Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

26 minutes ago, Panninho said:

But if this franchise is systematically rotten and the new ownership is not better than the old one, why would timing matter? They can either build a quality roster or they can't. We weren't ever able to build a real quality roster here regardless of the QB under Snyder. We have had basically no All-Pros over the last 20 years, no playoff wins, etc. (and other teams have won playoff games with trash QBs also). If you generally believe someone can build a good roster here, then I don't see that as a logical argument against drafting a QB. To me, that's an argument for getting a QB when you have to chance to get one, because that is by far the hardest part when it comes to building a quality roster. These opportunities don't present themselves often. And with the cap space and draft capital we have (especially with a rookie QB salary) you can build a contender in less than the 5 years you have on that contract. The Texans were thought to be absolute trash before the season and now they have 5 years of Stroud and I don't think it is wild to assume that they can build a contender around him in 2 years max if he keeps trending that way. They did not build the team first, the Bengals also didn't.

The only valid arguments against drafting a QB for me are 1) We don't like the QBs in this draft and love other prospects 2) We love Sam Howell or at least like him better than the players available. But the rest to me is just hard to logically understand when there is almost no evidence to support any of these narratives as they are all basically built on "Washington has sucked under Dan Snyder".

Timing matters due to contract. And I’m not agreeing that the franchise is systemically rotten. Just the premise on the QB timing may not being correct.

Both of Harris teams did a tank and rebuild process. 76ers got Embid and Simmons number 1 overall and the Devils got Jack Hughes recently. I know those are completely different sports but I’ll be interested to see how this offseason goes. We should probably use the Bears motto of this year and sign young talented free agents of the future and try to start turning the corner at the end of next season. 

I am all for a trade back and get as many assets the following year as possible. Use your money to fill most your needs.

11 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

Both of Harris teams did a tank and rebuild process. 76ers got Embid and Simmons number 1 overall and the Devils got Jack Hughes recently. I know those are completely different sports but I’ll be interested to see how this offseason goes. We should probably use the Bears motto of this year and sign young talented free agents of the future and try to start turning the corner at the end of next season. 

I am all for a trade back and get as many assets the following year as possible. Use your money to fill most your needs.

Actually ironically i am going to see the 76ers play in Florida soon.

I am no NBA guru, casual fan at best.  

But you can also interpret his efforts with the NBA as to the process which is he really really wanted a top elite player.  If you don't have one in the NBA you have almost no shot.  So they did whatever it took to get that guy.  It's not a rebuild in the NFL sense.  As you know you got 5 starters.  15-17 man rosters.

There isn't really an equivalent to that in the NFL aside from QB.  If you find an elite QB, you will be good in short time. 

So if and granted its an if the new GM tells Harris -- Howell isn't the guy but wow this Qb we can draft I think will be elite -- if you play with the "process" there is no way he's skip on that QB.  

In the NBA it isn't easy to find that elite player.  In the NFL it isn't easy to find that elite QB.

So it doesn't seem to fit to me that if the new Gm thinks one of these QB is really good that the GM or Harris would think lets pass on that and build the rest of the roster up first. 

Grab the hard thing first.   Don't leave the hard thing for later where you hope organically it just happens for you.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

We'll see. Unfortunately, I can't be sold on words. I need to see it.

I have a positive outlook. I think they're going to get it right and we can re-build this thing expansion team style.

But I don't know. And no amount of words are going to get me to change my view.

Show me.

:)

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Actually ironically i am going to see the 76ers play in Florida soon.

I am no NBA guru, casual fan at best.  

But you can also interpret his efforts with the NBA as to the process which is he really really wanted a top elite player.  If you don't have one in the NBA you have almost no shot.  So they did whatever it took to get that guy.  It's not a rebuild in the NFL sense.  As you know you got 5 starters.  15-17 man rosters.

There isn't really an equivalent to that in the NFL aside from QB.  If you find an elite QB, you will be good in short time. 

So if and granted its an if the new GM tells Harris -- Howell isn't the guy but wow this Qb we can draft I think will be elite -- if you play with the "process" there is no way he's skip on that QB.  

In the NBA it isn't easy to find that elite player.  In the NFL it isn't easy to find that elite QB.

So it doesn't seem to fit to me that if the new Gm thinks one of these QB is really good that the GM or Harris would think lets pass on that and build the rest of the roster up first. 

Grab the hard thing first.   Don't leave the hard thing for later where you hope organically it just happens for you.  

