Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

43 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

This is the only video I found. I remember seeing other slides that were even uglier than this one.

Bleh...

Yeah, he had a bunch of bad ones. I'm about a big an RG3 stan as they come but I had no argument for how bad his sliding was.

I gotta imagine, if you don't have the ability to smoothly slide, then your not gonna be too jazzed or motivated to incorporate it regularly. 

Griff risked injury every time he went down, let alone when he got hit.

But as @Rogue Jedi said stuff like sliding form and the mindset to get down is very teachable. I just wanna see us make it a priority w/ a guy like Daniels.

Howell is a good runner. His legs could have been a much bigger weapon, but he never showed the consistent ability to protect himself. As a result his running skill is not good enough that you can force him to use it as an asset. The tradeoff simply was not worth it. There is no doubt in my mind Howell could rip off chunk yards almost in a Daniel Jones kinda way, but it would have came at monumental cost. 

That is probably not the case for Daniels. He is a special runner. So no matter what, his legs will probably be utilized. There is almost no cost too great to not utilize his ability. Protecting himself will be vital.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mistertim said:

I assume the Bears would probably be dead set on Williams at #1, though if not I wonder how much it would cost to move up from 3 to 1.

Too much would be my guess. The nice thing about making it up to 3 is we dont have to expend any additional draft capitol to get one of the top 3 guys. And QB's are such a crap shoot anyways. I would just sit tight and pick whichever one is left. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Because of mobilty?  If so Maye has some wheels, too.  He's not Daniels level as a runner but he's a good runner.  

Daniels 40 should be interesting.  He strikes me fast but not sub 4.4 level fast.  He's a great runner though because of his combination of speed-elusivness-vision.

Yeah. I dont think he is sub 4.4 either. But his running is electric. Medium range passing though?

If we do draft Daniels it needs to be under the imperative that everyone in the organization is on board with it. That's how Jackson has done so well in Baltimore, there was no "GM wants him but coach doesn't" non sense.

If we commit to him and his development from day one and have the right coaches on board he could be a star.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Rogue Jedi said:

It's too late for me... I've already developed a man-crush on Jayden Daniels. After seeing what Lamar did last night, I want that on our team. Staying healthy is a must but it can be coached into them.

If we don't draft him or someone picks him ahead of us I will be major sad-boy and cry forever.

I still need to do more deep dives, but I'm pretty so-so on Daniels at this point. He's electric to watch, is an elite athlete, and makes big time splash plays. But he's also inconsistent in his mechanics and footwork, accuracy can be on and off, processing speed seems so-so and I've seen him stare down 1st reads a lot. He seems to mostly be a first read and then run guy.

That doesn't mean he can't improve on those things in the NFL, but it's still a bit worrying. Though there's no doubting his upside.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Matt Miller

His board is god awful.  Jared Verse would have been an early first round pick last year, this year he is a shoe in.  Chop Robinson is a cleaner first round grade than Latu too.  And there are going to be four or five first round corners when the underclassmen declare.

15 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

His board is god awful.  Jared Verse would have been an early first round pick last year, this year he is a shoe in.  Chop Robinson is a cleaner first round grade than Latu too.  And there are going to be four or five first round corners when the underclassmen declare.

In his mock he has Verse going 12, and 6 corners in the first round.  Latu going at 23, Robinson at 24.  I noticed some mock drafters including Kiper love Latu, Pff, too.  I haven't watched the edge rushers yet so I have no opinon on it.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

In his mock he has Verse going 12, and 6 corners in the first round.  Latu going at 23, Robinson at 24.  I noticed some mock drafters including Kiper love Latu, Pff, too.  I haven't watched the edge rushers yet so I have no opinon on it.

Latu is skilled and very instinctive, and he has the production of a solid first round pick.  But he's a stand up rusher without much bend or elite ball getoff (similar complaints for Tyree Wilson, who had better size and length and has been a major disappointment), and he also has a terrible injury history.  There is no way that Latu would be a solid first round pick in any draft class, as he might not even be a first round pick in this one.  But Verse would be, and Robinson probably would be too.

I roll my eyes at the worthlessness of analysis like "well there are only 15 first round prospects in this class."  Draft grading is always a relative, zero-sum endeavor.  What is meaningful and actionable is ranking players in the class against each other.

47 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I roll my eyes at the worthlessness of analysis like "well there are only 15 first round prospects in this class."  Draft grading is always a relative, zero-sum endeavor.  What is meaningful and actionable is ranking players in the class against each other.

