Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

I'd love to add Jaire and McKinney and keep Fuller. That's a bad ass secondary with Quan and Butler. Should help Forbes, too.

Alexander (Sneed would be awesome, too)

McKinney (or Winfield who I might like better)

Fant

Hunter

Tyron Smith (to replace Leno) (maybe Onwenu)

David, Luvu, Al-Shaair, Wagner

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd love to add Jaire and McKinney and keep Fuller. That's a bad ass secondary with Quan and Butler. Should help Forbes, too.

Kyle Dugger and Ahkello Witherspoon for me in the secondary. Jordyn Brooks at LB. 

• Like 2

I dont see us spending big on that many known FAs. Yes we have cap space but GMAP emphasized were going to build thru the draft and use FA as a supplement which is the smart way to do it. The 49ers didnt trade for McCaffery or Williams until after they were already a good team, the rest of their team is mostly holegrown drafted and developed guys. 

I think hell focus on extending Cosmi, possibly Curl, and then focus mostly on lower cost guys on 1-2 year deals to meet the minimum spend requirements.

I do think though that if Ben Johnson becomes our Hc then LG Jonah Jackson becomes a legit target. Just too perfect of a fit. 

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I dont see us spending big on that many known FAs. Yes we have cap space but GMAP emphasized were going to build thru the draft and use FA as a supplement which is the smart way to do it. The 49ers didnt trade for McCaffery or Williams until after they were already a good team, the rest of their team is mostly holegrown drafted and developed guys. 

I think hell focus on extending Cosmi, possibly Curl, and then focus mostly on lower cost guys on 1-2 year deals to meet the minimum spend requirements.

I do think though that if Ben Johnson becomes our Hc then LG Jonah Jackson becomes a legit target. Just too perfect of a fit. 

It’s going to be interesting to see their process.  I believe Harris said we’re going to turn this around in a hurry, and Peters said it’s not a rebuild.  I think Harris understands the fans need/want to see serious progress, though of course none of those factors necessarily mean we’ll be aggressive in FA.  I’m with you in that I wouldn’t expect to see trades of picks for players initially, but not so sure about FA.  We’ll see.

We don’t really have many big time re-signings coming due in the near future beyond Cosmi (I suppose Fuller and Curl are possibilities though), so signing bigger FAs might not really affect our cap future much, particularly w/ a rookie qb salary.  Perhaps those FAs are gone by the time we’re contending (if we get to that point), but they could open up the draft, allow guys to develop behind them, and for the most part they wouldn’t stop me from drafting that same position (I’d still look at T, ILB, corner, edge in the draft, maybe not LG or S though…).  I also see the appeal of short term contracts - as stopgaps, as tryouts for longer contracts, and/or to (potentially) gain comp picks, and leaves future cap space available.  No idea how this plays out, but I think I lean toward them being fairly aggressive.  And generally speaking, I prefer quality over quantity, particularly for this team that’s been lacking high end talent.  Both approaches have some logic to them IMO.

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

Certainly hope Peters/Johnson give serious thought about signing OG Jonah Jackson from Detroit and possibly OT Matt Nelson from Detroit, if healthy.  There is also Glasgow and we might have interest in him but he will cost some coin and Jackson isn't going to be cheap.  

Wonder if we might bring back Samuel.  I get those wanting the big wr addition (and no reason returning Samuel rules out drafting that type of guy), but a speedy, gadget player is surely appealing to a guy like Ben Johnson…

I’d lean towards it not happening - deep draft and lots of higher priority FA needs - but maybe?

Edited by skinny21

8 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Wonder if we might bring back Samuel.  I get those wanting the big wr addition (and no reason returning Samuel rules out drafting that type of guy), but a speedy, gadget player is surely appealing to a guy like Ben Johnson…

I’d lean towards it not happening - deep draft and lots of higher priority FA needs - but maybe?

Samuel and Allen are on the trading block. In my opinion 

15 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

We absolutely need to replace his skill set but it looks like the draft is filled to the brim at WR so I don't feel the need to pay anybody to get it.

7 minutes ago, FlyBigBeard said:

Samuel and Allen are on the trading block. In my opinion 

C. Sam is a FA.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

We absolutely need to replace his skill set but it looks like the draft is filled to the brim at WR so I don't feel the need to pay anybody to get it.

C. Sam is a FA.

Well one year to late on that, should of traded him for a ham sandwich last year. 

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

Just draft Malachi Corley

• Like 1

19 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

C. Sam is a FA.

The Samuel contract confuses me. On over the cap, he has a 4.8M cap hit. I understand his 24 season was a “fake” season on his contract and that he is a FA. But does that mean we’ll have $4.8M of dead cap space for him? Or is it conditional based on his next contract?

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

The Samuel contract confuses me. On over the cap, he has a 4.8M cap hit. I understand his 24 season was a “fake” season on his contract and that he is a FA. But does that mean we’ll have $4.8M of dead cap space for him? Or is it conditional based on his next contract?

I think it's dead money. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

It is a void year. A fake year(s) added to the end of a contract to help spread the burden of money and lower the cap hit on the earlier years of the contract.

C. Sam is going to cost us another 4.8M at some point.

If we let him walk, it will charge against 2024s Cap. It would be dead cap.

If we give him an extension, we can play w/ the numbers and kick the can down the road if we want to I believe.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ball Security said:

The 12 million Signing Bonus was spread over 5 years.  If we look at the last note from sportrac contract details, the last 2 years are voided 4 days after SB and the fake/void years accelerate to 2024 dead money.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-commanders/curtis-samuel-21781/#:~:text=Curtis Samuel signed a 3,dead cap value of %244%2C800%2C000.

IDK if a new contract could be worked to pushed/spread out further since it is signing bonus related, but I don't know of an example where that happened.

image.thumb.png.a4325e88ced29bc8943d3b99d43a9beb.png

• Thanks 1

3rd down, passing downs

Screen Shot 2024-01-25 at 7.09.21 PM.png

On 1/24/2024 at 12:15 PM, RWJ said:

Certainly hope Peters/Johnson give serious thought about signing OG Jonah Jackson from Detroit and possibly OT Matt Nelson from Detroit, if healthy.  There is also Glasgow and we might have interest in him but he will cost some coin and Jackson isn't going to be cheap.  

Jonah isn't killer but he's solid.  I think if its Johnson, good shot Jackson is signed. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 6:32 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Fant

Hunter

Tyron Smith (to replace Leno) (maybe Onwenu)

David, Luvu, Al-Shaair, Wagner

Don’t forget Forrest.

• Like 1