Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

4 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I am gonna pass on both of these options. If we were picking out of the top 5? Maybe. But we arent. 

Totally understandable, you're taking what's behind one of the curtains after getting to see them in college. I'm leaning towards giving Howell another year, drafting a QB later in round 1 and taking the extra picks this year and next like Chicago did last year.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

16 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Let's say the Bears take Caleb Williams What if the Cardinals want to trade from #4 to #2 to ensure they get Marvin Harrison Jr. Do you make that trade? It still means that either Maye or Daniels will be there at #4. 

That is such a hypothetical scenario though. Because why would that happen if we go QB anyways? It's basically a given that the Patriots at #3 also go QB, they are more desperate than us at the position. So if we take a QB after trading down to #4 and the Patriots also take a QB, why would the Cardinals trade up to take MHJ? Who would be taking him away from them?

That scenario only makes sense if it's not the Patriots at #3 but another team that doesn't need a QB. And for someone else to move into the #3 slot, the Cardinals would have to win. But then, the Patriots would again pick before them (because of SOS), as would likely some other teams (probably Giants & Titans). So the Cardinals basically only pick at #4 if it's us and the Patriots at 2/3 which would make a trade up pretty useless.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Totally understandable, you're taking what's behind one of the curtains after getting to see them in college. I'm leaning towards giving Howell another year, drafting a QB later in round 1 and taking the extra picks this year and next like Chicago did last year.

Picking a QB later in round one is not giving Howell another year.  He'd be benched the first multi interception game that he has.

We need to get out of the QB desert mindset that this team has operated with for generations.  Good teams don't ****foot around with QB.  They pick a guy and form the QB-HC marriage and get to work.  Any more indecisiveness and half assed attempts to pick a QB are unacceptable.  Particularly when we might pick second overall in a historic QB class.

If we end up picking second, then the new regime needs to take advantage of this golden opportunity, pick Drake Maye, trade Howell, and start building up an offense around Maye.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Picking a QB later in round one is not giving Howell another year.  He'd be benched the first multi interception game that he has.

We need to get out of the QB desert mindset that this team has operated with for generations.  Good teams don't ****foot around with QB.  They pick a guy and form the QB-HC marriage and get to work.  Any more indecisiveness and half assed attempts to pick a QB are unacceptable.  Particularly when we might pick second overall in a historic QB class.

If we end up picking second, then the new regime needs to take advantage of this golden opportunity, pick Drake Maye, trade Howell, and start building up an offense around Maye.

assuming they believe Maye is worth it and not just picking him just because. If that’s the case, then yes, they need to do that. If it isn’t, then no… they don’t.

27 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I’m not sure why you would want/need to trade Howell. I don’t think you would get a decent draft pick, and Howell and Maye have been friends since Drake was in HS.

That would be a good QB room for two years.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I’m not sure why you would want/need to trade Howell. I don’t think you would get a decent draft pick, and Howell and Maye have been friends since Drake was in HS.

I am in this camp as well.  If they need a vet to mentor the rookie then get a cheap vet and make him 3rd string. But if they trade Howell they will spend that late round pick on yet another young QB as most teams do and that guy probably won't be as good as Sam Howell.  So that doesn't make a lot of sense to me, IMO Howell could be a really solid, cheap backup QB.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Do you guys really think Maye is that much better than Sam? Is there a way to get the kid from USC? Only prob I have with either of these guys is they don’t play against top college teams in the country.

49 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I have to ask again, why would anyone want Howell as a backup when he couldn't outplay Jacoby? And what decent vet is going to sign here to be 3rd string? 

I also don't care who Howell is friends with - he should not be mentoring or helping to teach anyone when he regressed significantly this season (not to mention it will be a whole new offense that Sam wouldn't have any experience with anyway). Almost every QB from Mahomes to Rodgers to Love to even Brady have talked about how valuable it was to have a veteran to learn from and talk to. Sam is not that. I think they need to look for a trade partner and move on from Sam. This team only carries 2 QBs on the active roster and 1 of them should absolutely be a vet. 

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Well, I guess I'm not ready to move on from Howell after just one season where he showed promise as much as he struggled. I've seen enough to know over the past several years that QB's take time to learn the league and to quit on Howell after just two seasons isn't what I would do, even if he stays on as the backup. Call it insurance in case the high pick struggles or gets injured but I wouldn't trade him now if his value has gone down some. Come October, at the trade deadline, teams will come calling for Howell and we should have more leverage. Howell is a 5th round pick and a POTENTIAL steal if he comes back stronger from this years experience. I'm gonna see him through his 4 years here unless an offer is too good to pass up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I have to ask again, why would anyone want Howell as a backup when he couldn't outplay Jacoby? And what decent vet is going to sign here to be 3rd string? 

