Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Barkley averages 868 yards a year, 4.3 YPC.  I think its borderline nuts to spend big money on a 2nd contract for a RB

If we want to blow off a weakness to spend big on RB #3, I'd go Pollard over Barkley.  Likely cheaper and since he has become Dallas featured back, he's averaged 1006 yards, and 4.8 YPC.

But my desire is doing nada at RB.

They aren't going to get all of this in FA -- 2 edges, CB, FS, MLB, TE, OT, OG, C. MLB.  Something will have to give because they don't have money to do all of that.  But to that point to forgo another spot in FA to add an expensive RB feels a bit crazy to me.  

Like heck OK we will suck it up with Cody Barton again but heck at least now we have three RBs studs instead of just 2. 

I agree, don't see the analytic crew signing off on a pile of $ thrown at a vet RB.

They either sign a lesser known and used young FA or they use a late day 3 pick on RB (teamer that maybe that can be used as returner also). I can see a trade back on day two or three to gain extra pick(s) for late rounds.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I agree, don't see the analytic crew signing off on a pile of $ thrown at a vet RB.

They either sign a lesser known and used young FA or they use a late day 3 pick on RB (teamer that maybe that can be used as returner also). I can see a trade back on day two or three to gain extra pick(s) for late rounds.  

I can see it if this was a team pushing for a SB now.  Get the last 2 years out of Barkley for a big run.  But this team signing an expensive injury prone 27 year old RB makes little sense IMO.  If there was no cap?  Then sure, why not.  But that signing will come at the expense of another.   also as you know, there is plenty to cull from in this draft at RB. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

27 isn't young for a RB.  Portis for example was almost done at that age.  Been injury prone too.   It's almost a cliche in the anayltics community that you don't give a RB a 2nd big contract -- and Shen the anayltics guy here actually said the same in one of his lectures.

Robinson is a good back.  So basically to discard Robinson for an aging injured back who wants big money seems odd.

But for me more on point with this teams needs -- CB, O line, S, Edge, TE, MLB, am not blowing one of those spots off to strengthen further one of their few strengths,

I recall the Hard Knocks show when the Dolphins were headed to play this team and they didn't seem to respect this offense a heck of a lot aside from the RBs.

I would take a shot at Ekler at half the price 7/8 mil with incentives because he is that quick 3rd down back that we do not have. But prefer to go to the draft. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Drafted by Mayhew then acquired by Mayhew after he moved to SF having been fired by DET. I think, and not like that is relevant now 😂

Yeah I saw all those connections mentioned on twitter.  His stats are borderline horrendous.  Not easy for a guard to give up 7 sacks.  But he's very durable.

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Barkley averages 868 yards a year, 4.3 YPC.  I think its borderline nuts to spend big money on a 2nd contract for a RB

He also averaged 7.3 YPR..........which is the part of his game that intrigued me most at this point of his career. He would fit great in this offense catching passes.....would be a great option for our Rookie QB to have.

But Im definitely not beating the drum for him, $13-$14 mill per year would be crazy....

Edited by LetMeSeeYourWarFace21
  • Thumb up 1

28 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

He also averaged 7.3 YPR..........which is the part of his game that intrigued me most me most at this point of his career. He would fit great in this offense catching passes.....would be a great option for our Rookie QB to have.

But Im definitely not beating the drum for him, $13-$14 mill per year would be crazy....

That's why I was beating the drum for Ekeler/Pollard, either one could be had for half that price and would immediately improve the offense

Free agency is about supply and demand - this huge supply at the RB position this offseason, something we haven't seen in a long time, could really help keep down the prices. Especially in regard to ekeler/pollard who just had down seasons

Edited by WashingtonRedWolves
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Spending any sort of significant money on a RB goes against everything this FO believes in. It's not happening. Especially an older one with an injury history.

Normally I’d agree, but RBs are cheap now. These guys won’t break the bank in money or years, and we have all that cap room burning a hole in our pocket. A stud RB will make our line look better, and help protect our rookie QB. And a reliable veteran presence around so many young guys seems prudent. 

edit: I’d add that SF traded for CMC and Detroit signed Montgomery and spent a high first on Gibbs, so I’m not sure if your assessment of what our FO believes in regarding running backs value is necessarily accurate. 

Edited by woodpecker

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Our run game coordinator has already said that he's excited to work with BRob. We also have 2nd year CRod.

We don't need another RB like that. We need a speedy CoP back. 

He also said he likes versatile running backs. I agree, I don’t like one-dimensional “speed” backs. C-rod is only a project at this point, we have no idea if he can play. I do agree you can find good running backs late in the draft though, so either way is fine with me. Running backs are cheap, both in free agency and in the draft. I’d like to make sure we have two we can rely on. C-Rod and a late draft pick are not proven reliable options.

Edited by woodpecker

29 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

Normally I’d agree, but RBs are cheap now. These guys won’t break the bank in money or years......

Facts, if we didnt already have a power back in B-Rob, I would love to get Derrick Henry or Josh Jacobs.....they wont be dirt cheap, but they'll be cheap.....

I want De'Von Archane (Dolphins) SPEED in our backfield. REAL speed to pair with B-Rob.  Whoever the fastest pass catching RB in the draft is, I want him. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

There are three truths in the world:

1. Never get involved in a land war in Asia.

2. Sydney Sweeney is hot.

3. Never spend big money on a Running Back

To quote Thomas Jefferson, who put it so eloquently in the Declaration of Independence: "we hold these truths to be self-evident"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We haven't had a RB break a run of 40+ yards since Derrius Guice. Think about how long ago that was.