The click bait dramatic stuff from the draftniks are annoying.  And they don't influence my thinking aside from before I watch players I am aware of what's said about them and that's all I got until I watch them.  But of course I also pay attention to what people here say about players before I watch them and then I make up my own mind. 

I find some of the draft podcasts though entertaining because they take deeper dives and sometimes bring attention to players not on my radar.  Especially the PFF draft guys.  I am not a big fan of PFF on a pro level but I find them more useful on the draft level because they provide so many stats that I couldn't get otherwise.

But heck ironically like 2 years ago am not that deep into watching prospects because I am mired in watching these Qbs.  I got to watch give or take 5 times as much for me to feel confident about a take on a QB than it takes me on another position. 

And if their draft position holds, it feels like for the next 4 months its much about digesting Maye and Daniels.  I'll give you that while you were optimstic about the season while I wasn't -- when the season started going south you thought that Maye might be in play, I didn't think it would get that level bad.  But we are in that place now.   

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Yeah. I dont think he is sub 4.4 either. But his running is electric. Medium range passing though?

lol, at this point, I've watched the 6 games I could find for Daniels about 3 times each and I still feel like i need to watch more.

To me Daniels is about are you willing to run an offense predicated on his mobility or not?

I don't see him as a passer who will occasionally run to keep defenses honest.  The running like Lamar has to be a major component to the offense with him.

As for 2nd level passing.  He seemed fine whenever he'd make throws on that front.  But unlike Drake Maye he minors in 2nd level, he doesn't major in them.   They don't throw on the 2nd level much.

But he's good at hitting receivers in stride for the most part.  I suspect if they featured more 2nd level throws in their offense, he'd be fine.

The thing that hits me about him is if you have a strong supporting cast, I think he will be good.  He doesn't seem comfortable (unlike for example Maye) to throw to receivers who aren't distinctly open.  With the exception of the deep ball where he will make throws that require contested catches when he goes deep.  And he puts nice air on the deep balls allowing Thomas, Lacy, Nabers to go get that ball.   He seems gun shy to make contested throws on the first-2nd level.  If the receiver isn't distinctly open he will take off. 

In general he throws a very catchable ball with nice touch on his throws. 

His accuracy is far from perfect but its above average IMO.  But I wonder about him making tight window throws on the first-2nd levels.

I think he's suited to a WCO-RO-RPO hybrid offense.  He can hit receivers quick in the flat.   If you give him some good weapons coupled with his own mobility I think he could be very good.  I don't think he'd carry a team without the weapons.  And I'd give him a deep target or two.

If we take him, I'd love to add someone in the 2nd like Legette or his teammate Brain Thomas if they fall to the 2nd or Troy Franklin.  I'd want a tall guy who is a deep threat to maximize his skill set.  Tee Higgins would be perfect but I am guessing Cincy tags him, or maybe Mike Evans?  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

If we do draft Daniels it needs to be under the imperative that everyone in the organization is on board with it. That's how Jackson has done so well in Baltimore, there was no "GM wants him but coach doesn't" non sense.

If we commit to him and his development from day one and have the right coaches on board he could be a star.

Stated perfectly!

I have to say, it’s a little surprising to me that the draft folks don’t hear the (unspoken) subtext in their discussions about Daniels.

”He’s the most improved player in the country (in his 5th year as a full-time starter). He looks like a man against boys on some of his scrambles (because he’s 3-4 years older than many of the defenders he’s playing against). His processing speed and pocket presence have really improved this year (when he had 10 seconds to throw). He was great at dropping in deep balls to his receivers (who were both stars and the best group in the country).” 

Maybe Jayden works out — he had an awesome season, and I was very intrigued with him during his freshman year. But there are a lot of pretty familiar red flags there. And I have a hard time seeing him compared to Lamar Jackson, who was a 20-year-old true junior in his last college season, basically singlehandedly dragging a pretty moribund roster to relevance. Lamar had won an NFL MVP by the time he was Jayden Daniels’s age.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I’m randomly going to the USC, Louisville bowl game tomorrow.

Any prospects playing in that game I should watch for? I’m assuming Caleb isn’t going to play.

Yes, if they do indeed play that is...

