Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Just now, Warhead36 said:

He doesnt have as much growth potential at24 compared to Maye who will only be 22. Its actually a huge difference. 

The best players tend to be drafted around ages 20-22. 

And for me it’s not going to matter at QB, either they will succeed or they won’t. 

Neither will get more than 17-30 games to succeed and prove they belong 

• Like 1

FIRST ROUND

1. CHICAGO BEARS (VIA CAR): QB CALEB WILLIAMS, USC

Quarterback Justin Fields is playing some of the best ball of his NFL career. Perhaps that sways the Bears to trade the top pick for the second year in a row and acquire even more premium selections. Ultimately, I think they will reset their rookie quarterback contract window and trade Fields for a nice return. This draft process will be fascinating when it comes to the quarterback debate, but I still say Williams is the top prospect.

2. WASHINGTON COMMANDERS: QB DRAKE MAYE, NORTH CAROLINA

Big changes are coming to the Commanders’ front office and coaching staff when the regular season comes to a close. With new ownership now in place, it seems likely the franchise will completely turn the page. It will be even easier to do so if the Commanders beat out the Patriots for the No. 2 pick, where the easy choice is whoever is available between Caleb Williams or Drake Maye, with either being a franchise quarterback to invest in.

3. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: QB JAYDEN DANIELS, LSU

Week 18 will be a photo finish for one of the Commanders, Patriots and Cardinals to get the No. 2 overall pick. The Patriots and Commanders have the inside track with a much lower strength of schedule tiebreaker. But the Patriots should target a quarterback no matter what. If it isn't Maye or Williams, the reigning Heisman Trophy winner, Daniels, is a special dual-threat talent — a worthy swing of the bat.

4. ARIZONA CARDINALS: WR MARVIN HARRISON JR., OHIO STATE

Getting Marvin Harrison Jr. at No. 4 feels like a steal, but if these teams at the top remain as quarterback-desperate as they are now, it’s not impossible. This would be a no-brainer pick for the Cardinals, securing Harrison as their WR1 of the future.

5. NEW YORK GIANTS: WR MALIK NABERS, LSU

Giants fans might roll their eyes at this one, as it’s not a quarterback, but this is how things played out with three already off the board. Though 2022 first-rounder Evan Neal has struggled at offensive tackle, general manager Joe Schoen has talked about how much they still believe in him at that spot — which, to me, signals at least another year before the Giants use a major draft asset to potentially replace him. That leads us to Nabers, a receiver with elite movement skills and separation ability who is good enough to be the WR1 in many other draft classes.

6. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS: OT JOE ALT, NOTRE DAME

The Chargers’ new general manager will have several roster holes to address, and when that’s the case, the wise move is to look to the premium positions. The Chargers have Rashawn Slater at left tackle and could pair him with Alt on the other side to form one of the NFL's best young tackle duos in front of quarterback Justin Herbert. Alt played only left tackle for Notre Dame but is a very natural athlete who possesses the coordination to play on the other side.

People online are reading into this quote from Poles (Bears GM), taking it as a sign they’re leaning towards trading down. I don’t take it that way at all, but thought it was interesting. Gonna be a long draft season…

22 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

People online are reading into this quote from Poles (Bears GM), taking it as a sign they’re leaning towards trading down. I don’t take it that way at all, but thought it was interesting. Gonna be a long draft season…

I mean, I would immediately assume that if anything this is about their second 1st round pick, which is still very high. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, Conn said:

I mean, I would immediately assume that if anything this is about their second 1st round pick, which is still very high. 

Agreed. They’ll likely want to recoup that second round pick. could easily see them drop down a few or even several spots and be happy.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Screen Shot 2024-01-07 at 9.57.56 PM.png

Just speaking on divisional rivals...dream. First 5 picks shake out badly for the Giants. I don't want Eagles and Cowboys to re-stock their OL.

Kelce is likely retiring. Lane Johnson, Zach Martin, and Tyron Smith will all be 34. Decline or retirement for those have to be coming soon.

33 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

They did strike gold doing it last year, it's gotta be an intoxicating feeling thinking you could do it again and have it work out that well.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Conn said:

Thats what I thought too, but in the end he said a whole lot of nothing. It's liar season.

