Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Larsen might signal the end for Roullier, unless he takes a significant cut.

Keim already mentioned they want Chase back.  I think Norwell gets cut, but they may keep him as vet depth.

Right now, I figure the OL is:

Starters:

RT:  Wylie

RG:  Cosmi

C.  Rouiller

LG:  Gates

LT:  Leno

Backups:

Lucas (T)

Paul (G/T)

Larson (C)

Norwell (cut potential and replaced with a drafted rookie)

Edited by mhd24
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Figured this was happening. Wish they kept him. 

Almost $12M of dead cap assuming it’s a pre June 1 release. Does create almost $5M of cap room though. 

He looked close to washed - lost the burst he used to have.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Keim already mentioned they want Chase back.  I think Norwell gets cut, but they may keep him as vet depth.

Starters:

C.  Rouiller

Backups:

Lucas (T)

Paul (G/T)

Larson (C)

Think I’d put Gates to C and move Roullier on. Bring in another LG with the cash being saved. Then draft a tackle as we need to get a longer term solution on the books. Norwell agreed would go.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Think I’d put Gates to C and move Roullier on. Bring in another LG with the cash being saved. Then draft a tackle as we need to get a longer term solution on the books. Norwell agreed would go.

Chase bang your girlfriend or something? You really don't seem to like him.

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Starters:

C.  Rouiller

Backups:

Lucas (T)

Paul (G/T)

Larson (C)

I had high hopes for Norwell when we first brought him in. Hoping he would be more than a JAG.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

They should move on 1 major injury is one thing but 2 back-to-back years.   RR and Co. need to let go of Chase and sign a bonafide C or OG since we signed Gates and use the money from Chase to take care of our LB issue now.  

15 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Almost $12M of dead cap assuming it’s a pre June 1 release. Does create almost $5M of cap room though. 

He looked close to washed - lost the burst he used to have.

I honestly think Perine would get the call before Zeke if someone was looking for a back.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Chase bang your girlfriend or something? You really don't seem to like him.

If Chase is healthy and this staff is confident in his play this year then:

LT: Leno

LG: Gates

OC: Roullier

RG: Cosmi

RT: Wylie

If Chase is NOT healthy this year, and is seen as a possible liability (esp. at his pay range), then:

LG: Norwell/Paul

OC: Gates

EITHER scenario ... the line is slightly upgraded. But we need some blue-chippers - that'll come via draft IMO. I think we draft a Tackle and Center regardless, and might be done in FA, but LG being left to Norwell/Paul is okay, IF, you have studs elsewhere. Not sure Gates is a stud at Center, Leno is not a stud at LT ... Cosmi/Wylie are fine but not studs. So we gotta get younger and get more upside in the draft.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

I honestly think Perine would get the call before Zeke if someone was looking for a back.

I would expect him to retire. He’s made millions - can’t see him wanting to get the crap beaten out of himself in a short yardage/goalline and 4 minute offense type role for way way less than he’s been making.

He’s another cautionary tale on giving running backs big second contracts.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If Chase is healthy and this staff is confident in his play this year then:

LG: Gates

OC: Roullier

If Chase is NOT healthy this year, and is seen as a possible liability (esp. at his pay range), then:

LG: Norwell/Paul

OC: Gates

EITHER scenario ... the line is slightly upgraded. But we need some blue-chippers - that'll come via draft IMO. I think we draft a Tackle and Center regardless, and might be done in FA, but LG being left to Norwell/Paul is okay, IF, you have studs elsewhere. Not sure Gates is a stud at Center, Leno is not a stud at LT ... Cosmi/Wylie are fine but not studs. So we gotta get younger and get more upside in the draft.

I was just typing this in the draft thread. Wylie is not good and Gates isn't really either. They're borderline starters, not locks.

If we draft OT in round 1, it pushes Wylie back to where he should be. BU RT/RG and this draft has too many great Cs to ignore. I don't know if we go early with JMS or late for Olu Olu or an all around guy like Avila who can back up the entire IOL.

We have options now, which is nice, but Oline is still the number one priority.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I was just typing this in the draft thread. Wylie is not good and Gates isn't really either. They're borderline starters, not locks.

If we draft OT in round 1, it pushes Wylie back to where he should be. BU RT/RG and this draft has too many great Cs to ignore. I don't know if we go early with JMS or late for Olu Olu or an all around guy like Avila who can back up the entire IOL.

