Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

Shocked on the trade news. I get it, We'd be in salary cap hell and both have not not played up to expectations... still sad to see tho. Disappointed in a 3rd for Chase. That dude's gonna BALL in SF. Good value for sweat. Wonder how this affects the D as a whole.

3 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I have concerns about this, but it also makes perfect sense.

Every new owner wants to immediately put their stamp on their new team. Harris took over the team way too late to allow him to do anything meaningful. The trade deadline finally gave him the chance to play with his new toy.

On the one hand, it's perfectly normal.

On the other hand, Dan Snyder had the patience to wait for the off-season. (And, yes, I know the 99 team was good so Dan got to celebrate wins).

Next year is going to be weird. I assume we're going to have a new GM, a new coach, a new staff, a decent amount of draft capital......and an awful defense, a terrible offensive line, and a 5th round QB.

I have no earthly idea what the long-term plan is as this build is going to be just this side of an expansion team.  

Trust the process! But seriously ... I am ALL for trusting the process. And we have seen teams can turn around pretty quick in the NFL if the FO and coaching staff is high quality.

We go into the off-season with $90+ million in cap space and 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc etc ... draft well, sign some quality mid-level FAs to bolster some of the holes, and let the new reime build the team out, whether it be with Howell for a year or not. 

All I have ever wanted this team to do was BUILD draft capital and build through the draft. We have NOT added draft capital effectively and we have NOT managed our FA signings well OR drafted well under Ron. I'm excited for new eyes. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Passizle said:

Shocked on the trade news. I get it, We'd be in salary cap hell and both have not not played up to expectations... still sad to see tho. Disappointed in a 3rd for Chase. That dude's gonna BALL in SF. Good value for sweat. Wonder how this affects the D as a whole.

They may go to 32nd in points allowed from 31st? 

• Haha 3

Re: trent williams (plus others) he didn’t want to be here.  

I don’t understand why people have such a hard time with this.  You get assets when you can and you know you aren’t going to resign or they’re going to walk.  Who gives a **** what they do moving forward.  Different situation and they weren’t going to be here anyway.

something is better than nothing.  Just because they are currently on our roster doesn’t mean they are guaranteed ours for their careers.  They have choices and options 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Passizle said:

4 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I have to think this is bad for Sam Howell. Looks like they want to start over.

Saints and Rams have proven in recent years that you can work around the salary cap if you have a core group that you feel you can win with.  I think this has less to do with the salary cap and more to do with Harris realizing we aren't even close to being a contender.  He inherited a mess and he knows it. So he'd rather acquire some assets to help build because signing high priced veterans is not our best course of action right now.  

As far as Howell, he is a good young QB who has done a great job considering his offensive line and two lackluster offensive coordinators in only nine games.  Even though we are looking at a rebuild, it would be incredibly stupid to kick a good promising young quarterback to the curb and start over.  He is the kind of guy you want to start over with

Edited by KillBill26
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 3

1 minute ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I have to think this is bad for Sam Howell. Looks like they want to start over.

Not bad for Sam at all. He is clearly the future or they would have traded him too. 

For those of us who have been begging for a REAL rebuild for decades. The day is here! I am ecstatic. Yes there will be a couple of years of pain involved in this process. But we will be valuing the draft and youth going forward. Its a new time in Washington for sure. 

• Like 1

It’s truly fascinating to see how much people overreact to things like this on a bad team who hasn’t done anything in years.

Many of those folks are the same ones who wanted us to be more of a modern front office.

It’s going to be okay. Probably better than it used to be. 

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, steve09ru said:

Re: trent williams (plus others) he didn’t want to be here.  

I don’t understand why people have such a hard time with this.  You get assets when you can and you know you aren’t going to resign or they’re going to walk.  Who gives a **** what they do moving forward.  Different situation and they weren’t going to be here anyway.

something is better than nothing.  Just because they are currently on our roster doesn’t mean they are guaranteed ours for their careers.  They have choices and options 

That is true, but it sucks he wad the 2nd overall pick. He was sopose to be game changer, not a trade for third rd pick.