Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Emmanuel Forbes CB Mississippi State

zCommander

I feel like as fans saying “not giving up on him” doesn’t mean very much.  It’s just common decency not to determine a guy a bust after 5 games and nobody wants to believe a first rounder is a whiff because that’s a detriment to the team.

My issue is there’s been nothing good to instill belief that he’s anything but a bust.  It’s not like he’s had a 50/50 season, he’s been like 1/99.  Any good receiver lays one mit on him and he’s done, he can’t tackle, and has been on the other end of many career days and it’s only been 5 weeks.

We should have seen something by now that helps to offset all the bad.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

The same people that tossed Forbes to the wolves are the same ones that drafted him.  Maybe he'll end up best in zone but signs are pointing to not a good fit in this scheme. If he is coming off the field where is Quan... sigh.  I think its foolish for Harris to wait until February to clean house. I want his scouts in the building now and not let Ron's guys even make mid season personnel decisions.  Someone has to put their foot down and that foot is me - Dean Vernon Wormer Harris

Pretty cool if he told him to bulk up.

https://x.com/JPFinlayNBCS/status/1710055463079883

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

The same people that tossed Forbes to the wolves are the same ones that drafted him.  Maybe he'll end up best in zone but signs are pointing to not a good fit in this scheme. If he is coming off the field where is Quan... sigh.  I think its foolish for Harris to wait until February to clean house. I want his scouts in the building now and not let Ron's guys even make mid season personnel decisions.  Someone has to put their foot down and that foot is me - Dean Vernon Wormer Harris

Pretty cool if he told him to bulk up.

https://x.com/JPFinlayNBCS/status/1710055463079883

While you punt on midseason, the new FO leader and staff you bring in will already be working with other teams and developing files and opinions on prospects. It’s not like they will be starting from a cold start 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

This feels like the Haskins pick did in retrospect—just a weight around the neck of the next regime, a wasted pick. Gonzalez was right there, yes. But even a hugely overdrafted OL prospect would have been better than this for the next FO to work with. Would’ve been a waste of value but a startable player to build with, and help for Howell. That would’ve at least been an understandable need pick with a use case for the next group. Gonzalez, don’t need to comment on, we pretty much all agree (and agreed on draft night). Instead we got a cute outlier pick that isn’t even good at his one niche skill because it’s outweighed so much by the other negatives. 

Instead we’ve got Brandon Banks at CB—but arguably worse (in terms of size), bc 155 lbs at 5’6” is better than 165 lbs at 6’0” 

Edited by Conn
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

So we are now classifying a person a bust in 4 games. This place cracks me up. Not a season or two seasons.....4 games. If after 21 games he doesn't show massive improvement then I will classify him as a bust. 

He’s not a busy yet. Clearly. Anyone who says otherwise is just emoting and it’s fine to do that too. 

What he is so far is a huge disappointment compared to his draft status AND the easiest person to blame for our defensive woes. Even more so when you consider we could have had the other dude. Same **** happened to Chase. They blamed him personally the year we had all this talent and failed to use it correctly. Same exact ****. 

People need to chill. He can still get better. And I argue the scheme and the coaches are hanging him out to dry. But when have people ever chilled lol

Its crazy Ron out this coaching staff together to get the least out of all of his players. Who does that. 

11 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

So we are now classifying a person a bust in 4 games. This place cracks me up. Not a season or two seasons.....4 games. If after 21 games he doesn't show massive improvement then I will classify him as a bust. 

It's really, really hard to get better when you're undersized. Can you imagine him on DK Metcaf in a few weeks?  Yikes....He seems like a nice young man and it's not his fault he was drafted in the first as a lockdown corner. He was drafted in the wrong round by the wrong team/system. 

To be fair, most of us down on Forbes, didn’t like this pick when it was made.  At the same time, I always prefer to be wrong in these scenarios.  Forbes stinking benefits me none.

But all the reasons I didn’t like the pick at the time, have been on full display in 5 games.  First round talent, even if developmental, should have some good tape in the first 5 games.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

53 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

We all know he can improve. You aren’t a genius because you know his career isn’t written in a few games, every single person here knows that. There’s no moral superiority in saying “I’ll declare him a bust when there’s absolutely no question about it in a few seasons”. It doesn’t make you some level-headed paragon of fandom to wait for all the evidence to have an opinion. We can all do that. Forbes has a chance to turn it around and be a good player. That doesn’t mean we have some honorable duty to mention that every time we talk about how bad he looks and how bad the pick looks. 

