Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

On 6/25/2023 at 8:17 PM, moondog said:

I don’t dislike our offensive line. They have a ton of athleticism and can get out for screens. 

But I hate the durability. Cosmi and Charles have had serious issues staying on the field. And Leno has been an iron man but how long can that last at his age? 

I like the starting 5 for this offense (don’t love) but the durability concerns me much more than the actual ability. 

I don't see this line as particularly athletic.  The two guys you mention having durability issues, Cosmi and Charles are really the only two guys I think of as being athletic for their size.  I think of Gates as being a meh athlete, but a guy who is going to hustle.  I think of Wylie having middle of the pack mobility, but given his size 305 pounds, that is not particularly impressive.  For a smaller O-Lineman in the 300 pound range, Leno is a meh athlete to be, but he is a great technician.  In general I would anticipate we are slightly better running to the right behind Cosmi and Wylie than to the left behind Charles and Leno.

16 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Chris Paul ran a 4.89 with a 1.71 10 yard split at the combine.  He's really fast for an OL.  Braeden Daniels is really fast too.  Stromberg has a big first step too.  This IOL should be able to run.

Yup, there is certainly speed improvement on the line. It is also one of the reasons I liked the idea of adding Anton Harrison on the outside. Selecting 16th was just too high for him to go. 

Good speed and movement skills is also part of  why top OT prospects like Joe Alt, JC Latham and even Fashanu become all the more appealing. 

I am rooting for Paul and Charles to have a great battle.

Edited by DWinzit

I like the core young group of Paul-Stromberg-Cosmi-Daniels ... heck I am just happy to have some youth on the OL. I still think we need that blue chip LT to really anchor the OL though. I think that comes next year via the draft and FA. We'll have $$$$ to throw around in FA (yes, defenders to sign, but still) ... and maybe if Howell really ends up being the answer and we draft fairly low in R1 we could try and get aggressive to move up for an OT. If QB hole is solved, we really have few glaring holes on the roster going forward and we should absolutely get aggressive to get an elite LT.

With a full slate of draft picks and $100m+ in projected cap space, even with the holes on defense and the need to re-sign several big name defenders, we should still have plenty of $$ to pay an off-ball LB or a premier LT (*Elite OTs rarely hit the market though)

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2023 at 4:24 PM, Going Commando said:

Chris Paul ran a 4.89 with a 1.71 10 yard split at the combine.  He's really fast for an OL.  Braeden Daniels is really fast too.  Stromberg has a big first step too.  This IOL should be able to run.

True.  When I said I don't think of this O-Line except for Cosmi and Charles I was thinking of Leno, Wylie, and Gates, not the young guys.

• Like 1

My preseason guess on what will emerge as most glaring needs in the 2024 draft:

QB - just a roll of the dice, but given the infrequency of success in the past I would guess we'll need one

OT - interior line might be ok but we'll need help at tackle

LB - I just don't get the plan

TE - the Armani injury hurts

DE - one or both starters will be gone

9 hours ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

My preseason guess on what will emerge as most glaring needs in the 2024 draft:

QB - just a roll of the dice, but given the infrequency of success in the past I would guess we'll need one

OT - interior line might be ok but we'll need help at tackle

LB - I just don't get the plan

TE - the Armani injury hurts

DE - one or both starters will be gone

That's a fair assessment.

QB-Brissett is a FA

OT-Unless one of the youngsters pulls off an amazing end of season at LT, yes!!! Lucas is a FA

LB-our current LB2 Barton and LB3 Hudson are FA'a

TE-the kids and Thomas could pull it off is they all remain healthy but TE feels needy. Also, will Thomas be able to prove he is worthy of his cap hit next season?

DE-Sweat, Chase, Obada, Smith-Williams, Toohill all FA's right now I believe. 

Samuel's and Gibson's contacts also ends I believe so how about WR, RB and returner

Speaking of special teams, how about a new kicker, does Van Slye prove he is too good to let go?

Kurl, Reaves and Fuller in the Dbackfield so will DB need to be addressed again? 

