Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Emmanuel Forbes CB Mississippi State

zCommander

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

After the catch and maybe before Forbes looks all of 170 pounds. And he looks gassed as well. He just kind of jogs into the end zone vs making a beeline to get his man down.

Wasnt just the double move, Brown looked faster, Brown was pulling away from him right before the catch.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Here are the top 2 picks under RR.  I can't think of too many teams who have had this lack of production from their top picks year after year:

1st:  Chase

3rd::  Gibson

1st: Davis

2nd: Cosmi

1st:  Dotson

2nd:  Mathis

1st: Forbes

2nd: Martin

horrendous drafting... this alone should be reason enough to clean house from these morons. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Like I said, I'm not gonna kill Forbes for getting roasted by Brown. Guy is a legit top 5 WR in the league and the matchup is a complete nightmare for a guy of Forbes's physical skill set.

What annoys me about Forbes is that he was a guy lauded for his ball skills, but I haven't seen anything resembling good ball skills through four games. The one pick he got was thrown straight to him by Wilson in Denver, and even then he was stumbling and almost fumbled it away, looking super awkward. Then in that same game he went for the pick instead of batting the ball down in the Hail Mary play. And then yesterday, the essential Hail Mary to Smith at the end of the 1st half he looked so awkward and out of position when trying to make a play(coverage wasn't bad but again, we're talking about his supposed strength his ball skills).

When I think of good ball skills I think of Deangelo Hall. Guy was smooth as silk playing the ball. Forbes ain't no D Hall.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

My biggest worry about this kid coming into this year was expectations. 

We kept saying we needed more turnovers so we went and got the all time leader in pick 6's and said go get us some touchdowns. 

In interviews he was saying he wanted to get at least 6 interceptions. 

It all put too much pressure on him to get turnovers rather than learn to play the position and let the turnovers happen organically. 

It definitely feels like at least some of his struggles are due to him trying too hard to force turnovers.

He's only 4 games into his rookie season and everybody develops at a different pace, I known I'm gonna be patient with him until it's time to not be patient.

Hopefully he focuses more on just being in the right place and less on creating turnovers, if that happens I think we'll see improvement in his ball skills when he's not pressing too much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Like I said, I'm not gonna kill Forbes for getting roasted by Brown. Guy is a legit top 5 WR in the league and the matchup is a complete nightmare for a guy of Forbes's physical skill set.

What annoys me about Forbes is that he was a guy lauded for his ball skills, but I haven't seen anything resembling good ball skills through four games. The one pick he got was thrown straight to him by Wilson in Denver, and even then he was stumbling and almost fumbled it away, looking super awkward. Then in that same game he went for the pick instead of batting the ball down in the Hail Mary play. And then yesterday, the essential Hail Mary to Smith at the end of the 1st half he looked so awkward and out of position when trying to make a play(coverage wasn't bad but again, we're talking about his supposed strength his ball skills).

When I think of good ball skills I think of Deangelo Hall. Guy was smooth as silk playing the ball. Forbes ain't no D Hall.

That pick was ball skills.  Receiver broke the run way, he wasn't simply running after the receiver, he saw the ball and went and got it.

The problem is the book is out on him and that he is can be overaggressive.  He has ball skills and he is used the jumping routes.   The double moves are working on him because he is trying to jump routes.

He had a strong camp.  I am not worried about him.  He may also be a bit of gambler which leads to some periods of really good play and some periods of bad play, but overall I still think he will be a good player.  He just needs to get more fundamentally sound.  He is trying to rely on instincts to make a big play rather than being fundamentally sound. 

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah we effed up.

If we draft Gonzalez instead of Forbes we're probably 3-1 right now.

Oh well.

It's looking that way so far.  i still like Forbes' profile and want to give him time.  But just in general its been a long time since I can remember a draft class that contributes so little in the first year.  Granted that can change.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah we effed up.

If we draft Gonzalez instead of Forbes we're probably 3-1 right now.

Oh well.

Or 1-3 like the patriots and without Gonzalez for what looks like several games.