Strong Opinions, Weakly Held is certainly a framework for thinking that has its proponents and detractors in terms of real-life decision-making. But it works perfectly fine as a message board practice. It’s okay to have an opinion on something without running a hypothesis through the entire scientific method first. It’s okay for other to disagree with said opinion, and even advocate for more evidence before forming their own opinion, as you’re doing. But the patronizing arrogance in your posts is so ironic, while you chuckle at everyone here as if you’re on some higher level of understanding.

It takes absolutely no knowledge, expertise, or valor to NOT have an opinion lol. Anyone can do that. It’s a discussion board. Bring something to the table other than “you guys are so silly for arriving at a thought about this and posting it to add to the conversation—it would be far better to be like me, and say that forming an opinion on anything before it’s a sure thing is stupid”. Every page on this site would be blank if we operated like that. None of us are saying to cut the guy. He just sucks right now and looks to be as bad of a draft pick in retrospect as he did on draft night. People are disappointed in that, and people WANT to be wrong about it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

meme-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg.0734625133a2cfeedee2e0c700f50377.jpg

lol. Hopefully I wasn’t too harsh, but my least favorite message board posts are those that don’t add anything to the conversation beyond “he could still get better, you’re jumping to conclusions!” No ****, we know that. Or “you’re giving up on him too quickly” as if there’s any tangible consequence to a guy on a message board thinking a player stinks. Oh no, I hope our GM doesn’t read my forum post and cut a future All-Pro because I posted a cutting criticism of him when he’s disappointing as a rookie! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Conn said:

It takes absolutely no knowledge, expertise, or valor to NOT have an opinion lol. Anyone can do that. It’s a discussion board. Bring something to the table other than “you guys are so silly for arriving at a thought about this and posting it to add to the conversation—it would be far better to be like me, and say that forming an opinion on anything before it’s a sure thing is stupid”.

This is what I’ve been getting at.  

If you think we’re all stupid a-holes because we are pooping on Forbes, tell us why we are wrong besides the fact that it’s been 5 games.  Tell me what you’ve seen that leads you to believe we don’t know what we are talking about.

• Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Conn said:

lol. Hopefully I wasn’t too harsh, but my least favorite message board posts are those that don’t add anything to the conversation beyond “he could still get better, you’re jumping to conclusions!” No ****, we know that. Or “you’re giving up on him too quickly” as if there’s any tangible consequence to a guy on a message board thinking a player stinks. Oh no, I hope our GM doesn’t read my forum post and cut a future All-Pro because I posted a cutting criticism of him when he’s disappointing as a rookie! 

I completely agree with you and enjoyed your response. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/6/2023 at 1:15 PM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’d love for guys like @MrJL that regularly thumbs down negative/criticizing posts to provide some actual color.

Like tell us why you believe in this player.  Tell us what you’ve seen that leads you to believe there is anything there.

Rookie corners generally are going to take their lumps for sure.  There is going to be bad tape.  But we are 5 games in and there is practically no good tape.  Every facet he’s failed - coverage, ball hawking (almost dropped the bunny pick he did get), tackling and even character (moping and giving up after getting beat).

The criticism is not unfair.  I’d love for him to prove us all wrong but there is an incredibly short list of examples of players that start this awful that ever end up being a legit player in this league.

I thumbs down because I don't like the psychics on here.  I'll call him a bust when he's out of the league to early for a first rounder

I personally cannot wait until we have a FO that doesn’t telegraph it’s interest in particular players (especially those it intends to overdraft). The way Belichick was 100% comfortable trading back behind us knowing we preferred Forbes to Gonzalez, whew. Embarrassing. When the beat reporters can precisely pinpoint your positional interests and specific guys you’re super high on, every team in the league knows your intentions.

• Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Conn said:

But the patronizing arrogance in your posts is so ironic, while you chuckle at everyone here as if you’re on some higher level of understanding.

Lmfao....dude! It is my opinion and I will state it how I like. It's a message board. I appreciate the  time you took to look cool making someone else look bad. I wasn't chuckling at everyone here, I was making a statement about the ability of this board ( not everyone obviously) to crush something before it even has a chance to get rolling. Your interpretation of my post is ludicrous. 

Peace

• Haha 1

One thing is for sure, training camp reports are apparently worthless. We read countless times, how phenomenal Forbes looked. How he was all over Mclaurin and Dotson like stink on poo. Then the regular season starts and whoa, what the hades is going on!!! I hope it's just early season rookie struggles and he eventually becomes a stud. Not looking good currently, to state the obvious.