I agree with the quarterback sentiment. I like all 3 but don’t love any yet. Need to dive in more in offseason. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Timing matters due to contract. And I’m not agreeing that the franchise is systemically rotten. Just the premise on the QB timing may not being correct.

You get 5 years on a rookie deal. Bengals went to the Superbowl shortly after they drafted Burrow, the Texans now have 4 seasons to build around Stroud. They sucked before they got these QBs. They were in a position to draft them, took them and then have/had a window to build the contender around their QB. We have close to 100m in cap space and 5 picks inside the top 100 this season. Why would you not be able to leverage that contract with these resources in the next years? Why would this not be the right timing for us? It's also easier to attract free agents when you have a QB that can win you games.

To me timing matters primarily when it comes to the opportunity to get a QB. That timing doesn't come around often. So if you pass on that chance, you better have a plan to make up for it. Passing on Herbert for Young has been one of the biggest misses for this franchise in recent years. Because if you miss that chance but try to build a quality roster regardless, you will probably be stuck in mediocrity for years to come. Question is, are these QBs in the draft worth it to take a shot? Is there a potential Herbert in this draft? That is a decision for someone else to make, I don't know enough about that. But if you believe one of these guys has that potential, then to me it would be borderline insane to wait because you would like to first build other parts of the roster and might never be able to circle back.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Panninho said:

You get 5 years on a rookie deal. Bengals went to the Superbowl shortly after they drafted Burrow, the Texans now have 4 seasons to build around Stroud. They sucked before they got these QBs. They were in a position to draft them, took them and then have/had a window to build the contender around their QB. We have close to 100m in cap space and 5 picks inside the top 100 this season. Why would you not be able to leverage that contract with these resources in the next years? Why would this not be the right timing for us? It's also easier to attract free agents when you have a QB that can win you games.

To me timing matters primarily when it comes to the opportunity to get a QB. That timing doesn't come around often. So if you pass on that chance, you better have a plan to make up for it. Passing on Herbert for Young has been one of the biggest misses for this franchise in recent years. Because if you miss that chance but try to build a quality roster regardless, you will probably be stuck in mediocrity for years to come. Question is, are these QBs in the draft worth it to take a shot? Is there a potential Herbert in this draft? That is a decision for someone else to make, I don't know enough about that. But if you believe one of these guys has that potential, then to me it would be borderline insane to wait because you would like to first build other parts of the roster and might never be able to circle back.

Again, I’m not saying what the right call is. I don’t know. But I understand the stance.

4 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Youre 100% correct.

We botched our window in 2020.

We cant make that same mistake again 

I want a unified vision. GM/HC/QB all on the same timeline and growing together. A cohesive plan for the first time in forever. You don’t punt on QB especially when you’re at rock bottom. Get him in, let him take his lumps, and build around him bc he has (potentially) five years to figure it out.

All I want as a fan is a coherent plan for the first time in forever 

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I want a unified vision. GM/HC/QB all on the same timeline and growing together. A cohesive plan for the first time in forever. You don’t punt on QB especially when you’re at rock bottom. Get him in, let him take his lumps, and build around him bc he has (potentially) five years to figure it out.

All I want as a fan is a coherent plan for the first time in forever 

Sure.

We don't know if we'll have a chance to get a QB in or not, yet.

So we're all talking out of our asses :)

5 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I think you just don’t want to pick another QB. Not sure why but that’s your opinion. All good. We shall see

Nope.

I don't know what I want to do. If we're top 3 it should be an absolute consideration. It's a point I've been making the last few days ad nauseum. 

Are we picking in a place to get Maye? I don't want Williams but he should be gone.

Is Daniels there? Are we picking top 3? Top 4? Top 5?

We have no idea where we're picking at this point. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

How does Daniels compare to Stroud? 

Based on my evaluation of Stroud before the season started they were comparable prospects, though I like Daniels a little more than I liked Stroud at draft time this past draft, though as the poster above noted they are very different QB's.  Stroud strength in the draft assessment was his easy accuracy at all three levels.  Daniels by contrast is a heck of an athlete who has developed into a good passer over the past 5 season in college (he first became a starting QB in 2019).

All that said, I way underestimated Stroud.  My impression of Stroud was that he was really good at throwing the ball, but his ability to go through his reads or make plays outside of structure were meh.  I basically saw Stroud as Jared Goff.  If you put him an offense where his first read will usually be open  he'll be great because he throws a beautiful accurate ball and can throw with anticipation (leading the receiver open).   By contrast if you put him in a bad situation, I thought his pocket presence was average (not bad but not good), that his ability to get through his reads was average, and his ability to make plays outside the structure of the offense was average.   I was wrong on my take on Stroud, but I still saw Stroud as a starting QB in the NFL just not a high end one. 

