Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

I am increasingly enticed by trading back scenarios as I am not completely sold on Maye or Daniels.

I would love it if we can get a pick (2024 3rd rounder) out of the Patriots so they can pick who they want out of Maye and Daniels. 

Then from #3 spot then trade with Chicago Bears for a nice package of picks (2024 #9 pick, 2024 4th round, 2025 1st round pick).  Bears can pair up Caleb Williams with MHJ and we can draft our LT of the future at #9 and be ready with additional draft capital to overhaul the roster.

• Thumb down 1

15 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

I am increasingly enticed by trading back scenarios as I am not completely sold on Maye or Daniels.

I would love it if we can get a pick (2024 3rd rounder) out of the Patriots so they can pick who they want out of Maye and Daniels. 

Then from #3 spot then trade with Chicago Bears for a nice package of picks (2024 #9 pick, 2024 4th round, 2025 1st round pick).  Bears can pair up Caleb Williams with MHJ and we can draft our LT of the future at #9 and be ready with additional draft capital to overhaul the roster.

Setting aside that this is a horrible idea, it would cost a lot more than a 3rd to move from 3 to 2, and a lot more than a ‘25 1st and a 4th to move from 9 to 3. Enormous jump up to draft a WR in QB territory, you’d be stupid to make that trade even if you already had a QB in hand (we don’t). 

2 hours ago, sjinhan said:

No thank you

15 hours ago, mhd24 said:

My first top 40 mock of the season (no trades) pre combine pre FA:

Assumptions:  Kirk resigns in Minny, Russell Wilson to Vegas, Fields traded to Pittsburgh.

ROUND 1:

1). Chicago (from Carolina)__Caleb Williams (Obviously the Bears will take Caleb)

2). Washington__Drake Maye (I still say we take Maye)

3). New England__Jayden Daniels (Will take whomever is left)

4). Arizona__Marvin Harrison Jr (Will take WR here)

5). Los Angeles__Malik Nabers (I think they want to trade down desperately)

6). New York Giants__Rome Odunze (NYG settles for Odunze)

7). Tennessee__Joe Alt (Went back and forth here, but settled on Alt for the Titans)

8.  Atlanta__JJ McCarthy (Have to take QB here if they don't upgrade in the off-season)

9). Chicago__Brock Bowers (BPA)

10). New York Jets__Olu Fashanu (Need OL help everywhere.  Could be Fuaga if Fashanu is off the board)

11). Minnesota__Dallas Turner (Hunter could be gone in FA)

12). Denver__Byron Murphy (Will be the most motivated trade-down team in the draft.  At this stage, they take BPA).

13). Las Vegas__Terrion Arnold (No QB worthy to take here.  They go for CB1)

14). New Orleans__Tyler Guyton (Ramzyk might be forced to retire.  Penning hasn't worked out.  Need OL help).

15). Indianapolis__Jared Verse (Edge is a huge need)

16). Seattle__Laiai Latu (Was hoping for Murphy.  Settles on getting an edge)

17). Jacksonville__Troy Fautanu (Their FO has emphasized improving the IOL.  Scherff could be a cut candidate).

18). Cincinnati__Taliese Fuaga (They have cap money to spend upgrading the defense (including DT).  Fuaga could go as high as 10 to NYJ).

19). Los Angeles Rams__Quinyon Mitchell (CB is arguably the #1 need area).

20). Pittsburgh__Jackson Powers-Johnson (If JPJ isn't here, than Barton could be the pick).

21). Miami__Darius Robinson (Both edges are coming off ACL injuries).

22). Philadelphia__Nate Wiggins (Would like a young edge, but can't pass on Wiggins).

23). Houston__Brian Thomas Jr (Adds a deep threat for CJ).

24). Dallas__Jer'Zhan Newton (Mazi Smith was a major disappointment last year.  Could be OL as well).

25). Green Bay__Cooper Dejean (All Safeties are FAs)

26). Tampa Bay__Graham Barton (IOL is a major need area).

27). Arizona (from Houston)__JC Latham (Could play RT right and slide Paris Johnson to LT).

28). Buffalo__Chop Robinson (Edge is a huge need area with only Russeau assured to be back).

29). Detroit__Ennis Rakestraw (I think they will be a team looking to trade up for one of the top 3 CBs)

30). Baltimore__Amarius Mims (Moses looked really bad at the end of the year.  Ronnie Stanley can't be counted on to stay healthy.  Mims slides due to his own injury concerns and lack of durability in college).

