Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

4 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Man, we are right on the edge of top 5 draft position.  If we can get that and a full house cleaning with the coaching staff, then the EB/Howell strategy will have been a master stroke.

If only we could somehow get a top 3 pick. I think 4th might be our ceiling though. I think top 3 is a lock to be some combo of Bears(since they have the Panthers pick), Patriots, and Cardinals. Although the Bears and Cards are playing much better now and might steal some wins.

But top 3 guarantees us either one of the top two QBs or Harrison jr. THAT would be a coup.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Silvernon said:

I really don't like the idea of drafting a right tackle in the top 8 picks. For me, it's quarterback, left tackle, pass rusher and x factors. 

The x factors this year appear to be:

Harrison

Bowers

Kool-Aid

Lions drafted Penei Sewell to play RT in 2021 with a high pick(top 10 somewhere). You think they regret that? Or the Bucs drafting Tristan Wirfs in 2020 to play RT. Eagles drafted Lane Johnson at RT super high. Dude is a HOF-er.

If you get a dominant RT, you ain't gonna cry. Teams move pass rushers all over now, you gotta have stalwarts at both sides.

Edited by Warhead36
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If only we could somehow get a top 3 pick. I think 4th might be our ceiling though. I think top 3 is a lock to be some combo of Bears(since they have the Panthers pick), Patriots, and Cardinals. Although the Bears and Cards are playing much better now and might steal some wins.

But top 3 guarantees us either one of the top two QBs or Harrison jr. THAT would be a coup.

I'd rather 4 and hope Harrison drops. 

Even if Howell isn't the guy, I think you build through this draft and circle back in 2 years if needed when there is the next window to blow it up. 

Just now, Silvernon said:

I'd rather 4 and hope Harrison drops. 

Even if Howell isn't the guy, I think you build through this draft and circle back in 2 years if needed when there is the next window to blow it up. 

I can't see Harrison dropping past 3. If the Pats don't go QB they'll snatch him up in a heartbeat with how awful their WRs are.

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Lions drafted Penei Sewell to play RT in 2021 with a high pick(top 10 somewhere). You think they regret that? Or the Bucs drafting Tristan Wirfs in 2020 to play RT. Eagles drafted Lane Johnson at RT super high. Dude is a HOF-er.

If you get a dominant RT, you ain't gonna cry. Teams move pass rushers all over now, you gotta have stalwarts at both sides.

I keep looking at Wirfs who I loved on draft day and think Fuaga is just about there!

18 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He’s OT3 for me right now, I’m just going off the big boards for more of a general conversation . 

And I haven’t really started watching in depth yet, I could see him being OT5.

He is a solid player who is probably going to be decent at worst in the NFL but he’s just not explosive. Fashanu and Fuaga are my favorites right now.

I've only watched Fashanu and Alt so far.  I like but don't love Fashanu.  His tools are outstanding, great length, explosiveness looks really good.  Balance seems pretty good too, seems to be able to bench rushers and sit down on them pretty well.  Reach blocks look pretty good.  But he makes a lot of mistakes and doesn't feel as clean as the top OT prospects from some recent classes.  I can see the top ten potential with him though.

TBH I haven't liked what I've seen from Alt at all.  On the positive side, he's a good run blocker.  He runs and pulls well, though I think he gets a little deep on pulls because of how much space he takes up with a big and wide stride.  He's accurate and has good straight line speed.  But the explosiveness is lacking, and I think the power, length, flexibility, and balance are really lacking.  His anchor isn't good IMO, and he gives up a ton of depth to power rushes because he just can't sit down on rushers.  He leans on them for dear life.  He's got such a wide base that all of that depth really squeezes the pocket for his QB.  Some of the reps in the Louisville game are really troubling to me.  A top ten OT just shouldn't be getting big boyed and ending up on the ground multiple times by #95 and #15.  They aren't that good or dominant, and it speaks to power/balance issues.

Alt has clear NFL comparisons, but they are guys like Blake Freeland and Mike McGlinchey.  He'll probably be a first round pick, but it'll be in the 20s.  His arm length measurement and 40 are going to be key for his stock.  He needs to run sub 5 seconds to make the case he's another Kolton Miller in order to go high, because I'm betting that arm length measurement is going to be short.

7 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I keep looking at Wirfs who I loved on draft day and think Fuaga is just about there!

And now Wirfs has moved to LT and is a stud playing there. Gave up his first sack of the season to Chase yday only after hurting his ankle in the game and continuing to play through it

10 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I've only watched Fashanu and Alt so far.  I like but don't love Fashanu.  His tools are outstanding, great length, explosiveness looks really good.  Balance seems pretty good too, seems to be able to bench rushers and sit down on them pretty well.  Reach blocks look pretty good.  But he makes a lot of mistakes and doesn't feel as clean as the top OT prospects from some recent classes.  I can see the top ten potential with him though.

TBH I haven't liked what I've seen from Alt at all.  On the positive side, he's a good run blocker.  He runs and pulls well, though I think he gets a little deep on pulls because of how much space he takes up with a big and wide stride.  He's accurate and has good straight line speed.  But the explosiveness is lacking, and I think the power, length, flexibility, and balance are really lacking.  His anchor isn't good IMO, and he gives up a ton of depth to power rushes because he just can't sit down on rushers.  He leans on them for dear life.  He's got such a wide base that all of that depth really squeezes the pocket for his QB.  Some of the reps in the Louisville game are really troubling to me.  A top ten OT just shouldn't be getting big boyed and ending up on the ground multiple times by #95 and #15.  They aren't that good or dominant, and it speaks to power/balance issues.