But he is a fundamentally different play style than Stroud.  As others have noted, Deshaun Watson or even Lamar Jackson would be better comparisons in terms of playstyle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Panninho said:

I honestly do not really get any of these points here. Yes, player development is obviously a very crucial part of having a franchise QB but it's not like the Bengals were an NFL powerhouse before drafting Burrow, the Dolphins were horrible before Tua, the Texans sucked before they brought in Watson, the Jaguars were horrible before they brought in Lawrence (who you say is one of the superstars of the league now), the Bills didn't have a great QB before they brought in Allen. So how are these franchises systematically different from ours pre-QB? I think the biggest problem is that we had horrible front office people and horrible coaches because no one self-respecting person wanted to work for Snyder. RG3 looked great under Shannahan, Cousins looked good under McVay before they left. We had some decent seasons when we had decent coaches.

Why would our trajectory when it comes to the position still be the same now that we actually are trending upwards and very likely do not have to take a coach that didn't get a shot elsewhere to stear this franchise. We'll get a complete revamp of the front office and coaching staff and we will have an ownership group that 100% does not meddle in the draft and day-to-day business the way Snyder did it. Why can we not be the 2020 Bengals after drafting a QB talent? They also sucked and then came Burrow and they did not start with a complete overhaul on every level including ownership. They brought in a new coach and drafted a QB and it worked for them. And if everything is so bad and hopeless here that we have absolutely no shot at developing any QB talent post Snyder, why would anyone feel good about drafting any other position? What would be the way for us to build a competitive team? Why would people feel good about developing other talent? Yeah, the odds are stacked against you when it comes to drafting QBs but that is true for everyone who drafts a QB.

I agree that it's going to take longer than one offseason to clear this franchise of all the Snyder mess but I cannot understand how people are this (!) negative about the team now that we have finally solved the biggest problem this franchise has had. I also wanted Bezos over Harris to be honest but I do not understand how anyone can have an educated opinion on this ownership group in any way at this point in time. What have they done so far that would sway your opinion in any way? For me, I think it is positive that they did not fire Rivera and make any snapshot decisions but take this time to analyze and then start fresh this offseason. Let's assume we lose out, the Patriots and Cardinals win another game and we draft Maye or Williams with e.g. Ben Johnson as HC and a respectable GM who invests in free agency to bolster the roster in the right spots? I simply cannot bring myself to a point where I would not be hyped about this franchise going forward (even if it's more likely that it will not succeed).

Flip Side, Burrow has not won anything and his backup is playing as good with those 3 WR's. Tua was nothing till they added T.Hill and the RB's. Watson should be locked up. I am one who also shares Lawrence is not the real deal, have you watched him overthrow wide open WR's all season? Young? Stroud has been the best out of the gate. Herbert is injured and not led them to the Promised land. Murry,Fields and Wilson, are busts so far.  Allen,Hurts,Jackson,Mahomes look like second fiddle to Purdy and the team they built around him. Picked last! Where would they be without the teams build around them, except maybe Mahomes could make a crap team look better.? They all have very good coaches around them too, their staff do great jobs with who they acquire. It's great to have Snyder and his staff gone. It is going to be up to the new staff and the new owners to pick the right players and coaches. They have a lot of options and should do what is best for the team not just a new QB as the only way. It can be built many ways. Just like we do not have to stick with Howell if there is a better way and it work's. 

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep, exactly.

What team was considered arguably as the next most dysfunctional organization aside from us?  Cincy.  They add Burrow and draft well around them and their fortunes change.

Bills as you mentioned stuck for years going nowhere, they add Allen, bam.

Being in Florida I follow the Dolphins, my closest friend who follows football is a Dolphins fan and we joke about how that team's fortunes have mirroed ours to a tee.  Pre Tua-McDaniels, etc they had an era with 2 playoff appeaaces in 20 years.

Then whole this is a bad organization and not to expect major change with a new owner, new GM, new HC is silly to me on a scale 10 out of 10.  

If I told my friend we will never be the Dolphins for example we will never ben the Dolphins, he'd laugh hysterically considering for like 20 years we joked that we root for the same teams basically as to their records and how they operate. 

They added Chase top 3 WR to go along with 2 other WR's and top RB. looks like back up QB has not missed a beat either and has them back in the Playoff chase. Tua was busting till T.Hill and the 3 RB's arrived also good coach. 

