Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

BIG fan of Jeremiah Trotter Jr.!

BUT ... a lot stars have to line up for him to be drafted on this team.

Such as QB and OT positions resolved prior to the draft AND a regime willing to draft  him.  If San isn't the guy and the OT's are manhandled, Oline in FA and QB in the draft (Trey Lance/RG3 level) trade may be a viable course.  Small chance to draft Trotter.

OR - Harris is good for the long run - no pushing chips to the middle.  Trotter comes up as BPA on their draft spot.

Will be very interesting by the time the 2024 draft comes up. Exciting choices.

Excited Cat GIF

:229:The Rook

Great to see next year looking strong at OL. Only I enjoy when a draft offers quality Re ‘in-the-trenches’ prospects and given we may be just good enough to get around 8 wins the top QB prospects will likely be out of range (if Howell isn’t seen as the future, of course), unless it’s an aggressive move up, which I’d be all for if the circumstances called upon it. If, however, Howell establishes himself as a quality starter then the timing couldn’t be better if value meets BPA regards a tackle prospect. 

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-way-too-early-2024-nfl-mock-draft-caleb-williams-and-marvin-harrison-jr-land-in-arizona-colts-grab-joe-alt

I can't be the only one reading about next year's draft without thinking we are literally living out a Key & Peele episode. I mean, there's a kid named "Chop" and even worse, a kid named "Kool-Aid". 😂😂 

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

2024 NFL mock draft: Matt Miller's preseason Round 1 predictions

1. Arizona Cardinals

Caleb Williams, QB, USC

If the Cardinals do end up at No. 1 -- which ESPN's FPI predicts -- that means things didn't go well for them this season. This is the worst roster in the NFL on paper, and the team is breaking in a new general manager and coach. There would of course be conversations about trading the pick for a massive bounty, given Kyler Murray is already in Arizona. But I could also see the Cards drafting Williams and trading Murray, especially if the 2019 top pick struggles in his return from a torn ACL in his right knee. It might be difficult with Murray's big contract, but if Arizona bottoms out this season, the new regime could opt to make a change.

Williams has already been called a generational prospect and the next Patrick Mahomes by some scouts. He finished fifth in the country in Total QBR last season (87.6), and no one threw more touchdown passes than his 42. Williams' dual-threat ability, creativity in and out of the pocket and 6-foot-1, 215-pound frame make him a natural fit with the rebuilding Cardinals -- as long as he actually does leave school early to declare for the draft.

ari.png&h=110&w=110

2. Arizona Cardinals (via HOU)

Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State

Thanks to the draft day trade with the Texans, the Cardinals could have a pair of early first-round picks next April -- and in this case, the first two on the board. It would allow the Cardinals to execute a massive offensive rebuild by following up the Caleb Williams pick with the best wide receiver prospect since Calvin Johnson (2007).

Harrison is 6-4, shows savvy and smooth route running, and is excellent at tracking and attacking the ball. He'd be the Cardinals' No. 1 receiver from the second he puts on a jersey, and the trio of Williams, Harrison and 2023 first-round tackle Paris Johnson Jr. would give Arizona solid young players at the three most important offensive positions. Harrison hauled in 77 balls for 1,263 yards and 14 TDs last season.

tb.png&h=110&w=110

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina

If the Buccaneers are selecting in the top five next April, neither Baker Mayfield nor Kyle Trask did enough to cement the QB1 job long term. Given the low investment made in both of them, it stands to reason Tampa Bay would move on if given the chance to draft a premier prospect. Maye is built like Justin Herbert at 6-4 and 230 pounds and has high-end downfield passing ability and pocket mobility. He broke out in his first season as a starter for the Tar Heels in 2022, throwing 38 touchdown passes to seven interceptions.

pla

ind.png&h=110&w=110

4. Indianapolis Colts

Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama

With a young franchise quarterback already on roster (Anthony Richardson), the Colts would have tough decisions to make in the top five. This could be a trade back spot for a team trying to come up for the class' QB3, or the Colts could look to upgrade at left tackle if Bernhard Raimann doesn't develop in Year 2. But don't count out improving the pass rush. The Colts have thrown money and draft picks at pass-rushers but to date don't have a marquee player on the edge of the defense.

