Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

9 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I like him too. I'd prefer the RB from Marshall in that same range or even better Ray Davis. We need some legit speed in the backfield IMO.

Big fan of Ray Davis - I did a depth post about him previously.  I think Vidal may be available at pick 219, while Davis will probably be gone. Who knows. 🤷‍♂️:)

:229:The Rook

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Tracy was at iowa transfered to Purdue where they converted him from a receiver to a RB.   He was one of the better kick returners in college last year. 

I couldn't find any condensed Purdue offense games so he's a rare case where I just watched highlights.  His highlights are inpressive albiet highlights from most players are impressive so I get to take it with a grain of salt.

But you can see his upside.  Feisty runner with good speed and power.  Nice jump cut.  Contact balance.   Breaks tackles.  Runs a bit upright.

As a receiver he showcased good YAC ability.  He has the best yards after contact numbers in this group.

Based on that, feels like a 49ers type player?  Peters?  Poor man's Mccaffrey type?

He’s another older player, 6th year senior who will turn 25 in the middle of next season. 

I see a lot of the same things you do in the highlights, and that elusive rating is off the charts — but I have a sneaking suspicion that a slightly built WR-turned-RB

may not be quite NFL ready in pass protection. No idea if that’s true, as there’s nothing out there to watch on it, but that would be an educated guess. And it would be a big problem at his age and position, as you’d need him to be pretty much plug-and-play. 

He’s at the Shrine Game this week, so perhaps that will provide some more information.

Also there, incidentally, is Jonathon Brooks. Much like you, I think he’s pretty impressive every time I watch the Horns. Well-rounded player, love the contact balance and he’s got some breakaway speed. Pretty soft hands, too. I don’t know how far the knee injury will drop him (it obviously dropped him to the Shrine game), but at a certain point on Day 3, that’s a dart throw I would make. Still just 20 years old, so his timetable matches up kinda nicely with Robinson’s, in the sense of being able to replace him in a couple years. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, e16bball said:

He’s another older player, 6th year senior who will turn 25 in the middle of next season. 

I see a lot of the same things you do in the highlights, and that elusive rating is off the charts — but I have a sneaking suspicion that a slightly built WR-turned-RB

may not be quite NFL ready in pass protection. No idea if that’s true, as there’s nothing out there to watch on it, but that would be an educated guess. And it would be a big problem at his age and position, as you’d need him to be pretty much plug-and-play. 

Thanks, i saw the long college career so i suspected he was older but couldn't find his age when i googled it.

Yeah Brooks if the ACL injury doesn't hamper him, i think he can be an explosive-dynamic RB/pass catching weapon in the league

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

That's not how Peters works most of the time though. He's like Beathard.  He gets gems in the mid to late rounds of the drafts.  

We have no clue how he will operate with his own shop, we just know that he’s been credited with finding mid and late round gems. Doesn’t speak to the decisions he’ll make in maneuvering the draft at all. He could be someone who believes strongly in trading down at the top of a tier of players and trading up into the bottom of a higher tier of players, which could lead to unexpected mid round maneuvering. Reading 20 articles on the guy and looking at what decisions his superiors made with his scouting reports in SF doesn’t really tell us anything about how he’ll handle stuff. We have to stop talking like he’s such a known quantity. As a decision-maker, he isn’t. He’s literally never drafted anyone, negotiated a trade for anyone, or signed anyone. We don’t know what he’ll do aside from knowing his general philosophy—we just hope he’ll do it well. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just listened to a Jim Nagy interview and he said Guton is the most talented OL in the draft.  He compared him to Tyron Smith.  Called him super athletic and better than Fashanu and Alt

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

22 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Just listened to a Jim Nagy interview and he said Guton is the most talented OL in the draft.  He compared him to Tyron Smith.  Called him super athletic and better than Fashanu and Alt

Those are some heavy words for Nagy.  There are issues in his game that other analysts have pointed out.  Such as:  Shaky pass protector, slips off blocks against bigger Dlineman, one full year of starting experience, speed vs. outside shoulder, consistency.  

image.png.b96006d64da640ac28db232427ad6fdd.png

5 hours ago, mhd24 said:

We will see. I can see him going 4th OT taken. He is missing functional strength and accurate hand punch for me. Senior Bowl will be a big step for him.

