Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump on Trial (Trump indicted for a fourth time in Georgia. Expands his record of most indictments by a former president)

Cooked Crack

Will Trump be convicted in any of his cases?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Will Trump be convicted in any of his cases?

• Yes. He's going 4 for 4. (including Georgia)
    • He's going to lose 3
    • Two for sure
    • He's only going to get convicted in one
    • No. He's going to skate

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Prosecutors might need to file a motion for a bench trial...no jury, judge decides. 

Think that’s something dependent on the defense. The prosecutor can object but I don’t think they can request it. 

Also - we see this “they just need 1 juror” thing with every single one of these. All those Jan 6 people, the people in the campaign/administration, we saw it with every one of them. 

and yet people were found guilty and sentenced. 

juror selection is an important part of the process and it’s reasonable to expect the prosecutors team to do a good job. It’s obviously something on their radar. Doesn’t mean it’s fool proof, but again we’ve seen the claim made each time and yet we have a list of guilty verdicts. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 4

Just now, The Evil Genius said:

I believe rhe defendant has a choice or jury or bench trial for criminal trials. And the voir dire process usually gets rid of the worst jurors...for both sides.  

Voir dire usually does...but here's that one instance where it may not.  There may be a liar as good as TFG up there.

• Thumb up 1

29 minutes ago, tshile said:

Also - we see this “they just need 1 juror” thing with every single one of these. All those Jan 6 people, the people in the campaign/administration, we saw it with every one of them. 

and yet people were found guilty and sentenced. 

juror selection is an important part of the process and it’s reasonable to expect the prosecutors team to do a good job. It’s obviously something on their radar. Doesn’t mean it’s fool proof, but again we’ve seen the claim made each time and yet we have a list of guilty verdicts. 

I think only a handful of the Jan 6 defendants had jury trials, maybe less than 10...the rest plead guilty or had their cases before a judge. But yeah, what you said applies to those defendants that did have juries. Trump may be a different breed of defendant in this issue, though.

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated

Right of jury trial for serious offenses is a 6th Amendment right.  It applies to any charges with potential sentence longer than 6 months.  Some states grant the right to prosecution as well as the defendant (in VA, all three, state, defendant, as well as the judge, needs to sign off on a jury trial waiver), but no state can abridge it narrower than the 6th Amendment.

But 1 jury holding out is not an acquittal, it's a mistrial and state can retry the case.

• Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I think only a handful of the Jan 6 defendants had jury trials, maybe less than 10...the rest plead guilty or had their cases before a judge. But yeah, what you said applies to those defendants that did have juries. Trump may be a different breed of defendant in this issue, though.

There have been more than that.  This was from the end of January where there have been 35 contested suits with 19 going to jury trials.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/are-jan-6-defendants-getting-fair-shake-dc-juries-comparing-jury-and-bench-trial-outcomes

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

There have been more than that.  This was from the end of January where there have been 35 contested suits with 19 going to jury trials.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/are-jan-6-defendants-getting-fair-shake-dc-juries-comparing-jury-and-bench-trial-outcomes

I remembered reading back in the fall that there had been about 6 jury trials, so no doubt my info is dated. Still, 19 out of, what...500 cases?