Turner has the first-step quickness and power to change that. The 6-4, 242-pound junior had four sacks in 2022 and is poised for a breakout. In fact, an area scout says Turner might be even better than former teammate Will Anderson Jr. as a draft prospect: "Turner has better length, he's taller, and he'll fill out his frame better."

lar.png&h=110&w=110

5. Los Angeles Rams

Olumuyiwa Fashanu, OT, Penn State

Andrew Whitworth retiring is among the chief reasons the Rams struggled last season, but a top-five selection would provide a chance to address the left side of the offensive line. An evaluator from an AFC team with over 10 years of NFL experience told me this is the deepest tackle group he can remember, and Fashanu is graded as OT1 right now, showing great mobility and quickness. A first-year starter in 2022, Fashanu allowed zero sacks and just two pressures.

Yes, the Rams could try to position for one of the top quarterbacks, but fixing the left tackle spot with Matthew Stafford and Cooper Kupp still having solid years ahead of them makes the most sense for a long-term team build.

ten.png&h=110&w=110

6. Tennessee Titans

Jared Verse, EDGE, Florida State

The Titans have two young quarterbacks on the roster behind Ryan Tannehill in Will Levis and Malik Willis, so it's unlikely the front office would draft another, even with a top-10 pick. Instead, they could address the defensive line. Verse would likely have been a top-15 draft pick had he entered the 2023 draft; he returns for his senior season as one of the top defenders in the nation. His nine sacks and 31 pressures last season put him on the map, and at 6-4 and 260 pounds, he has the ideal build to play in coach Mike Vrabel's scheme.

gb.png&h=110&w=110

7. Green Bay Packers

Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame

We can assume based on the Packers' drafting history that this pick won't be a wide receiver, and we still don't know what they have in Jordan Love at quarterback. Regardless, this roster is in need of some level of rebuild, notably along the offensive line. Left tackle David Bakhtiari turns 32 this season and has just two years left on his contract. Alt could slide in perfectly given his experience in a pro-style offense at Notre Dame. He surrendered just one sack and five pressures last season, and at 6-8, 320 pounds, the 20-year-old could bring power to the Green Bay offense.

wsh.png&h=110&w=110

8. Washington Commanders

Quinn Ewers, QB, Texas

The Commanders named second-year quarterback Sam Howell as their starter, but they also have a new owner and uncertainty surrounding the future of the front office and coaching staff. Howell showed promise in his one start in 2022 and could play his way into the job long-term. But Ewers, one of the highest-rated prep recruits of the past decade, has fantastic all-around ability at 6-2 and 200 pounds.

He missed a month of his 2022 season with a shoulder injury and has been uneven at times (15 touchdown passes to six interceptions last season), but he flashed command, accuracy and second-effort ability outside the pocket. Will he now take the next step under Steve Sarkisian and elevate the Texas program back to greatness before potentially being an answer under center for Washington?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/38233399/2024-nfl-mock-draft-preseason-round-1-predictions-32-picks

As long as we get a better HC this offseason and a top flight FO that can truly rival those in our division, I'm good with whatever decisions they make.  I would have absolutely no problem with them picking a new QB regardless of how Sam Howell plays this year (unless he looks like Burrow or Mahomes, of course.)  That's absolutely no knock on Sam whatsoever.  But we haven't drafted a franchise QB in about 90 years.  (Gotta be the all-time worst record in any sport.)  If they want to double-up on our QB situation next year, which ends with two great prospects (Sam and the new guy) in the fold, I'm all for it.  Let them battle it out.  

I'm personally just looking forward to finally having a FO that is truly upper echelon, and one that I believe can build this team into a legit perennial SB contender and hire the right HC to get us there.  As much as I like and respect the individuals that make up our current FO, there's 0.0% of me that believes they are capable of getting that done.  I hate saying that but I gotta be honest.

I don't see it with Quinn Ewers at all.  He wasn't even a good player last year, he's already transferred once, and now he's got Arch Manning breathing down his neck, AKA the kid Texas boosters paid 4 trillion dollars to sign.  Ewers is closer to losing his starting job than he is to the first round.

