Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Between the Kool name, corner, Alabama, and can return kicks -- can see him easily being one of the most hyped players in the draft season

He IS from Alabama.;)

His name-sake was more of a power runner.

Excited Oh Yeah GIF

:229:The Rook

Edited by The Rook
  • Like 3

49ers scheduled to get 5 comp picks, and Philly win yet again....

TEAMS PROJECTED TO RECEIVE 4 PICKS

Projected compensatory picks: One in Round 3; two in Round 5; one in Round 6. 

Key free-agent losses: Andre Dillard (Titans), C.J. Gardner-Johnson (Lions), Javon Hargrave (49ers), Miles Sanders(Panthers), Isaac Seumalo (Steelers).

Key free-agent additions: None.

Comp-pick analysis: The Eagles played the compensatory pick game perfectly. They knew they would have a large number of players depart in free agency, and they didn’t add any projected qualifying free agents to the team. Philadelphia should receive the maximum number of picks, including a third-rounder for Hargrave.

• Sad 1

We could be in the same boat next year, with Kendall Fuller (still young and average starting CB should get some $) Chase Young, Montez Sweat, and the other D ends.

Another reason to wait in FA, as I believe the later FA signings after the draft don’t count towards comp picks.

13 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

49ers scheduled to get 5 comp picks, and Philly win yet again....

TEAMS PROJECTED TO RECEIVE 4 PICKS

Projected compensatory picks: One in Round 3; two in Round 5; one in Round 6. 

Key free-agent losses: Andre Dillard (Titans), C.J. Gardner-Johnson (Lions), Javon Hargrave (49ers), Miles Sanders(Panthers), Isaac Seumalo (Steelers).

Key free-agent additions: None.

Comp-pick analysis: The Eagles played the compensatory pick game perfectly. They knew they would have a large number of players depart in free agency, and they didn’t add any projected qualifying free agents to the team. Philadelphia should receive the maximum number of picks, including a third-rounder for Hargrave.

Didn't they trade a 5th for CJGJ? So they are basically getting the pick back two years later

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seantaylor=god said:

We could be in the same boat next year, with Kendall Fuller (still young and average starting CB should get some $) Chase Young, Montez Sweat, and the other D ends.

Another reason to wait in FA, as I believe the later FA signings after the draft don’t count towards comp picks.

Those would count towards 2025 comp picks.

On 4/30/2023 at 11:54 AM, method man said:

That is an ugly QB class after Maye and Williams. Shedeur has faced ****ty competition thus far, Penix os a walking injury, Ewers is not very good and Nix would have been like QB10 had he come out

There are holes in Ewers’ game but to say he’s not very good is just incorrect 

From Matt Millers email service,  Scouts on the QBs

• Caleb Williams, USC

— “He’s electric. Like if Kyler Murray were 6-1 and gave a crap about football.”

— “I am not sold on the Lincoln Riley scheme producing pro quarterbacks, but his traits are elite, elite. He’s QB1 until proven otherwise.”

— “Crazy arm talent. Very good mobility that he uses to extend plays and not just run around. I get the Mahomes comps.”

—”Go back, watch the (2021) Texas game where he comes in at halftime and leads that comeback for OU. Poised, confident, deadly.”

• Drake Maye, UNC

— “Big, strong-armed, athletic…if he were in a class without Williams he’d be Trevor Lawrence-level talked about. I think that’s the real comp for him.”

— “Gotta see him do it for another year, but last year’s tape was amazing. Especially given he was doing it with weapons that aren’t exactly NFL talent.”

— “Even if you discount the numbers for scheme and level of comp, he’s still tearing people up. And he did it as a freshman!”

—”I like him more, based on ‘22 tape, than Williams. Better arm. More likely to last in the NFL.”

• Quinn Ewers, Texas

— “Everything I hear is that he has balls of steel and he has obvious talents, but it’s nut cutting time. He’s so inconsistent.”

— “Overrated. If he were at Ole Miss, no one gives a **** about his 2022 tape.”

— “He has loads of potential and he’s still really young. I wouldn’t be surprised if he pops this year now that he has some competition and he’s in the scheme for Year 2.”

• Michael Penix, Washington

— “He’s older (23) and left-handed, two strikes against him. Has to prove last year wasn’t a one-year wonder.”

— “Probably should have come out because I don’t know if he can duplicate what he did last year.”

— “Sleeper! What he does as a runner and thrower is really underrated. Dude can ball.”

• J.J. McCarthy, Michigan

— “I want to like him, but he’s so small (196 lbs on a 6-3 frame) and he just doesn’t make plays with his arm.”

• Spencer Rattler, South Carolina

— “I am not sold on the person, but the Tennessee game last year gets him drafted.”

• Jordan Travis, Florida State

— “If someone is going to ‘come out of nowhere’ this year, it’s Travis. FSU is loaded.”

