Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 hours ago, philibusters said:

Payne's deal makes him hard to trade and thus he is not really on the block.  I believe we would be looking at a 22.4 million deadcap hit.  His cap hit next year is 21.6 million so we would actually lose cap space by trading him for a second (though that could be a good long term move if say you got a high second for him)  Its doable, but people excited about that 100 million of cap space would be disappointed to lose 22.4 million of it.  I think we have about 34 guys under contract before trades taht will very likely be on the roster next year which means we have to sign another 20 guys.   100 million divided by 20 million is 5 million per guy, but obviously some guys will be way more expensive than that and others will be much cheaper and with the draft picks it will all be already scheduled.

Just keep in mind Paynes current cap hit of 22mil is already taken into account, so a similar dead cap hit doesn’t really impact our potential 100mil in space.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Just keep in mind Paynes current cap hit of 22mil is already taken into account, so a similar dead cap hit doesn’t really impact our potential 100mil in space.

That true.  We would lose about a million of cap space for next year, but gain a second round pick.  In the future years we would have additional cap space.  If you trade Payne, you definitely are not maximizing next season, but it could be part of a rebuild where you accrue assets.

• Like 2

With so many potential ?'s about this QB class --- if we really are all-in on Caleb Williams but can't get to #2 to get him, I suppose there's still a chance that we could trade down. Whoever this FO is targeting, I would hope they'd go into the draft with at least 2 QBs they love and are willing to draft at #2. But if they don't, then I hope we don't force the pick and can trade back for a huge haul. 

I am really interested to see A) who our new FO is and B)what we can learn about their tendencies and C) how that projects into our off-season.

At #2 we are in such a great spot regardless. We either get one of our "guys" and build around him without having to give up massive draft capital OR we like someone who we think will be available later (Penix?) and choose to load up on draft picks for the future.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

12 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

With so many potential ?'s about this QB class --- if we really are all-in on Caleb Williams but can't get to #2 to get him, I suppose there's still a chance that we could trade down. Whoever this FO is targeting, I would hope they'd go into the draft with at least 2 QBs they love and are willing to draft at #2. But if they don't, then I hope we don't force the pick and can trade back for a huge haul. 

There are two super blue chip QBs that any team would feel good about drafting #1 overall in this class.  If we pick #2, then we're sitting pretty.  It's only after #2 that our decision at QB gets difficult.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Brian Thomas definitely could but hopefully he doesn’t. Love him in the 2nd 

Would you take WR with our early 2nd or OL (presumably a RT)?  I'm leaning towards RT personally.  They'd get snatched up by the Bears pick. 

10 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

There are two super blue chip QBs that any team would feel good about drafting #1 overall in this class.  If we pick #2, then we're sitting pretty.  It's only after #2 that our decision at QB gets difficult.

That's what I feel like will pan out. But our FO may come in and have enough questions on Maye to go Option B, which is make out in a killing of a trade-down and load up the team. 

It's not gonna happen. But just in case it does, at least Option B will be pretty nice for us too. 

13 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Would you take WR with our early 2nd or OL (presumably a RT)?  I'm leaning towards RT personally.  They'd get snatched up by the Bears pick. 

Since we got two picks in the 2nd, for sure I'd want one of them for the O line.  I am open to the 2nd one to be O line too but am also open for a WR. 

Again I am a BPA guy but I agree with DJ both O line and WR is stacked in this draft.

4 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

Legette can realistically fall to our 1st 2nd round pick 

who is a realistic best O-lineman that we could get with our other 2nd? 

Cooper Beebe. Though, I think he winds up going in the first. So, Nevermind :ols:

• Like 1

The QB debate up until the draft is going to be "interesting". I think Williams stays at the top of draft boards, but be interesting to see if Maye stays #2 or a Daniels/Nix move up.

I am just praying they get a quality GM because we have not had one in decades.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Presuming we clean house, for the most part, what would the expected return be on our two most likely trade candidates? 

