Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Convicted felon Donald Trump on Trial (Found guilty on 34 felony counts. 54 criminal count still in the air)

Cooked Crack

Will Trump be convicted in any of his cases?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Will Trump be convicted in any of his cases?

• Yes. He's going 4 for 4. (including Georgia)
    • He's going to lose 3
    • Two for sure
    • He's only going to get convicted in one
    • No. He's going to skate

This poll is closed to new votes

47 minutes ago, Larry said:

I'm not sure I'd object to that. 

At least in my mind, they're discussing a room that used to be a SCIF.  It's just been decommissioned, or whatever the term is. Is the room still secure?  

Or are we talking about re-installing presidential-grade encryption technology and White House secure communications?  

And the irony of requesting a SCIF at Mar-a-Lago, after holding the same documents there unsecured for 18 months.  

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Yeah... requesting to have a SCIF built to talk about the documents your being charged with having can't play out well legally.

Its basically admitting, on paper and on record, that you have an absolute understanding of how sensitive the material your being charged with having is.

Jack Smith is gonna bring this filing back up in court when he is explaining to a jury just how much Trump understood what he was doing.

Anyways, it would be a tremendous and abnormal concession to grant. This is not the first time they have asked and Smith's team has rejected the idea in the past citing the absolute non-existent precedent of such a move.

They already have a assigned SCIF they can go to and discuss the case. Just like for everyone else. If its not uber convenient, boo-hoo.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

LOL @ just building a SCIF.  Yeah, because it's just that simple.

A SCIF is not something that is just built all willy nilly and done in a week.  

It just amazes me how every time I think this guy can't do anything dumber, he continuously tops himself almost daily.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Larry said:

At least in my mind, they're discussing a room that used to be a SCIF.  It's just been decommissioned, or whatever the term is. Is the room still secure?  

By virtue of being decommissioned it’s no longer secure, however that should be relatively easy to fix so long as there were not serious or many changes to the room/whatever. 

4 hours ago, Jabbyrwock said:

I dont think its within the judges power to grant this request.  She would effectively be granting Trump the ability to violate the law.

How so? I believe it’s his right to have the ability to review this stuff

In fact part of what DOJ had to do was figure out what information could afford going through a public trial process (where parts of it are discussed/reviewed/etc). It’s reasonable to assume that there would be more charges if they didn’t need to worry about it. DOJ actually had to get approval from DOD/Homeland Security over which ones they could use for filing charges. And his lawyers have to go through a clearance process specifically designed for being a defense lawyer in a case like this 

My assumption is that by virtue of being approved yo file the charges, there is an implied approval for them to be discussed/reviewed by people involved in the case. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Yeah... requesting to have a SCIF built to talk about the documents your being charged with having can't play out well legally.

Its basically admitting, on paper and on record, that you have an absolute understanding of how sensitive the material your being charged with having is.

Jack Smith is gonna bring this filing back up in court when he is explaining to a jury just how much Trump understood what he was doing.

Anyways, it would be a tremendous and abnormal concession to grant. This is not the first time they have asked and Smith's team has rejected the idea in the past citing the absolute non-existent precedent of such a move.

They already have a assigned SCIF they can go to and discuss the case. Just like for everyone else. If its not uber convenient, boo-hoo.

Um. What?

seriously I don’t know where you all get your information sometimes. 

The government controls the documents and says they’re of whatever security level/class. The court is forced to acknowledge this - therefore the defense is also forced to acknowledge this as part of the trial. 

Which had absolutely nothing to do with whether he was allowed to have the documents, or whether he’s guilty of the crimes charged here. 

and no Smith is not going to reference the defense team following the rules they have no choice but to follow as some sort of proof they they are guilty. That’s an absurd idea. The defense team’s only other option is to simply not review the evidence being used against their client - which should be grounds for claiming inadequate/poor representation. 

asking for an inactive/“decommissioned” scif be reactivated is not that big of an ask, unless there has been serious changes to it since it was last certified. I’ve been part of doing it before - I promise you this is not a huge deal. Asking for permission to review something in another location, that is qualified for the review, such that it help facilitates the defense moving faster to build their case, is also not an absurd request. 