• Tyler Van Dyke, Miami

— “That scheme last year killed him and Miami had no talent around him. This is a big year for him. He has a Round 1 arm.”

• Bo Nix, Oregon

— “Was last year real? He looked like a potential NFL starter at Oregon after being a scrub at Auburn. I’m rooting for him.”

— “Oregon has some dudes around him on the O-Line and it’s changed his game. He’s gone from ****y to confident. I’m excited to see where he goes this year as a player.”

• Cam Ward, Washington State

— “My first impression was backup level. Reminded me of Malik Willis with his decision-making. Just kind of runs around and makes plays.”

— “Man, I loved his 2021 tape but he wasn’t the same dude last year. I haven’t dug into why that was, but know he was different in his sophomore year.”

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

From Matt Millers email service,  Scouts on the QBs

• Caleb Williams, USC

— “He’s electric. Like if Kyler Murray were 6-1 and gave a crap about football.”

— “I am not sold on the Lincoln Riley scheme producing pro quarterbacks, but his traits are elite, elite. He’s QB1 until proven otherwise.”

— “Crazy arm talent. Very good mobility that he uses to extend plays and not just run around. I get the Mahomes comps.”

—”Go back, watch the (2021) Texas game where he comes in at halftime and leads that comeback for OU. Poised, confident, deadly.”

• Drake Maye, UNC

— “Big, strong-armed, athletic…if he were in a class without Williams he’d be Trevor Lawrence-level talked about. I think that’s the real comp for him.”

— “Gotta see him do it for another year, but last year’s tape was amazing. Especially given he was doing it with weapons that aren’t exactly NFL talent.”

— “Even if you discount the numbers for scheme and level of comp, he’s still tearing people up. And he did it as a freshman!”

—”I like him more, based on ‘22 tape, than Williams. Better arm. More likely to last in the NFL.”

• Quinn Ewers, Texas

— “Everything I hear is that he has balls of steel and he has obvious talents, but it’s nut cutting time. He’s so inconsistent.”

— “He has loads of potential and he’s still really young. I wouldn’t be surprised if he pops this year now that he has some competition and he’s in the scheme for Year 2.”

• Michael Penix, Washington

— “He’s older (23) and left-handed, two strikes against him. Has to prove last year wasn’t a one-year wonder.”

— “Probably should have come out because I don’t know if he can duplicate what he did last year.”

— “Sleeper! What he does as a runner and thrower is really underrated. Dude can ball.”

• J.J. McCarthy, Michigan

— “I want to like him, but he’s so small (196 lbs on a 6-3 frame) and he just doesn’t make plays with his arm.”

• Spencer Rattler, South Carolina

— “I am not sold on the person, but the Tennessee game last year gets him drafted.”

• Jordan Travis, Florida State

— “If someone is going to ‘come out of nowhere’ this year, it’s Travis. FSU is loaded.”

• Tyler Van Dyke, Miami

— “That scheme last year killed him and Miami had no talent around him. This is a big year for him. He has a Round 1 arm.”

• Bo Nix, Oregon

— “Was last year real? He looked like a potential NFL starter at Oregon after being a scrub at Auburn. I’m rooting for him.”

— “Oregon has some dudes around him on the O-Line and it’s changed his game. He’s gone from ****y to confident. I’m excited to see where he goes this year as a player.”

• Cam Ward, Washington State

— “My first impression was backup level. Reminded me of Malik Willis with his decision-making. Just kind of runs around and makes plays.”

— “Man, I loved his 2021 tape but he wasn’t the same dude last year. I haven’t dug into why that was, but know he was different in his sophomore year.”

It seems to be all about Williams and Maye. Can't wait to see who steps up to that end of first and second round guys

I am rooting for Rattler not blow himself up but to have a respectable season

11 hours ago, DWinzit said:

It seems to be all about Williams and Maye. Can't wait to see who steps up to that end of first and second round guys

I am rooting for Rattler not blow himself up but to have a respectable season

Of the guys on that list outside of Williams/Maye, I like Penix the most. Issue is that guy is a walking injury

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, method man said:

Of the guys on that list outside of Williams/Maye, I like Penix the most. Issue is that guy is a walking injury

He had a good year at Indiana (2020) too.  He has a relatively big arm and decent wheels.  Decent accuracy.   At least when he was at Indiana I was not impressed by his processing ability.  I think if he is in a system without easier reads, he can be good.

37 minutes ago, philibusters said:

He had a good year at Indiana (2020) too.  He has a relatively big arm and decent wheels.  Decent accuracy.   At least when he was at Indiana I was not impressed by his processing ability.  I think if he is in a system without easier reads, he can be good.