12 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Mckshay gone from ESPN.  Will miss Mel & Todd's podcasts.

Will also miss their fiery banter during the draft. While neither is great at what they due, McShay always knocked some of the smugness off Kiper which is always a good thing! 

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Will also miss their fiery banter during the draft. While neither is great at what they due, McShay always knocked some of the smugness off Kiper which is always a good thing! 

Apparently Todd had some sobriety issues.  Google it.  He looked hammered on some broadcasts.  Hopefully he gets the help he needs.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Apparently Todd had some sobriety issues.  Google it.  He looked hammered on some broadcasts.  Hopefully he gets the help he needs.  

Should put him in the booth on game day, so maybe he can be like Pat Summeral and keep Joe Buck on topic.

• Like 1

As for the O line.  Just focusing on the younger players.

I like Stromberg at center a lot.

Cosmi to me is in a make or break season as to durablity.  So he's IMO a wildcard.  But if he can stay healthy, he's a good one

I liked Paul's tape.  Don't love the stories about him being out of shape last year.  But I like that I heard he's been good in practice.  Wild card.

I don't think much of Charles but maybe he surprises this season.  Isn't his contract about to run out?

I liked Daniels and touted him some (liked him not loved him) on the last draft thread.  But he's IMO a wildcard too.  He moves well but heck his weight is in the low 290s, he should move well compared to the bigger dudes who typically played his spot.  But he does have potential. 

I recall from McGinn's scouts Daniels had a super low Wonderlic score.  I think he might have had the lowest in the class if I recall.  But he also is one of the better athletes in this class.    Lets see what happens when he puts on 15 pounds which he needs to do.  He also is a wildcard.

IMO the O line on the aggregate is full of question marks.  And we likely need 2 to 3 starters next year, more likely 3.  lol, I said the same before this off season.  I think we are basically in the same place as we were at the start of 2023.

I am just not a believer in betting on wildcards in the trenches.  I don't mind one wildcard.  But I am not betting on 3 of them. So I'd make this the code red spot that Rivera claimed it was at the start of 2023 but IMO didn't follow through on. 

Heck if you upgrade the unit and most of the wildcards also work out, that's a good problem to have.  But I don't like risking a unit that important on what ifs. 

For me right now I am focusing on O line and QB.  I lean on the optmistic side about Howell.  But it needs to play out for him to be secure in that job -- if not QB clearly will become the focus in 2024.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cosmi to me is in a make or break season as to durablity.  So he's IMO a wildcard.  But if he can stay healthy, he's a good one

I liked Paul's tape.  Don't love the stories about him being out of shape last year.  But I like that I heard he's been good in practice.  Wild card.

I don't think much of Charles but maybe he surprises this season.  Isn't his contract about to run out?

I liked Daniels and touted him some (liked him not loved him) on the last draft thread.  But he's IMO a wildcard too.  He moves well but heck his weight is in the low 290s, he should move well compared to the bigger dudes who typically played his spot.  But he does have potential. 

I recall from McGinn's scouts Daniels had a super low Wonderlic score.  I think he might have had the lowest in the class if I recall.  But he also is one of the better athletes in this class.    Lets see what happens when he puts on 15 pounds which he needs to do.  He also is a wildcard.

IMO the O line on the aggregate is full of question marks.  And we likely need 2 to 3 starters next year, more likely 3.  lol, I said the same before this off season.  I think we are basically in the same place as we were at the start of 2023.

I am just not a believer in betting on wildcards in the trenches.  I don't mind one wildcard.  But I am not betting on 3 of them. So I'd make this the code red spot that Rivera claimed it was at the start of 2023 but IMO didn't follow through on. 

I am with you on hating having so many questions with the OL at this point.

I was not a big fan of the Daniels selection in the 4th. I didn't know had such a poor Wonderlic score which makes me like the pick even less.

There has been a lot of high talk on Charles, he is the one I have the most doubt about of the youngsters. He has been given opportunities and has shown little. I don't get the praise unless he really shows something. 

I have always been a Cosmi fan and believe in him working out. I feel similar regarding Strom, seeing him as the future C.