31). San Francisco__Jordan Morgan (Fits the Shanny style OL to a tee.  Lack of arm length isn't a concern as they prefer athleticism.  Will start at RT).

32). Kansas City__Ladd McConkey (Is this the year KC goes WR?).

ROUND 2:

33). Carolina__Keon Coleman (Have to get more weapons for Bryce).

34). Arizona__Braylan Trice (Nice to get a young edge here).

35). New England__Kingsley Summitaia (Tackle is a huge need area as Owenwu could leave in FA).

36). Washington__Chris Braswell (Edge and OL are huge need areas).

37). Los Angeles Chargers__T'vondre Sweat (Might be limited as a two-down player, but their DTs have been trash).

38). Tennessee__Kool-Aid McKinstry (Both starters are FAs)

39). New York Giants__Tyler Nubin (McKinney is a FA).

40). Washington (from Chicago)__Cooper Bebee (Will start at LG day 1).

seems pretty reasonable 

2 hours ago, sjinhan said:

This post is rage bait.  It's one of the worst posts I've ever seen in the 14 year history of this thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 2/24/2024 at 2:17 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Watched Chop for the first time this morning.  Raw.  But his bend and speed is so wicked that I gather a D line maestro like Quinn would be able to hav fun molding the clay with him.  Best bend of any of the edges I've watched.  I am guessing he's going to destory the combine both on speed and agility measures. 

I am not sure who I could say has better burst coming around the corner. He should kill the combine. Hasn't been super productive, but I would LOVE to see what Quinn could make out of him. I kind of had him pegged for pick 36, or 40. But, just now, I found the article below. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/ravens/news/baltimore-ravens-draft-free-agency-chop-robinson-penn-state-nittany-lions

Chop Robinson to the Ravens is just one of those fits that really seems natural. I could totally see that pick. I feel like Chop may get grabbed up at the back end of the 1st if he does well at the combine. 

On 2/24/2024 at 2:17 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Loved Legette's tape.  Mix Senior Bowl makes me pause a little.  Looking forward to him in the combine.

I was basing a lot of my love for Legette off of you, Hdawg, and Goingcommando. But, I think we all thought he was 6'3" and at the Senior Bowl, Legette measured less than 6'1" and then had up and down performances in the practices. Beyond that, there is breakout age. This was his FIFTH year of college football, and he never had more that 18 catches in a prior year. Breakout age is really big for WR's, just like NBA players. I know that burned me when I was judging Terry McLaurin, and you correctly viewed that largely as lack of opportunity, but this feels different. Legette wasn't fighting through the constant hordes of future NFL Ohio State receivers. I think I'm off him in the second. I wouldn't mind him at the top of the 3rd, but I think there will be better prospects availavke at 36 and 40. I would love him after the 3rd. I do think he drops. 

Edited by Anselmheifer
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 8:05 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Watching some Tahj Washington.  Small but electric.

There are a few too many reps with him where he makes everything look hard.  It's like he's biomechanically inefficient or something.  So many of his cuts and stutter steps are just so exaggerated and makes it seem like he's about to lose his balance, and when he gets hit, he goes sprawling.  I think there are too many reps where he gets too cute about stringing together moves instead of just gearing up and going after he gets the ball in his hands.  But he is a legitimate deep threat, and he does pluck it nicely.  He's a feisty competitor too, and he's tough despite being so tiny.

Day 3 draft stock?

6 hours ago, Going Commando said:

There are a few too many reps with him where he makes everything look hard.  It's like he's biomechanically inefficient or something.  So many of his cuts and stutter steps are just so exaggerated and makes it seem like he's about to lose his balance, and when he gets hit, he goes sprawling.  I think there are too many reps where he gets too cute about stringing together moves instead of just gearing up and going after he gets the ball in his hands.  But he is a legitimate deep threat, and he does pluck it nicely.  He's a feisty competitor too, and he's tough despite being so tiny.

Day 3 draft stock?

Defintely day 3 at his size.  He needs a big combine IMO.  A meh combine would destroy him.  

