ball in his hands and is bit of a straight line runner. If you just watch his highights it looks different on that front but if you watch full games and look at his stats you'll see YAC isn't his game.

He has one of the highest rates of drops in this group, 11%, bit of a body catcher at times

So he's sort of like the Musgrave of Wrs for those that might recall Musgraves tape last year.  i think he's very intriguing.    He's one of those scenarios where I'd trust a good offensive coaching staff to evaluate.  Some boom-bust IMO but boom is intriguing. 

Late third?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Going Commando said:

If McKinstry isn't there at 36, I wouldn't mind trading down into the 50s and seeing what is left at corner between guys like Rakestraw and Sainristil and Jackson.  Sainristil has somewhat unpredictable stock.  On film alone, he should be picked in the 30s.  But one of the draft truisms I've found to hold up is that tiny zone corners almost never go as high as you expect.  The NFL does not value these players highly.

Problem with Rakestraw is that he might be more scheme dependent then we realize? He's best at off coverage and slide shuffle technique. He directs traffic and calls switches. That's when he has the best instincts. His press coverage I couldn't find quality enough opposition to actually gauge his skill, but he's far less instinctual (which is understandable).

I also worry that his slide shuffle preference might get exposed in the NFL. It's a technique that usually works better in college than the Pro's, unless there's the right talent/scheme around them to cover for weaknesses of that technique.

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Moving from small receivers to the big guys.  Rewatching Coleman and Johnny Wilson.  Two I've watched before and couldn't form a strong take one way or another.

Johnny Wilson might be a better pro than college player.  Freakish size - speed combination.

His size shows most as to his catch radius.  He's a big target, seperates well.    Has moments in contested catch situations.  Not that physical as a runner with a ball in his hands and is bit of a straight line runner. If you just watch his highights it looks different on that front but if you watch full games and look at his stats you'll see YAC isn't his game.

He has one of the highest rates of drops in this group, 11%, bit of a body catcher at times

So he's sort of like the Musgrave of Wrs for those that might recall Musgraves tape last year.  i think he's very intriguing.    He's one of those scenarios where I'd trust a good offensive coaching staff to evaluate.  Some boom-bust IMO but boom is intriguing. 

Late third?

John Wilson in the third would be a great pick. He has potential with that size.

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 1

Keon Coleman.  Definitely a darling of most of the draft media.

Also feels a bit boom-bust like his teammate Johnny Wilson but I do like him over Wilson.  I'd be OK with rolling the dice.  I know some draftniks had him top half of the first round earlier in the process and now you see him in the early 2nd often enough where it feels like a "steal".  I am not sure about that myself.  I wouldn't hate it but he's not a pound the table for me guy.  I think he can easily end up in the late 2nd.  But I defnitiely get the logic of taking him in the early 2nd -- lots of upside

I like him more inside the numbers, 2nd level throws, crossers, digs, etc. than I do with out routes- corner rutes

He can be lethal on crossers up the middle.   He seems to have a good feel for seperating in that part of the field and keeps working on getting open when his QB scrambles which I like.  He is definitely not a lazy player.  He keeps working to get open.

As for contested catches, some nice highlights but then meh on some others -- inconsistent.  Great one though against Clemson.  PFF gives him a poor grade on contested catches.

More dynamic with the ball in his hands than Wilson and the stats back that.  Even though Wilson ran faster at the combine, Coleman to my eyes seems to be less stiff as a runner.   And especially up the middle he catch the ball in stride and can motor for a big dude.  He looks faster than his 40 time. 

Good-sticky hands.  Doesn't have the speed to be DK Metcalf explosive deep threat type.  Sort more of a poor man's Drake London.  He's not the physical player that Drake is but is more dynamic and I think he's dangerous in the same parts of the field that Drake was.

I also like that he returns kicks.  Intriguing.  But I have some caution with him.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My gratitude to all the contributors on this thread, you know who you are. You make it so interesting and beneficial from top order to the bottom of the draft. My favorite part is finding diamonds in the rough where you guys point out lesser know players with All Pro capabilities, especially at the key positions like QB, OL, DL, and the like. Saying this, I am looking forward to another year of ES Mock, hopefully soon. Cheers! 🙏

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just watched Malik Washington.  @Koolblue13's dude.

If he's in the late rounds, why not?  Really good college player.  tough projection to the pros because he's 5 '8.   I liked Tank Dell in the last draft but wondered about his size but it worked out well but for some at that size it has not.  And he has good speed but not great speed.

