Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 minutes ago, Commander202 said:

Just feel like with how the 49ers been. We might surround the roster with a lot of good depth that any qb that comes here can be pretty good. Now idk who the coach will be but I am tempted of the idea of drafting a Tackle and Bowers first round if that’s what a trade back ment .

Just thinking outside the box cause yea , FA doesn’t seem like will be super active . And we already have so many needs . 

Again, SF is a complete outlier in being a relatively consistent contender without a consistent top franchise QB. They're also a compete outlier in getting an apparent late round gem in Purdy. As @The Consigliere noted, the Purdy thing was basically luck and them taking a flyer on a late round guy to hedge their bets. Zero scouts in SF said "That guy is a future All Pro QB, let's wait until the 7th round to pick him."

Part of SF's success has been in drafting role players, which we may have an inside track on since we hired Peters, but it's still far from guaranteed. The other part of their success has been having possibly the most creative offensive mind in the NFL who has a track record of taking almost any QB and make him at least serviceable.

I also have a question for trade down guys. People point out that picking high hasn't really worked out for us. But can you point to a time when trading back did much at all? I mean, ok...we got Ryan Kerrigan, but could have had JJ Watt if we'd stayed pat. I also remember the year we traded all the way back until we had 0 first round picks and a bunch of second rounders and many in here thought we were the absolute geniuses of the draft...until we ended up with a bunch of busts and JAGs.

People are talking about needing a "can't miss" prospect. There's no such thing. The guys like Luck who are as "can't miss" as you can get, come along maybe once every 20 years. Trevor Lawrence was considered the closest thing to "can't miss" since Luck and while he's not a bust, he hasn't exactly lived up to his draft grade and pick so far.

Pretty much every single 1st round QB who has hit has had question marks. Every one. So I think we need to let go of this "can't miss" mindset. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Rook said:

I completely understand the need to upgrade OT on this team, and the FA pool for OT is very shallow. But as we saw last year, that position goes quickly in the draft -  you can be choosing in the third "tier" of OT's by the time the team's 2nd round picks come up.

I would not be heart-broken if they used the 2nd round picks on Beebe and JPJ.   Both of them play hard with attitude and I consider them top tier G and C for this draft.

:229:The Rook

Completely understand the concern of waiting too long to address the OT position and after the top 6 or so, there is certainly a drop-off. It also does not help some guys I really liked that could have been potential bargains like USC OT Jonah Monheim and Rueben Fatheree are returning to school. But, we could land Zion Nelson, Matt Goncalves, Blake Fisher, LeDarius Henderson, Julian Pearl, Javon Foster or Patrick Paul.

I also think Maryland's Delmar Glaze is being slept on as is TCU's Brandon Coleman, SMU's Marcus Bryant, Oklahoma's Walter Rouse. Wyoming's Frank Crum, Kentucky's Marques Cox, South Dakota State's Garrett Greenfield, Eric Miller Louisville and Boise State's Cade Berseford.

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Neither did USC without Caleb. 

But anyway, First Round Mock is almost never right. They're kind of a troll account. 

You know that Da Bears are going after Klifford pretty hard as OC, right? 

From Schefter's facebook:

"Former Cardinals’ HC Kliff Kingsbury, a senior offensive analyst and quarterbacks coach at USC, is expected to interview for the Chicago Bears’ offensive coordinator job, per sources. Kingsbury’s USC QB Caleb Williams is expected to receive strong consideration to become the Bears’ No. 1 overall pick."

Maybe it's mis-direction. Maybe it is a coincidence. Who knows.

Edited by Stadium-Armory

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

To be fair, neither did USC miss Williams in their bowl game. Not saying it has a ton of meaning...actually a bit of the opposite. I don't put a ton of stock in it, the same way I don't necessarily put a ton of stock in it when a backup QB comes in and kills it for a game. The opposing team has zero film on him and no clue what to game plan for.

That's a pretty brutal grade on Daniels in that tweet. I don't think I'd go so low as 3rd round grade, but I can see many of his points in the game cutups I've watched of Daniels so far. I think he's a big time boom/bust prospect. And his swizzle stick frame scares the crap out of me with how he runs and throws his body around.

I do not think it means much either and knew USC beat Louisville a pretty good team too. Just kind of added it on and think Daniels is fragile.

55 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I also have a question for trade down guys. People point out that picking high hasn't really worked out for us. But can you point to a time when trading back did much at all? I mean, ok...we got Ryan Kerrigan, but could have had JJ Watt if we'd stayed pat. I also remember the year we traded all the way back until we had 0 first round picks and a bunch of second rounders and many in here thought we were the absolute geniuses of the draft...until we ended up with a bunch of busts and JAGs.

