Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Commanders 2023 UDFA's

Nitwit248

39 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Traditional off the ball linebackers are becoming extinct - or at least evolving - in the NFL. 

For a start there are only a max of 2 on the field most of the time as teams are in nickel as base. And in nickel replacing 1 of the 2 with a hybrid ‘Buffalo’ safety is the trend (that’s why we drafted Martin). 

The backers who remain need to be able to cover and run with move TEs who are more big slots so they are trending lighter - 225 ish not 235+. 

It’s just not a position NFL teams value. 

That's why we signed Barton right? They like his speed/cover skills....?

31 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

That's why we signed Barton right? They like his speed/cover skills....?

That and we do need some depth at that position. It’s still an area where if Davis was to get injured we have pretty much fresh air behind him.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Well, I usually like to have some confidence that QB3 has the potential to be a good backup if QB1 and 2 were unavailable for a game.

What little I knew of this kid to this point, I am not feeling it. Hope I am wrong

Unless DeMorat blows the doors down for his third string role during the preseason, QB3 is likely going to be a vacant roster slot that will be filled by couch surfing free agents fresh off their USFL and XFL seasons. I doubt many teams with young, healthy QB1s and 2s are investing more than that.

Edited by NickyJ

Commanders: Mason Brooks, OL, Ole Miss

The Commanders shelled out a nice bonus to sign Brooks. He’s something of a tweener after playing guard at Ole Miss in 2022 after being the starting right tackle at Western Kentucky in their go-go offense. He moves well enough to serve as an extra tackle/blocking TE while he adapts to being a versatile reserve lineman.

No idea what to expect of Smith, but he’s got a lot of ST experience and was stuck behind some quality safeties - Joseph (3rd round in 2022), Martin (2nd rd in 2023) and Brown (3rd round in 2023)… so I’m not going to discount him.

“I think I got good tape man, I show I can take the ball away,” Smith said. “I show I can come down and make tackles in space. I played special teams for five years, so that shouldn’t be a question if I can do that or not.”

The sixth-year senior impressed at the Illinois Pro Day last month in front of scouts from all 32 NFL teams, clocking a 4.59 40-yard dash, with 23 reps on the bench press. Smith wasn’t invited to the NFL Combine but his performance is putting him right in the draft conversation with his secondary teammates Devon Witherspoon, Sydney Brown and Quan Martin. Illinois hasn’t had four defensive backs selected in the same draft since 1947.

“Most teams when they’re calling, they’re enamored we have so many guys in the secondary with this kind of talent and ability,” Illinois defensive coordinator Aaron Henry said.

“They killed it man, they had me excited,” Smith said about his former teammates. “It definitely motivated me to make sure I came out and gave a good performance. Illinois DBs are starting to have a standard, and I tried to make sure I held that up as well.”

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Accorrding to Keim, their top 2 lands among the ones they wanted here Brooks and Smith -- implying there were aniother two that they wanted that they didn't get among their top 4 wants.

we brought this gut in for a visit, plus Kyle Soelle was it ?

The Eagles laid out a big bonus for VanSumeren, one of the most athletic LB prospects of the last handful of seasons. He showed progress as a run defender for the Spartans, but he’s got a chance to be a sub-package coverage backer and special team ace quickly. Anyone who transferred from Michigan to Michigan State has the mental toughness to handle the fickle Philly fans and media.

4 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

we brought this gut in for a visit, plus Kyle Soelle was it ?

The Eagles laid out a big bonus for VanSumeren, one of the most athletic LB prospects of the last handful of seasons. He showed progress as a run defender for the Spartans, but he’s got a chance to be a sub-package coverage backer and special team ace quickly. Anyone who transferred from Michigan to Michigan State has the mental toughness to handle the fickle Philly fans and media.

Maybe.  Soelle IMO would have likely been a good 3rd LB, he reminded me a lot of Barton who they obviously like.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

I'm really intrigued by Allen. Kid is a streak of lightning

Is there something funky with his known measurables? At his size, I didn’t expect him to be described this way at 4.55 with no burst evident in his jumps and over a 7.0 3-cone. 

1 hour ago, Conn said:

Is there something funky with his known measurables? At his size, I didn’t expect him to be described this way at 4.55 with no burst evident in his jumps and over a 7.0 3-cone. 