A dynamic game breaking back is a huge need for us.

Need a good O-Line to even have a chance at doing that first.....the guys we have now could do that if we had a serviceable Oline IMHO.....

37 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We haven't had a RB break a run of 40+ yards since Derrius Guice. Think about how long ago that was.

A dynamic game breaking back is a huge need for us.

Sighhhhh.....my man PolterGuice..........what couldve been........****in waste of talent annnd 2nd round draft pick...

37 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There are three truths in the world:

1. Never get involved in a land war in Asia.

2. Sydney Sweeney is hot.

3. Never spend big money on a Running Back

To quote Thomas Jefferson, who put it so eloquently in the Declaration of Independence: "we hold these truths to be self-evident"

Apparently, San Fran (CMC) and Detroit (Montgomery) didn’t get the memo. And it’s not going to cost “big money“ otherwise I’d agree. Seems like a market inefficiency where you can get a lot of on field contribution for your dollar. If somebody is giving them big money, then yeah, move on. But for a reasonable price that we can easily afford without affecting our ability to improve other positions, it’s worth at least considering. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

27 isn't young for a RB.  Portis for example was almost done at that age.  Been injury prone too.   It's almost a cliche in the anayltics community that you don't give a RB a 2nd big contract -- and Shen the anayltics guy here actually said the same in one of his lectures.

While not overly optimistic, I don't dismiss the idea of investing in an elite, game-changing RB during the ages of 27 and 28.

Hoping the analytics team explores emerging arbitrage opportunities, perhaps in the veteran RB market. Conforming to cliché analytics leads to falling behind; let's embrace innovation, take calculated risks, and stay ahead of the curve – akin to Shen's recent comments relating to the TE position.

Robinson is a good back.  So basically to discard Robinson for an aging injured back who wants big money seems odd.

A little thunder and lightning - 70/30 split/situational. 

But for me more on point with this teams needs -- CB, O line, S, Edge, TE, MLB, am not blowing one of those spots off to strengthen further one of their few strengths,

Not a strict either-or situation, but I'm a sucker for elite talent. If the team secures an elite RB for $25 million guaranteed over 2 years in his upcoming 27 and 28 year old seasons, count me intrigued. You don’t have to sign these dudes to 4-5 year contracts. 

I recall the Hard Knocks show when the Dolphins were headed to play this team and they didn't seem to respect this offense a heck of a lot aside from the RBs.

I'm not insisting it should happen, but acquiring elite talent for 4% of the cap could offer substantial ROI, compared to spending the same amount on an average O-lineman, CB, or edge player – not the most appealing option. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Spending any sort of significant money on a RB goes against everything this FO believes in. It's not happening. Especially an older one with an injury history.

It has become the worst position in terms of career longevity and money in the league. By the time they get off the rookie deal, half their shelf life is over.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wit33 said:

While not overly optimistic, I don't dismiss the idea of investing in an elite, game-changing RB during the ages of 27 and 28.

Hoping the analytics team explores emerging arbitrage opportunities, perhaps in the veteran RB market. Conforming to cliché analytics leads to falling behind; let's embrace innovation, take calculated risks, and stay ahead of the curve – akin to Shen's recent comments relating to the TE position.

A little thunder and lightning - 70/30 split/situational. 

Not a strict either-or situation, but I'm a sucker for elite talent. If the team secures an elite RB for $25 million guaranteed over 2 years in his upcoming 27 and 28 year old seasons, count me intrigued. You don’t have to sign these dudes to 4-5 year contracts. 

I'm not insisting it should happen, but acquiring elite talent for 4% of the cap could offer substantial ROI, compared to spending the same amount on an average O-lineman, CB, or edge player – not the most appealing option. 

Anayltics is party about cost benefit anaylsis.   I don't think a new cutting edge trend will ever be signing aging injury prone RBs on a 2nd contract for 10 million plus. 

If you want to go against the grain, as Shen mentioned in the same lecture, draft a high impact RB high in the draft.   I've been on board with that idea for years.  Many analytics types don't love taking a RB high in the draft.  That trend might change.  I can't see a trend ever becoming -- screw caring about age and screw caring about money when it comes to RB signings in FA. 

Fortunately in this draft, you don't have to shoot high for a RB.  Arguably there are like 8 RBs who can make a major impact and could likely be had in the third-4th round. 

To me also none of these FA conversations are based in a vaccum.  It's about this or that.  Would i want for example a major impact Mike LB or a 27 year old RB.  I can't have both.  i am taking a LB.  

We got a zillion needs.  This isn't SF or the Ravens looking for that last piece -- that last luxury signing that can put them over the top.  We need CB, FS, OG, OT, MLB, Two DEs, TE.  Clearly we aren't getting all of that, something has to give.  If we sign a RB for big money, more has to give.  That is, more holes on the roster.

Sadly because my wife is a Giants fans I've watched most of Barkley's games.    He's a bit of a feast or famine runner.   Big plays or gets stuffed very often.  Streaky and gets hurt a lot.  He's been mostly a dissapointment for the Giants.   His best season was his rookie season.  Next best is 2 seasons ago.  I don't get the vibe at all that the best is yet to come for Barkley where he defies his age.  He had less than 4 YPC last year.  The Giants didn't give him the contract he wanted for a reason.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1