Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Folks know I'm a pretty big Penn State fan and I'm going to go ahead and throw cold water on the whole Theo Johnson thing.  I would stay away unless it is day three, definitely not in the 2nd round like he is now being projected.

I don't care how he tests, he disappeared for long stretches of games.  He had 12 total TD's and less than 1,000 yards receiving for his entire career at Penn State.  In some instances, he just wasn't the primary option, like the year everything went to Jahan Dotson.  But this past season, Penn State had a weak WR core and were breaking in a new QB.  You'd think this is where the TE would thrive, but it just didn't happen.  Johnson also had a tendency to drop passes.  For me to remember that someone has issues dropping the ball, it has to have happened enough times to stick.  Maybe he's a good blocker, I'm not the type to watch a ton of tape and go back to see how well the TE blocked.  This guy has workout warrior written all over him.  The other TE Penn State had in their two TE personnel, Tyler Warren, was far more dependable.

For reference, several years ago Penn State had a TE named Mike Gesicki who was also around 6'6" and a former volleyball player.  The guy could jump out of a stadium.  Penn State had a red zone play where they would essentially lob the ball in his direction near the goalpost and he'd go up and get it, sometimes with one hand.  Gesicki has been in the league for years as a journeyman without a ton of success, but the point is, if Theo Johnson was that great at leaping and catching with his size, Penn State would have had the same play in the playbook for him, especially as a safety valve with a young QB, and it wasn't in the playbook because he isn't reliable.

Also, and I only bring this up because I pay a bit more attention to what folks on here say about PSU players than others.  There were a number of people on this board who didn't want Micah Parsons under any circumstances because he might have been involved in hazing his teammates.  I'm aware he didn't make it to our pick but if he had, I'd bet most of those same people wouldn't care after the seasons he has put up, unless you're really loving the Jamin Davis experiment.

I say this because the Parsons stuff was alleged.  Theo Johnson was actually convicted of assault last summer.  Didn't like being asked to leave a party and punched someone in the face.

https://www.psucollegian.com/news/campus/penn-state-football-tight-end-theo-johnson-sentenced-for-involvement-in-february-assault/article_cd7d0d4a-1760-11ee-b30a-0f44b2780190.html

Now oddly, though he was suspended from team activities for awhile, he was named a team captain prior to the season so who the heck knows, but if you're one of those people who only wants the most pure of character, take him off your boards.

Edited to add, I'll root for the guy.  I generally want to see PSU guys get drafted and succeed since it helps with recruiting, unless they go to another NFC East team.  But I wouldn't invest a pick in him and I wouldn't bet any of my own money that he'll have a good career.

Edited by Forehead
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, Forehead said:

The other TE Penn State had in their two TE personnel, Tyler Warren, was far more dependable.

We are brother. And I posted the same thing a few pages back. Warren would have gone before Theo in this draft imo. 

44 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think McConkey in the 2nd and Pearsall in the early 3td are my guys. Both high floor receivers IMO

I like Pearsall as well if he last until the 3rd. Think he could be a very productive NFL slot receiver. 4.4 was a very solid time for him.

There is some buzz around him though, so I wonder if he lasts until the 3rd.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Going Commando said:

4.7 is a damaging time for Estime.  I was ready to put that dude in the second round.  Now he's definitely going to go on day 3.

I still love his game though, and I want us to get him.  I'm a BRob fan, but Estime is so good and you never know what will happen to your running backs.

I think Benson is going to be RB1 now.  He checks every single box and feels like a top 50 talent.

I watched a lot of Notre Dame last year - I think he can run a touch faster than that and expect he will at some point before the draft. But he’s not a 4.5 guy, he lcks a top gear. But he does a lot of other things really well and will be a productive NFL back. He has good vision, is patient, runs inside out (so doesn’t bounce it too soon if he see color inside) and he’s a load to tackle once he gets churning. Underrated catching the ball as well. 

He’d be a good backup to Robinson if we are going to run a lot of inside zone/gap. Without us knowing what we want to do with the run game it’s hard to project backs.

• Like 2

4.21 for Worthy? Holy crap.

4.42 - Jha'Quan Jackson

4.43 - Bub Means, Tulu Griffin
4.44 - Cornelius Johnson, Ryan Flournoy
4.45 - Jermain Burton

Just the WR's I was most curious about. Those are great times for these guys who are on the larger side. Thanks @Skinsinparadise

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 1

I think people put too much emphasis on the 40. Speed is great and a top receiver should have good speed but just look at John Ross. He held the record until this year but did nothing in the NFL.

59 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

I think people put too much emphasis on the 40. Speed is great and a top receiver should have good speed but just look at John Ross. He held the record until this year but did nothing in the NFL.

The counter is Tyrek Hill ran 4.29. 

You can’t JUST be fast, but it’s not a bad place to start.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

The counter is Tyrek Hill ran 4.29. 

You can’t JUST be fast, but it’s not a bad place to start.

Agree. Speed takes receivers to another level but it's just part of of the equation fans need to consider when judging a receiver.

• Like 1

We need to try to take a chance to find a Tyreek Hill

https://t.co/9JSltnjEUC

forget the overall score that is impacted by size and weight but focus on the speed and quickness metrics.  Then if the dude can catch then we should take a chance

any of these guys in the draft this year?  Andy Reid always seems to find them…. Maybe we will find one with Adam Peters here.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think he goes in the late 2nd now. IMO the next most high floor Wr in the 2nd round range after McConkey 

Pearsall makes some unreal catches too!