I looked at that mock last night and thought to myself... this first round crop sucks after the top six or seven guys.  Having two big time QB prospects has covered up the observation the rest of the class ain't ****.  Georgia and Clemson are reloading, and Alabama isn't loaded like they used to be.  What we're left with is a ton of Ohio State kids that aren't as good as their recent peers, and a bunch of Penn State, Miami, and Texas kids who haven't done anything.  JT Tuimoloau as the DL2 and a top ten pick?  What I remember most about about him is making Peter Skoronski look like a stud.  Egbuka as WR2 highlights the weakness of the WR class too IMO.

If we picked 8th and the first seven picks went like that, I would just take Brock Bowers and be done with it.  This is going to be a very flawed class and I'm concerned that they're going to be small, slow, and/or unproductive.

39 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I don't see it with Quinn Ewers at all.  He wasn't even a good player last year, he's already transferred once, and now he's got Arch Manning breathing down his neck, AKA the kid Texas boosters paid 4 trillion dollars to sign.  Ewers is closer to losing his starting job than he is to the first round.

I looked at that mock last night and thought to myself... this first round crop sucks after the top six or seven guys.  Having two big time QB prospects has covered up the observation the rest of the class ain't ****.  Georgia and Clemson are reloading, and Alabama isn't loaded like they used to be.  What we're left with is a ton of Ohio State kids that aren't as good as their recent peers, and a bunch of Penn State, Miami, and Texas kids who haven't done anything.  JT Tuimoloau as the DL2 and a top ten pick?  What I remember most about about him is making Peter Skoronski look like a stud.  Egbuka as WR2 highlights the weakness of the WR class too IMO.

If we picked 8th and the first seven picks went like that, I would just take Brock Bowers and be done with it.  This is going to be a very flawed class and I'm concerned that they're going to be small, slow, and/or unproductive.

Interesting.  If we are in the top 10 (and Howell doesn't show the goods), I figure QB has to be the pick.  That mock doesn't seem like consensus though.  Dane Brugler has his top 50 out (See https://theathletic.com/4785245/2023/08/24/nfl-draft-2024-prospect-rankings-board/)

For comparisons sake:

Brugler has Mims #5 overall (Miller has him going late 1st).

Considering our positional needs, Brugler has the top OTs as:

Fashanu (#4 overall)

Mims (#5 overall)

Latham (#10 overall)

Alt (#16 overall)

Paul (#22 overall)

Guyton (#31)

Suamatia (#37)

Morgan (#38)

He has for Guards:

Zinter (#41)

Beebe (#42)

Jackson (#49)

For QBs, he has:

Williams (#1)

Maye (#3)

Mccarthy (#19)

Ewers (#20)

Leonard (#28)

I like Brugler because he does a ton of research and his guide is always helpful.  Draft does look preliminary deep at Tackle (not sure about quality though).

Edited by mhd24
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I agree that it does not look great right now but who knows how it shakes out as the season unfolds.

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

If Howell is good this year, using a high draft pick on Ewers is strategically ****.

We need OL and LB help. We may need EDGE help. It’s a waste.

if Howell ****s the bed? Yeah. Take Maye. Or Williams.

If Howell works, yeah of course no need for QB.  And I like our chances on that front.

As for O line.  Don't you think Daniels covers LT and another year with Wylie in the system, we should be fine?  😎

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If Howell works, yeah of course no need for QB.  And I like our chances on that front.

As for O line.  Don't you think Daniels covers LT and another year with Wylie in the system, we should be fine?  😎

I'm never giving up on young OL.  Morgan Moses looked like crap his rookie year when forced to go in, and he became entrenched that 2nd year at RT (and that was despite us drafting Scherff with the intention to play RT).

32 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I'm never giving up on young OL.  Morgan Moses looked like crap his rookie year when forced to go in, and he became entrenched that 2nd year at RT (and that was despite us drafting Scherff with the intention to play RT).

Morgan Moses was more of a pedigreed tackle at the time than Daniels is now.  I recall that draft well.

I didn't say i am giving up on Daniels.  I was making a joke to @KDawg that plays off of the idea that some have of don't panic about the O line and carrying that into 2024.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

I agree that it does not look great right now but who knows how it shakes out as the season unfolds.

Yeah it's ultra early, and I'm pretty confident most of the guys on Matt Miller's mock are not the ones we will be talking about in the first round by the time bowl season happens.  It'll be a bunch of unknowns who blew up.

All I know is that I don't really like most of the guys on his mock in the draft ranges he has them going.