I also don't care who Howell is friends with - he should not be mentoring or helping to teach anyone when he regressed significantly this season (not to mention it will be a whole new offense that Sam wouldn't have any experience with anyway). Almost every QB from Mahomes to Rodgers to Love to even Brady have talked about how valuable it was to have a veteran to learn from and talk to. Sam is not that. I think they need to look for a trade partner and move on from Sam. This team only carries 2 QBs on the active roster and 1 of them should absolutely be a vet. 

A couple of things:

1. Howell costs much less than a veteran backup in FA and Jacoby isn’t coming back here.

2. Howell won’t net anything significant in a trade so why get rid of him for nothing? He’s not bad. He still has potential to grow.

3. It’s not so much that a care who Howell is friends with, but I do want my rookie franchise QB set up for success. I believe coming into a new city, job, offense, etc. there would be at least some tangential benefit to a familiar face, especially when it’s a mentor you have known since you were 18 years old, if Drake Maye is the pick.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

You just committed an entire year to Sam's growth and you're going to end it there? Why not build the roster and see how that impacts Sam's play? This kid is tough, durable and has an arm; maybe with some better coaching and experience he takes off? I'd hate to see another team benefit from Sam's potential the same as we have to watch all of our young coaches who got away be very successful across the league. It's one thing to throw all of your eggs in one basket and hope it works but wouldn't it be wise to keep Sam around to see how he plays out too while committing to the high draft pick? This worked out pretty well for the Niners with Montana and Young, Packers with Favre and Rodgers, Eagles with Wentz, Foles and Hurts. It's actually how the Eagles like to build their QB room....."We want to be a QB factory", Howie Roseman. 

13 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

A couple of things:

1. Howell costs much less than a veteran backup in FA and Jacoby isn’t coming back here.

2. Howell won’t net anything significant in a trade so why get rid of him for nothing? He’s not bad. He still has potential to grow.

3. It’s not so much that a care who Howell is friends with, but I do want my rookie franchise QB set up for success. I believe coming into a new city, job, offense, etc. there would be at least some tangential benefit to a familiar face, especially when it’s a mentor you have known since you were 18 years old, if Drake Maye is the pick.

Howell can not mentor anyone. 🥴 We should not want someone who got benched 3 times in a season for poor play mentoring anyone else. This conversation is becoming absolutely insane to me. You want him teaching the same bad mechanics and poor field vision that he has shown?

We also have no idea what Howell would net, so we should find out. I believe Gardner Minshew netted a 5th or 6th round pick. 

Howell costing less than a veteran doesn't mean anything since the veteran's experience would be 100 times more valuable than anything Sam could offer a rookie. 

5 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

You just committed an entire year to Sam's growth and you're going to end it there? Why not build the roster and see how that impacts Sam's play? This kid is tough, durable and has an arm; maybe with some better coaching and experience he takes off? I'd hate to see another team benefit from Sam's potential the same as we have to watch all of our young coaches who got away be very successful across the league. It's one thing to throw all of your eggs in one basket and hope it works but wouldn't it be wise to keep Sam around to see how he plays out too while committing to the high draft pick? This worked out pretty well for the Niners with Montana and Young, Packers with Favre and Rodgers, Eagles with Wentz, Foles and Hurts. It's actually how the Eagles like to build their QB room....."We want to be a QB factory", Howie Roseman. 

Yes, you're ending it there if you are taking a QB in the first round anyway? Taking a QB in the first round flat out says you don't believe that Sam is the guy (benching him 3 times in the season has shown that too but for some reason people are still holding out hope).

Also please tell me you are not comparing Brett Favre, Joe Montana and even Carson Wentz to....Sam Howell? 

Rodgers and Mahomes and all those guys were learning from Brett Favre and Alex Smith who had tons of success in the league, took their team to multiple championships and played at a high level for YEARSSSS. It is not even remotely the same as Howell who hasn't had one iota of the same success. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick

Let’s hope whoever we pick ends up being the right move. On a side note: I feel bad for the Panther fans. They are blaming Bryce’s struggles on the offensive line, the WRs and how he wasn’t put in a position to succeed when comparing him to Stroud - almost discrediting what Stroud has done. Come on man, let’s not forget the Texans only had 3 wins last year. Good teams don’t win 3 games. Stroud has made that team what it is today.

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Howell can not mentor anyone. 🥴 We should not want someone who got benched 3 times in a season for poor play mentoring anyone else. This conversation is becoming absolutely insane to me. You want him teaching the same bad mechanics and poor field vision that he has shown?

We also have no idea what Howell would net, so we should find out. I believe Gardner Minshew netted a 5th or 6th round pick. 