12 hours ago, RWJ said:

Those are some heavy words for Nagy.  There are issues in his game that other analysts have pointed out.  Such as:  Shaky pass protector, slips off blocks against bigger Dlineman, one full year of starting experience, speed vs. outside shoulder, consistency.  

image.png.b96006d64da640ac28db232427ad6fdd.png

Guyton as I mentioned in a previous take, comes off like a freakish athlete, looks the part.  But his play is shaky at times, and isn't much of a run blocker.

He's IMO a projection player just like Patrick Paul, Saumataia, Amagadjie. 

I gave a hard time with players like that as to guessing it right.  Among others here, I didn't like Terrence Steele's performance when I watched his college games but he's turned to be a good pro.  And some of these boom-bust players do turn out to be busts.

I'll say though athleitcism tends to translate more of OT than the typical spot.  Will see how his combine goes and if he's as freaky as it looks.

Players tend to have good Senior Bowls, usually guys come out of it with more hype than they started.  Nagy is informative but he loves to gush about most players there and often the gushing is over the top.  

But players like Guyton often look good in the O line exercises.  And that's compounded often with over the top gushing from draftnik types on twitter who like to stake their claim to these players and often their gushing brings to them attention-retweets

lol, I am already braced for Penix and Nix hype in particular.  Tweets about how those two are as good as the top 3 QB prospects in the draft feel inevitable because that's how the Senior Bowl works.   Penix it will be about the velocity showcased is off the charts.  Some dude will say he has the best arm in this class and will get a million retweets for saying it.  Nix should shine because his accuracy on the first level is good, and so much of the throws in this context will be that -- so am expecting stuff like he's a rich man's Brock Purdy and teams will regret passing him over, etc.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 2

13 hours ago, mhd24 said:

He might be better a super athlete but I have a hard time seeing graded out higher that Fashanu, Fuaga, Latham, or maybe even Alt, Mims and Morgan. There is a big group of those second tier OT's.

SIP is correct about Nagy over hyping some players but I love reading and listening to his take. He gets such great exposure to these players and am a big fan of the Senior Bowl

• Like 1

Well, the Safety group does not look as strong as I thought heading in. There are scant few true single-high types and a plethora of box suited prospects, but that's the case regardless each year. I'll throw out Oklahoma ILB Danny Stutsman IMO would make for a terrific Strong Safety though he is certainly a great looking LB prospect too.

I'm not very confident in my rankings but here goes:

Top Free Safety’s

1.   Kamren Kinchens Miami

2.   Calen Bullock USC

3.   Javon Bullard Georgia

4.   Cole Bishop Utah

5.   Beau Brade Maryland

6.   Kitan Oladapo Oregon State *Interesting and versatile player that I’d play more at FS more so than SS personally

7.   Tykee Smith Georgia

8.    Josh Proctor Ohio State

9.    Dadrion Taylor-Demerson Texas Tech

10.  Omar Brown Nebraska

11.   Alex Johnson UCLA

12.   Kenny Logan Jr. Kansas

13.   Andre Sam LSU

14.   Tyler Owens Texas Tech *I’d play him more at FS more so than SS

15.   Brandon Bishop Liberty

16.   Jaylon King Georgia Tech

17.   CamRon Kelly Louisville

18.   Coen King Virginia

19.   Chelen Garnes Wake Forest *Seriously underrated

20.   Jaylin Simpson Auburn

21.   Myles Harden South Dakota Coyotes

22.   Josh Foster TCU

23.   Akeem Dent Florida State

Top Strong Safety’s

1.    Tyler Nubin Minnesota 

2.    Jaden Hicks Washington State

3.    Sione Vake Utah

4.    James Williams Miami

5.    Dominque Hampton Washington

6.    Malik Mustapha Wake Forest

7.    Morice Norris Fresno State *Underrated

8.    Evan Williams Oregon

9.    Steve Stephens IV Oregon

10.  Makari Paige Michigan

11.  P.J. Jules Southern Illinois

12.  Daijahn Anthony Ole Miss

13.  Trevor Williams Sam Houston

14.  Jaylen Key Alabama

15.  Mark Perry TCU

16.   Shawn Preston Jr. Mississippi State

17.   Jaylen McCullough Tennessee

18.   Jay Stanley Southern Miss

19.   Trey Rucker Oklahoma State

20.   Patrick McMorris California

21.   Demani Richardson Texas A&M

22.   Kendarin Ray Tulsa

23.   Lawrence Johnson SE Missouri

24.   Kolbi Fuqua Jacksonville State

25.   Trey Taylor Air Force

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Well, the Safety group does not look as strong as I thought heading in. There are scant few true single-high types and a plethora of box suited prospects, but that's the case regardless each year. I'll throw out Oklahoma ILB Danny Stutsman IMO would make for a terrific Strong Safety though he is certainly a great looking LB prospect too.

I'm not very confident in my rankings but here goes:

Top Free Safety’s

1.   Kamren Kinchens Miami

2.   Calen Bullock USC

3.   Javon Bullard Georgia

4.   Cole Bishop Utah

5.   Beau Brade Maryland

6.   Kitan Oladapo Oregon State *Interesting and versatile player that I’d play more at FS more so than SS personally

7.   Tykee Smith Georgia

8.    Josh Proctor Ohio State

9.    Dadrion Taylor-Demerson Texas Tech

10.  Omar Brown Nebraska

11.   Alex Johnson UCLA

12.   Kenny Logan Jr. Kansas

13.   Andre Sam LSU

14.   Tyler Owens Texas Tech *I’d play him more at FS more so than SS

15.   Brandon Bishop Liberty

16.   Jaylon King Georgia Tech

17.   CamRon Kelly Louisville

18.   Coen King Virginia

19.   Chelen Garnes Wake Forest *Seriously underrated

20.   Jaylin Simpson Auburn

21.   Myles Harden South Dakota Coyotes

22.   Josh Foster TCU

23.   Akeem Dent Florida State

Top Strong Safety’s

1.    Tyler Nubin Minnesota 

2.    Jaden Hicks Washington State

3.    Sione Vake Utah

4.    James Williams Miami

5.    Dominque Hampton Washington

6.    Malik Mustapha Wake Forest

7.    Morice Norris Fresno State *Underrated

8.    Evan Williams Oregon

9.    Steve Stephens IV Oregon

10.  Makari Paige Michigan

11.  P.J. Jules Southern Illinois

12.  Daijahn Anthony Ole Miss

13.  Trevor Williams Sam Houston

14.  Jaylen Key Alabama

15.  Mark Perry TCU

16.   Shawn Preston Jr. Mississippi State

17.   Jaylen McCullough Tennessee

18.   Jay Stanley Southern Miss

19.   Trey Rucker Oklahoma State

20.   Patrick McMorris California

21.   Demani Richardson Texas A&M

22.   Kendarin Ray Tulsa

23.   Lawrence Johnson SE Missouri

24.   Kolbi Fuqua Jacksonville State

25.   Trey Taylor Air Force

Stutsman is returning to OU, isn’t he?

55 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Guyton as I mentioned in a previous take, comes off like a freakish athlete, looks the part.  But his play is shaky at times, and isn't much of a run blocker.

He's IMO a projection player just like Patrick Paul, Saumataia, Amagadjie. 

Guyton looks rougher than Paul and Amegadjie to me.  He's a catcher with super wide hands who doesn't hold his blocks well, and isn't accurate on the move.

I have a hard time getting a feel on Amegadjie because he's so superior to his match ups in his cut ups.  When people talk about ACC competition being bad, they haven't seen true low level competition.  Watching an NFL athlete tear up Morgan State, Holy Cross, and Dartmouth is what dominating lesser competition really looks like.  He may be a clean prospect with developed technique for all I can tell, but he's doing stuff like catching guys with one hand, giving up zero depth from the line of scrimmage on power rushes, and stoping blitzes with the softest contact ever.