It was held in basically monsoon type conditions and the ground was rain soaked.  They honestly should have moved it indoors or rescheduled.  Throw that 40 time out the window.

https://247sports.com/college/ucla/Article/UCLA-Pro-Day-Rain-Soaked-Conditions-on-Wednesday-206601926/

Edited by Riggo'sRangers
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 5/2/2023 at 3:20 PM, NickyJ said:

Unless DeMorat blows the doors down for his third string role during the preseason, QB3 is likely going to be a vacant roster slot that will be filled by couch surfing free agents fresh off their USFL and XFL seasons. I doubt many teams with young, healthy QB1s and 2s are investing more than that.

More than likely. I am always more comfortable with QB3 having a decent familiarity with the tam and system. Some mobility is always a great attribute for them as well. A QB3 statue does not usually work out so well. Hey, I hope he sticks and works out. Fromm is actually probably the better option, I am just not sure how much that is really saying

Edited by DWinzit
EDIT, added last sentence

Standig is a new podcast said he asked multiple scouts from other teams about this UDFA class -- the response sounded like was "meh"

But he found out that Brooks was one player who had some interest from other teams, supposedly 5 other teams hot for him.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Standig is a new podcast said he asked multiple scouts from other teams about this UDFA class -- the response sounded like was "meh"

But he found out that Brooks was one player who had some interest from other teams, supposedly 5 other teams hot for him.

Given the consensus was this was a weak draft class overall, it seems logical that players who went undrafted would also be generally considered ‘meh’.

I think watching veteran cuts over the next few weeks will be key and then the late camp cuts. 

LG, LB and last couple of depth WR spots will he positions to watch IMO. I’d also feel a lot better if Jake Fromm was not our 3rd QB - but if we get to the 3rd QB one way or another things have already gone very badly. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Given the consensus was this was a weak draft class overall, it seems logical that players who went undrafted would also be generally considered ‘meh’.

I think watching veteran cuts over the next few weeks will be key and then the late camp cuts. 

LG, LB and last couple of depth WR spots will he positions to watch IMO. I’d also feel a lot better if Jake Fromm was not our 3rd QB - but if we get to the 3rd QB one way or another things have already gone very badly. 

I get the point.  The way Standig said it, it didn't give me the vibe that the point was who didn't have a "meh" UDFA class.  But who knows.

The draft media and scouts don't always see things the same way -- but on most players they are generally at least in the same ball park, and the dudes that were sort of projected in the 5th-7th round but weren't taken -- guys like Pace, Luepke, Sean Tucker, Keaton Mitchell, Eli Ricks went elsewhere.

Been a long time since this team signed players like that.  Chasing guys who have multiple options and teams who are willing to sometimes out spend this team for those options. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I get the point.  The way Standig said it, it didn't give me the vibe that the point was who didn't have a "meh" UDFA class.  But who knows.

The draft media and scouts don't always see things the same way -- but on most players they are generally at least in the same ball park, and the dudes that were sort of projected in the 5th-7th round but weren't taken -- guys like Pace, Luepke, Sean Tucker, Keaton Mitchell, Eli Ricks went elsewhere.

Been a long time since this team signed players like that.  Chasing guys who have multiple options and teams who are willing to sometimes out spend this team for those options. 

If I was the agent of someone who played OL/WR/LB I think I would be recommending they signed here as opposed to a team like say the Eagles. Decent chance for someone to win a roster spot at those positions here. 

Someone who can return punts as well.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

If I was the agent of someone who played OL/WR/LB I think I would be recommending they signed here as opposed to a team like say the Eagles. Decent chance for someone to win a roster spot at those positions here. 

Someone who can return punts as well.

I get the point.  Not sure about WR but maybe.  O line and LB for sure.   Maybe that's why they got Brooks with other teams in pursuit.   From what others have said, cash is king in a big way with UDFAs, teams that give more -- put more money in the players pocket and also indicate an investment in the player.

For whatever reason when the bigger names hit UDFA, we usually aren't one of the teams in the mix.    

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I get the point.  Not sure about WR but maybe.  O line and LB for sure.   Maybe that's why they got Brooks with other teams in pursuit.   From what others have said, cash is king in a big way with UDFAs, teams that give more -- put more money in the players pocket and also indicate an investment in the player.

For whatever reason when the bigger names hit UDFA, we usually aren't one of the teams in the mix.    

At the receiver position group top 3 are set in stone and one of the better trios as a group in the league. After than I’m thinking it’s a bunch of questions - Brown has flashed potential without locking down a roster spot and after that it’s wide open. 

There are two and maybe three roster spots at receiver wide open IMO.

• Like 2