Howell costing less than a veteran doesn't mean anything since the veteran's experience would be 100 times more valuable than anything Sam could offer a rookie. 

Take a look at the list of FA QBs. Assuming we draft a QB at 2, why would they want to come here, and which one is worth 3-8 million when Howell costs next to nothing, has shown promise, has been in the NFL for two years, and has a personal relationship with Drake Maye.

Don’t want to hijack the thread, so I’ll stop responding.

Just now, seantaylor=god said:

Take a look at the list of FA QBs. Assuming we draft a QB at 2, why would they want to come here, and which one is worth 3-8 million when Howell costs next to nothing, has shown promise, has been in the NFL for two years, and has a personal relationship with Drake Maye.

Don’t want to hijack the thread, so I’ll stop responding.

If we need the money, I could see us keeping Howell as a backup despite how awkward it would be.

9 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

If we need the money, I could see us keeping Howell as a backup despite how awkward it would be.

We don't need the money. 

Also let me ask this, why do people think Will Levis's backup is Ryan Tannehill and not Malik Willis? Why do people think the Browns got Joe Flacco instead of going with DRT? Why is Bryce Young's backup Andy Dalton when it could have been Matt Corral? Why was Case Keenum brought in to be the backup to CJ Stroud instead of them going with Davis Mills? Do I need to keep going here?

It's because every NFL coach knows the best situation for a rookie QB is a veteran that has shown they know and understand the position/had some success to help mentor, answer questions, teach them the right way to prepare, condition, etc

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 1

Does anybody else watch Jaheim Bell and think he’s a San Francisco type player? Fast, but physical. Great YAC guy. Versatile. I could see Jaheim being a real weapon here with a real QB1 and a creative offensive coordinator.

When I started looking at QB's, Michael Penix Jr. was one I felt something was drawing me to him. Similar to Nix and McCarthy. My initial opinion of Penix was that he was a potential turnover machine. And although his stats accuracy wise are behind the others, I've reached an entirely different opinion on him. Perhaps that was just one especially bad game I watched of him and made a hasty decision.

It's time for me to come out and say for the record that I like Penix Jr. over Maye and by a good margin. The more I watch, the more I like. His arm is on par with Williams IMO. 

Michael Penix Jr. is now my QB #2. As long as the medicals check out, I'd take him #2 overall for the Commanders. 

• Thumb down 1

Just now, Chump Bailey said:

When I started looking at QB's, Michael Penix Jr. was one I felt something was drawing me to him. Similar to Nix and McCarthy. My initial opinion of Penix was that he was a potential turnover machine. And although his stats accuracy wise are behind the others, I've reached an entirely different opinion on him. Perhaps that was just one especially bad game I watched of him and made a hasty decision.

It's time for me to come out and say for the record that I like Penix Jr. over Maye and by a good margin. The more I watch, the more I like. His arm is on par with Williams IMO. 

Michael Penix Jr. is now my QB #2. As long as the medicals check out, I'd take him #2 overall for the Commanders. 

I’m with you. But I am waiting for Monday to say I’m ready to come out and say Penix is a top 3 guy for me. Monday is a big test for him. Michigan’s D is phenomenal.

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I’ve watched a lot of UW games. That is a fantastic offense with legit WRs and the best coach in college football.

Penix’s arm is not in Williams class. 

Not saying he’s a bad player, I like him and respect what he’s done but his upside is not high enough for me to draft him that high.  

I do think he will be a starting QB if he stays healthy, but I want all pro potential.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Brissett did not out play Howell or he would have played as a starter and when he got the chance he couldn't make it to the field.  But my opinion is who you draft will depend on if he stays because of different styles and not wanted 2 different QB's. for the new coach.

If they draft.

1. Williams trade Howell keep Brissett.

2. Daniels trade Howell keep Brissett.

3. Maye is a match of styles but how are 2 friends going to be able to able stay friends fighting for the same Job? Trade?

4. Take tier 2 QB keep Howell and play it out). Let Brissett walk for comp pick.

I think it depends on who they take.

26 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Daddy everything you are saying is true but a new GM, Coach, most likely will want to start out with their own QB pick instead of someone elses pick in this case RR.

9 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I’ve watched a lot of UW games. That is a fantastic offense with legit WRs and the best coach in college football.

Penix’s arm is not in Williams class. 

Not saying he’s a bad player, I like him and respect what he’s done but his upside is not high enough for me to draft him that high.  

I do think he will be a starting QB if he stays healthy, but I want all pro potential.

Conversely, Odunze and Polk could be looking as good as they are because of Penix. The best QBs elevate their casts, right?

All of them could be looking as good as they are because they fit the system, too.

Welcome to cluster**** city, residence: Draftniks trying to figure this **** out.

:ols:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1