Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

I’ve been pretty impressed with Hudson this season.  Anyone else notice him being quite… demonstrative last game?  Very curious what that was about - seemed like much of it was directed at the sideline?

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I’ve been pretty impressed with Hudson this season.  Anyone else notice him being quite… demonstrative last game?  Very curious what that was about - seemed like much of it was directed at the sideline?

I've seen him doing this in other games as well . Not sure if it's how he celebrates or he's sending a told you I should have started vibe.

• Like 2

I posted here yesterday of my concerns FA's will not want to come to Washington due to their full expected turnover and poor facilities.

Now that I have seen this new regime in action really on day one with kicking RR to the curb, I am back peddling. 

The agents and FA's will take note of how they jumped into action with a serious no holds barred plan. 

What a professional feel for this organization that I don't recall since Gibbs moved into racing

• Like 4

4 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I did notice that a couple of times. That one play where he looked and motioned towards the bench. Wonder what that was about too.

4 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Never understood why Mayo & Barton were ahead of him once Jamin went to IR.  I know he's smaller than those cats, but he can at least cover (something Mayo was allergic too).

26 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Never understood why Mayo & Barton were ahead of him once Jamin went to IR.  I know he's smaller than those cats, but he can at least cover (something Mayo was allergic too).

Wonder if that was a Del Rio vs Rivera thing (he played a lot the last 4 weeks), or due to how he looked when Barton was out (IIRC Barton missed some time recently?).

11 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

While there will be plenty of franchise tags 

this is a loaded FA class 

O-line and defense should be the focus 

I know Speilman isn’t our GM, but it’ll be interesting to see how we play things in FA given he said to Keim he strongly believes FA is to supplement, whereas Harris seems to want to turn this around in a hurry.  Obviously those points don’t necessarily oppose each other, but I could see going a bit lighter on FA than we might expect… at least until after a year of evaluation and getting everyone’s feet wet (the staff, new QB, etc). And not that in should inhibit us from spending, but there’s also the idea of extending some of our own in the near future.  Beyond Cosmi, I’m not sure who is likely to fit that bill though.  Actually kind of shocking how few guys I see as potentially worth extending down the line… maybe Forrest?  Of course, any contracts we sign wrap up before any of their own drafted guys will be due 2nd contracts.

Well free agency isn’t the devil. If you tried building a team without FAs you are you running a team with one hand tied behind your back 

The key is not paying washed up guys in FA or bad fits 

we should use it extensively along with the draft 

Edited by Skins199021
  • Like 1

What's interesting, we've primarily built through the draft since 2010.  The FA spending sprees essentially ended when Bruce got here, and continued through Rivera.

The only prominent FAs on our roster last year were:

QB: Brissett (backup QB)

RB: None. All were drafted.

WR: Samuel, Pringle if you want to call him "prominent"

TE: Logan Thomas, who was a bargain basement signing who worked out in 2020

DL: None.

LB: Barton, who was a bargain bin signing

CB: Depending on how you classify it, Fuller, but we did draft him. We drafted all the others.

Safety: None. We drafted all of them. 

This isn't really new.  There have been some FAs in the last 13 years, but not a ton.  And it wasn't the primary way the team was built.

We built through the draft.  We just did it badly.  

I firmly believe we need to be aggressive in both FA and the draft.  We've been way too passive since 2010. Attack success.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, mhd24 said:

It’s because those two guys play different roles. They are green dot MLB types. Khaleke is a WILL

1 hour ago, Skins199021 said:

Well free agency isn’t the devil. If you tried building a team without FAs you are you running a team with one hand tied behind your back 

The key is not paying washed up guys in FA or bad fits 

we should use it extensively along with the draft 

Too many fans on this board equate "older" with "washed up" and get it completely wrong. 30+ year old guys are some of the best bargains in FA as many sign 1 year or shorter term deals for lower AAVs than what they really deserve. The Ravens have had some notable examples of this over the past few years with Calais Campbell, Justin Houston and Morgan Moses. Not only do they provide value relative to cost but they also help fill the much needed leadership void has had for years.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

56 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

All that money in the middle of our DL and they can’t exceed 66 PFF.  Obviously PFF isn’t the end all be all, but it jives with what many of us were seeing most of the season.

What factors do you think contribute to the clear divergence in their impacts this season?

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

Who needs a FO when Chad Forbes already gave us the answer!

NOTE I have no idea who Chad Forbes is and that’s a joke.  I agree with him. 

He's a dude who prides himself as a FA expert.  He makes some media appearances including with Sheehan before FA.

I only posted it because I agree with him

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's a dude who prides himself as a FA expert.  He makes some media appearances including with Sheehan before FA.

I only posted it because I agree with him

If Macdonald did come I could see Clowney coming as a cheaper option. Feel like the big money would be going to Patrick queen and maybe even Johnson or Winfield . 

FYI Brian burns is my first big signing I’m hoping for . If we do trade Allen I wouldn’t mind cox coming in as a vet. 

2 minutes ago, Commander202 said:

If Macdonald did come I could see Clowney coming as a cheaper option. Feel like the big money would be going to Patrick queen and maybe even Johnson or Winfield . 

FYI Brian burns is my first big signing I’m hoping for . If we do trade Allen I wouldn’t mind cox coming in as a vet. 

No way does Carolina not franchise him if they can't extend him.  Tepper isn't going to let go of someone like Burns.

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

No way does Carolina not franchise him if they can't extend him.  Tepper isn't going to let go of someone like Burns.

I don’t think they will , if he not coming back after the ft than it’s a waste of time . There better off trying sign someone else .