We have options now, which is nice, but Oline is still the number one priority.

Keim said Wylie was signed to be the RT.  I don't think anyone we draft will prevent that.  Now, we could draft someone like Harrison/Broderick Jones and basically "red shirt" them.  That's not the wisest use of resources, but I could see it.

1 minute ago, mhd24 said:

Keim said Wylie was signed to be the RT.  I don't think anyone we draft will prevent that.  Now, we could draft someone like Harrison/Broderick Jones and basically "red shirt" them.  That's not the wisest use of resources, but I could see it.

No issue redshirting an OT like Jones or Harrison ... those two could be franchise LTs.

@Koolblue13 I agree 100% that OL is a massive priority still. Gates and Wylie improve the floor and depth, but we need to raise the ceiling. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I'm sure we did sign him to be the RT, but if we draft a guy who is better, Wylie is going to RG or the bench and being able to replace Leno and Roullier next season would be great moves.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Maybe, but the idea of Bush really gets me excited.

How much would you have to pay for Bush though?  And are you only renting Bush short-term?  I could certainly seeing paying for Bush while waiting/hoping for a better option down the road…

Why are you all looking at me like that?

• Haha 4

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

I'm sure we did sign him to be the RT, but if we draft a guy who is better, Wylie is going to RG or the bench and being able to replace Leno and Roullier next season would be great moves.

You don't park an 8 million RT on the bench.  Cosmi is moving to guard.  That is going to be the right side.  Now, I could see us taking Skoronski (if he's there), playing him at LG, and then seeing if he can be a LT next year for example.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Logan Paulsen was talking about this some, he said if they can draft a really good RT, move Wylie to LG.  He like Wylie but likes him better at guard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

You don't park an 8 million RT on the bench.  Cosmi is moving to guard.  That is going to be the right side.  Now, I could see us taking Skoronski (if he's there), playing him at LG, and then seeing if he can be a LT next year for example.

Would Skoronski be a LG? I was under the impression he'd either be a RT, or a RG. Idk how inter-changeable Guard can be. But drafting Skoronski as LG would be sweet, if there was a chance he could move to LT in 2024.

I don't think you pay Wylie $8m per year and Gates $5m per year to sit on the bench. I think they're starters that can be supplanted, but right now they're starters.

Skoronski would kick Gates either to the bench or to Center. Then what about Roullier?

That's why I think Roullier is the key here. If he's here, and starting, then we definitely draft a Center this year somewhere between R2 and R5 to be his immediate successor (Roullier is owed $12m next year). If he is cut, and let go, then that opens up Gates to Center, which means LG is open ... 

The Center - LG dynamic with Gates and Roullier will end up dictating whether we prioritize Guard or Center along with Tackle in the draft. That said, there's a lot of deisre from this FO to have guys with positional flexibility, so which Centers can play Guard? Which Guards can play Center? Those are likely our mid-round targets. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Logan Paulsen was talking about this some, he said if they can draft a really good RT, move Wylie to LG.  He like Wylie but likes him better at guard.

That's an interesting point. I know Wylie has played LG, RG and RT.

I know position flex is the name of the game on our OL. Depending on who we draft, you could have Gates at LG or Center ... Wylie at RT or LG ... can be a real advantage to head into the draft with that sort of flexibility. I just crave some blue-chippers. We don't have any of those (Roullier is the closest when healthy). Cosmi COULD get there at RG. I have faith he could get close. But other than those two, Wylie, Gates, Leno ... just okay to solid. 

I want a great OL. You can get that at LG and Center in Round 2 most years. Hard to get that without a Top 10 pick at LT, but Broderick Jones and Anton Harrison seem closest to raw/upside LT in this draft, and I think could benefit at RT a year (or as the 6th lineman) while learning the ropes. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RWJ said:

@Skinsinparadise I think the Bucs were bulls eyeing Mayfield from what I read.  He has the talent he just needs to put it all together, especially mentally. 

yep that rumor has been out there for ahwile with Tampa.

If Brissett is this team's top desire at backup QB,and it seems like multiple teams are in on him -- this might help shake this out

Standig seems convinced that Dalton or Brissett would be the worst backup here because they almost for certain would beat Howell. 

Not sure he's right.

Also, if they thought that then Brissett would't be on their radar screen.  I don't know if that's who they land but i 100% believe Keim he's on their wish list.

Edited by Skinsinparadise