I want to trade down due to Peters’ past success in later rounds and my current view of the top rated QBs. In past drafts Ive wanted to trade down for the reasons you describe, but not this time around. Its purely situational.  

Im looking ahead with a blinder on the rear view mirror. 

1 hour ago, illone said:

You wont get very many people agreeing with you on this, but I will.  I look at the past few drafts in San Fran and these day two picks are amazing. 

We have nine total picks right now, and WAY more than nine holes on the roster. Trading down makes sense unless you have one of these QB prospects rated as "cant miss".  I dont therefore I am trading down.

Seems unrealistic our FO won't have 1 of the top 3 QBs or Marvin Harrison Jr as a "can't miss" prospect. Trading down always sounds great, but there are diminishing returns when you are passing on quality talent. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Penix won’t be a 1st rounder

It he wasn't covered with red flag injury issues he would be, but we saw what happened in the CFB championship game an in the NFL he'd be broken in no time.  A shame too because if he had some meat on his bones and no injury issues, he'd easily be a 1st rounder.  

If I’m ranking the QBs, right now, for April…

1a/1b: Williams and Maye

3: Nix

4: Daniels

5: McCarthy

6: Rattler

7: Penix

8: Pratt

There is some wiggle in 3-6.

I know people here love Daniels and I understand why, so don’t take this the wrong way but… again… I can’t get over his absolute refusal to throw the ball into windows, his frail frame (Forbes flashbacks), or his one read and high tail it style.

There are times when he gets through progressions but generally he only does that if he’s anticipating something open deep.

He is probably worth the risk of drafting just because if he hits you’re sitting real pretty. But it’s a high risk.

Nix is a clean prospect. Probably the cleanest out of all of them. But he’s a lower ceiling than Williams, Maye and even Daniels. But I think he is the safest QB in the class. 

Penix… man… he really disappointed me in the natty. And he got beat up bad. I’m not sure he can survive a full season.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Again, SF is a complete outlier in being a relatively consistent contender without a consistent top franchise QB. They're also a compete outlier in getting an apparent late round gem in Purdy. As @The Consigliere noted, the Purdy thing was basically luck and them taking a flyer on a late round guy to hedge their bets. Zero scouts in SF said "That guy is a future All Pro QB, let's wait until the 7th round to pick him."

Part of SF's success has been in drafting role players, which we may have an inside track on since we hired Peters, but it's still far from guaranteed. The other part of their success has been having possibly the most creative offensive mind in the NFL who has a track record of taking almost any QB and make him at least serviceable.

People are talking about needing a "can't miss" prospect. There's no such thing. The guys like Luck who are as "can't miss" as you can get, come along maybe once every 20 years. Trevor Lawrence was considered the closest thing to "can't miss" since Luck and while he's not a bust, he hasn't exactly lived up to his draft grade and pick so far.

Pretty much every single 1st round QB who has hit has had question marks. Every one. So I think we need to let go of this "can't miss" mindset. 

I agree with everything you said . Personally for me as much as I’d like to go QB like Williams I just think he will be gone with the first round pick  .I’m big on Harrison Jr and I think if we are serious about changing this team we gotta find scary players man. Harrison JR has literally everything you want as an WR and he be a good building block imo if we can’t get Caleb. 

Im willing to give Howell another year under a new hc . 

Edited by Commander202

if Peters is modeling SF toughness-YAC, Corley seems an obvious target.   He's a fun watch but he didn't play against top competiton aside from the Ohio State game where he was still good but without the insane YAC plays.  Western Kentucky's other receivers also looked really good, too.  Corley isn't a big contested catch guy. 

I am in the Legette camp along with others here.  Brian Thomas in a sneaky way fits.  He's not just a tall deep threat but he's also a physical player -- contested catches and YAC.  To me Ja'Lynn Polk is a poor mans version of Thomas but i like him too.

Late-2nd third round range love McConkey.  

Got some other receivers i like too in that 2nd-3rd round range.  Good draft to add a wideout.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

59 minutes ago, RWJ said:

You know that Da Bears are going after Klifford pretty hard as OC, right? 

I’d imagine this is pretty telling. On the other side, could this just be kingsbury trying to collect that check? Not sure if he’s still receiving money from the cardinals or if him being employed at the college level affects that.

2 minutes ago, mh86 said:

I’d imagine this is pretty telling. On the other side, could this just be kingsbury trying to collect that check? Not sure if he’s still receiving money from the cardinals or if him being employed at the college level affects that.

Could also be Chicago interviewing Kingsbury not only for Kingsbury but the inside scoop on Williams. Would he want to coach him?

