Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

As much as I like Caleb Williams, I hope we trade back the first get more talented rookies and build. We have a very good opportunity to do what the eagles done and that’s have tons of cap space and also require a lot of draft picks . 

Just feel we will see some dc interested in Williams rumors come feb-March.

Edited by Commander202
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listened to Eudge Shen's seminar on sports anayltics.  Nothing earth shattering from a draft perspective.  But a little interesting.

A.  Big believer in trading down in the draft.

B. Love TEs especially dual threat types who can catch and block.  lol, as I do so I like that part.  The value of a TE who can pass and block and in turn not telegraph to defenses what the team will do he finds invaluable. 

C.  He's different than some anayltics types on RBs.  He agrees about he doesn't like spending much on them in FA, since they peak early and fade.  But he's a fan of drafting RBs -- get them young at their best.  He's OK with drafting a RB high if they have elite ability.

TE and RB on day 2 it is then 

47 minutes ago, Commander202 said:

As much as I like Caleb Williams, I hope we trade back the first get more talented rookies and build. We have a very good opportunity to do what the eagles done and that’s have tons of cap space and also require a lot of draft picks . 

Maybe, but if a QB needy team gets that first pick, its unlikely to be on the table for a trade.

On 11/2/2023 at 9:01 AM, philibusters said:

\

I don't want to invest super heavy in the O-Line.  I want a solid unit with no weaknesses and a couple above average plaeyrs.   Considers that analysts say O-Line is a weak link unit.  For example having 5 solid guys (like Charles Leno or Samuel Cosmi level) is better than having 1 superstar, 1 star, 1 solid guy, 1 low level starter, and 1 weak link.  By contrast D-Line is a strong link unit.  Where you are better off have 1 superstar, 1 slightly above average player, 1 average player, and 1 low level starter compared to 3 solid guys and 1 average guy.

I've listened to PFF guys talk about it.  It's not that they don't value O line like other spots.  But their take is the same as what they feel about the secondary which is they'd rather have good across the board versus great and suck in the mix.  Because the player that sucks is exploited. 

It's not an either or drill. It might feel that way with Ron at the helm.  But you can build that unit without a dude that sucks.   If you recall when Gibbs was here the 2nd time around, he couldn't even stand temporarily having a single weak link on the O line, so he traded for that guard from the Jets.

I've talked on an off about the demise of the Giants and who that correlated to the O line.  Sounds like ditto the Patriots.

How about some team talking about our O line for a change.  The Eagles and Cowboys have been the more steady winners in this division in the last decade plus.  Both teams typically have good O lines.  Yes, QBs, too.  but I don't think its a wild coincidence that they QBs -- both non first round picks have been good (Dak granted more up and down) while having good protection.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/11/03/bill-belichick-patriots-future/

To observers of the Patriots, the 2020 retirement of offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia was a crucial loss. For years, Belichick could count on Scarnecchia to mold young linemen into foundational players. “The best to ever do it,” Harrison said. The Patriots inducted him into their Hall of Fame this year, an honor they haven’t bestowed on even Bill Parcells, a head coach who took them to the Super Bowl. Pro Football Focus grades the Patriots’ line this year 29th in pass blocking and 22nd in run blocking.

Based on the NFL’s salary structure, the Patriots should be in position to stock talent around Jones. Brady took discounts to ease New England’s cap crunch, but he still made more than 10 percent of the payroll. The Patriots’ talent drain has occurred when they should have ample resources: They devote $6.6 million of their salary cap to quarterbacks, third-least in the NFL.

New England’s roster issues also stem from barren drafts. Cornerback Christian Gonzalez, chosen 17th in April and currently on injured reserve, appears to be a potential star. But mostly, the Patriots have either missed crucial picks or failed to keep the ones who hit. The last player they drafted in the first three rounds and then signed to a second contract was safety Duron Harmon, a third-round pick in 2013.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

It would be great if we could get a couple of stud OL prospects within our initial 4 picks. Not sure it looks like a strong FA class at this stage.

Heck, I want tackle & guard picks for the first 2 out of the gate, although I’d settle for 2 out of the three highest picks. If things keep tracking in the current direction, Howell will either finish the year in traction or become the most valuable asset the team has. Perhaps both! Regardless, the line needs a huge infusion of talent. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FuriousD said:

Heck, I want tackle & guard picks for the first 2 out of the gate, although I’d settle for 2 out of the three highest picks. If things keep tracking in the current direction, Howell will either finish the year in traction or become the most valuable asset the team has. Perhaps both! Regardless, the line needs a huge infusion of talent. 

Yep, I'd be ecstatic with two of the first three picks being offensive lineman. It's been neglected far too dag on long.

6 minutes ago, FuriousD said:

Well yeah, that would do 😂

Couple of picks towards the top of the second round is also the ideal range where your projected first rounders slip to. Might be OL but we may well get some ‘non-OL’ studs fall right to us, and they may be too good to leave on the table.

The good teams invest consistently into the OL. Doesn't necessarily have to be high picks every year, but you gotta consistently infuse that position with young talent. Its a high injury rate position and having even one weak link can devastate your offense.