Louisville:

DE Ashton Gillotte #9

RB Jawhar Jordan #25

WR Jamari Thrash #1

USC:

RB Marshawn Lloyd #0 = would be a wise Commanders pick

WR Brenden Rice #2 = ditto above

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dark Acre said:

It's a shame that Howell's done here because I'd love to draft Harrison Jr.  Oh well.

If the Qb go one and two we probably get Harrison Jr. He would be most talented player we had in a long time. He is the type of player we need to make a Qb like Howell successful.

Edited by Redskins 2021

2 hours ago, Dark Acre said:

It's a shame that Howell's done here because I'd love to draft Harrison Jr.  Oh well.

The question should be....do we want to enter next year with Sam Howell and Jacoby? 

We have not won with Sam and to his credit he's like the 5th youngest QB in the league, but he's being outplayed by Jacoby.  Sam could end up being the next Kirk Cousins, but I don't think we should keep screwing around waiting for him to develop.  We have WR's.....you draft Jayden Daniels and go with the guy who has elite traits.

By no means am I a Howell worshiper,  and if the new regime wants to move in a different direction then I will be on board and put my faith in their decision. Fingers crossed we hire a competent front office and coaching staff to make that choice.  

Like everyone else here, I have more questions than answers with Howell.  There were many times this season he really shined and we all thought he would be the answer at QB for the next decade.  Then the last few weeks happened and here we are debating on which QB to take in the 1st round. Part of me feels like if we fix the Oline and add some weapons (Harrison jr) and TE with a new offensive coordinator maybe that will be the answer.  I agree with the poster above that it really will suck to be drafting 3rd and skip on a talent as special as Harrison.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

first level -- advantage Daniels

2nd level -- advantage Maye

3rd level -- Slight edge to Daniels.  Daniels gets lauded more for it but Maye has the stronger arm and wasn't throwing to studs. 

In between the numbers -- Maye

Out routes -- Daniels.  But don't love either on that front 

Tight windows -- Maye

Arm strength -- Maye

Release -- tie

Mobility -- Daniels

Off platform -- Maye.  But both have work to do on that front

Mobility in the pocket -- Daniels

I can see the argument for either one.  Daniels insane mobility makes me lean in his direction but he's the harder guy of the two for me to project as a passer.  But I'd be happy with rolling the dice on either.

Sorry. What do you mean by 1st, 2nd and 3rd levels?

Bo Nix I am still digesting.  My first impression, a rich man's Colt McCoy?  His arm strength is lacking.  He seems to thrive on first level passes in the flat but he does that well -- hits receivers in stride.  Seems suited to a WCO -- quick game.   There is something about him that doesn't grab me but its early.  Just watched 2 games. 

Troy Franklin who I've mentioned before intrigues me at WR.  He was his go to guy. Had multiple big seasons.  He's good at getting open especially against zone.  Not bad with contested catches.  He's tallish 6 '3.  But lanky 187 pounds or so.  Supposedly runs a 4.35 and looks it on some plays.  Even though he's thin, he looked decent as a run blocker.  I don't love him being that level lanky though it flashes back to Paul Richardson for me.  But if he falls to the third round, I'd be intrigued.

Bucky Irving, also a dude I mention every now and then always pops when I watch him.  But I am wary of Oregon RBs.  Their scheme seems to be very RB friendly -- he has big holes to exploit, I guess driven by their spread offense.   But to his credit, he seems to have good vision and takes advantage of those gaps.  He has good hands, too.  Good contact balance.    Feisty player who doesn't give up on a play.

He's clearly an explosive college player with some sick numbers.  Intriguing back for third downs in the NFL -- but with his style of play, I'd want to see how fast he runs before jumping on the bandwagon.    I am not obsessed with speed for backs but for a dude like Irving I care about it because he's not a power-gap back. He's sub 200 pounds.  In the pros, I'd want some home run ability for a third down back, especially for this team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's my guy at RB.  I pushed him a month or so ago but he gets little love on this thread. 

Yeah, I mentioned Lloyd and Kansas's Devin Neal a while back as potential replacements for Gibson and was met with Gibson is more explosive than both so why bother :)

I can’t believe we are in a position to potentially pick either Maye or Daniels at 2. That’s incredibly exciting. 

I think many of us really hoped until very recently that Howell was the guy and had dreams of adding draft capital or taking an OT. But I am much more excited about the prospect of adding a QB at 3 and then just loading on OL, WR, TE through the rest of the draft. Plus a couple additions in FA. That excites me more than adding an OT at 3 and hoping Sam can turn it around.

• Like 1