Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

CB Xavien Howard getting released by the Dolphins.  Even though he finished '23 hurt, he still is a very good CB.  Release is due to Miami needing the space and Howard carrying an enormous cap number in '24.  He is known as a very good man corner, something we need with DQ taking over.  The off-season has begun!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article285384867.html

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2021/07/27/xavien-howard-trade-miami-dolphins/

This article is a few years old.

Edited by KillBill26
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

CB Xavien Howard getting released by the Dolphins.  Even though he finished '23 hurt, he still is a very good CB.  Release is due to Miami needing the space and Howard carrying an enormous cap number in '24.  He is known as a very good man corner, something we need with DQ taking over.  The off-season has begun!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article285384867.html

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2021/07/27/xavien-howard-trade-miami-dolphins/

This article is a few years old.

Howard is 30. Not old but also not young. Hard to see how he would "fit" our needs as a team. Yes, we need a CB, but do we need a shut-down CB in Year 1 of a "rebuild" / "retool" ... 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

He is a former Terp who went to HS at Good Counsel.  That local HS class in this area was pretty loaded that year with Christian Darrisaw, Trevon Diggs, and Dwayne Haskins.   Both him and Haskins were committed to Maryland at one point but were both poached by Ohio State after the interim HC Mike Locksley was not retained as the HC.   After 3 years at Ohio St Keandre Jones ended transferring back to UMD for his last two seasons.  Nothing special as a NFL player, but he is made a couple NFL 53 opening day rosters before so he is decent, but realistically an end of the roster guy, not guaranteed to make the team depending on who else we get at LB in free agency and the draft.

Edited by philibusters
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

The cap going up more than expected hurts us more than helps us.  Yes we have more cap space, but so does everyone else.  This will allow teams more of a chance to retain players we were hoping would hit the market, and would also allow them to avoid having to make tough decisions and potentially release players who could help us.  We were already flush with cap space, I wish it didn't go up as much and we could watch some of these other teams be hamstrung.

That's the first way I looked at it when I heard the cap news but maybe the agents will encourage their players to hit the market to see their values before re-signing with their old teams given that everyone has more money? I know this, guys like Mahomes are gonna hold out for contract renegotiations for sure given the cap raise. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Howard is 30. Not old but also not young. Hard to see how he would "fit" our needs as a team. Yes, we need a CB, but do we need a shut-down CB in Year 1 of a "rebuild" / "retool" ... 

recalibration is the Quinn word :ols:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I think they want to be competitive sooner rather than later.  A veteran corner who can play man and is still playing well will be very attractive to Quinn imo.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

OTC has updated our cap (Cap + Rollover) to $263m. That's $87m in cap space.

That gives us $93.5m in cap space once the obvious cutting of Logan Thomas occurs.

This is crazy. We are going to go nuts in FA. Money will not be a factor in us getting the guys we are targeting. And hopefully players are going to be excited to come here for once. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 1

Just now, clskinsfan said:

This is nuts. We are going to go nuts in FA. Money will not be a factor in us getting the guys we are targeting. And hopefully players are going to be excited to come here for once. 

It'll be like building an expansion team with all the new faces. We're gonna need to have a team banquest in June just to let everyone meet and get to know each other. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

The cap going up more than expected hurts us more than helps us.  Yes we have more cap space, but so does everyone else.  This will allow teams more of a chance to retain players we were hoping would hit the market, and would also allow them to avoid having to make tough decisions and potentially release players who could help us.  We were already flush with cap space, I wish it didn't go up as much and we could watch some of these other teams be hamstrung.

The flip side to that is players are going to ask for more of the pie. Salaries are going to skyrocket imo. And we are in the best position when that happens. 

• Like 1

The thing is, cap space does roll over year-to-year... so you're still maintaining a competitive advantage long-term by not going on some crazy spending spree when your team's still not truly competitive enough to compete for a championship.  When you're legitimately a SB contender, that's when you should go all out.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, FlyBigBeard said:

Wait til we trade Jonathan Allen 💰 that number will look real nice. 

I’m gonna go out on a limb and suggest that Jon Allen is having 2nd thoughts about wanting out...

I think he stays 😁

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 1

26 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

This is crazy. We are going to go nuts in FA. Money will not be a factor in us getting the guys we are targeting. And hopefully players are going to be excited to come here for once. 

Agreed.  If I were making the decisions (good that I'm not), I'd be willing to set the market for the available offensive linemen.  No way we want a rookie QB behind a questionable o-line.  Also don't want to be in the same position as last year during the draft where we desperately needed to draft OL, would much rather have flexibility at draft time.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 1

35 minutes ago, illone said:

I’m gonna go out on a limb and suggest that Jon Allen is having 2nd thoughts about wanting out...

I think he stays 😁

Well fortunately/unfortunately it's not up to him haha ...time to trade him while he is has value like the good organizations do with players that they know is not going to be around in the next 3/4 years. You got to look ahead of just now. 

3 hours ago, Whiskeypeet said:

At OT, doesn't Jonah Williams make sense for the team?  Can play both sides which gives us flexibility to draft either LT/RT (assuming a worthy prospect is available to us). 

He didn’t play that well last season - which was his first at RT. I’d like to think we could do better. 

I guess he’s an upgrade on Wiley. But than so is a wheelie bin.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

25.  Andre James

26.  Patrick Queen

27.  Chase Young

I hope the rest of the NFL overlooks Queen as much as Prisco does.

I feel Queen is getting a lot of notice based on the past years really good season.

I see him as a little overrated. The Ravens bringing in stud Roquan Smith was key to Queen's big season

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

He didn’t play that well last season - which was his first at RT. I’d like to think he was could do better. 

Per PFF, he definitely graded better in prior years when playing LT and might profile (for us) as a Leno replacement.  Either way, and like you said, he'd still be an upgrade on Wiley and give us some flexibility in the draft.  Absent chasing Onwenu (who you mentioned specifically), not a ton of other FA options and thus I'd be willing to throw $$ at the position to avoid entering the draft in dire need.  If we are going w/a rookie QB, it feels like a huge gamble to come out of FA without better alternatives than what we had last year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I feel Queen is getting a lot of notice based on the past years really good season.

I see him as a little overrated. The Ravens bringing in stud Roquan Smith was key to Queen's big season

Valid point, but to rank him behind the raiders center, when Prisco prefaced that his rankings were based on positional value, and having the vastly overrated underachiever chase young right after him seems like he isn't giving Queen enough credit.

We have needs at C, LB, and DE, and if I could pick one of those 3, it's Queen by a mile.  

5 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Valid point, but to rank him behind the raiders center, when Prisco prefaced that his rankings were based on positional value, and having the vastly overrated underachiever chase young right after him seems like he isn't giving Queen enough credit.

We have needs at C, LB, and DE, and if I could pick one of those 3, it's Queen by a mile.  

Yeah you are correct, the other two are less appealing!  I sure am ready for FA! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

He didn’t play that well last season - which was his first at RT. I’d like to think we could do better. 

SMH, British. :rofl89:

• Haha 6