Kalen DeBoer has been good for him. I think he should have come out this year. He would have had a great opportunity to be a mid to late 1st round pick

The 2023 draft was kind to the Terps with 5 players getting drafted after only having 2 players drafted in each of the previous two years.  2024 likely won't be as kind as I think it will be another year where maybe only two Terps get drafted, but they do have some decent players, and you never know who will have a breakthrough year.

My first of what will probably be a couple summary of the prospects from teh University of Maryland.  All of these guys are draft eligible, not all will have exhausted their eligibility after the 2023 season so may go back to Maryland for 2024

1.  Quarterback Taulia Tagovailoa: Undersized and below average arm by NFL standards (there are questions about his older brother Tua's throwing power and Tua has more throwing power than his younger brother).   In terms of arm and mobility he is maybe comparable to a backup like Colt McCoy.  He is accurate and very good in the quick game.  Processes reads okay, but not particularly quick at getting through his read.  Has decent anticipation but nothing special.

2.  Running Back Roman Hemby:  Had 989 yards on 188 carries.   He likely will return to Maryland for the 2024 season as he will just be a RS Sophomore this upcoming season, but if he has a big year, he could declare early.  He has a nice combo of power (contact balance) and homerun ability.  

3.  Tackle Gottlieb Ayedze:  I don't know a ton about him as he just transferred into Maryland this spring from DII Frostburg St. where he was a first team All American DII player.  The reports from spring camp was that he could be a decent Big 10 starter next  year. Heard he was a good athlete.

4.  Tackle DJ Glaze:  Was Honorable Mention All Big 10 as a RS Sophomore this year.  Took over a starting tackle spot midway through his RS Freshman season where he played really well.  Definitely could return to Maryland for 2024, but he could declare early if he has a really good year.  I thought he was the best O-Lineman on the Terps this year and two of his fellow O-Lineman ended up getting drafted (Jaelyn Duncan in the 6th round and Spencer Anderson in the 7th round).

5.  WR Kaden Prather: A WVU transfer who had 676 receiving yards for WVU last year, he is a big body receiver 6'3 210 who got solid reviews during spring camp.

6.  Cornerback Tarheeb Still:  Will be a four year starter (if you consider the third corner a starter).  He was the third corner for Maryland last year (Deonte Banks went in the first round and Jakorian Bennet in teh fourth round), but played 700 snaps (about half of them in the slot).  Had a mildly disappointing season, but only mildly--with a 65 PFF grade (after having a 72 PFF grade in the previous year).  With Banks and Bennett gone he'll likely be the top corner unless Sheppard (see below steps).

7.  Cornberback Ja'Quan Sheppard:  A transfer from the University of Cincinnati where he was a First Team All AAC player largely on the basis of the 5 interceptions he had.   Despite being First Team All AAC, PFF didn't like him only giving him a 57.4 coverage grade.  His stats are okay, was targeted 64 times and gave up 36 catches (57%) and had an impressive 5 interceptions.  That said the interceptions may have masked average overall play. 

8. Strong Safety Beau Brade:  He is a guy I expect to return to Maryland in 2024, but as a RS sophomore starter last year he put together a solid season, earning Honorable Mention All Big 10 honors and a solid 73 PFF grade.   I thought he was as good, maybe even slight better than the guy he replaced, Nick Cross who went to the Colts in the Fourth Round, though there are major differences between the two, for example, Cross ran a 4.36 40 yard dash at the combine, whereas Brade would likely be more like 4.56.  But he is a good player.  He is aggressive against the run--ocassionally that aggressiveness backfires but he makes plays.  I was surprised by how many plays last year he made in coverage.

Edited by philibusters
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am high on Howell but i do think ANY young QB including ones with pedigree is 50-50 tops until it plays out.  So i am paying attention to QBs early.

Just watched a game for McCarthy.  Impressed.  And I didn't expect it.  i was reluctant because I was turned off by the sub 200 weight for a dude that's 6 '3.

He obviously needs to gain weight.  But has some good potential -- he throws effortlessly -- good arm strength, some say great, not sure I agree but good IMO. 

His super power IMO is he makes plays off platform including going to his left and is an electric runner.  He can scramble while keep his eyes down field so is a weapon on the move with both his arm and legs.  And he readjusts his footwork well on the move and can make decent throws even without readjusting his footwork where he can do them off balance - across his body and maintain accuracy.

Quick release.  Quick decision maker when he needs to be.  Sees pressure and is good at escaping it.   Good at play fakes and body language to redirect defenses.

Plays out of the gun.  Can stare at his targets, footwork-base looks off balance at times -- too in love with his athleticism where he plays a bit hero ball.  Barely made any 2nd level throws in the game I watched -- almost all first level and deep. 

He puts a bit too much air on the deep ball so they can float.  Needs to work on adjusting his speeds just in general on his throws to help his receivers.  Needs to work on decision making -- its not that i don't think he sees the field well like I thought was the case with Rosen-Darnold but it comes of like he trusts his playmakers too much to make plays on contested catches.