I think Paul is the dude we need to show up big. He is the guy I am rooting on to fight and grab that LG spot! 

When we are checking out QB Riley Leonard at Duke this year, keep an eye out for OT Graham Barton.

Max is a little high on him, but he has some real potential.

:229:The Rook

Edited by The Rook
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

I am with you on hating having so many questions with the OL at this point.

I was not a big fan of the Daniels selection in the 4th. I didn't know had such a poor Wonderlic score which makes me like the pick even less.

There has been a lot of high talk on Charles, he is the one I have the most doubt about of the youngsters. He has been given opportunities and has shown little. I don't get the praise unless he really shows something. 

I have always been a Cosmi fan and believe in him working out. I feel similar regarding Strom, seeing him as the future C.

I think Paul is the dude we need to show up big. He is the guy I am rooting on to fight and grab that LG spot! 

I like Cosmi, but he needs to show he can stay healthy.

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Cosmi, but he needs to show he can stay healthy.

For sure! On the positive side he has is not coming off major surgery like knee, back, neck, not has he ever had those injuries. 

He had a stellar and injury free college career and mainly just been having ankles rolled up on and a broken thumb.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 3:32 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

As for the O line.  Just focusing on the younger players.

I like Stromberg at center a lot.

Heck if you upgrade the unit and most of the wildcards also work out, that's a good problem to have.  But I don't like risking a unit that important on what ifs. 

For me right now I am focusing on O line and QB.  I lean on the optmistic side about Howell.  But it needs to play out for him to be secure in that job -- if not QB clearly will become the focus in 2024.

Great post.

I would argue that, because of this franchise's lifelong inability to draft and develop a true franchise QB (save for S. Baugh), unless Howell looks like a burgeoning superstar, we should make QB the absolute focus of next year's draft.  If there was ever a franchise that absolutely, positively 100% needed to hedge its  bets at the sport's most crucial position, it's this one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redwards said:

Great post.

I would argue that, because of this franchise's lifelong inability to draft and develop a true franchise QB (save for S. Baugh), unless Howell looks like a burgeoning superstar, we should make QB the absolute focus of next year's draft.  If there was ever a franchise that absolutely, positively 100% needed to hedge its  bets at the sport's most crucial position, it's this one. 

I'm confused.  Are you saying go all in drafting a QB or don't go all in?

15 hours ago, The Rook said:

I'm confused.  Are you saying go all in drafting a QB or don't go all in?

Sorry for the confusion.  

What I'm saying is that unless Sam Howell looks like he's gonna be a real superstar, we should put our main focus in this coming draft in procuring a great prospect at QB.   This, of course, is if whomever is in control of the draft at that point sees a prospect he believes highly in.  

Bottom line: If we see a QB prospect in this coming draft that we truly believe can be a franchise guy, we should do everything we can to draft him.  The best case scenario is that Howell and the guy we drafted end up being two truly great talents.  That's a wonderful problem to have, and a problem this franchise has almost never had.  Worst case is that neither end up being the answer.  I'm fine with that as long as we keep taking shots.  

Harris needs to get this franchise into elite status.  We've done the whole playoff appearance thing.  We need to become a serious contender.  If we don't nail QB, then we'll never become a legit contender, save for a one year wonder kind of thing.  And in order to nail the QB position, we need to keep firing our best shot year after year until we get one.  Anything less is old territory for us; it'll just be a good roster that never really goes anywhere.

Edited by Redwards

4 hours ago, Redwards said:

Sorry for the confusion.  

What I'm saying is that unless Sam Howell looks like he's gonna be a real superstar, we should put our main focus in this coming draft in procuring a great prospect at QB.   This, of course, is if whomever is in control of the draft at that point sees a prospect he believes highly in.  

Bottom line: If we see a QB prospect in this coming draft that we truly believe can be a franchise guy, we should do everything we can to draft him.  The best case scenario is that Howell and the guy we drafted end up being two truly great talents.  That's a wonderful problem to have, and a problem this franchise has almost never had.  Worst case is that neither end up being the answer.  I'm fine with that as long as we keep taking shots.  