The judge could rule either way and part of it may depend on what DOD says the lag time in getting it approved would be, who will pay that expense, and how that aligns with the courts preferred timeline. The judge could even rule that yea, they can use that - once it’s certified again. But timelines remain and in the meantime you’ll have to use one that’s currently certified and active. 

or that even once it is certified, the expense of securely transferring things on the government is unreasonable. 

but no this isn’t evidence they are guilty. And it’s not an unreasonable request. 

that said - I’d bet the real motivation is the potential delay they could get in having this request approved. But it’s not a sure thing. 

As I said the judge could rule - fine, but all expenses for certification and further transferring of documents is on the defendant, but all timelines remain, and until it is certified you have the option of not reviewing the material, or reviewing the material in an approved location. Not reviewing the material will not be grounds for future delays or objections to the evidence etc. 

in fact that would be my preferred ruling here. 

im curious that, if that is how the judge rules, whether they’d actually go forward with it. While it’s not a huge deal, it can be expensive; and with this classification level it could take a bit especially if there were changes to the location. 

so without the benefit of the delay, and having to shoulder the costs, I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t even bother if that’s the type of ruling they get. 

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

*checks calendar

Boy, we sure did get lucky that today is "Everyone Is An Expert On Establishing, Securing, and Maintaining A SCIF" Day.

it’s not a monumental feat here. There’s an established process.  It happens.  I’ve been part of it, although not at this classification level. 

i doubt it’s reasonable given timeline and expense - but it’s not absurd. And certainly following the courts rules is not evidence you’re guilty of the charges …

Just now, tshile said:

it’s not a monumental feat here. There’s an established process.  It happens.  I’ve been part of it, although not at this classification level. 

i doubt it’s reasonable given timeline and expense - but it’s not absurd. And certainly following the courts rules is not evidence you’re guilty of the charges …

I've never taken part in it but I have been in one (*I'm assuming, never heard it called a SCIF, just STAY THE **** OUT rooms.)

But I would imagine that given what has already happened amd the fact that Maralago regularly has foreign nationals, the government is going to tell Cannon to **** off with that idea.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I've never taken part in it but I have been in one (*I'm assuming, never heard it called a SCIF, just STAY THE **** OUT rooms.)

But I would imagine that given what has already happened amd the fact that Maralago regularly has foreign nationals, the government is going to tell Cannon to **** off with that idea.

A company I have worked for in the past was involved in building their own SCIF.  It takes a long time.  And then it takes a long time for it to get accredited.

14 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Stfo rooms made me 😂 so thanks for that

in the defense contractor world they’re called SCIF’s. 

im sure the DOJ will object

i don’t have any confidence canon will side with them 😂 

21 minutes ago, purbeast said:

A company I have worked for in the past was involved in building their own SCIF.  It takes a long time.  And then it takes a long time for it to get accredited.

Right. But I’ve worked on these projects in multiple states and counties. DOD breaks the country into zones and there’s a team of people assigned to these zones. Someone that works in your zone is assigned to govern you and who your FSO directly works with. 

While there are rules, they are subject to that persons interpretation. It creates a huge mess because things are inconsistent from one person to the next. For example I’ve had one built and accredited as a new sciff in a significantly shorter time than I’ve had one recertified. The only difference is we had one guy that was a total toolbag and it caused a long process that made no sense (compared to how everyone else does it)

additionally DOD/Homeland goes through ups and downs staffing wise and shortages can make a 6 month process take 18 months…

however it’s been a while since I’ve been involved in any of this and things change, and generally in the direction of more strict. So - grain of salt. 