I can see the athletic potential in Guyton, it's just really hard to project someone to be a good NFL player when they aren't a good college player.  It means envisioning a lot of growth that is hard to see the path to get to.  Personally, I wouldn't take the risk on him, but if I were a GM and my coaches were like "oh yeah, we can definitely get him way better" then I guess I would defer to their confidence.  Not in the top 50 picks though.  I've got Paul and Amegadjie ahead of him.

Agreed about Nagy.  He's a ring master whose job is promoting his event, and that is the lense that every tweet he makes must be viewed through.

• Like 2

@Going Commando@KDawg

Have either of you, or anyone else, watched Johnny Wilson, WR from FSU? 

Watching some of his highlights and I would have never guessed he is 6’7, 240 pounds with the way he moves fluidly. Snatches the ball and seems like a hands catcher with a huge catch radius. I wonder what he runs, and his ability to block.

Any interest in him as a WR or TE?

That size makes him really intriguing to me, if he can run in the 4.6 range.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seantaylor=god said:

@Going Commando@KDawg

Have either of you, or anyone else, watched Johnny Wilson, WR from FSU? 

Watching some of his highlights and I would have never guessed he is 6’7, 240 pounds with the way he moves fluidly. Snatches the ball and seems like a hands catcher with a huge catch radius. I wonder what he runs, and his ability to block.

Any interest in him as a WR or TE?

That size makes him really intriguing to me, if he can run in the 4.6 range.

I’ve been thinking about him too, since that senior bowl post. I basically haven’t watched him at all, but I’d love to hear from some of our regulars. 

3 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I’ve been thinking about him too, since that senior bowl post. I basically haven’t watched him at all, but I’d love to hear from some of our regulars. 

Been awhile since I watched him. If I remember right he’s kinda lumbering and not really quick. Good speed, good hands. I actually think if he adds some good weight he could be a tight end candidate. Huge target.

Wouldnt necessarily want to rely on him as a possession outside receiver.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Been awhile since I watched him. If I remember right he’s kinda lumbering and not really quick. Good speed, good hands. I actually think if he adds some good weight he could be a tight end candidate. Huge target.

Wouldnt necessarily want to rely on him as a possession outside receiver.

I’m really looking forward to seeing his three cone numbers. That will probably help us determine if he’s a TE or a Mike Evans type. Also, is he actually 6’7 240? Or is he like 6’6, 235? 

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

A PFF guy talked him up as a TE prospect because of his size.  I did a write up on him many weeks ago.  I don't recall having an overriding impression one way or another.  I'd need to refresh. 

He has one of the highest drop rates and one of the lowest YAC rates in this group.

Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 2.33.30 PM.png

• Like 3

Thinking about this.  Lets say they are shopping for a tall receiver.  And I define a tall receiver as 6'3 or above.  the pool isn't that big if I take out the ones likely going top 10.

Now if lets say the Peters (49ers) thought of going for physical players -- contested catches and YAC guys and is a deep threat, that makes the contenders even smaller.  Forgetting our watches of these players and just running with numbers. 

Legette seems to be the posterchild for this.  Deep threat.  YAC guy.  Decent at contested catches.  And the numbers back that up.  Brain Thomas fits this, too.

Keon Coleman fits as a deep threat and YAC guy, not so much as a contested catch guy.  

Ja'Lynn Polk comes close.  He's 6'2 not 6'3.  Deep threat, contested catches, OK as a YAC guy,

Thomas and Legette seem to be the perfect models if that's the criteria they want.  I don't know that they do but am making a guess that they might based on the current corp of Wrs and the strengths of Daniels-Maye and Peters track record.

Franklin fits it for height and is a good YAC guy.  But he has a slight build and isn't a contested catch guy.  So i wonder about him.

Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 2.56.08 PM.png

• Like 1

Now back to SF, Aiyuk and Deebo aren't tall, 6 foot but they are physical players. 

And again just running with numbers.  Taking out the tallish guys and the ones likely going top 10 and are out of reach.

Corley seems the obvious one as to YAC.  Tory Horton (who I haven't watched yet) seems to have good numbers -- YAC and contested catches.

Ladd McConkey I have a soft spot for.  His numbers aren't off the charts.  But he missed some time.  Such IMO a good route runner and is dangerous with the ball in his hands.  Baller.  

Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 2.58.58 PM.png

• Like 1