Harris needs to get this franchise into elite status.  We've done the whole playoff appearance thing.  We need to become a serious contender.  If we don't nail QB, then we'll never become a legit contender, save for a one year wonder kind of thing.  And in order to nail the QB position, we need to keep firing our best shot year after year until we get one.  Anything less is old territory for us; it'll just be a good roster that never really goes anywhere.

Thanks @Redwards - completely dig it. 

It was the 100% hedge bets that threw me off.   Hedging a bet implies not 100% - like putting your money 50% stocks, 50% bonds.

:cheers:

• Thumb up 1

2024 NFL mock draft: Jordan Reid's early first-round predictions

4. Indianapolis Colts

Olumuyiwa Fashanu, OT, Penn State

A major part of the Colts' outlook hinges on the development of left tackle Bernhard Raimann. If he builds on his solid second half of the 2022 season and takes the next step, Indy could approach this pick differently. But for the time being, the Colts must add more protection for quarterback Anthony Richardson.

Many scouts believed Fashanu would've been the first offensive tackle taken in the 2023 draft, but he opted to return to Happy Valley for another season. He is an explosive and well-balanced tackle with the mirror-and-match ability to handle most edge rushers. He's still filling out his frame, but Fashanu has the ideal length and strength to generate movement as a run blocker, too.

Potential needs: OT, EDGE, CB

lar.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

5. Los Angeles Rams

Jared Verse, EDGE, Florida State

The Rams' roster is undergoing a youth movement in multiple spots, and they are in dire need of playmakers at edge rusher. Verse is a heavy-handed and active rusher, and after transferring from Albany, he quickly became the centerpiece of the Seminoles' 2022 defense. He created pressure on 17.1% of his defensive snaps and recorded nine sacks last season. Verse is a contender to be the first defensive player off the board.

Potential needs: CB, EDGE, OL

ten.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

6. Tennessee Titans

JC Latham, OT, Alabama

Beyond wideout Treylon Burks and tight end Chigoziem Okonkwo, the Titans severely lack targets on the outside. But because there isn't another option worthy of a pick this early, I could see Tennessee looking at the trenches. Titans 2023 first-rounder Peter Skoronski has primarily been working at guard, and Andre Dillard was brought in to start at left tackle. However, Nicholas Petit-Frere was suspended for gambling violations and hasn't proven himself as a surefire starter when available.

Latham is a strong and physical presence, and though he has played only right tackle during his time in Tuscaloosa, he is expected to switch over to the left side this season. He is a bruiser in the run game and surprisingly nimble for a 6-5, 330-pound blocker, but he must reduce the 11 penalties he took in 2022.

Potential needs: WR, EDGE, OL

gb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

7. Green Bay Packers

Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame

The Packers gave quarterback Jordan Love a one-year extension, meaning he could have more than just 2023 to prove he's their starter. Now they need to get more help around him. At 6-7 and 317 pounds, Alt is a well-built tackle with all of the tools to be a high-level starter, though his game is a little raw at the moment. He is a little more technically advanced at this stage, but he reminds me of Brian O'Neill as a prospect. The Packers haven't drafted an offensive lineman in the first round since 2011 (Derek Sherrod), but Alt is the type of prospect who could push Green Bay to break that trend.

Potential needs: S, OT, WR

was.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

8. Washington Commanders

Quinn Ewers, QB, Texas

A lot of this hinges on the development of Sam Howell. But if Washington is picking inside the top 10 next year, it means the team fell well below expectations and will likely be searching for a long-term answer under center.

Ewers came to Texas with plenty of hype and looked the part before hurting his shoulder against Alabama in Week 2. He shows a smooth, effortless arm as a passer, but I'd like to see more urgency in the mental and physical parts of the game. Under the tutelage of coach Steve Sarkisian -- who developed Tua Tagovailoa and Mac Jones -- Ewers could be in store for a big season.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/37934053/2024-nfl-mock-draft-round-1-projections-caleb-williams

Potential needs: OT, EDGE, TE