Jonathan Allen seems most likely to be moved. He has expressed frustration in being part of a re-build. We could probably ship him to a contender ... a 1st is likely too much to expect back. But would a 2nd and a future 3rd make sense?

Terry McLaurin is a tossup. Do you keep him around for a full re-build knowing he'll be out of his prime by the time we are competitive? Is he more valuable to the team to keep around as a top target for a rookie QB? Do you want to re-set and bring in younger weapons to build around the QB? I think Terry would get the most compensation, likely a 1st, from a team like the Chiefs?

Allen is somewhat replaceable in-house given we are 3-deep at DT behind him. He could be replaced by a cheap veteran in FA, or with a 4th-6th round pick. 

Terry is not easily replaceable, but if you are targeting a WR in this draft you could double-down, using a late 1st from Terry to draft a WR, and hit the position again in R3 or R4. 

In a full rebuild I could see the new FO trying to create as much draft capital as possible. Since it is unlikely we will accomplish that by trading back in the 1st, trading veterans seems like the next clearest path. 

Trade Allen, he doesn't want to be here and him+Payne aren't dominant together. No since in keeping both unless they were dominant together.

If you draft your qb, you gotta keep Terry unless you are offered a 1st rounder this year and can draft his replacement. A 1st next year won't cut it.

If we nail the coach pick, and nail the qb pick, we could be potentially competing for a wildcard next year. Houston proved this possible.

Having Terry or a 1st round receiver would go a long way in helping our new qb.

Edited by mac8887
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skins199021 said:

Legette can realistically fall to our 1st 2nd round pick 

who is a realistic best O-lineman that we could get with our other 2nd? 

Jordan Morgan may make it there although there are questions he can be a RT due to the lack of length. I think the upside on guys like Suamataia and Paul pull them into the early 2nd

• Like 1

1 hour ago, method man said:

Jordan Morgan may make it there although there are questions he can be a RT due to the lack of length. I think the upside on guys like Suamataia and Paul pull them into the early 2nd

Could be some good IOL's there as well. Barton, Fautanu or Beebe could be there as well. That is why pick number 2 is so important. Its not just the first round that matters. You are going to get a first round talent at pick 34 as well.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Could be some good IOL's there as well. Barton, Fautanu or Beebe could be there as well. That is why pick number 2 is so important. Its not just the first round that matters. You are going to get a first round talent at pick 34 as well.

https://firstroundmock.com/2023/11/troy-fautanu-lacks-what-it-takes/

Harsh coming from an ex pro scout

Edited by method man

I don't necessarily want to just settle for whoever is still there at the beginning of the second round for OL.  I want us to get someone special, which for me means going back up into the first and getting Taliese Fuaga.

Every time I watch him, I come away feeling like he's the best OL in the class.  He's the Penei Sewell type OT of this year's class, only he's going to get pushed down lower than he should go because of the presence of Fashanu, Alt, and Latham.

I think Fuaga and Cosmi can form a dominant right side of the line.  I'd look for IOL later in the class and try and get the beast RT prospect to make that side of our offense a true strength.

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I don't necessarily want to just settle for whoever is still there at the beginning of the second round for OL.  I want us to get someone special, which for me means going back up into the first and getting Taliese Fuaga.

Every time I watch him, I come away feeling like he's the best OL in the class.  He's the Penei Sewell type OT of this year's class, only he's going to get pushed down lower than he should go because of the presence of Fashanu, Alt, and Latham.

I think Fuaga and Cosmi can form a dominant right side of the line.  I'd look for IOL later in the class and try and get the beast RT prospect to make that side of our offense a true strength.

I don’t think he makes it to us in the early 2nd.  I’m down with taking him though.  Right now, he my favorite for the RT spot

12 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I don’t think he makes it to us in the early 2nd.  I’m down with taking him though.  Right now, he my favorite for the RT spot

I would trade up for him.  I would package the seconds together to go up into the teens to get him.

8 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I would trade up for him.  I would package the seconds together to go up into the teens to get him.

I think trading the two twos for a 1 to get our OT makes a ton of sense. That fifth year option is a big factor and they will go quick.

• Like 1