Slot WR.  Killer production.  Great hands.  Can get bullied by physical corners but is a physical player with the ball in his hands.  Seperates well.  More of an underneath threat than a deep threat.  Does much of his work in the 2 games i watched in between the numbers.  OK for his size as a run blocker.

Not pounding the table for him but very solid pick in the 6th round range give or take.

I like him around the 6th, too. WR3/4. ST stud. With offenses playing more 2 high safeties, guys like him with a head of steam are fun to watch.

• Like 1

Beebe is so good. Just watched a highlight video of him again (I’ve watched his games, relax) and he pops. If he is attainable he’d be such a strong pickup. 

The LT type possibly available in our range in the second is definitely Jordan Morgan. He’s a large human with good power and good technique but he sometimes gets a little sloppy and over kicks or over sets and it’s apparent on film. He’s a technique cleanup away from being a significant addition. 

As much as I’d love a playmaking WR type, I’m not sure we’ll be in that convo in the second unless someone crazy falls to us. I do like Corley quite a bit. 

I have a suspicion we’re going to target corner a lot earlier than many of us think. Right now we have Forbes and St Juste as starters. Though I like Holmes developmental potential I don’t think he should be in the convo yet. If Kool-Aid is available at 36 I think you can almost guarantee he’s at the very least in consideration. 

I don’t think we’re going to make an early move at safety. With Forrest and Quan I think we’ll be a little reluctant to pull the trigger… but if we were Kinchens has to be on the table. I just don’t think we will. Maybe a bit later. 

Looks like TE is going to be a “go with what we have and Ertz” spot unless someone interesting is available in the 3-5th range. Sinnott and Stover should be in play in that range. I actually think the third would be a really good spot.

I think we have to target a large pass catcher, either at X or TE, in FA. 

The sleeping giant is Edge. We almost have to target at least one good, starting edge in FA and if at 36 or our other second a high end value is there, it is like corner. If Chop is there at 36, this regime is going to be tempted.

If at 36 Chop, Kool-Aid and Beebe were on the board I’m not sure what we’d do at this point. Those are three pretty even prospects, though I think I’d say it’s Beebe, Robinson and Kool-Aid… but that can change quick. 

FA is going to determine a lot for us.

28 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Beebe is so good. Just watched a highlight video of him again (I’ve watched his games, relax) and he pops. If he is attainable he’d be such a strong pickup. 

The LT type possibly available in our range in the second is definitely Jordan Morgan. He’s a large human with good power and good technique but he sometimes gets a little sloppy and over kicks or over sets and it’s apparent on film. He’s a technique cleanup away from being a significant addition. 

As much as I’d love a playmaking WR type, I’m not sure we’ll be in that convo in the second unless someone crazy falls to us. I do like Corley quite a bit. 

I have a suspicion we’re going to target corner a lot earlier than many of us think. Right now we have Forbes and St Juste as starters. Though I like Holmes developmental potential I don’t think he should be in the convo yet. If Kool-Aid is available at 36 I think you can almost guarantee he’s at the very least in consideration. 

I don’t think we’re going to make an early move at safety. With Forrest and Quan I think we’ll be a little reluctant to pull the trigger… but if we were Kinchens has to be on the table. I just don’t think we will. Maybe a bit later. 

Looks like TE is going to be a “go with what we have and Ertz” spot unless someone interesting is available in the 3-5th range. Sinnott and Stover should be in play in that range. I actually think the third would be a really good spot.

I think we have to target a large pass catcher, either at X or TE, in FA. 

The sleeping giant is Edge. We almost have to target at least one good, starting edge in FA and if at 36 or our other second a high end value is there, it is like corner. If Chop is there at 36, this regime is going to be tempted.

If at 36 Chop, Kool-Aid and Beebe were on the board I’m not sure what we’d do at this point. Those are three pretty even prospects, though I think I’d say it’s Beebe, Robinson and Kool-Aid… but that can change quick. 

FA is going to determine a lot for us.

I think Beebe will be there at 36/40.  His short arms and poor weight-lifting numbers in the combine will cause him to fall.  Morgan might fall to us, but I don't know if he's a tackle with those short arms as well?  I could see Shanny taking him at 31 because he only cares about athleticism at tackle.  

CB is definitely a need and I could see us taking it with one of our 2nds.  However, OL must be addressed with one of our 2nds.  We really have nothing at tackle, so I figure we'll use 36 or 40 to take one.  I also think we trade down from the other spot if we can to pick up an extra mid 4th for example.  If Nix is there at 36, I could see a team trading up for him.  I think Penix will be there at 36 for sure, but I'm not sure how he's viewed considering the extensive injury history.