It's a team sport let the kid grow.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Or 1-3 like the patriots and without Gonzalez for what looks like several games.

Can you explain why you think we’d actually be worse with a better (right now at the least) CB playing? It’s not like Gonzalez has lost the Patriots games, he’s been a bright spot in 1-on-1 coverage. Forbes (and the way the coaches left him on an island) arguably just lost us a game. 

So your point that Forbes will grow isn’t wrong but this post is just silly. The idea that we’d be better with a player who is better right now is not controversial at all and isn’t something to bristle at. We’d also be better with a rookie TE or Mauch instead of Quan, it’s not personal. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

40 minutes ago, redskinss said:

The Pats are 1-3 because their offense is complete dog doo doo and Bellicheck as a coach is declining(and as a GM/personnel guy is actually worse than RIvera).

• Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

After the catch and maybe before Forbes looks all of 170 pounds. And he looks gassed as well. He just kind of jogs into the end zone vs making a beeline to get his man down.

The lack of tackling effort after giving up the long pass is infuriating. Benchable imo. 

The problem as I see it was he didn't really show anything in the other games, or preseason for that matter. The consensus pick there was Gonzales, a lot of us raised our eyes at the  Forbes pick but I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt.  Not sure why I would do  that with their draft record, we all commented that so many of his picks were on plays where he was beaten, but that's what fans do. We want to believe our team is right, sadly they aren't right far too often. 

But this is what happens when a man like Snyder gave full control to a coach who never showed any great ability to evaluate players.   

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Forbes was picked because he was a ball hawk in college, and so far in the NFL while he only has 1 pick, he's had his hand on the ball at least a dozen times.  Does he need to start coming down with those in order to offset when he gives up yards? Yes, of course.  Despite giving up all the yards to AJ Brown on Sunday, he also likely has a pick if Brown doesn't play mid-air linebacker on him, and he nearly had a pick 6 earlier in the game.

If anything, right now I am looking at JDR for leaving the man on an island.  You know Forbes is a smaller CB, so why is he on an island against a #1.  You also have BSJ who is bigger and more physical, and was able to disrupt Brown's timing at the line when matching up with him previously.

If I am JDR, after biting on the second double move I am making an adjustment.

Four games is a small sample size to crown or crush anyone and in 4 weeks the narrative could completely change but there's got to be something wrong with his technique.  He's not getting beat through physicality, guys are just running by him and for a guy who runs a 4.3 that's odd.

8 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Great post. He's ok, just not first round talent. It just goes back to Ron's inability to adjust to modern day football. It's an offense driven league. Obviously the d-line and MLB are extremely important, but everyone else on defense doesn't really move the needle forward. 

I was upset with the Davis pick, I was upset with the Dotson trade-back move, and I was again upset by taking Forbes over Gonzalez. Suuure forbes has time to grow, but that’s not the point. Del rio want a guy who can be on an island and Gonzalez is already that dude. Most of us knew he was that dude pre-draft. Just like we knew jamin Davis was a reach…

tht rant was much longer but went way off the rails. Point is, this FO has drafted poorly. I wanted to trust them and let things pan out but it’s proving that the ES consensus was actually correct the majority of the time… 

I’ll say it again, I can’t wait til harris’ analytics crew get their claws into this.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Forbes was picked because he was a ball hawk in college, and so far in the NFL while he only has 1 pick, he's had his hand on the ball at least a dozen times.  Does he need to start coming down with those in order to offset when he gives up yards? Yes, of course.

Out of curiosity, does anybody know if there is good correlation between college interceptions and NFL career interceptions?

I know at the NFL level there is a lot of randomness in interceptions from year to year (e.g. http://www.advancedfootballanalytics.com/2010/11/how-random-are-interceptions.html).  College is fewer games normally per a season, and you have what like 2 years of data really.  Assuming the same randomness, I'm wondering how useful college states are really in evaluating something like that.  I'd be curious if there's any real value to showing being a "ball hawk" in college to NFL production.