Hands, ball tracking ability, YAC.  He has one of the best contested catch numbers in spite of his size

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I am not sure who I could say has better burst coming around the corner. He should kill the combine. Hasn't been super productive, but I would LOVE to see what Quinn could make out of him. I kind of had him pegged for pick 36, or 40. But, just now, I found the article below. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/ravens/news/baltimore-ravens-draft-free-agency-chop-robinson-penn-state-nittany-lions

Chop Robinson to the Ravens is just one of those fits that really seems natural. I could totally see that pick. I feel like Chop may get grabbed up at the back end of the 1st if he does well at the combine. 

I was basing a lot of my love for Legette off of you, Hdawg, and Goingcommando. But, I think we all thought he was 6'3" and at the Senior Bowl, Legette measured less than 6'1" and then had up and down performances in the practices. Beyond that, there is breakout age. This was his FIFTH year of college football, and he never had more that 18 catches in a prior year. Breakout age is really big for WR's, just like NBA players. I know that burned me when I was judging Terry McLaurin, and you correctly viewed that largely as lack of opportunity, but this feels different. Legette wasn't fighting through the constant hordes of future NFL Ohio State receivers. I think I'm off him in the second. I wouldn't mind him at the top of the 3rd, but I think there will be better prospects availavke at 36 and 40. I would love him after the 3rd. I do think he drops. 

Chop is very intriguing to me.  That is, if they are intrigued am intrigued considering Quinn's wheelhouse is teaching the D line.

As far as Legette. @KDawg I think was first on him.  I echoed him digging the player based on what I watched.    So many big plays for SC and looked physical and fast.  But yeah to your point he's smaller than what was advertised and had a mixed Senior Bowl.  He's another dude I want to see his peformance at the Senior Bowl.

In that 2nd-3rd round range my sort of pet WR for months has been Ladd McConkey who actually did kill the Senior Bowl, he's the dude I want right now in the 2nd.  I've also been high for months on Ja'Lynn Polk, too in that range, though might be more fitting in the late 2nd-early 3rd.   Also Ricky Pearsall, more in the early third round, is a dude I've liked on further watching.

I got some guys in the i want to see their combine category and then i'll rewatch them.  For example, i know am supposed to love Roman Wilson (big Senior Bowl) and Adonai Mitchell (some draftniks have him in the late 2nd) and Troy Franklin (sick numbers).  I like Roman but watching him, he's a bit boring.  He seperates but not by a ton but still just enough, good hands, not much of a YAC guy or explosion.  But he comes off to me efficient.  I want to see what he runs.  Adonai is tall and has really good hands and made some nice deep ball catches.  But also is a boring watch for me for whatever reason, he doesn't come off to me explosive.  I want to see what he runs, too.

Xavier Worthy is fun with the ball in his hands but for his supposed speed there was not a heck of a lot deep balls showcased, he drops catches, at his size I wonder about his ability in this league.  But I like that returns punts and kicks and is good at it. 

Troy Franklin at his size my worry is Paul Richardson?  But if there is a dude in this mix that I wonder about the combine flipping my opinion in a big way it might be him.  To my eyes he looks VERY fast.  And if he burns up the combine esepcially if he puts on weight, I can be swayed.  He's explosive.  The dude isn't just fast but catches the ball in stride and motors.  Love to see him though put on like 10 pounds will see at the combine.

While early 2nd feels a little rich for me for McConkey he's to me a high floor WR.  I'd be surprised if he isn't a good pro Wr. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Defintely day 3 at his size.  He needs a big combine IMO.  A meh combine would destroy him.  

Hands, ball tracking ability, YAC.  He has one of the best contested catch numbers in spite of his size

The hands and contested catch ability I buy.  To me those are definitely evident on film.  He's a consistent hands catcher who plucks it and he is even unnecessarily showy about it at times IMO.  And he definitely plays through bigger defenders and is a tough guy for a small player.  That plus his crafty and pacey vertical route tree are the most interesting traits.  I think he has a chance to be a good role player in a diverse passing attack.

The YAC ability I don't buy into as much.  I think a lot of that production comes from the system, and is not evidence of elite creativity as a run after catch player.  USC runs these weird moving pocket screen plays for him from the slot that hit for big gains multiple times where he didn't really create any of the action, and in a lot of his big yardage after the catch plays, he had an enormous amount of open field space or he had down field blocks.  He can be very quick and explosive when he just puts his foot in the ground and goes.  But I don't think he's very clever or efficient or elusive as a runner, and he's not a tank like Corley.  To me there is a huge difference between the YAC potential of a power RB playing WR like Corley, a runaway train like Coleman, or a jitterbug runner like McConkey, vs Washington.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Going Commando said:

This post is rage bait.  It's one of the worst posts I've ever seen in the 14 year history of this thread.