13 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Based on my evaluation of Stroud before the season started they were comparable prospects, though I like Daniels a little more than I liked Stroud at draft time this past draft, though as the poster above noted they are very different QB's.  Stroud strength in the draft assessment was his easy accuracy at all three levels.  Daniels by contrast is a heck of an athlete who has developed into a good passer over the past 5 season in college (he first became a starting QB in 2019).

All that said, I way underestimated Stroud.  My impression of Stroud was that he was really good at throwing the ball, but his ability to go through his reads or make plays outside of structure were meh.  I basically saw Stroud as Jared Goff.  If you put him an offense where his first read will usually be open  he'll be great because he throws a beautiful accurate ball and can throw with anticipation (leading the receiver open).   By contrast if you put him in a bad situation, I thought his pocket presence was average (not bad but not good), that his ability to get through his reads was average, and his ability to make plays outside the structure of the offense was average.   I was wrong on my take on Stroud, but I still saw Stroud as a starting QB in the NFL just not a high end one. 

But he is a fundamentally different play style than Stroud.  As others have noted, Deshaun Watson or even Lamar Jackson would be better comparisons in terms of playstyle.

If Daniels is somewhat of a comp to Desean Watson/Lamar Jackson then we have to take him and see how good he can be. This franchise needs a star caliber QB and if Daniels can be that guy then take him....assuming he's the best QB there at our pick. 

45 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

If Daniels is somewhat of a comp to Desean Watson/Lamar Jackson then we have to take him and see how good he can be. This franchise needs a star caliber QB and if Daniels can be that guy then take him....assuming he's the best QB there at our pick. 

Watson plays nothing like Lamar Jackson or Daniels.

7 hours ago, KDawg said:

Not to answer for him, but we don't know if we're trending upwards yet. It's a logical assumption we will... but we don't know that.

Also, it's about timing as much as it is about talent. If we get the QB now, are we going to waste years on his contract getting the pieces around him vs. Getting the pieces (I'm not talking about an immaculate roster... just a baseline NFL roster) and see incremental improvements and then go get the QB? 

Of course, there are challenges to doing it that way... one of which is improving enough to move your draft position out of the top 5-10 picks and hoping someone solid falls without you reaching. 

A lot of us are more wait and see than negative. I know that's my approach. 

And I don't agree that we'd "ruin" a new QB developmentally, necessarily, especially considering we don't know who will call the shots.

So for me... it's wait and see. 

Especially when you consider this entire F.O. and staff will be gonezo in a month and our ownership changed several months ago. It will take years to right this ship, but honestly, if there was ever a time to have hope its now. The Post Gibbs misery of '93-'99 and the Snyderpocalypse of '99-'23 are over. There is actually hope. We will suck next year too, hopefully horribly, so we can have good draft capital for the '25 class, but we can build something with the right hires, and we no longer have poison to the very roots of the organization like we had the previous 24 years. There's hope. It will take time and patience. Watch other sports, although admittedly, Wizards are 4-5 years away, Nats are at least 2-3 years away and the Caps are still stubbornly avoiding a rebuild, so there's not much to watch in DC these days other than rebuilds everywhere. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Especially when you consider this entire F.O. and staff will be gonezo in a month and our ownership changed several months ago. It will take years to right this ship, but honestly, if there was ever a time to have hope its now. The Post Gibbs misery of '93-'99 and the Snyderpocalypse of '99-'23 are over. There is actually hope. We will suck next year too, hopefully horribly, so we can have good draft capital for the '25 class, but we can build something with the right hires, and we no longer have poison to the very roots of the organization like we had the previous 24 years. There's hope. It will take time and patience. Watch other sports, although admittedly, Wizards are 4-5 years away, Nats are at least 2-3 years away and the Caps are still stubbornly avoiding a rebuild, so there's not much to watch in DC these days other than rebuilds everywhere. 

Agree. The irony is that a lot of people that are saying we have to go QB (despite not knowing where we pick), are the same that say we need to trust the new GM.

What if they believe the best path forward is NOT going QB? Will they still support?

I don’t know that there is a wrong move, either way. The roster is in shambles.  It will take time. 

But I think there is reason to be optimistic. Just not in a way where we should throw caution to the wind.

2 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

They added Chase top 3 WR to go along with 2 other WR's and top RB. looks like back up QB has not missed a beat either and has them back in the Playoff chase. Tua was busting till T.Hill and the 3 RB's arrived also good coach. 

You can walk and chew gum at the same time.  

Its not like if we take a QB the rest of the off season is closed.  It’s a QB or weapons and we can’t do both things. That’s the beauty of likely having all those picks and cap room. 