Edited by tshile

I guess im late cause yall are talking about SCIFs and ****, but these stupid criminals really took detailed notes on how the fake electors thing was totally bogus and how it should sound legit to avoid and legal issues? Really! LOL 

I cant believe these people had access to so much power. Kinda freaks you out they were so ****ing dumb. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, tshile said:

How so? I believe it’s his right to have the ability to review this stuff

Yes, he has the right to discuss and review material.  But in a SCIF.  No one disputes this.  The request I was addressing was the one from Trump's council for the judge to allow them to review the material in a place that was once a SCIF, but is no longer approved.  This is illegal, and I dont believe for a minute the judge can simply set asside the law because its convenient for a defendant.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

I guess im late cause yall are talking about SCIFs and ****, but these stupid criminals really took detailed notes on how the fake electors thing was totally bogus and how it should sound legit to avoid and legal issues? Really! LOL 

The 1/6 rioters took pictures of themselves storming the Capitol. And posted them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Jabbyrwock said:

Yes, he has the right to discuss and review material.  But in a SCIF.  No one disputes this.  The request I was addressing was the one from Trump's council for the judge to allow them to review the material in a place that was once a SCIF, but is no longer approved.  This is illegal, and I dont believe for a minute the judge can simply set asside the law because its convenient for a defendant.

Possible proposed ruling:  Team Trump is allowed to begin the process of bringing their former SCIF up to code. (At their own expense). But while it's being built, they'll use an existing SCIF. No extensions while it's in progress. 

Edited by Larry
  • Thumb down 1

Trump Declares, ‘I’m Allowed To Do Everything’ While Discussing Charges Against Him

Former President Donald Trump said in an interview aired Wednesday night that as president, he was “allowed to do everything” under the Presidential Records Act.

Trump is under indictment in three jurisdictions, two of which are in federal court. One of those stems from his retention of government documents. Special Counsel Jack Smith alleges that some of that material is classified. The former president was supposed to give all government-generated documents to the National Archives upon leaving office. He also stands accused of obstructing the government’s efforts to retrieve them.

The former president pleaded not guilty to all counts.

Trump sat down for an interview with Newsmax’s Eric Bolling, who asked about Smith.

“He’s like a deranged human being,” Trump said. “I think he’s just a sick guy.”

He then turned to the documents case against him, stating that he’s “allowed to do everything”:

And I think we’re doing very well with that guy. But he is, he’s a sick puppy. And you know, you look at the boxes. I come under the Presidential Records Act. I’m allowed to do everything that you see.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, tshile said:

Stfo rooms made me 😂 so thanks for that

in the defense contractor world they’re called SCIF’s. 

im sure the DOJ will object

i don’t have any confidence canon will side with them 😂 

I know there are big as signs on the doors leading into those spaces but after 20 years, I don't know that I ever read it.  It was just understood. 

1 hour ago, Jabbyrwock said:

well.  And maybe I’m jumping to some bad assumptions here. 

but I assumed inherent to the request was that the scif would need to be recertified beforehand. 

i don’t believe there is any way for the judge to overrule the law on the handling of classified documents. So I didn’t assume they were asking to review them not in a scif, as you said that’s be illegal and I believe beyond the scope of the judges authority. 

I really think it’s inherent in the request that DOD would have to certify it again. 

and that this would introduce a delay for a group of people who’s only move at the moment seems to be fishing for delays 

🤷‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Possible proposed ruling:  Team Trump is allowed to begin the process of bringing their former SCIF up to code. (At their own expense). But while it's being built, they'll use an existing SCIF. No extensions while it's in progress. 

That’s literally what I said earlier. 

and I would bet, based on how the judge is has acted so far, that this is the ruling that makes the most sense. 

I also added that such a ruling would would likely result in trump team not even bothering. If he has to pay for it and there is no delays granted to accommodate it, they sort of lose the purpose (I believe) of the request …

• Like 1