I do miss those early 2000s lines with Samuels/Jansen/Thomas/Dockery/Rabach. You had a stud in Samuels and  the rest were rock solid at the least. Man could that line blow people up.

Even the mid teens lines with Williams, Scherff, and Moses were pretty darn good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

An elite RB talent would be a huge upgrade to our offense. Our backs are...okay, but none of them are real home run threats or bellcows.

An elite RB with a weak OL is just an OK RB.  Even if the OL was a strength, I'm not sure that an elite RB is worth the high-level pick as opposed to other options that might be available.  A speedy scatback though would give the OC more options.

• Thumb up 1

George Pickens was getting a lot of love recently nationally… today, after his 2 reception, -1 yard performance he got mad at the Steelers and removed all mentions and photos of the Steelers from his IG. Character concerns are why he fell in the first place.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

George Pickens was getting a lot of love recently nationally… today, after his 2 reception, -1 yard performance he got mad at the Steelers and removed all mentions and photos of the Steelers from his IG. Character concerns are why he fell in the first place.

How many times do we see this - players drafted with character issues and those issues creep back onto the scene. 

And how many times are the prima dona WR's? 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

He’s talented in contested catch situations, but he doesn’t separate. Not surprised as soon as Deontae came back healthy he gets a ton of targets and Pickens has a down week…Pickens did have a shot at a TD and was done in by poor footwork. Was surprised he couldn’t get his second foot down. Not saying he doesn’t have a valuable skillset but I haven’t bought into the idea that he’s a WR1, even setting aside the character concerns. 

16 hours ago, Commander202 said:

I guarantee you will hear such rumors because the new front office will work the press to their advantage 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Conn said:

He’s talented in contested catch situations, but he doesn’t separate. Not surprised as soon as Deontae came back healthy he gets a ton of targets and Pickens has a down week…Pickens did have a shot at a TD and was done in by poor footwork. Was surprised he couldn’t get his second foot down. Not saying he doesn’t have a valuable skillset but I haven’t bought into the idea that he’s a WR1, even setting aside the character concerns. 

He's crazy talented.  Reminds me of Odell in some of the circus type catches he makes look easy.  I would never trust him, but I would also be afraid to bet against him.  A lot of brilliant WRs are huge head cases and have to be baby sat while they are productive.  Something about the position attracts personalities like that.  Some coaches are really adept at managing them, but even ones like Andy Reid and Mike Tomlin must have gotten tired of doing it after a while.  I have a feeling Pickens will be a journeyman mercenary during his career.

17 hours ago, PlayAction said:

An elite RB with a weak OL is just an OK RB.  Even if the OL was a strength, I'm not sure that an elite RB is worth the high-level pick as opposed to other options that might be available.  A speedy scatback though would give the OC more options.

None of the RBs are great, and it should be improved. 

Portis was wasted behind those awful Wash lines at the end, but he was still a difference maker with that garbage interior OL. Literally carried them. Passing game worked because of play-action fakes to give Santana and Cooley time to get open.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Silvernon said:

Portis was wasted behind those awful Wash lines at the end, but he was still a difference maker with that garbage interior OL. Literally carried them. Passing game worked because of play-action fakes to give Santana and Cooley time to get open.

Portis thrived in an old-fashioned offense. The new Commanders' analytics guy believes that passing wins games and running finishes them and the current OC is definitely from the Andy Reid school of offense.  A bell cow RB would be a waste of resources. While EB may not be with the team next year, I expect that a GM with a pass-priority mindset would be opposed to a bell cow if there were other options for team needs and desired offense.  RB room can be improved simply by adding a new skill set to the current group - it's not a bell cow guy but the team would still benefit from the added dimension of speed.     

Concerning the OT and all 3. I'm reminded by the okung/trent williams debacle where trent was this super athlete who had a down year with the potential to be better than okung and okung was the "better, safer pick" who would immediately be a great lt.

We picked right when it came to trent and we have a pretty good history drafting linemen, tackles. Give me the guy who has the ability to be tje best lt in the game with a little flaw over the clean prospect who will be good at lt.

The good thing about the oline is that you can find players up and down the draft for most of the spots. 1 obvious outlier and one weird situation. LT is almost universally a 1st round pick. Not much more needing said that. The other is Center. The analytics say that if you want an elite Center you have draft a 1st rounder but the issue is if hes not at the elite level you massively "overpaid" for that spot. 

So to me I wouldnt spend a lot of capital on an oline. I also think they will be ok overspending on a FA Guard just because it feels like we might be struggling to get to the cap floor. 

Powerful dude, watching that game.  Thought I want a J. Gibbs, Achane type.

On 11/3/2023 at 11:56 AM, Est.1974 said:

It would be great if we could get a couple of stud OL prospects within our initial 4 picks. Not sure it looks like a strong FA class at this stage.

FA is typically weak for tackle.  But good enough for interior.

Edge has been sneaky good in recent years in FA. 

• Like 1