Elite QBs can change a team. That’s not debatable. The idea that Browning is off to a hot start in a small sample doesn’t change that.

Backup QBs looking good in short stints isn’t a new thing.  It’s tantalizing to buy into it especially when these guys hit FA. See Scott Mitchell, Flynn and a score of others but it typically doesn’t hold.

Purdy clearly isn’t the typical 7th round QB. Outliers exist at every position in the draft but you don’t want to bet on outliers

28 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

If we can teach him to throw the ball with anticipation this team will be "gold, Jerry, gold".  Bringing in Kenny Bania. 

Yep. If only a franchise LT meant a change of fortune for a franchise. We’d be gold. Chris Samuel and Trent had what like a 20 year combined run?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK for me when he went:  "This franchise is contemptible and utterly incompetent and uncompetitive.  We're third rate in every sense.  I don't enjoy seeing promising young careers come here to die, and I don't think we deserve to get the opportunity to ruin any more young quarterbacks."

That feels like the past-future is the same. For me to buy that premise I'd also have to believe that either Dan really wasn't that bad or already judge Harris to be equally a big time douche and same level stupid.  

That feels a bit crazy to me.  There is nothing in Josh's background that indicates that he's anything like Dan.  Most indicators are the opposite.  Plenty that what he is ALREADY doing indicates the opposite.  Or if the idea is this is a Washington issue, not a Dan Snyder issue it forgets a lot of history both about Dan and what this organization was before Dan. 

As you know Dan wasnt just a bad owner.  He was epic historic level bad.  There will be a Netflix series on the dude I bet one day.  He is beyond infamous and he's earned that reputation.  There are plenty who have observed sports who believe he might be the worst owner in the history of sports.

Talking purely though football.  I agree it won't be easy to build around the QB right away. But I go no doubt they will try.   Ron oddly didn' t even try -- which is wild to me and stunning and why I turned on him this off season.    If I had to guess why, I think its he already had a baked in idea to sell Harris that he's the guy to move forward with this team because look at that defense he built and just be patient with Howell as he learns the position.  But it blew up on him because the defense sucked and it ended up a lose lose drill for him.  But i also don't think he's good at his job.

But the idea of promising young careers come here to die, we don't deserve the opportunity to ruin any more QBs -- in my mind doesn't acknowledge how epically bad Dan was.  Not bad.  Epically bad.  It's not a Washington Redskins-Football team-Commanders problem where its in the organization's DNA.  It's a Dan Snyder era issue because of Dan Snyder and all of his hires who have had the Dan stench all over them sadly.

The idea that Dan's FO and coaching staff bombed their last off season and season leading into this change -- if anything brings home the point.

This literally just dropped Sunday night:

Owned with Rex Chapman: Dan Snyder, The Washington Commanders (with Lewis Black and Dave McKenna) on Apple Podcasts

It's a good retrospective on some of the ---- he did, that even journo's forgot about over the years as the misdeeds and pure evil piled up. I can still recall walking to the bart station in Fruitvale (yes, that one, I used to take it to work in the late nineties and early aughts), listening to sportsradio talk about how Snyder was already showing signs of being an epic d---- in week 1, the famous firing of long serving secretaries. And then of course it got infinitely worse over the next 24 years. 

We'll see how things go from here, but honestly: 

#1 Everything will be new in '24, everything.

#2 We didn't actually ruin any great QB's other than sorta RGIII, and Sam Howell this season.

Heath Shuler was always gonna suck.

Patrick Ramsey was always gonna suck.

Jason Campbell was always replacement level.

RGIII was injured by coach malfeasance in '12-'13, but was he going to be great? We don't really know because once he healed, he never did a damn thing, afterwards. 

Cousins actually hit.

Haskins was never going to be good.

Howell was a 5th round dart throw with upside that we harmed this year but also gave playing time too.

Since Gibbs I ended there are basically 2 guys that have a claim on being harmed by us, but in neither case have they proven they would've been great otherwise and again...

#1 Everyone responsible for the defenestration of Howell is out the door in 3 weeks, and everyone involved in the RGIII debacle has been out for years other than Snyder who left months ago.

So, to me, let it go. We'll see what the new guys can do. Hopefully it's not that old Who song and it just might not be, and if it is, we fire them. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

As much as the allure of drafting a top 5 QB is interesting, I don't think it's what will pay off most of the team longterm. A multiyear rebuild after a painful multiyear deconstruction of the roster is what will pay off the most. We're going to get worse before we get better.

image.png.0d8bf9ede6481c8aebf7607236db56c3.png