So...you are saying you are not in favor?  😂

We can argue about the compensation but you need to prepare yourself for the possibility of a trade back.  Peters is paid to evaluate all possibilities.  If they only like the first QB picked ( and not the next 2) then it makes sense to trade out for a good offer.  I don't think that's a likely scenario.  

When I first began reviewing this draft class I thought we needed to take advantage of the WR class by the early 2nd round. I just can't believe the depth. There are going to be good WR and RB's in the 4th and 5th rounds. And dang in this class alone, hard to believe the talent Penix, Williams and Travis had to work with.

• Like 1

I want Ladd in the 2nd and Corley in the 3rd. Get OL with our other 2nd and 3rds. Go all in on offense to get our new QB going right away. D is so volatile we can focus on that later and coaching and sheer variance will probably have this D at league average anyway.

7 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I've changed my mind about him too.  He needs a big combine more than anyone.  The top 20 draft stock we had been penciling in for him kind of hinged on the reputation of being a big receiver who ran in the 4.3s, aka DK Metcalf measurables.  Now we find out that he's not that big, he can't be slower than expected too.  But now having watched him more, he doesn't look that fast to me.  He doesn't look like he has DK Metcalf explosiveness and breakaway speed.  This is feeling like a case where the draft stock skeptics were right and we were wrong.

I was sold on Chop Robinson early too because of the extreme first step speed, but he's another one that has dropped for me the more I've watched of Penn State.  I think it's accurate to call him an almost totally raw talent, and that Jonah Elliss and Bralen Trice are better players and prospects than him.

I have liked Elliss since I first watched him, and it feels like he is very underrated by the mock drafters.  Surprising since he was an All American and the best player on one of the good defenses from last year.  A better defense than Alabama's, that's for sure.  Penn State was one of the best defenses in the country no doubt, but Chop was more of a cog in the machine for them, where Elliss was the star for Utah.

Trice is the one who has grown on me over the past several months.  His stock was sitting mid to late second during the season, now I think he might end up in the 20s on my board.  He's a really good player with a nice football IQ for an edge (a lot of these guys are the dumbest players on the team).  He has good hands, has a ton of play strength, hits like a truck, and has good second step quickness that make his inside counters dangerous.

The Pac12 defenders aren't taken seriously this year.  I think Elliss, Trice, and Dorlus are all far better than they're currently being graded/projected.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Combine stuff is cool to read about but incredibly boring to watch. 

I actually enjoy the on field drills at the combine. It is nice to watch the guys performing the same drills the guys that came before them did. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

So...you are saying you are not in favor?  😂

We can argue about the compensation but you need to prepare yourself for the possibility of a trade back.  Peters is paid to evaluate all possibilities.  If they only like the first QB picked ( and not the next 2) then it makes sense to trade out for a good offer.  I don't think that's a likely scenario.  

No we can't really argue about the compensation in his post.  For an argument to be worth having, there needs to be some semblance of a case for both sides of it.  It was somehow worse than the horrendous overall plan he laid out, which amounted to agreeably letting the Patriots and Bears rape and pillage us for value so they could get the players they wanted while we puked away our once in a blue moon opportunity to get a franchise QB, only to settle for what?  OT2 OR 3?

To want to trade out of #2, especially for such a dog **** poor return, and to punt on our chance to draft a blue chip QB in the first year of our brand new regime, is to so thoroughly misunderstand the value of both this QB class, the position in roster building in general, and the extremely rare opportunity we were gifted with coming off the 2023 season, that it is genuinely contemptible.  This thread is no place for such horrible takes.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

At WR Johnny Wilson is someone I’m looking forward to seeing run and being measured. I hope he runs routes as well.

He’s a guy who could be a physical freak mismatch nightmare for defenses.

If he runs well and has a good combine he could move up a lot of draft boards. 

• Like 4

MH jr skipping EVERYTHING is kinda a "hmm" moment.

As a WR little less concerning than say, QB, but attitude never great on anyone.  Always want the hard worker.

I suppose he's still a lock for 4 I guess though.

• Like 1