Alt has clear NFL comparisons, but they are guys like Blake Freeland and Mike McGlinchey.  He'll probably be a first round pick, but it'll be in the 20s.  His arm length measurement and 40 are going to be key for his stock.  He needs to run sub 5 seconds to make the case he's another Kolton Miller in order to go high, because I'm betting that arm length measurement is going to be short.

I haven’t really studied Fashanu yet but I remember folks posting initial takes from scouts on him a month or two ago and they felt the same way. Saw Russell Okung as a comp - a guy who may make a few Pro Bowls but is not going to be elite

5 minutes ago, method man said:

And now Wirfs has moved to LT and is a stud playing there. Gave up his first sack of the season to Chase yday only after hurting his ankle in the game and continuing to play through it

Yes! And even if Fuaga is never moved to LT, he can still be the starting RT for the next decade and head to pro bowls just like Wirfs began

That would allow Cosmi to stay inside where he has thrived

Edited by DWinzit

29 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

10 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

I vehemently disagree about drafting MH in the top 10. History shows you can find WR's later and rarely do "elite" WR's win super bowls.

You can find every position later.

WR is a prime position in today's NFL. Third most important on offense and fourth most overall(QB/LT/Edge). The best offenses all have multiple weapons at WR with the exception of the Chiefs(because of Mahomes, but they also have the GOAT TE)and maybe the Ravens(although OBJ is starting to get back to form and Flowers looks real good).

Harrison is a stone cold stud. Dude looks like Larry Fitzgerald. Just a guaranteed star.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, djpapeleta360 said:

What you guys think of Jayden Daniel's if Howell doesn't work out. This guy is scary to defend against and would love to see him in. Shanahan pistol system his first year.

He’s going to be a better Lamar Jackson. He can throw the ball better and is the best running QB I’ve seen since Vick probably. Putting up video game numbers this year for us. Nabers and Thomas are also the next Jefferson and Chase (maybe not quite as good but still elite).

Look, if we end up with the 4th pick, I am either taking an LT or trading out. I assume Williams-Maye-Harrison go 1-2-3 in pretty much any scenario. If Daniels or Nix or whoever else ends up being the 3rd QB ends up being coveted, that would be great for us and I would want to move back and load up on 2025 picks. We are going to be in full rebuild but potentially with a QB in the fold.

That being said, a lot will probably depend on how Sam finishes the year. If you're at #4, and you have access to a franchise-caliber QB, it'll be a hard sell to a new FO to not get "their guy"

25 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

WR is a prime position in today's NFL. Third most important on offense and fourth most overall(QB/LT/Edge). The best offenses all have multiple weapons at WR with the exception of the Chiefs(because of Mahomes, but they also have the GOAT TE)and maybe the Ravens(although OBJ is starting to get back to form and Flowers looks real good).

Harrison is a stone cold stud. Dude looks like Larry Fitzgerald. Just a guaranteed star.

My lord I loved Fitz, might be my favorite non Skin of all time. I remember working in Pittsburgh when he was drafted and knew he wouldn't make it to us and obviously the cosmos had other plans with that draft, but man I just loved watching him play. 

only way we shouldn't draft a LT with our top pick is if we decide to go away from Howell and draft a QB.  I am in Sam Howell's camp so I am hoping for a LT with our first pick.  Then with one of our second rounders, we need to go OL again.. maybe try to find our RT as well.  I would be happy if we trade up in the late 1st to grab a RT as well.

If we do draft a QB... i guess you would want to trade away Howell for something like a 2nd rounder this year or a future 1st in the future from a QB needy team.

Again I am happy with Sam Howell and I think most of his issues are with the OL and perhaps maybe pressing when it is clear that we are going to lose the game unless he makes a play.  

I have no idea what we should do at our draft slot. We don’t know where we will be drafting and we don’t have any idea who will be ahead of us/behind us.

Here is what I know: there are at least a few tackles worthy of a top 10 selection.

There is blue chip talent at WR, TE.

There is good talent at QB and Edge. 

There is potential blue chip at CB. 

If we screw around and win a few games and wind up in the teens then even more position groups/players open up as possibilities. LB for one with Trotter, Jr. among others.

Long way to go to start counting our chickens.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

You guys are really gassing Marvin Harrison JR up in in here. He may never have to stop for fuel again.

What is he, Megatron 2.0 or something?

At this point I'd be disappointment if he didn't have to duck coming outta the tunnel so he doesn't hit his head on the sky.

He's probably the best WR prospect since Megatron.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lavar1156 said:

I vehemently disagree about drafting MH in the top 10. History shows you can find WR's later and rarely do "elite" WR's win super bowls.

Looking back at the last 5 draft classes there have been 5 WR's drafted in teh top 10 and they are all worth the pick in my opinion.

They are 

1.  Garrett Wilson

2.  Drake London

3.  Jamarr Chase

4.  Jaylen Waddle

5.  Devonta Smith

It is true, you can find good WR's outside the top 10, but that is true for every position in football.  I consider the WR a premium position in terms of value so if you like the prospect a lot, go for it.

48 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Looking back at the last 5 draft classes there have been 5 WR's drafted in teh top 10 and they are all worth the pick in my opinion.

They are 

1.  Garrett Wilson

2.  Drake London

3.  Jamarr Chase

4.  Jaylen Waddle

5.  Devonta Smith

It is true, you can find good WR's outside the top 10, but that is true for every position in football.  I consider the WR a premium position in terms of value so if you like the prospect a lot, go for it.

London wasn't worth picking that high, but in a better offense he might be more productive. The rest are all studs.

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I would argue a truly elite WR is worth more than a truly elite tackle. The pay reflects that

7 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I somewhat agree.   There is no blindside for a QB when a QB plays out of shotgun.  Pass rushers can move from side to side.  I think there is still a distinction between LT and RT, but I don't think its as important as say the distinctiion between an outside and slot receiver.