58 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

GMs don't announce what the are going to do. It is in their interest to keep everyone guessing and all options open, 

There's literally nothing to that quote. It means zero. People are wasting their time and fooling themselves if they think they can ascertain something from it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Lazy af analysis 

Yup. What people keep missing is most bust have under 20 games of starts in them. Most hits have years of starts. This draft has an unusual number of starts in it. Not the normal Zach Wilson, Trubisky, Sanchez one year wonders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, illone said:

Maye reminds me of this guy:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/mitchell-trubisky/32005452-5521-5336-8519-c8cb45ea9b74

Im fine reaching on a guy if he is the right guy. 

Penix is the right guy.  

Can anyone name a QB coached by Mack Brown that has done well in the NFL?  Ill wait… 😂

Maye is probably coming to us for a reason.

He's 6'4

Caleb is 6'1

Trubisky is 6'2, btw

I'm sick of having to compensate for little QBs that can't see over their linemen...

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Maye has elite traits, plenty of experience in a pro offense, and didn’t benefit from a stacked roster. Hes also only 21. He has no injury history and passes every character test. He has flaws in his game that need to be polished like any prospect but there is no reason you shouldn’t be super stoked about potentially building a franchise around him. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 2

That's two LSU receivers in the top ten of that mock, and two Washington receivers in the first.  Additionally both LSU and Washington were finalists for the Joe Moore award, with Washington winning it.

That is the opposite end of the spectrum of support for those QBs than what USC and UNC put in the field.  It's dog **** supporting casts vs the best supporting casts in CFB.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

That's two LSU receivers in the top ten of that mock, and two Washington receivers in the first.  Additionally both LSU and Washington were finalists for the Joe Moore award, with Washington winning it.

That is the opposite end of the spectrum of support for those QBs than what USC and UNC put in the field.  It's dog **** supporting casts vs the best supporting casts in CFB.

Something I think gets overlooked. Especially when you see NFL teams bring in big time WRs and then struggling QBs look much better (eagles, mia).

• Thumb up 1

19 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I mean the knocks against both Burrow and Stroud were that they came from stacked teams and their WRs were really good....turns out Burrow and Stroud were actually just really good QBs and it all translated to the NFL. 

I would hope people have learned not to punish college QBs who have good WRs, especially in conferences where they are also playing against teams with stacked defenses full of potential NFL players

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, mh86 said:

Something I think gets overlooked. Especially when you see NFL teams bring in big time WRs and then struggling QBs look much better (eagles, mia).

It simplifies your reads when you know you can throw it to a guy in any one on one situation, that's for sure.

I know people are going to bring up Tez Walker as evidence that Drake's offense didn't suck, but he isn't that good and he missed a bunch of games while suing for his eligibility.  He also lost the Georgia Tech game for them.

Drake's tape is full of bad receiver play, bad play calls, and OLs letting defenders through the line of scrimmage untouched.  Drake rose above all of that and the fact that he was so poised, creative, and productive through the adversity is a major demonstration of NFL potential.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Skins199021 said:

Hey honestly I have no shame is saying he is my number 2 as well.

Maye just wasn’t that good this past year. He has a lot of the same traits that Howell has that people really hate around here 

I think one of the major problems is that we have a lot of folks (not just you) comparing a guy who is in his 6th year of college football — 5th year as a starter — to a guy in his 2nd year as a starter. 

Perhaps it’s worth asking how Michael Penix looked in his second year as a college starter (3rd overall). You’d have to go all the way back to a time when they were playing in empty stadiums. No one was calling him a surefire top 5 pick back in 2020, and not a soul considered him one of the best prospects in the past decade, as many are saying about Maye at the same stage in his career.

The trick here is that we aren’t trying to figure out who was the best player this past season. That’s for the Heisman voters. What we’re trying to do is figure out who is the best bet to be a star in the NFL five years from now. Those are both very complicated questions — but for the specific mystery we’re trying to solve, the fact that Penix/Daniels/Nix are all 2-3 years further along the development curve than Williams/Maye is a really substantial clue.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Maye is probably coming to us for a reason.

He's 6'4

Caleb is 6'1

Trubisky is 6'2, btw

I'm sick of having to compensate for little QBs that can't see over their linemen...

Anthony Mix was tall…

so was Malcomb Kelley!!

😂

all jokes aside, height is definitely a concern so we agree there but Im still not drafting Maye. He is off my board entirely. I hope chicago takes him and saves us from ourselves. Or new england trades up for him.

I want zero part of drake maye. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1