I’ll tell ya what… if Chicago hired Kingsbury and they didn’t take Caleb 1 and stayed put and drafted someone else I’d be terrified of taking Williams :ols:

Edited by KDawg
  • Thumb up 3

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

If I’m ranking the QBs, right now, for April…

1a/1b: Williams and Maye

3: Nix

4: Daniels

5: McCarthy

6: Rattler

7: Penix

8: Pratt

There is some wiggle in 3-6.

I know people here love Daniels and I understand why, so don’t take this the wrong way but… again… I can’t get over his absolute refusal to throw the ball into windows, his frail frame (Forbes flashbacks), or his one read and high tail it style.

There are times when he gets through progressions but generally he only does that if he’s anticipating something open deep.

He is probably worth the risk of drafting just because if he hits you’re sitting real pretty. But it’s a high risk.

Nix is a clean prospect. Probably the cleanest out of all of them. But he’s a lower ceiling than Williams, Maye and even Daniels. But I think he is the safest QB in the class. 

Penix… man… he really disappointed me in the natty. And he got beat up bad. I’m not sure he can survive a full season.

I get it, Daniels is iffy. Heck, they all are but he has more holes in his game. It was easy in college to cover up many of them with his athleticism. 

I had Penix at 4 until the Championship game. The week before he was looking like #3 and then, an incredible fall from grace with that mess of a game. Cost him a ton of $. 

I really wish I liked one of those other guys a lot in hopes of a trade down but I don't. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, illone said:

I want to trade down due to Peters’ past success in later rounds and my current view of the top rated QBs. In past drafts Ive wanted to trade down for the reasons you describe, but not this time around. Its purely situational.  

Im looking ahead with a blinder on the rear view mirror. 

I understand the logic, especially if you don't have high grades on the top QB prospects. Though I'd be very surprised if we don't end up with at least one or two of them with high grades (though I'm not a scout and have been wrong on QBs before, so take anything I say with a grain of salt).

But IMO Peters' past success in later rounds could be just as good a reason to not trade down. We have 8 more picks after the 1st round so if we have a high grade on an available QB I'd say pull that trigger and then also rely on Peters and his ability to find good players at other positions after the 1st round.

If there's a high grade on a top QB that would be available to us at 2 I think it would be borderline criminal to pass that up in order to get an extra pick or two that might end up doing nothing for us.

9 minutes ago, Commander202 said:

I agree with everything you said . Personally for me as much as I’d like to go QB like Williams I just think he will be gone with the first round pick  .I’m big on Harrison Jr and I think if we are serious about changing this team we gotta find scary players man. Harrison JR has literally everything you want as an WR and he be a good building block imo if we can’t get Caleb. 

Im willing to give Howell another year under a new hc . 

Unfortunately I'm pretty much with @KDawg on this one. I think, for now, the Howell experiment has to be assumed to be over. He's shell shocked and his entire situation was handled terribly by this team.

I'm a fan of Williams with our pick as well, but I'm also warming up to Maye the more of his cutups I watch (and cooling down on Daniels the more I watch of his). I agree that MHJ is an amazing talent and potentially scary weapon. But WRs are really only scary when they have an actual QB to throw them the ball. 

That being said, I'll trust our new FO. If they truly don't have high grades on whatever QB prospect is available at 2, but do have a high grade on a guy later (Nix maybe?) and want to either take MHJ or trade back a bit then I'll be dubious but will keep an open mind.

But man...in that situation if you **** it up, you're in serious trouble. This franchise's first chance at picking a top 2 QB in a decade with new ownership, new FO, and a chance to truly rebuild, and they miss big time and pass on a stud QB? That would sting for a very long time.

14 minutes ago, mh86 said:

Someone has to keep him in check.  If he were drafted by Adam Peters and I don't think he will but if he were, he'd have mommy and daddy since he/they are from in the DMV. They will eventually join him when he buys them a home in the Chicago burbs but for now Klifford will be his Linas so to speak until his parents join him.  

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

To your point, trading down has been a bad ride mostly.

Traded down in that infamous Cerrato draft so we can get Davis, Kelly and Thomas.  Exicting times.  They all sucked.

Traded down with Dallas of all teams so they can get Dexter Lawrence and we got Trent Murphy and change.  

Traded down with Seattle so they can get Tyler Lockett, we got Crowder and change.  Crowder was good but Lockett has been a star.

The one trade down that looked good for a spell was two seasons ago but that's not aging well.  Chris Olave is putting up monster numbers -- Jahan Dotson has been nowhere close.  At least the and change part though has been good -- Brian Robinson.  Howell right now is a wildcard.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2