I was more intrigued than I expected.  He certainly has some things to work on.  But his talent is intriguing.  I read somewhere he runs 4.46.  He looks it -- he's really fast and has good vision too as a runner.   

If he develops more as a passer, which I believe he can -- his running-off platform ability makes this dude an electric talent.  He needs to put on some weight though and hopefully that doesn't slow him down. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Don't know what game you watched for McCarthy, but overall he was a mild disappointment for Michigan.  He just had too many clunkers.  That said he has physical tools and he had a handful of really good games.   He was only a RS Freshman last year, so we'll see if he cuts down on the amount of clunkers he has and is more consistently good or whether the inconsistency persists. 

10 hours ago, philibusters said:

Don't know what game you watched for McCarthy, but overall he was a mild disappointment for Michigan.  He just had too many clunkers.  That said he has physical tools and he had a handful of really good games.   He was only a RS Freshman last year, so we'll see if he cuts down on the amount of clunkers he has and is more consistently good or whether the inconsistency persists. 

The Ohio State Game.  

I haven't dove in beyond a game.  He went #20 in McShay's 2024 mock. 

He has some buzz.  I paid no attention until now.  But like you said he's just starting to get play time, he has the potential to grow. 

https://www.si.com/college/michigan/football/michigan-wolverines-football-jj-mccarthy-jack-tuttle-big-ten-jim-harbaugh-ohio-state

"Most people would look at a guy like JJ, quarterback, big time guy, they might think he's arrogant or something like that," said Tuttle. "That dude is the most down to earth person. I can't say this enough - great human being, great football player, I love being around him. I'm stoked to be his teammate. That whole quarterback room, I'm just stoked to be in there - such good dudes.

"Right now, like I said, I'm going to come in and compete. JJ's been phenomenal, that whole quarterback room has been great, coach Kirk (Campbell). I'm honestly blessed to come into that situation and be around those guys, compete and have fun. I'm going to do whatever I can to help this team win."

For McCarthy, the feeling this spring is vastly different from last year where he was competing for the starting job with former U-M QB, Cade McNamara. 

"[Being the starter in the spring has a] tremendous, tremendous impact because it just feels like I have a solid foundation right now," he said. "And it’s so much easier to grow upon that foundation when it’s safe, secure and just being able to know where I’m at. There’s no like — I’m not in my head as much, everything’s happening so effortlessly now.

"Just with the preparation coming into the season, like we still have fall camp to prepare for, too, for the season, and it’s just going to do wonders for me. I just can’t wait to see how the season plays out because of it."

https://www.on3.com/college/michigan-wolverines/news/jj-mccarthy-reveals-how-he-learned-the-hard-way-how-to-augment-the-kobe-bryant-mindset/

JJ McCarthy reveals how he learned 'the hard way' how to augment the Kobe Bryant mindset

One of Michigan quarterback JJ McCarthy’s biggest strengths as a quarterback is his accuracy. On the 2022 season, he’s completing 78.3% of his passes. For his own part, McCarthy contributes this to another strength of his, work ethic.

While speaking to the media, JJ McCarthy was asked about what goes into his accuracy. He gave an interesting answer where he invoked NBA legend, Kobe Bryant.

“At the root of it, at the base of it, has just been the constant reps,” JJ McCarthy said. “The constant, since 5th grade, just working with my quarterback coach. Always throwing.”

That’s when JJ McCarthy brought up Kobe Bryant, who was known for his workaholic mentality. However, this didn’t entirely work for McCarthy, who has had to maintain it while augmenting that thought process.

“I always approached it with that Kobe Bryant mentality. I’m going to get a thousand shots in. Well, you can’t really do that with your arm. I learned that last year, with the lat tear and everything,” JJ McCarthy explained.

“But just continually repping out every single throw, so I know exactly how it feels when I want to put it a certain way and just being in the present moment when the game is happening when the play is happening. Just being completely present. Going through every little pre-snap checklist in my head, and just being able to deliver effortlessly.”

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 8:54 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Quinn Ewers, Texas

Going to try and take more of an interest in college football this year. If it’s becoming apparent we need a QB then this is the one I’m most intrigued with.

20 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Going to try and take more of an interest in college football this year. If it’s becoming apparent we need a QB then this is the one I’m most intrigued with.

That's cool.  too early for me to know which one am most intrigued by.   For a lot of college QBs that last season changes a lot as to their fortunes and prospects.  Many shifts typically at QB from the season before to their last season.

Hopefully, Howell is the goods.  But I'll definitely be watching the QBs in case he's not.   Plus I am gathering knowing Harris' rep if there ends up questions aboiut Howell, he's not going to slow play finding a QB -- I'd think its 2024. 

• Like 1